ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , Breitbart.com , donald trump , hillary clinton , Steve Bannon

Reply
Old 13th August 2019, 01:13 PM   #161
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,170
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Trump isnít going to order mass shootings.

But there's a question of whether he'll object to them.

Trump laughs when a supporter at a rally suggests shooting immigrants.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:13 PM   #162
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 19,886
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
II think that the term Concentration Camp is a deliberate attempt to reference Nazism.
Well the good news is words have meaning outside of what you think about them.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:25 PM   #163
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,099
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Trump is a morally deplorable wretch. However, he has not done anything to appreciably make the USA fascist or destroy the constitution or democracy.
He's not succeeding but he is trying and talking. He implemented corporate advisory boards. He's suggested the US should try a dictatorship more than once. He's attempted to undermine confidence in elections by lying about voter fraud. He's inflamed racism.

And he leads a party where half the membership could support postponing elections.
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 13th August 2019 at 01:27 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:41 PM   #164
Lurch
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 901
Calling attention to concentration camps is not an invocation of Nazism. Such camps are not unique to Hitler and co. The US operated a concentration camp for Americans of Japanese descent during WWII.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:54 PM   #165
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 31,683
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
I was responding to JoeMorgue, when he said:
"Jesus ******* Christ do we have to wait until the mass shootings start or are we gonna get "Well technically they aren't using Lugers..." for that too? "
My mistake.


Originally Posted by Giz View Post
I think that the term Concentration Camp is a deliberate attempt to reference Nazism
Or, it could be a reference to concentration camps which are, in themselves, a bad thing.


Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Trump is a morally deplorable wretch. However, he has not done anything to appreciably make the USA fascist or destroy the constitution or democracy.
  • Authoritarianism.
  • Focus on national purity/vilifying a powerless minority in society
  • Obstruction of justice.
  • Vilifying the free press.
  • Defying the separation of powers by ignoring and obstructing Congressional oversight.
And none of these are one-offs. Can you say that Trump is not doing these things?
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"Itís easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:33 PM   #166
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,143
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Really? ďConcentration campsĒ is not a dog whistle?
That's... not how a "dog whistle" works.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:39 PM   #167
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,471
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
I think that the term Concentration Camp is a deliberate attempt to reference Nazism
I will go against the grain and agree with you here. AOC was not hoping that her supporters would read her tweets and think about the Boer War or Japanese Internment. The words were chosen deliberately for effect.

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Which is a ridiculous comparison (unless just about every government in the world are Nazis... which seems to devalue the term)
...and here you can tell us about the camps that "just about every government in the world" has constructed to hold their would-be asylum seekers. I expect you to name at least 180 countries. Use spoiler tags if your post gets too long.


ETA - holy crap, I just realized what thread I am posting in. Pour some out for NoahFence and Andrew Brietbart.

Last edited by carlitos; 13th August 2019 at 02:41 PM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 03:44 PM   #168
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 37,190
I come here to not to celebrate NoahFence, but to bury him.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 10:12 PM   #169
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,500
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Trump isnít going to order mass shootings.
But there's a question of whether he'll object to them.

Trump laughs when a supporter at a rally suggests shooting immigrants.

At this point, Fox & POTUS inspire mass shootings ...
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 03:05 AM   #170
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 31,683
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Oh, thatís just locker room rally talk. Nobody takes that seriously. Except those who do, but thatís AOC-Hilaryís fault.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"Itís easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 04:49 AM   #171
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 84,525
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Really? ďConcentration campsĒ is not a dog whistle?
I only care whether it's accurate, and it is.

Nobody said they were extermination camps, either. Is that a hidden message? Stop twisting yourself into salted pretzels to avoid agreeing with liberals on something.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 04:50 AM   #172
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 84,525
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
The USA is not in an emergency.
Tell Trump that.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 02:56 AM   #173
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,531
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Mass hysteria has infected a supposedly skeptical forum.

Trump isnít going to order mass shootings. The USA is not in an emergency. This is akin to the right wing nuts who thought Obama was going to turn the USA into a communist dictatorship.
Thank you.
__________________
In choosing to support humanitarian organizations, it's best to choose those that do not have "militant wings" (Mycroft, 2013)
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 03:32 AM   #174
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 31,683
Yeah, great. Trump isnít Hitler, but that doesnít mean that the things that Trump is actually doing arenít really bad things that resemble early stage fascism.

The comparison to Obama and communism isnít even close to equivalent. Arguably, Obamaís biggest achievement was passing the ACA which, at its core, utilized privately owned insurance companies in what was intended to be a marketplace venue. The closest incident you could find of communism is when the government took over the running of General Motors, rather than let it go out of business. However, that was only a temporary situation and the company was quickly back in non-government ownership.

Trumpís actions, words, and policies, on the other hand, edges towards fascism and has continually done so since before the election. Yes, that should be concerning.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"Itís easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 04:16 AM   #175
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 87,206
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Mass hysteria has infected a supposedly skeptical forum.



Trump isnít going to order mass shootings. The USA is not in an emergency. This is akin to the right wing nuts who thought Obama was going to turn the USA into a communist dictatorship.
The president of the USA disagrees with your assessment that the USA is not in an emergency.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 04:57 AM   #176
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 26,646
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
  • Authoritarianism.
  • Focus on national purity/vilifying a powerless minority in society
  • Obstruction of justice.
  • Vilifying the free press.
  • Defying the separation of powers by ignoring and obstructing Congressional oversight.
And none of these are one-offs. Can you say that Trump is not doing these things?
I would add crapping on the emoluments clause of the Constitution.
Spending over a quarter of his time in Trump owned properties where he charges the USSS for rooms and food, scheduling meetings with foreign leaders at Trump properties, doing business with the Saudis and then siding with the Saudis over US intelligence agencies (and Jared giving classified info to the Saudis), sending over 100 tweets referencing one or more of his properties, etc, etc, etc.
Literally telling people to ignore what they read and believe only what he says.

Youíve already mentioned defying separation of powers, but it applies to the judicial branch, as well. After SCOTUS said no to the citizenship question the president insisted that he would do it anyway (at least until the adults in the room told him he could not do that).

Giving Jared a top secret security clearance after he left business dealings off his repeated applications. (He has since had his security clearance pulled.)
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 10:14 AM   #177
BrooklynBaby
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 875
Breitbart is one of the very few sources of non-fake news in this country.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 10:21 AM   #178
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 31,683
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Breitbart is one of the very few sources of non-fake news in this country.
Right up there with Alex Jones, wouldn't you say?
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"Itís easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 03:19 PM   #179
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 44,978
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Right up there with Alex Jones, wouldn't you say?
Might be the main source of news for Trumpets, now that Donnie and Fox News seem to be at odds.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 03:35 PM   #180
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 8,776
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Breitbart is one of the very few sources of non-fake news in this country.
Well, THAT explains a lot.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 03:45 PM   #181
WilliamSeger
Illuminator
 
WilliamSeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,762
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Breitbart is one of the very few sources of non-fake news in this country.
That might be true if you just mean the opposite of what Donnie calls "fake news" -- i.e. what our descendants will call "history" -- in which case it's definitely not a compliment.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 06:31 PM   #182
BrooklynBaby
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 875
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
That might be true if you just mean the opposite of what Donnie calls "fake news" -- i.e. what our descendants will call "history" -- in which case it's definitely not a compliment.
The reason so many leftists were wrong about Zimmerman, Ferguson, Trump/Russia, "the Youtube video", and so many other issues of great importance is because they watched and read fake news like NYT and WaPo. Why so many people think they can be "skeptics" while consuming nothing but Democrat Party controlled propaganda and outright lies is very puzzling. Don't you guys ever get tired of being wrong?
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 06:43 PM   #183
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 8,776
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The reason so many leftists were wrong about Zimmerman, Ferguson, Trump/Russia, "the Youtube video", and so many other issues of great importance is because they watched and read fake news like NYT and WaPo. Why so many people think they can be "skeptics" while consuming nothing but Democrat Party controlled propaganda and outright lies is very puzzling. Don't you guys ever get tired of being wrong?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 04:18 AM   #184
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 31,683
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The reason so many leftists were wrong about Zimmerman, Ferguson, Trump/Russia, "the Youtube video", and so many other issues of great importance is because they watched and read fake news like NYT and WaPo.
Iím not entirely sure I want to unpack this, but what do you think ďleftistsĒ got wrong in all that?

And, to cut to the chase, do you understand the difference between meeting a legal burden and establishing what actually occurred in a situation? Because, like most conservatives on the board in regards to some of these cases, Iím guessing not.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"Itís easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 06:41 PM   #185
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,130
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The reason so many leftists were wrong about Zimmerman...
George Zimmerman
Quote:
Other encounters with law enforcement

Zimmerman has had other encounters with the law, including two incidents in 2005, five incidents in 2013, and other incidents in following years...

On September 9, 2013, in Lake Mary, police responded to a 911 call by Zimmerman's estranged wife, who reported that Zimmerman had threatened her and her father with a gun and had punched her father in the face...

On November 18, 2013, Zimmerman's girlfriend called the police, alleging that after she had asked Zimmerman to leave her home, he had pointed a shotgun at her and begun breaking her belongings. The police reported that Zimmerman had barricaded himself inside the apartment before they made their way inside and arrested him. He was charged with aggravated assault with a weapon...

On November 9, 2016, Zimmerman was removed from a bar after yelling at a waitress. A deputy on the scene said Zimmerman used a racial slur before he left. Zimmerman stated he intended to sue the Seminole County Sheriff's Office. The deputy claimed that Zimmerman said: "I didn't know you were a ****** lover."
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 07:04 PM   #186
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,545
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post

The reason so many conservatives were wrong about Zimmerman is they refuse to pay attention to reality, preferring to instead believe whatever the right wing media machine tells them.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 07:13 PM   #187
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,248
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
The reason so many conservatives were wrong about Zimmerman is they refuse to pay attention to reality, preferring to instead believe whatever the right wing media machine tells them.
But, you see, because the "conservative" in question is able to say the exact same thing (dishonestly, but still), we are stuck in a situation where there's no way to tell who really is the party who doesn't pay attention to reality. Of course, this relies on us not paying attention to reality.

And so the dance goes, trolling on, never allowing any honest discussion.

The answer, of course, is to not engage. Talk about, never to. There are few conservatives that warrant discussing with. There are no "conservatives" that do.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 29th August 2019 at 07:15 PM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 08:23 AM   #188
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 31,683
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
The reason so many conservatives were wrong about Zimmerman is they refuse to pay attention to reality, preferring to instead believe whatever the right wing media machine tells them.
My position on this topic with other posters in the past is that a court of law not being able to return a "guilty" verdict is not the same thing as proof that Zimmerman is innocent. There is absolutely zero objective evidence on who attacked whom first and who was acting in self-defense. There were exactly two people who knew exactly how the confrontation was initiated and one of them was dead before he could tell anyone what happened.

Saying that one knows what really happened based on a legal verdict demonstrates a lack of understanding about the nature of legal trial, evidence, and reality.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"Itís easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 10:26 AM   #189
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,134
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The reason so many leftists were wrong about Zimmerman,
You mean the serial domestic abuser who chased down and murdered a black teenager for clearly stated racist reasons, and who has since been in numerous violent incidents? No, we got that one right, it was white supremacists and reactionaries that got it wrong. And actually, they got it right, until Obama spoke about it, at which point they imagined Trayvon Martin entirely in terms of a century-old racist stereotype known as "the Brute" - a drug-fueled, superpowered, rage-filled mega-****** looking to murder poor white men and rape white women.

Quote:
Ferguson,
You mean the town with the brazenly white supremacist police force that attacked an entire community of black people for over a year using military surplus like they were an ISIS front, live and on camera broadcast throughout the entire world? Again, it's clear who got this one wrong - conservatives and white supremacists.

Quote:
Trump/Russia,
You mean the very clear siding of Putin for Dolt 45 over Hillary Clinton? Whoo boy, did the right every get this entire election wrong, fooled by garbage on Twitter and Facebook - and now they're whining about how Dolt 45 is hurting *them*, and not just the queers and the darkies.

Quote:
"the Youtube video"
You mean...actually, there are billions of Youtube videos, who knows what you mean?

And honestly, given what you've already cited of examples of "leftists" getting things wrong that they actually got right, who even cares what video you're talking about?

Quote:
and so many other issues of great importance is because they watched and read fake news like NYT and WaPo. Why so many people think they can be "skeptics" while consuming nothing but Democrat Party controlled propaganda and outright lies is very puzzling. Don't you guys ever get tired of being wrong?
The funny part is that many "leftists" hate the NYT in particular. If anything, far too many of them ended up listening to buffoons like Jimmy Dore or Julien Assange.

But do reactionaries ever grow tired of being ignorant, fear-filled, and consumed with hatred and anger?

Guess not...

Last edited by Mumbles; 30th August 2019 at 10:29 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 05:45 PM   #190
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 8,776
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The reason so many leftists were wrong about Zimmerman, Ferguson, Trump/Russia, "the Youtube video", and so many other issues of great importance is because they watched and read fake news like NYT and WaPo. Why so many people think they can be "skeptics" while consuming nothing but Democrat Party controlled propaganda and outright lies is very puzzling. Don't you guys ever get tired of being wrong?
I stopped reading right there. Once someone trots out Trump's 'fake news' crap, I know any rational, logical, and intelligent discussion isn't going to happen with that person.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 01:16 AM   #191
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,500
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Breitbart is one of the very few sources of non-fake news in this country.

Really?!

Quote:
A factual search reveals numerous failed fact checks by IFCN Fact Checkers. Here are just a few of many as an example:

Breitbart Duped by Fake News (Again) (False)
Following Joe Kennedy’s speech, Breitbart says Fall River, Mass. not built by immigrants (False)
Breitbart gets the wrong Loretta Lynch in Whitewater claim (Pants on Fire)
Did Planned Parenthood ‘Team Up’ With Satanists to Promote Abortion Rights in Missouri? (False)
Trump’s ISIS Conspiracy Theory (False)
Breitbart article baselessly claims a study of past climate invalidates human-caused climate change (False)
Overall, we rate Breitbart Questionable based on extreme right wing bias and publication of numerous false claims.
Breitbart: questionable source (Media Bias/Fact Check)
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:27 AM   #192
Eddie Dane
Philosopher
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,652
Am I the only one who finds Breitbart terribly boring?

It somehow fails to be informative and interesting.

It has that drab 'propaganda' feel. Like a Soviet publication. Serving up the talking points without enthusiasm and avoiding offending the masters.
__________________
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:29 AM   #193
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,626
I get the feeling that Breitbart is Steve Bannon sitting in his office alone with an ever increasing pile of empty bottles of Jack.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 02:11 PM   #194
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 22,585
So you're saying he DOES know Jack?
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:36 PM   #195
jakesteele
Fait Accompli
 
jakesteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rain City
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
The piece of **** that runs Britebart also runs the Trump campaign.

The Trump campaign appears to not be willing to stop until he's destroyed the country. All because of the uppity ****** that destroyed him at the Correspondent's dinner.
How exactly is Trump destroying this country?
__________________

Life is Godís funniest joke
And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:37 PM   #196
jakesteele
Fait Accompli
 
jakesteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rain City
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
The damage is going to go far beyond this election, I'm afraid. These people are an unhinged, existential threat to this country.
I think you're seeing boogeymen where there aren't any.
__________________

Life is Godís funniest joke
And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:11 PM   #197
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 31,683
Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
How exactly is Trump destroying this country?
A bit off topic. The tl;dr version could be:
  • Tearing down relations with long term allies while cow towing to foreign dictators.
  • Tearing down regulations that help protect Americans both financially and in terms of health and environment.
  • Disregarding US Constitutional checks and balances between the branches of government.
  • Having an administration rife with corruption and crime.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"Itís easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:28 PM   #198
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
The Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,286
Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
How exactly is Trump destroying this country?
Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
I think you're seeing boogeymen where there aren't any.
Hey, not fair to kick a guy when he's down banned!
__________________
A government is a body of people usually - notably - ungoverned.
-Shepard Book
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:24 AM   #199
Eddie Dane
Philosopher
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,652
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I get the feeling that Breitbart is Steve Bannon sitting in his office alone with an ever increasing pile of empty bottles of Jack.
And lots of pills.

Totally legal pills, obviously. Bannon would never do illegal drugs. Those people should be in jail.
__________________
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:26 AM   #200
Eddie Dane
Philosopher
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,652
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
A bit off topic. The tl;dr version could be:
  • Tearing down relations with long term allies while cow towing to foreign dictators.
  • Tearing down regulations that help protect Americans both financially and in terms of health and environment.
  • Disregarding US Constitutional checks and balances between the branches of government.
  • Having an administration rife with corruption and crime.
-Not having a clue what he's doing
-Firing everybody who does have a clue
__________________
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.