ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #481
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I agree with your main point, but you do seem to suggest that polygraph tests are reliable, which is rather a matter of controversy, no?
Yeah, they don't really work realiably at all. I don't think Elvis meant that they were; only that they're part of the process.
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #482
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
So Trump decided to Mulligan?
finely tuned machines never work properly first time around..
Old Today, 12:50 PM   #483
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I agree with your main point, but you do seem to suggest that polygraph tests are reliable, which is rather a matter of controversy, no?
They are a useful tool, not the be all, end all of screening out undesirable candidates. The test used is a standard set of questions and while a polygraph can be beaten, it does expose people you'd rather not have guarding the borders. It's really the questions that are asked and the fact that many believe that they can't get away with lying.

ETA: It does depend on the candidate. A guy I went to high school was a small-time but well-known drug dealer in his early 20s while going to college. He later applied to be a police officer and passed the polygraph which asks if you've ever used or sold drugs. (At least at that time, 25+ years ago)

Last edited by Spindrift; Today at 12:57 PM.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:48 PM   #484
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
So Trump decided to Mulligan?

Please. No golf metaphors.

Our Fearless Leader vowed during his campaign to spend his first months in office working on Making The Country Great, and not frittering away his valuable time on meaningless distractions like that Other Guy did for eight years.

We wouldn't want him to be tempted away from that fine resolve.
Old Today, 05:01 PM   #485
Spindrift

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Please. No golf metaphors.

Our Fearless Leader vowed during his campaign to spend his first months in office working on Making The Country Great, and not frittering away his valuable time on meaningless distractions like that Other Guy did for eight years.

We wouldn't want him to be tempted away from that fine resolve.
Too late for that.

Trump's first month in office by the hours:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.05ade5421794

Intelligence briefings: 6 hours
Golf: 25 hours
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:06 PM   #486
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I repeat: I am scared what will happen when we have the first Real International Crisis.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:30 PM   #487
Spindrift

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I repeat: I am scared what will happen when we have the first Real International Crisis.
No need to worry, President Bannon has a firm hand on the wheel.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics