ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags China issues , China-Hong Kong relations , Hong Kong incidents , Hong Kong issues , protest incidents

Old 1st August 2019, 05:02 AM   #41
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Violent 'Color Revolution' In Hong Kong Fails Despite Strong NYT Support
Old 1st August 2019, 12:28 PM   #42
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
These guys who are constantly at work instigating revolutions against authoritarian and illiberal governments that oppress their people, denying them the freedom they are clamoring for... they are some very, very bad people.

I hope they lose and the Chinese never are subject to the evils of freedom and liberal democracy.

Last edited by Arcade22; 1st August 2019 at 12:29 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 12:57 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Russia never scared me but China is terrifying in the Pacific.
Russian culture closely matches European, and will default to libertarian values.

He hopes.

Russia's record says otherwise. Twice they had a chance to become a democracy, and twice they chose to return to authoritarianism.
ANd Putin scares the hell out of me, with his attempts to undermine democracy in the West. Time to take the rose collored glasses off.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 01:01 PM   #44
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Russia's record says otherwise. Twice they had a chance to become a democracy, and twice they chose to return to authoritarianism.
ANd Putin scares the hell out of me, with his attempts to undermine democracy in the West. Time to take the rose collored glasses off.
But Russia fits well with american conservative values. Employers can force employees to pray, they outlawed talking about homosexuality and so on. It really is the Republican ideal, and it seems like they are finally realizing that.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 07:24 AM   #45
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Putin is certainly a threat, but the threat is constrained by a couple of factors which Putin can do little or nothing about. The biggest one is simply demographics: Russia is a country without a future. Its shrinking population guarantees that in the long run, no matter what Putin does, its influence will decline. The shorter term problem for Russia is that they simply don't have enough money. Their economy is crap, they depend too heavily on oil, and oil prices have declined. Putin simply can't fund all his ambitions. He can still cause a lot of problems, but he will never recapture the old Soviet prominence.

China has demographic problems as well, but their sheer size means that even with a declining population they will still be a power to reckon with. And they've got economic muscle that Russia can only dream of, although they've got some real economic vulnerabilities as well.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 03:40 PM   #46
Samson
Philosopher

Anyone interested in analysing this video and figuring.
The attackers said she faked it, but the girl says not and she had a bad leg so struggled to get up.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...our/ar-AAFkNow
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 04:25 PM   #47
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

The contemporary Russians didn't choose authoritarianism. It was forced on them. Putin was able to nudge things just enough to make sure he won and that he can't be challenged.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 01:54 AM   #48
a_unique_person

Looks like China is signalling quite clearly "Tiananmin Square II" the sequal is about to happen.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 01:04 PM   #49
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Looks like China is signalling quite clearly "Tiananmin Square II" the sequal is about to happen.
And you will have a number of people in the West who will justify it, of course.
IMHO it way past time for the Mandate Of Heaven to be withdrawn from the current regime.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 07:44 PM   #50
Giz
Philosopher

And you will have a number of people in the West who will justify it, of course.
IMHO it way past time for the Mandate Of Heaven to be withdrawn from the current regime.
China has probably learnt from the fall of the USSR (and perhaps Egypt & Libya compared to Syria)... if an authoritarian government wants to hang on to power, donít be weak - be ruthless.

I feel desperately sorry for the people of Hong Kong... but I donít know how much anyone can/will do to help them.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:45 AM   #51
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, but how do you do it? Do we launch a nuclear war? That doesn't seem like it's worth it.

The best way to weaken the Chinese communist party short of a shooting war is to engage in a trade war. Their economy is very vulnerable to that.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 10:47 PM   #52
a_unique_person

The whole world is very vulnerable to a trade war. Australia will be one of the first losers.
Old 10th August 2019, 01:01 PM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
China has probably learnt from the fall of the USSR (and perhaps Egypt & Libya compared to Syria)... if an authoritarian government wants to hang on to power, donít be weak - be ruthless.

I feel desperately sorry for the people of Hong Kong... but I donít know how much anyone can/will do to help them.
Not much, sadly.
Boycotttng Chinese goods is a non starter,so much stuff is imported from CHina.
And the Chinese Gvernment does not care much about its image.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th August 2019, 01:02 PM   #54
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The whole world is very vulnerable to a trade war. Australia will be one of the first losers.
Trade war has already started,Pal.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th August 2019, 03:17 PM   #55
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Russia never scared me but China is terrifying in the Pacific.
Russian culture closely matches European, and will default to libertarian values.

He hopes.
While modern Russia certainly tries to loosely imitate Europe, China doesn't even pretend to try. Very non politically correct and blunt with their iron fist.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 04:29 PM   #56
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of posts in other forums pretty much echoing the Beijing propaganda line. Looks as if the Chinese are taking a page from Putin's internet tactics and has hired a bunch of shills.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th August 2019, 02:32 AM   #57
KDLarsen
Illuminator

A lot of posts in other forums pretty much echoing the Beijing propaganda line. Looks as if the Chinese are taking a page from Putin's internet tactics and has hired a bunch of shills.
The 50 cent army has been around for a while now, although I'm told they're now down to 30 cents
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 12:51 PM   #58
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
The unprecedented cancellation of all flights on Monday coincided with the latest in an increasingly threatening series of statements by Beijing. A Chinese official said “terrorism” was emerging in the city, while in Hong Kong authorities demonstrated water cannon for use in crowd control.

Late on Monday, two Chinese state media outlets ran videos showing armoured personnel carriers purportedly driving to Shenzhen, which borders Hong Kong.

On Tuesday, the territory’s chief executive, Carrie Lam, said violence was pushing Hong Kong “down a path of no return”. .

Lam, who at one point appeared to be near tears, appealed for calm but again refused any concessions to protesters.

“Take a minute to think, look at our city, our home, do you all really want to see it pushed into an abyss?” she asked.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rious-concerns

The way things are going it's only a matter of time before the Chinese government orders the military to seize control of Hong Kong. As i said before, the Communist party was never ever going to allow any genuinely democratic form of government in Hong Kong and it has in fact systematically chipping away at the institutional and political autonomy Hong Kong notionally should enjoy.

The fact that Carrie Lam refuses to respond to the question of whether she has the autonomy to dismiss the extradition bill is illustrative of not just the Chinese governments control, but also how they refuse to give any kind of concessions or engage in any dialogue, instead they only aggravate the situation by provoking the pro-democracy activists with their stubborn behavior, such as by not explicitly withdrawing the extradition bill.

Last edited by Arcade22; 13th August 2019 at 12:56 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:47 PM   #59
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah; clear that a promise from the Chinese Government is pretty much worthless.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th August 2019, 02:48 PM   #60
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
The 50 cent army has been around for a while now, although I'm told they're now down to 30 cents
And not worth that much, really. Pretty inept,make little effort to hide where they are coming from. The Russian shills are also pretty bad at this, but the Chinese shills are even worse.
The use of the term "New China" is sort of a giveaway.
What is sad is that some people who should really know better are supporting China simply because Trump does not like them. The enemy of my enemy is my friend routine is really stupid.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 13th August 2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 13th August 2019, 03:47 PM   #61
CORed
Philosopher

And the Chinese Gvernment does not care much about its image.
If anything they want to be feared, not loved or respected.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 05:58 PM   #62
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The idea of protesting at the airport is to prevent a Tiananmin-like massacre. They are counting on China not shooting with tourists and other travelers there. Doesn't mean they won't start rounding protestors up though.

Trump won't do anything, but to be fair, it's unlikely any other POTUS would have either.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th August 2019 at 06:00 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:50 PM   #63
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The idea of protesting at the airport is to prevent a Tiananmin-like massacre. They are counting on China not shooting with tourists and other travelers there. Doesn't mean they won't start rounding protestors up though.

Trump won't do anything, but to be fair, it's unlikely any other POTUS would have either.
What exactly could POTUS do? Start a trade war? Declare literal war?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 08:12 PM   #64
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Declare victory when China stands pat. Hong Kong isn't Beijing, that's the entire point being made.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:15 PM   #65
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Frank Newgent View Post
Declare victory when China stands pat. Hong Kong isn't Beijing, that's the entire point being made.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Could you spell out your argument?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 08:21 PM   #66
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

Self explanatory. Parts of Hong Kong are among the most densely populated places on earth. Probably ungovernable should Beijing make a move.

And Trump is such a goddamned moron he'll attempt to take credit for this.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:24 PM   #67
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Self explanatory. Parts of Hong Kong are among the most densely populated places on earth. Probably ungovernable should Beijing make a move.

And Trump is such a goddamned moron he'll attempt to take credit for this.
Leaving Trump out of this, what's your reasoning on the "ungovernable" bit?
Old 13th August 2019, 08:28 PM   #68
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

Hong Kong educated population would resist being invaded. Densely populated=hard to control.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:32 PM   #69
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Hong Kong educated population would resist being invaded. Densely populated=hard to control.
It's an island. Blockade it for a month, and it's yours.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:34 PM   #70
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

China might be smarter than that. Guess we'll see.
Old 13th August 2019, 09:11 PM   #71
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Why are you asking me?
Quote:
to be fair, it's unlikely any other POTUS would have either
Old 13th August 2019, 09:54 PM   #72
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

It's an island. Blockade it for a month, and it's yours.
Nitpick: There is an island. Officially it's called Victoria Island, but many refer to it as Hong Kong Island or the Hong Kong side (of the harbor). But the majority of the city and Hong Kong S.A.R. is actually on the mainland.

China ain't going to invade or blockade Hong Kong. I have no idea what the outcome of this misadventure is going to be, but a blockade or cross-border invasion ain't on the books. The PLA has a garrison in HK and troops move in and out freely. They are "letting" the HK Police handle it. "Letting" because they can't be seen to be bringing down the hobnail boot. What they're actually doing is telling the HK Police to fix it. With no experience in politics, the HK Police are at a loss as to what to do.

With the economic shoe dropping, the sentiments of the HK public are going to turn more against the protesters. The HK$ is tied to an exchange rate against the USD but floats against other Asian currencies and is hurting. The losses for the airport protests are only (sic) about 100 million usd. But if they continue to disrupt the airport (there are still protest groups allowed at two entrance/exitways) and Shenzhen International picks up much trade at HK International's expense, look for business leaders to start clamoring for Beijing to do something about it. HK is all about the economy. The port and airport are a huge part of this. Tourism is another. Both areas are suffering.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 10:20 PM   #73
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Thank you for that information, foolme.
Old 14th August 2019, 08:56 AM   #74
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Nitpick: <bla bla bla>
Nitpick: I can't hear you over the sound of how evil I am.
Old 14th August 2019, 09:19 AM   #75
Belz...
Fiend God

Associated note, Chris patten challenges Jon snow for the knew nothing crown:

ďSometimes it is difficult to avoid the rather gloomy thought that we are seeing the emergence of a superpower that does not believe in individual human rights. ď - from his guardian opinion piece
Wow, where has this guy been these last 75 years?

Say what you will about foreign organ-stealing murdering despots but at least they arenít our domestic opposition!
Better a Russian than a Democrat, amirite?

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The shorter term problem for Russia is that they simply don't have enough money.
Well, that's kind of Putin's and his friends' fault in part.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 02:38 PM   #76
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Wonder how the Noble House is doing in all of this?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th August 2019, 04:57 PM   #77
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Nitpick: I can't hear you over the sound of how evil I am.
Ha ha! That never gets old!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:29 AM   #78
Giz
Philosopher

Wonder how the Noble House is doing in all of this?
Those gai-Jin have been through the whirlwind
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:32 AM   #79
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

Better a Russian than a Democrat, amirite?

Fine people on both sides
Old 15th August 2019, 08:27 AM   #80
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Violent Protests In Hong Kong Reach Their Last Stage

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics