ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th November 2018, 07:34 AM   #41
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
He obviously knows that what he's proposing isn't going to happen, so is he making some cash out of it or is it just an ego thing? Or is he a little bit crazy?
Virtue Signaling to Jesus when the Rapture comes next week.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 07:38 AM   #42
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Linky.

The Rolling Stones article is quite long, but gives a good overall picture of the movement he is a part of. Meanwhile, it has been referred to the FBI.

Linky.
Killing all males doesn't sound like a great solution to killing foetuses.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 07:46 AM   #43
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I mentioned this guy in the mid-term thread. It seems Spokane is a hot-bed of neo-Nazism. I'll be interested in Baylor's thoughts (those aren't words I ever expected to type).
Is it against the MA to ask whether Baylor is Shea or just someone working on his campaign?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 08:17 AM   #44
Diablo
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Virtue Signaling to Jesus when the Rapture comes next week.
Nah, just $$$$$.
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 09:35 AM   #45
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I mentioned this guy in the mid-term thread. It seems Spokane is a hot-bed of neo-Nazism. I'll be interested in Baylor's thoughts (those aren't words I ever expected to type).
Like most US cities, Spokane per se is probably relatively liberal. It'll be the countryside around that's not. The real nutballs tend to be a bit further east in northern Idaho and northwestern Montana.

ETA: If I remember from the other thread, you may have thought Shea is a member of the US Congress. He's not; just a representative in the state legislature. Lots of real crazies in the state legislatures.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 6th November 2018 at 09:38 AM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 10:39 AM   #46
sylvan8798
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Killing all males doesn't sound like a great solution to killing foetuses.
Maybe you just haven't thought that through?

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 10:43 AM   #47
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
People don't often realize how different some parts of states can be from others. California is blue, but the deserts of South eastern and central eastern California are as red as it gets. Crazy, arch-conservative red in the state that is often used as the example of liberalism.

There are several enclaves* on the coast too. It's usually their last CA residence before deciding to move to Alaska and beyond.

*you might also know them as compounds
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 10:48 AM   #48
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Or invited to dinner at the White House.
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A number of businesses who contributed to his campaing have denounced him and are demanding their money back.
No word from the Washington GOP, though. Shea is Republican State Representative in some leadership positions on commitees. I suspect he will be stripped ofhis leadership positions as soon as the legislature meets again.
I'd assume both with trump offering a pardon.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 11:04 AM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
Maybe you just haven't thought that through?
My point is that if you're against killing "babies" because it's murder, the solution of killing adults doesn't seem morally superior to it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 12:26 PM   #50
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
We can only hope.

As for the OP, it's once again that hardy perennial, the obscure Republican state legislator that says something stupid. I kinda wish there was some news aggregator out there tracking the dumb things obscure Democrats say. No, actually I don't care what some legislator in Rhode Island or Massachusetts says.
You should care. Is it really so hard to criticize what Shea has done just because he's a Republican?

This seems to me to be a knee jerk "must defend the GOP no matter what" reaction. Rather than condemn Shea for his outrageous behavior, obscure state legislator or not, you resort to a "whataboutism".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 01:39 PM   #51
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think some long time Republicans are simply in Denial about how far to the right their party has moved.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 09:29 AM   #52
ahhell
Master Poster

I think some long time Republicans are simply in Denial about how far to the right their party has moved.
Definitely the case. Its pretty much inevitable. A problem with human nature. Folks will change their opinion to conform to their group identity.

Its obvious and extreme in the case of the GOP though.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 12:05 PM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am sickened by how many Republicans seem willing to accept pure bigotry if they decide that is what it takes to be a loyal Republican.
And that is what might, in the long run,destroy the GOP. The Dmeographics are changing rapidly,they can't keep winning by ,frankluy, stiriing up a white, older base.
Some in the GOP realized that in 2012 with the "GOP Post Mortum" in which they decided the GOP whould have to broaden it's base. That is 100% incompatible with Trumpism.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 12:12 PM   #54
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Re-elected with 58% plus. Very sad.
Old 7th November 2018, 11:05 PM   #55
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Re-elected with 58% plus. Very sad.
Well, the Epsilons need their representative in the Washington Legislature I suppose.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 11:06 PM   #56
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't call it moving to the right. Stupid and bat-**** crazy aren't political positions.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 11:43 AM   #57
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I wouldn't call it moving to the right. Stupid and bat-**** crazy aren't political positions.
You forgot about the Libertarians
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 05:30 PM   #58
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

A recent Matt Shea interview which took place at an event where he was promoting Liberty, the new state proposed by Shea and other like-minded whackjobs, in the model of The American Redoubt (and with the same borders):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The best(?) part is the last minute, when Shea goes on the offensive when asked if he denounces political violence, and storms off in a sanctimonious huff.
Old 30th June 2019, 11:33 AM   #59
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
My point is that if you're against killing "babies" because it's murder, the solution of killing adults doesn't seem morally superior to it.
But killing limp-wristed, effete, liberal males is OK. And has the benefit of leaving more females available. Kind of a Mormon-esque vibe going on there.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 12:20 PM   #60
crescent
Illuminator

I am sickened by how many Republicans seem willing to accept pure bigotry if they decide that is what it takes to be a loyal Republican.
And that is what might, in the long run,destroy the GOP. The Dmeographics are changing rapidly,they can't keep winning by ,frankluy, stiriing up a white, older base.
Some in the GOP realized that in 2012 with the "GOP Post Mortum" in which they decided the GOP whould have to broaden it's base. That is 100% incompatible with Trumpism.
I think they can keep limping along because people suck. Lots of people who are stigmatized by Republicans will continue to vote Republican because many of these stigmatized people like stigmatizing other people.

So take the white men who support Trump.

Add in Jewish people who also happen to be racist, or sexist, or homophobic, or who hate Muslims.
Add in black people who also happen to be homophobic, or sexist or antisemitic, or who hate Muslims.
Add in women who also happen to be racist, homophobic, and so on.
Add in gay people also happen to be racist, antisemitic, and so on.
Add in Muslims who also happen to be antisemitic, sexist, homophobic, etc.

The numbers of people who like to "punch down" and see the Republicans as the way to do so is pretty significant. Enough to keep the party viable for a long time.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 06:49 AM   #61
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It appears Matt is still on the hot seat...

Quote:
The Washington state House has hired a firm to investigate whether Shea has engaged in, planned or promoted political violence and to determine the extent of his involvement with groups or people involved with such activities.
How does a person like this get re-elected? Is Spokane Valley that demented?
Old 1st August 2019, 04:30 PM   #62
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post

I think every state has it's "Crazy Districts"'

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th August 2019, 11:02 AM   #63
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Shea is associated with a church in Marble, WA -- the Marble Community Fellowship -- that is training young people on weapons and combat to prepare for the aforementioned holy war, evidenced by leaked emails.
Old 16th August 2019, 12:31 PM   #64
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Most of his voters probably know little or nothing about him other than that he has an (R) after his name.
Old 16th August 2019, 12:48 PM   #65
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

What a prince.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 01:48 PM   #66
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Most of his voters probably know little or nothing about him other than that he has an (R) after his name.
He's been a controversial figure ever since being elected. The Spokane Review has covered him extensively. He advocates killing non Christians and divvying up their belongings. He was jettisoned from leadership by fellow republicans. He's received national attention.

I suspect the voters know more than you think.
Old 17th August 2019, 11:06 PM   #67
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Shea is associated with a church in Marble, WA -- the Marble Community Fellowship -- that is training young people on weapons and combat to prepare for the aforementioned holy war, evidenced by leaked emails.
Terrorist training camps for child soldiers are okay if it's for Jesus.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:51 PM   #68
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Wow, Matt Shea's subversive activities go far beyond terror camps for Christian child-soldiers.

Additional hits include creating a right-wing "intelligence" network to spy on and track liberal activists and local politicians, as well as creating an emergency "provisional" shadow government to prepare for PNW secession from the United States.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 05:32 PM   #69
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I think the last comes under the heading of Treason...

And if the survilllece went beyond paranoid day dreaming,then Shea might have to start worrying not so much about being expelled from the state legislature, but about prison.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 22nd August 2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 22nd August 2019, 06:11 PM   #70
ArchSas
Thinker

I think the last comes under the heading of Treason...

And if the survilllece went beyond paranoid day dreaming,then Shea might have to start worrying not so much about being expelled from the state legislature, but about prison.
Yeah, I'm wondering at what point he officially becomes a terrorist (or supporter or whatever) in the eyes of the law.

Last edited by ArchSas; 22nd August 2019 at 06:12 PM.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 06:18 PM   #71
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering at what point he officially becomes a terrorist (or supporter or whatever) in the eyes of the law.
Not under this administration!
Old 22nd August 2019, 06:55 PM   #72
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Given the current administration's guidelines, probably when he becomes no longer a white male "christian".
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 11:19 AM   #73
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

A new document has emerged via a former member of Shea's security team:

Quote:
The eight-page document, titled “Restoration,” details how Christian “patriots” should quash resistance, establish an interim government, decentralize services, restrict immigration based on ethnicity and amend the Constitution to “acknowledge that Jesus Christ rules over this state as our legitimate sovereign Lord and King from His place of authority at God’s right hand.” The document also calls for the death penalty for those who commit murder, rape, treason and “sodomy,” and calls for a discussion on whether adulterers should be executed, too.
I'm still looking for the actual document...
Old 30th August 2019, 12:03 PM   #74
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Quote:
Quote:
The eight-page document, titled “Restoration,” details how Christian “patriots” should quash resistance, establish an interim government, decentralize services, restrict immigration based on ethnicity and amend the Constitution to “acknowledge that Jesus Christ rules over this state as our legitimate sovereign Lord and King from His place of authority at God’s right hand.” The document also calls for the death penalty for those who commit murder, rape, treason and “sodomy,” and calls for a discussion on whether adulterers should be executed, too.
Uh, oh...Run, Donald, run!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 12:11 PM   #75
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A new document has emerged via a former member of Shea's security team:

I'm still looking for the actual document...
That is pretty much standard Restorationist rhetoric.
The Hard Line restorationist are so extreme that even most on the religious right are critical of them.
They can best be described as sort of a Christian ISIS.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 30th August 2019, 06:51 PM   #76
Stacyhs
Philosopher

That is pretty much standard Restorationist rhetoric.
The Hard Line restorationist are so extreme that even most on the religious right are critical of them.
They can best be described as sort of a Christian ISIS.
Religious whack jobs scare me more than political zealots.
Old 1st September 2019, 12:25 PM   #77
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

These clowns are both.
Old 1st September 2019, 08:27 PM   #78
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

How many of them are there? A dozen? A hundred?

Reckon the local Boy Scouts could take them down no problem.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 10:21 PM   #79
ArchSas
Thinker

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
How many of them are there? A dozen? A hundred?

Reckon the local Boy Scouts could take them down no problem.
More than that. Depending on exactly how you want to classify Shea and the groups that have similar goals and political leanings, you can lump him in with all kinds of anti-government "patriots" from sovereign citizens to Mormon fundamentalists, to organized militias. Even narrowing things down to include other Christian separatists in the PNW, there's an increasing number thanks to the decades-old Northwest Imperative movement that specifically encourages people with Shea's political leanings to settle in the PNW with the eventual goal of creating a new state; AFAIK, no one has exact numbers, but from following this stuff for a few years, it's way more than hundred. If you're interested, the podcast Bundyville does a pretty good job of summing up the impact and reach of people like Shea, especially in its second season. It's not comprehensive, but it's a good introduction.

It's easy to dismiss people like Shea as powerless whackos, but that's short-sighted and ignores how widespread his beliefs actually are. I'm increasingly convinced that if any domestic threat to the US manages to be successful, it's going to come from the "Patriot movement." It's already widespread, and has been increasingly getting legitimacy through people like Shea (and even to some extend Trump, with his rhetoric and certain actions like pardoning the Hammonds), and incidents like the Bundy standoffs, and Oregon state senators partnering with the Oath Keepers. These groups cast a wide net, relish violence, and are increasingly being emboldened by mainstream figures. As far as the boy scouts handling the situation goes, Shea has been a scout master in the past, so...

Last edited by ArchSas; 1st September 2019 at 10:31 PM.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:29 AM   #80
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

More than that. Depending on exactly how you want to classify Shea and the groups that have similar goals and political leanings, you can lump him in with all kinds of anti-government "patriots" from sovereign citizens to Mormon fundamentalists, to organized militias. Even narrowing things down to include other Christian separatists in the PNW, there's an increasing number thanks to the decades-old Northwest Imperative movement that specifically encourages people with Shea's political leanings to settle in the PNW with the eventual goal of creating a new state; AFAIK, no one has exact numbers, but from following this stuff for a few years, it's way more than hundred. If you're interested, the podcast Bundyville does a pretty good job of summing up the impact and reach of people like Shea, especially in its second season. It's not comprehensive, but it's a good introduction.

It's easy to dismiss people like Shea as powerless whackos, but that's short-sighted and ignores how widespread his beliefs actually are. I'm increasingly convinced that if any domestic threat to the US manages to be successful, it's going to come from the "Patriot movement." It's already widespread, and has been increasingly getting legitimacy through people like Shea (and even to some extend Trump, with his rhetoric and certain actions like pardoning the Hammonds), and incidents like the Bundy standoffs, and Oregon state senators partnering with the Oath Keepers. These groups cast a wide net, relish violence, and are increasingly being emboldened by mainstream figures. As far as the boy scouts handling the situation goes, Shea has been a scout master in the past, so...
Yeah, was being ironic.

What they need is a "New Land" of their own. A place they can call home and build afresh with their own rules. A place where nobody will disturb them or tell them not to do whatever the hell they want. Somewhere they can fish and hunt and shoot to their heart's content with no "greenies" telling them otherwise. This is the place!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics