ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th October 2018, 07:24 AM   #201
Wudang
BOFH

Bang! "Ok I shot the screen. Now what?"
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2018, 11:14 AM   #202
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
"I just got a quick question about my setup when I connect from home using my laptop. The remote connection seems to keep the sides of the screens as I was working from my office but I need that the side of the screen just get what is available in my laptop – double click the top of the screen I am working on seems that doesn’t work.

Appreciated your suggestions,

Cheers"

I have absolutely no idea what this person is asking.

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Maybe meant 'size' rather than 'side'? They want the remote session to use the laptop screen resolution as the maximum screen size, not scroll around the larger screen of the remote system?
That would be my guess, and it's pretty easy to do with mstsc, and probably Citrix (I haven't use Citrix enough to be familiar with its settings.) Then again, that's a message that makes you wonder how the sender ever manages to communicate anything to anybody in writing.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2018, 05:49 PM   #203
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
How is it in 2018 people don't understand that their monitor isn't their PC and vice versa?

Okay so to over simplify it somewhat the health care company I contract out to for IT support has two types of workstations in general use for their office, personnel, human resources, insurance, claims and billing and other general admin type workers. HP Small Form Factors (Elite Desk 800s mostly) and HP Thin Clients (T520s mostly).

Most of the worker bees get the Thin Clients because literally all their work is done in the company's web portal or various insurance and medical websites so all they need is a functioning web browser and very basic office and productivity software (MS Office, Adobe and.... and... hell that might actually be it) and the thin clients are substantially cheaper with lower overhead.

But... 10-20% abouts of the general admin/office workers for some reason or another, usually support of older legacy software, need to us a specialized piece of equipment (various scanners and mail postage scales and assorted other frippery), or other reasons require a full PC.

All pretty bog standard.

Anywho this one lady was getting moved from one position to another and in the process was being upgraded from a Thin Client PC to a full workstation.

It took me a legit hour to convince her that she could still keep her big dual monitor setup before she would let me swap out the machine. And again this is replacing her thin client with a full PC that would have all the capability plus some of her original machine.
Part of it is our fault, because we steadfastly refuse to refer to the computer as the "hard drive". As far as some people are concerned they have a computer, and they have a hard drive.

It's even worse, because a lot of our staff now have a DTA laptop, a docking station, and external monitors. Some of them still insist that they have a laptop and a computer. The screens attach to the computer, and they plug the laptop into the computer. They don't have a hard drive.

Yes, I've had this conversation. Several times.
Old 5th October 2018, 02:12 AM   #204
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Cue User: "Screen shot? How do I do that? I'm not a computer person I don't understand all these techie terms..."
Easy: take a picture of your screen with your smartphone, and send the picture via whatsapp to yours truly.
Old 5th October 2018, 02:26 AM   #205
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Easy: take a picture of your screen with your smartphone, and send the picture via whatsapp to yours truly.
I’ve certainly had that in trouble reports (and sometimes it was the only way to get a screenshot of the boot screen on a server in a data centre).
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 02:18 PM   #206
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Did my Post Grad Dip in CS in 83/4 so another old fart here. I've used Jackson structured programming, cleanroom, "it'll be fine in a few more 30-hour debugging sessions" etc and Agile really is the best. The problem is that like other paradigms someone reads a half-assed description which they misunderstand half of and then work with and/or criticize that.
We had to take ages to train our PM as he was old-school. He protested that what we were doing allowed users to sneak in new requirements. And we said yes and if they are needed we can fit them in the workstream. You run in short "sprints" where you have clearly defined achievable deliverables. It assumes a higher standard of programmer - not just someone who churns specs into code. I sometimes make the analogy like the difference between an old-fashioned infantryman with no idea of the big picture standing in line and doing what he NCO tells him and modern elite doctrine where every trooper knows the goal, understands his teams role, and improvise and adapt to changing circumstances in pursuit of the main goal. In contrast I remember meetings in IBM where developers were shocked to find what their code was used for.
One of the things you'd hear me saying on a regular basis working in a big banks mainframe world "So let me get your bug report straight. Your application worked. We changed nothing. You did a new release. Your application stopped working and you don't know why but somehow it's my fault?"
One interesting thing I noticed. Almost never did you see a competent guy working in a team of numpties. You'd find whole areas where nobody had a clue. How anything got done in some areas baffled me.
In IBM terms, this was called the "Mongolian Hordes" programming method. Every low-level dimwit programmer did just one tiny module in isolation, and was supposed to make it perfect and unbreakable. A "smarter, higher" programmer then used these tiny modules to build more complex components. And the top level smarty-pants assembled these components into application-specific programs.

All fine...until one or two of the multitudinous tiny sub-sub-modules used "everywhere" was found to be less than perfect and was bug-fixed, or was changed to do something else slightly different. Then the house of cards collapsed!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 02:23 PM   #207
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
many of our staff do that!
they just attach it to an email
Until I encourage them to use Windows Snipping Tool
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 02:24 PM   #208
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I’ve certainly had that in trouble reports (and sometimes it was the only way to get a screenshot of the boot screen on a server in a data centre).
That is too true!
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 08:56 AM   #209
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

USER: Please create the path, "PathName" in Service.

ME: Please confirm you want "PathName" and not "pathname".

USER: Is there a convention I should follow? If not, I'd like "PathName", please.

ME: No convention, but Service path names are case sensitive... Ok, I've created "PathName" and given you permissions to put stuff there.

[Time passes.]

USER: I keep getting a permissions error when I try to store stuff at "pathname". Please make sure you did your job right.

ME: ...
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 03:53 PM   #210
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've had people send in photos of BSODs. That seems to be the most common.
Old 8th October 2018, 06:04 PM   #211
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

USER: Is there a convention I should follow? If not, I'd like "PathName", please.

ME: No convention, but Service path names are case sensitive... Ok, I've created "PathName" and given you permissions to put stuff there.

[Time passes.]

USER: I keep getting a permissions error when I try to store stuff at "pathname". Please make sure you did your job right.

ME: Would you like me to spellcheck your emails before you send them to me?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 05:42 AM   #212
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dear users.

I'm not sure how this concept is so difficult for you to understand but I can't work or fix an issue when I'm standing in front of you listening to you complain about an issue not being fixed yet.

The more people who feel the need to walk up to me to "vent" about the issue, the less time I'm working on the issue.

I'm IT Support, not IT Therapist. I'm not going to sit you on a couch and ask you how the e-mail server being offline makes you feel.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 05:49 AM   #213
Wudang
BOFH

Oh god and the people who have to tell you the whole ******* back story about how without the thing fixed they can't do this thing that is apparently important to them and they tell you what they saw 10 times and what they think the problem is 6 times and what their manager is going to say 8 times and how they wore an onion in their belt because that was the style in those days.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 08:42 AM   #214
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Oh god and the people who have to tell you the whole ******* back story about how without the thing fixed they can't do this thing that is apparently important to them and they tell you what they saw 10 times and what they think the problem is 6 times and what their manager is going to say 8 times and how they wore an onion in their belt because that was the style in those days.
Oh god. Thank you...you just undid years of memory repression.

I had one project I worked on, where every time there was an issue, the project lead would go over the entire history of the project, from the beginning, to build up to the current situation. EVERY time. And the project started about 3 years before I was assigned to it. It was like a 45-minute rant that happened EVERY TIME there was any issue, and if she wasn't satisfied when I couldn't immediately do whatever impossible thing she asked she would send the full story to my manager to complain.

I HATED that project.

Luckily, it got moved to another team during our re-org. So, aside from the odd twitch, the trauma is containable now that you've brought it back.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 01:15 PM   #215
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Actual event I just had to deal with:

User: All of a sudden I can't print.
Me: Okay let me take a look at it. Okay there's... *pause. Hard blink. Read it again* 78 jobs stuck in the print queue.
User: Print queue?
Me: Errr... stuck at the printer (not about to try and explain what a print server is and how it works at this point.)
User: What does that mean?
Me: It means something's probably wrong at the printer. Where do you print to?
User: Admin Printer at the front desk.
Me: Gotcha be right back.
*As soon as I step into front desk area I am alerted to an odd insensate beeping from a particular printer shape object.
*Looks at Printer* "UNEXPECTED PAPER SIZE. PLEASE PRESS OK TO CONTINUE OR BACK TO CANCEL THE JOB."
Me: How long has this thing been beeping?
Front Desk staff: Oh about 20 minutes now.
Me: I see. *Swallows back the slight stroke I'm having*
*Presses OK. 78 print jobs immediately start spewing out.*

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 9th October 2018 at 01:18 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 01:19 PM   #216
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh and afterwards she made me stand there and watch "to make sure she got it right" as she printed out 12 more reports.

Old 9th October 2018, 02:23 PM   #217
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Yup, I remote to people's desktops and they want to make sure 'it works' after the fix.
Getting paid to reassure people
Old 9th October 2018, 02:31 PM   #218
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Yup, I remote to people's desktops and they want to make sure 'it works' after the fix.
Getting paid to reassure people
Because it probably took a while before they got someone talking to them about their problem, and they don't want to go to the back of the queue if it turns out the fix didn't work.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 03:04 PM   #219
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Because it probably took a while before they got someone talking to them about their problem, and they don't want to go to the back of the queue if it turns out the fix didn't work.
That's fine and a normal part of the IT process when there is actually a problem.

In my case there was no problem. Neither the computer nor the printer was malfunctioning or working outside normal perimeters. The entire issue was she just kept sending the job to the printer over and over because it wasn't printing (You figure around print job... 30 or so you'd give up) and never once glanced at the printer to see if it need interaction.

Old 11th October 2018, 08:54 AM   #220
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

there is no queue to calling me, I am the one who answers the phone, it doesn't bother me if it provides them reassurance
Old 11th October 2018, 09:08 AM   #221
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We're still maintaining 9 traditional fax machines and 9 traditional analog phone lines, one for each location, for the sole and only reason that one Doctor refuses to look at scans sent via e-mail.

And yes it doesn't matter that you can send a fax from all sorts of software based solutions. He wants them sent as traditional, analog faxes. He'll ask the nurses and lab techs "Are you faxing this or scanning and it e-mailing it?" and refuse anything that's send using a computer.

I'm not allowed to tell them just to lie to him.

Old 11th October 2018, 09:15 AM   #222
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

[Time passes.]

$pathname = lc $pathname;

Always.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 02:50 PM   #223
CORed
Philosopher

That's fine and a normal part of the IT process when there is actually a problem.

In my case there was no problem. Neither the computer nor the printer was malfunctioning or working outside normal perimeters. The entire issue was she just kept sending the job to the printer over and over because it wasn't printing (You figure around print job... 30 or so you'd give up) and never once glanced at the printer to see if it need interaction.
30, 78, 5763 ... Everyone has a different threshold for doing the same thing and expecting different results.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 04:38 PM   #224
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Actual event I just had to deal with:

User: All of a sudden I can't print.
Me: Okay let me take a look at it. Okay there's... *pause. Hard blink. Read it again* 78 jobs stuck in the print queue.
User: Print queue?
Me: Errr... stuck at the printer (not about to try and explain what a print server is and how it works at this point.)
User: What does that mean?
Me: It means something's probably wrong at the printer. Where do you print to?
User: Admin Printer at the front desk.
Me: Gotcha be right back.
*As soon as I step into front desk area I am alerted to an odd insensate beeping from a particular printer shape object.
*Looks at Printer* "UNEXPECTED PAPER SIZE. PLEASE PRESS OK TO CONTINUE OR BACK TO CANCEL THE JOB."
Me: How long has this thing been beeping?
Front Desk staff: Oh about 20 minutes now.
Me: I see. *Swallows back the slight stroke I'm having*
*Presses OK. 78 print jobs immediately start spewing out.*
That's why we IT folks get paid the small bucks.
Old 11th October 2018, 04:42 PM   #225
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

We're still maintaining 9 traditional fax machines and 9 traditional analog phone lines, one for each location, for the sole and only reason that one Doctor refuses to look at scans sent via e-mail.

And yes it doesn't matter that you can send a fax from all sorts of software based solutions. He wants them sent as traditional, analog faxes. He'll ask the nurses and lab techs "Are you faxing this or scanning and it e-mailing it?" and refuse anything that's send using a computer.

I'm in the same field. Tell him that the old style faxes are much lower quality images than the newer email-based solutions. And consequently he may be missing critical medical details which could endanger his patients (and also his exposure to claims and thus his insurance costs). Chances are he will demand the very best quality images immediately. Say "Yes, sir!" and hook him up to the modern tech.
Old 12th October 2018, 12:39 AM   #226
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I'm in the same field. Tell him that the old style faxes are much lower quality images than the newer email-based solutions. And consequently he may be missing critical medical details which could endanger his patients (and also his exposure to claims and thus his insurance costs). Chances are he will demand the very best quality images immediately. Say "Yes, sir!" and hook him up to the modern tech.
At one IBM place I worked in the early 90s an older programmer objected to having her old green screen (IBM 3278) terminal replaced by a PC. Her manager supported her and insisted she be allowed. So he was sent a bill for maintaining the infrastructure from the mainframe channel card and all to her desk. She got a PC.
Old 13th October 2018, 04:58 PM   #227
carlvs
Critical Thinker

There are reasons for this, as this Slate article explains:

Quote:

"The medical industry’s longtime preference for fax may have something to do with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, which was passed by Congress in 1996. The law required the Department of Health and Human Services to create privacy standards for health information—the ensuing Privacy Rule, which became effective in 2001, required health care providers to take “reasonable safeguards” when sharing patient data between labs, hospitals, specialists, and insurers. A post about the HIPAA Privacy Rule on the HHS website explicitly names fax as an acceptable method of transmission of medical records, test results, instructions, and treatment regimens. According to PC Mag, some interpret the wording of the rule to mean that fax is an acceptably secure medium while email is not. Though electronic mail has come to be a commonly accepted way to send information in most industries, email has been considered too insecure a medium—too susceptible to hacking—for medical records. Fax, meanwhile, is difficult to hack."

The article also states that while HIPAA-legal e-mails can be sent, the encryption process for this can be complex. Also, while great strides have been made in converting patients records from paper to digital formats, the same cannot be said for having independent systems communicate with each other.
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 09:47 AM   #228
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I just got this delivery of four brand new 24 inch LCD monitors for our research lab.

Old 15th October 2018, 10:46 AM   #229
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I just got this delivery of four brand new 24 inch LCD monitors for our research lab.
Maybe they heard you were doing particle research and were trying to help things along?

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 11:05 AM   #230
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well luckily 3 of the 4 monitors were okay (to be fair where fair is due the internal packaging was very, very robust). 4 looked okay but flickered when we tested it for a little bit. It eventually started working fine but given the nature of the box we figured we weren't going to risk it and returned that one.

The Research Lab (Oncology not particle physics ) will survive with 3 new and 1 older monitor for now.

Old 15th October 2018, 07:46 PM   #231
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlvs View Post
There are reasons for this, as this Slate article explains:

The article also states that while HIPAA-legal e-mails can be sent, the encryption process for this can be complex. Also, while great strides have been made in converting patients records from paper to digital formats, the same cannot be said for having independent systems communicate with each other.
Yep, I've seen the exact same arguments about "fax is secure" being used here in Australia some years back. Until I showed them a few...little problems.

The most basic of which is "wrong number!" It is almost axiomatic that the sender of faxes will get the dialed fax number wrong for any number of reasons. So you might possibly have the unedifying situation where a medical report of some sensitive and uptight person, e.g. a Sultan of a Middle eastern country who had a colonoscopy, being faxed to the previous phone number used on the fax machine, e.g. a local female politician having the same procedure. Hilarity ensues. *participants disguised in this example*
Old 15th October 2018, 08:32 PM   #232
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Yep, I've seen the exact same arguments about "fax is secure" being used here in Australia some years back. Until I showed them a few...little problems.

The most basic of which is "wrong number!" It is almost axiomatic that the sender of faxes will get the dialed fax number wrong for any number of reasons. So you might possibly have the unedifying situation where a medical report of some sensitive and uptight person, e.g. a Sultan of a Middle eastern country who had a colonoscopy, being faxed to the previous phone number used on the fax machine, e.g. a local female politician having the same procedure. Hilarity ensues. *participants disguised in this example*
I once received a fax with someones photo ID, SSN, and a voided check. New employee packet.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 08:33 PM   #233
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I once received a fax with someones photo ID, SSN, and a voided check. New employee packet.
Score!
Old 16th October 2018, 06:06 AM   #234
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm going to out on a limb here and just assume the AES-256 HIPAA complaint secure e-mail system we have is just a tad more secure than the technology that predates the Civil War.

Old 16th October 2018, 07:38 AM   #235
paulhutch
Master Poster

See The Games Season 1 Episode 6

From a regulatory stand point there is a huge difference between a person mistakenly sending confidential information to the wrong recipient and the designed security of a technological system. A person making a mistake can happen with either email or fax, so that's a wash. Fax transmission is secure by law, it's a crime to read the data on a POTS line without a warrant unless you are the recipient. With standard email the transmission is not secure and it is legal for every server along the distribution path to read the contents of the email. So without additional security measures the emailed data is not secure.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 07:45 AM   #236
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
With standard email the transmission is not secure and it is legal for every server along the distribution path to read the contents of the email. So without additional security measures the emailed data is not secure.
If "standard e-mail" was the only option available you'd have a point.

HIPAA complient secure e-mail solutions are widely available.

Hell the very act of something existing as a physical paper document makes "securing" it impossible in the context we're discussing.

I can tell who wrote, read, was forwarded to a secure e-mail under our system to a degree acceptable in a court of law. With a fax all I can do is "Yeah the fax printed off on a fax machine somewhere and could be in Narnia now for all I know or can prove."

Old 17th October 2018, 07:18 AM   #237
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
With standard email the transmission is not secure and it is legal for every server along the distribution path to read the contents of the email. So without additional security measures the emailed data is not secure.
A lesson people need to learn.
Not too long ago I started receiving emails (to a personal Gmail account) confidential material intended for a certain staffer (who shares my name) in a certain political party in a country that shall remain nameless. This included PID, etickets for his flights, account details for a loyalty card scheme and more. I repeatedly replied repudiating all connections, but in few cases were these even acknowledged.

Then I got a copy of the itinerary and security overview for the visit of his head of government to a certain location. That's when I contacted the office of the HoS and forwarded them the material, reminding them I was under no duty of confidentiality and that if this happened again I'd forward the material to every media outlet in their country.
I got a grovelling apology.

However I still get personal emails for him and two other namesakes.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 11:34 AM   #238
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
A lesson people need to learn.
Not too long ago I started receiving emails (to a personal Gmail account) confidential material intended for a certain staffer (who shares my name) in a certain political party in a country that shall remain nameless. This included PID, etickets for his flights, account details for a loyalty card scheme and more. I repeatedly replied repudiating all connections, but in few cases were these even acknowledged.

Then I got a copy of the itinerary and security overview for the visit of his head of government to a certain location. That's when I contacted the office of the HoS and forwarded them the material, reminding them I was under no duty of confidentiality and that if this happened again I'd forward the material to every media outlet in their country.
I got a grovelling apology.

However I still get personal emails for him and two other namesakes.
I have a gmail account of the format firstname.lastname. My full name is not desperately uncommon. I have namesakes in NYC, Ohio, North Carolina, Florida, Texas, British Columbia, London and Sydney, all of whom are reliably incapable of getting their mail addresses correct in online forms, utilities contracts and, most impressively, CVs.

The amount of confidential personal mail I receive for them is extraordinary.

The lack of response I get when I try to inform people of their errors is deeply depressing.

The difficulty I have in contacting a number of US-based institutions to tell them of the error is astonishing. Numerous places don’t accept contact via mail or twitter; all they offer is a phone number. As I’m in Europe, screw that.
Old 17th October 2018, 02:00 PM   #239
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
I have a gmail account of the format firstname.lastname. My full name is not desperately uncommon. I have namesakes in NYC, Ohio, North Carolina, Florida, Texas, British Columbia, London and Sydney, all of whom are reliably incapable of getting their mail addresses correct in online forms, utilities contracts and, most impressively, CVs.

The lack of response I get when I try to inform people of their errors is deeply depressing.

The difficulty I have in contacting a number of US-based institutions to tell them of the error is astonishing. Numerous places don’t accept contact via mail or twitter; all they offer is a phone number. As I’m in Europe, screw that.
My better half is in a similar position, she keeps getting emails for at least one other person with a similar name on their gmail account, with a similar lack of interest when she notifies the organisations involved of the problem.
Old 17th October 2018, 02:00 PM   #240
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by malbui View Post

My wife had an email that was last_first@aol.com. I gave it out to one friend as first_last@aol.com and somehow that spread to a large group of our friends. They used it on evite invitations and would just copy those lists from one get-together to the next. The person who received those evites would reply with some pretty funny replies. She would RSVP for three sometimes, noting that both her boyfriends were in town if that was OK. Or she would RSVP for 50 saying her family was in town and they all really wanted to come. Or she would RSVP and ask who the **** the host was or would there be any decent wine this time. Once she just commented that all of our parties seemed pretty lame.

I found it hilarious. My wife was not amused.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet