ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2nd amendment issues , gun violence

Old 19th August 2019, 09:36 AM   #161
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Well, I'm only a casual observer of the US's gun culture so this is something I could easily have missed. Could you post an example of some notable organisation or group that is calling for a complete ban on all private ownership of firearms in the US?

To me that seems like a very extreme position. Off the top of my head I can't think of any country where all private ownership of firearms is forbidden, and a quick look on Wikipedia comes up with only 11 countries where that is the case, and most of those are small island nations.

Which isn't to say that I don't believe that it may be the case. There are, after all, plenty of examples of groups or organisations who do advocate for extreme positions. But it is one that I don't remember seeing espoused by any group in the US, so would definitely appreciate being pointed in the direction of one.
Opinions don't only exist (nor cease to matter) only when one can point to an organized group that holds it.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 10:54 AM   #162
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Opinions don't only exist (nor cease to matter) only when one can point to an organized group that holds it.
I didn't say they did. But if it's just a few isolated people here and there who have no influence, then who cares?

If you think these people i]do[/i] have influence, then could you post what has led you to that belief? What is it that makes you think there are "enough" people with this belief to make it a "discusable factor"? On what is that belief based?
Old 20th August 2019, 03:48 AM   #163
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Nice straw.

Then make that argument. The 2nd amendment comes out when the talk is about banning firearms of all sorts entirely, which would definitely violate the heck out of the Constitution.
Yea civil insurrection and political violence is enshrined in the constitution and trying to stop mass shooters is a total affront to their second amendment rights.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 03:49 AM   #164
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
It's either a misdemeanor or a felony everywhere AFAIK.
And yet it has no gatcha questions on gun purchasing forms unlike say drug possession. Because we need to keep guns out of the hands of pot heads not violent people.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 05:55 AM   #165
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And yet it has no gatcha questions on gun purchasing forms unlike say drug possession. Because we need to keep guns out of the hands of pot heads not violent people.
Except for questions B, C, F, H, and I.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f4473.jpg (90.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Pope130; 20th August 2019 at 05:57 AM.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 06:02 AM   #166
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Except for questions B, C, F, H, and I.
Nonsense those talk about convictions and court charges. You have to go deeper and ask if they have ever hit their partner. Therefor even in the absence of charges you can nail them on a felony for lying on it.
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:04 PM   #167
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Nonsense those talk about convictions and court charges. You have to go deeper and ask if they have ever hit their partner. Therefor even in the absence of charges you can nail them on a felony for lying on it.
Why, if we did that, there'd be like half the police force left and we can't have that, now can we?

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...riends/380329/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics