ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th June 2019, 04:39 PM   #41
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

For tonight’s #DemDebate, be sure to follow @TeamTrump, @TrumpWarRoom, @Parscale, @KayleighMcEnany, @TimMurtaugh, and @Marc_Lotter for RAPID RESPONSE, FACT CHECKING, and the TRUTH! #MAGA #KAG
Sorry, I’m on Air Force One, off to save the Free World!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 04:54 PM   #42
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

For tonight’s #DemDebate, be sure to follow @TeamTrump, @TrumpWarRoom, @Parscale, @KayleighMcEnany, @TimMurtaugh, and @Marc_Lotter for RAPID RESPONSE, FACT CHECKING, and the TRUTH! #MAGA #KAG
Oh, good lord.

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 04:57 PM   #43
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This is what this forum has devolved into: Copy pasta'd tweets, and reaction jpgs.

You couldn't even be arsed to trim the stock photo footer.

Last edited by theprestige; 26th June 2019 at 04:58 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 04:57 PM   #44
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
In American English, 'spit' is used as the preterit and the past participle.
We're such rebels!
Don't Tread On YOU!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 04:59 PM   #45
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This is what this forum has devolved into: Copy pasta'd tweets, and reaction jpgs.
Correction: Single-source copy pasta'd tweets. And it's such a rich vein of face-palming gob-smacking train-crash material that it fuels itself.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 05:05 PM   #46
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Apart from the truly lunatic postscript revealing his reversion to his three-year-old true self...

It's going to be hilarious if the FACT CHECKING reveals that (a) everything the candidates says is true, and (b) what they say is about how ******* bad at his job Trump is.

Maybe it's better that he IS on AF1 and on his way to Asia again.
Old 26th June 2019, 05:09 PM   #47
Stacyhs
Philosopher

My goodness. Having a bad day, prestige? What next? A rant against what font is used?
I suppose I could have trimmed the stock photo footer but I fail to see how that would affect anything. Well, other than to give you less to be petty about.

ETA: As the saying goes: a picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 26th June 2019 at 05:10 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 05:13 PM   #48
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Well, Trump and his fellow travelers are so simple, sometimes, that's all you need. It's not like the pro America crowd is arguing against an intelligent, well read opponent.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 05:47 PM   #49
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Nah, bro, those are just the posts you personally decide to respond to. You run away from the more substantial discussions, once you realize you're in over your head and have nothing worth contributing. LOL!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 06:52 PM   #50
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

The TRUTH, do you hear me? THE TRUTH!

Bwa.

Ha.

Ha.
Old 26th June 2019, 06:54 PM   #51
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Nah, bro, those are just the posts you personally decide to respond to. You run away from the more substantial discussions, once you realize you're in over your head and have nothing worth contributing. LOL!
You noticed that too?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 07:16 PM   #52
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Hey, it's easier to whine about the response than it is to defend the statement by the President.
Old 26th June 2019, 07:35 PM   #53
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

“I have been in office for many years, the Military is very important to me, and at no time in my professional life has the U.S. Military been as strong as it is right now.”
Thank you @LindseyGrahamSC

The Republican Senate just passed bipartisan humanitarian assistance for our Southern Border, 84-8! In addition to aid, Congress must close the catastrophic loopholes that are driving the Crisis. We must end incentives for Smuggling Children, Trafficking Women, and Selling Drugs.
Old 26th June 2019, 07:38 PM   #54
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I sincerely hope that there was tuberculosis involved.
Except for bovine tuberculosis, you can't get TB by eating the organisms.
Old 26th June 2019, 07:41 PM   #55
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You think Trump apologetics is somehow a higher level of discourse?

Sometimes memes, images and emojis are quite succinct.
Old 26th June 2019, 08:52 PM   #56
FenerFan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Oops, some grammar pedantry needed.
Headline: Eric Trump says he was spit on at Chicago restaurant.
Opening sentence: Eric Trump, son of President Donald Trump, said Tuesday he was spat on by an employee at a Chicago-area restaurant.

Spit? Spat? Potayto? Potahto?
"You lucky, lucky bastard."
Old 26th June 2019, 10:18 PM   #57
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

If President Donald Trump is giving advice about how to FACT CHECK things, then reaction JPGs are an appropriate response.

We are talking about the guy who asserted that the sound of wind-powered electric generators causes cancer.

We are talking about the guy who still claims more people attended his inauguration than attended President Obama’s inauguration.

We are talking about the guy who still claims he won the popular vote once the 3-7 million illegal voters are subtracted out. Even though no Republican governor, attorney general, or secretary of state can find even tens of thousands of illegal votes cast.

We are talking about the guy who referred to Apple CEO Tim Cook as Tim Apple. And then he tried to dismiss his gaff by claiming that he really said “Tim Cook Apple,” but the FAKE NEWS media falsely asserted that he didn’t say it. And the next day he changed his story saying "I quickly referred to Tim + Apple as Tim/Apple as an easy way to save time & words. The Fake News was disparagingly all over this, & it became yet another bad Trump story!" [aside: at least one of those two excuses must be a lie]

We are talking about a guy who dictated a letter in which he claimed he was (at age 70) “the healthiest person to ever run for the presidency” and then paid his doctor to sign his name to the letter.

We are talking about the man who knows more about everything than anyone in the world:

Courts: "I know more about courts than any human being on Earth." (November 2015.)
Politicians: "I understand politicians better than anybody."
Trade: "Nobody knows more about trade than me." (March 2016.)
The U.S. government system: "[N]obody knows the system better than I do." (April 2016.)
Renewable energy: "I know more about renewables than any human being on Earth." (April 2016.)
Taxes: "I think nobody knows more about taxes than I do, maybe in the history of the world." (May 2016.)
Money: "I understand money better than anybody." (June 2016.)
Infrastructure: "[L]ook, as a builder, nobody in the history of this country has ever known so much about infrastructure as Donald Trump." (July 2016.)
Technology: "Technology — nobody knows more about technology than me." (December 2018.)
Drones: "I know more about drones than anybody. I know about every form of safety that you can have." (January 2019.)
That guy.

You want us to take that guy seriously when he gives advice on fact checking?
[not a rhetorical question]
Old 26th June 2019, 10:22 PM   #58
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

not a fan of memes in serious discussions.

But then, Trump cannot be taken seriously on anything, since not even he knows when much he is deliberately lying.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 26th June 2019 at 10:23 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 11:45 PM   #59
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Interesting that you don't think there is any value in posting official USA government statements in the USA politics section.
Old 27th June 2019, 12:10 AM   #60
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Here ya go. I trimmed it. Hope that makes it all better for ya.
Old 27th June 2019, 12:11 AM   #61
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Interesting that you don't think there is any value in posting official USA government statements in the USA politics section.
Trump apologists take the Tweets they like and ignore anything that contradicts the apologies.
Old 27th June 2019, 01:17 AM   #62
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Meanwhile in Afghanistan, a pregnant woman who's baby died as a result of a shooting is charged with the death of the baby, whilst the shooter is set free.

Oh wait, I meant Alabama.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alabam...ach?ref=scroll
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 02:11 AM   #63
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Meanwhile in Afghanistan, a pregnant woman who's baby died as a result of a shooting is charged with the death of the baby, whilst the shooter is set free.

I guess that there's some kind of twisted logic to it. Apparently the woman who was shot has been determined to be the instigator of the conflict which led to her being shot (which is also presumably why a grand jury did not indict the shooter).

I suppose the lawmakers of Alabama see this as a backdoor way to get an abortion
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 02:13 AM   #64
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Ever since the passage of the Super Predator Crime Bill, pushed hard by @JoeBiden, together with Bill and Crooked Hillary Clinton, which inflicted great pain on many, but especially the African American Community, Democrats have tried and failed to pass Criminal Justice Reform...

....They came to me asking for help, and I got Criminal Justice Reform passed, with help from both Republicans and Democrats. Many said that nobody but President Trump could have done this. All previous administrations failed. Please ask why THEY failed to the candidates!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 02:15 AM   #65
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

@NBCNews and @MSNBC should be ashamed of themselves for having such a horrible technical breakdown in the middle of the debate. Truly unprofessional and only worthy of a FAKE NEWS Organization, which they are!

BORING!
Old 27th June 2019, 02:17 AM   #66
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post

This is one of the most sickening things I've ever heard of. I hope it attracts national if not international attention and that people lose their jobs over this insane perversion of justice. I predict the whole thing will be swept under the rug within 48 hours tops, but recall efforts should be launched ASAP against the D.A., chief of police, mayor and whoever else can be called to account for this disgraceful attack on sanity and decency. Times like these Travis doesn't seem so far off the mark. (Mods: Hope it's OK to say this; if not delete this sentence.)

I'm not quite sure it belongs in this thread, though.

Last edited by Minoosh; 27th June 2019 at 02:18 AM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 02:17 AM   #67
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I look forward to speaking with Prime Minister Modi about the fact that India, for years having put very high Tariffs against the United States, just recently increased the Tariffs even further. This is unacceptable and the Tariffs must be withdrawn!
Old 27th June 2019, 02:22 AM   #68
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Who would have thought, a country that you put tariffs on will retaliate with tariffs against you?

Trade Wars are easy.
Old 27th June 2019, 02:29 AM   #69
Mumbles
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Ever since the passage of the Super Predator Crime Bill, pushed hard by @JoeBiden, together with Bill and Crooked Hillary Clinton, which inflicted great pain on many, but especially the African American Community, Democrats have tried and failed to pass Criminal Justice Reform...

....They came to me asking for help, and I got Criminal Justice Reform passed, with help from both Republicans and Democrats. Many said that nobody but President Trump could have done this. All previous administrations failed. Please ask why THEY failed to the candidates!
I keep saying, these tweets are aimed at reassuring his supporters that the blacks are simply too stupid to vote for him, and they're not in any way racist.

Which, if you still support Dolt 45, I feel pretty safe assuming that you're a white supremacist. He signed the First Step law because of Kushner's father, not for black people. It failed under Obama due to GOP resistance, and Dolt 45's administration has reversed everything Holder did that would had far more impact.

Last edited by Mumbles; 27th June 2019 at 02:33 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 03:01 AM   #70
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Why would that make you a jerk? Yes, I think he could lose support from both quarters, but it's just a gut feeling. You don't have to think he's guilty of rape to realize what a ******-up thing that is to say. And his Iran comment is too reminiscent of Bush's early optimism re: Iraq. I've read critiques that have said Bush wasn't stupid, but his limited imagination could not conceive of outcomes that didn't consist of cheering Iraqis greeting U.S. soldiers as liberators. Oops.
Those comments will have zero impact on President Trump’s support because (1) most of his supporters are unaware that he said them, (2) most of the rest don’t care, (3) many of them think “she’s not my type” is a relevant and appropriate argument in establishing one’s defense in a rape accusation, and (4) they believe an exit strategy is unnecessary because we would, in President Trump’s words, obliterate them.

After all, they might ask, did we need an exit strategy as we marched into Nazi Germany? Of course, even those with a cursory knowledge of history knows we did need an exit strategy.

ETA
I would be happy to eat crow on this matter, but I am pretty certain that if the support numbers have not shifted in the past two years, we are not going to have one in the next two years.

Last edited by Ladewig; 27th June 2019 at 03:03 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 03:21 AM   #71
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thank you @MSNBC, real professionals! @chucktodd @maddow
Old 27th June 2019, 03:42 AM   #72
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Those comments will have zero impact on President Trump’s support because (1) most of his supporters are unaware that he said them, (2) most of the rest don’t care, (3) many of them think “she’s not my type” is a relevant and appropriate argument in establishing one’s defense in a rape accusation, and (4) they believe an exit strategy is unnecessary because we would, in President Trump’s words, obliterate them.

After all, they might ask, did we need an exit strategy as we marched into Nazi Germany? Of course, even those with a cursory knowledge of history knows we did need an exit strategy.

ETA
I would be happy to eat crow on this matter, but I am pretty certain that if the support numbers have not shifted in the past two years, we are not going to have one in the next two years.
I would agree. It's highly unlikely that support for the traitor would go down. Roughly 40% of the US electorate have decided that treason is a-ok as long as it's done in the name of white supremacy, and they ain't changin' their minds fo' nufin.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 04:20 AM   #73
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Trump Tweets

Somebody stole his phone while he was flying off to save the world by starting fights with Japan and India? Trump didn't tweet that.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 04:23 AM   #74
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Trump Accuses Mueller of Fictional Criminal Activity

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/26/p...mes/index.html

Just his usual daily ranting, I'm sure. Totally a coincidence that Mueller just agreed to honor the subpoena from the House.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 04:42 AM   #75
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Hell I don't even follow Trump's tweets I'm surprised so many others here do LOL
Old 27th June 2019, 05:05 AM   #76
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump Tweets

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Somebody stole his phone while he was flying off to save the world by starting fights with Japan and India? Trump didn't tweet that.
Context -- it was accompanied by a(n altered) video of the lights going out during the debate last night. The comment was intended to be sarcastic, I think.
Old 27th June 2019, 06:26 AM   #77
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Hell I don't even follow Trump's tweets I'm surprised so many others here do LOL
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...wait, why is that funny? For the 5,000th time it's a) relative to the thread as Trump is saying it and b) primetime *******-tery.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 07:58 AM   #78
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
(rolleyeslet'sdothisyeah)
I also momentarily stopped at the highlighted "many years" part, but that was just trump retweeting Lindsay Graham, so no problem there.
TofuFighter is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 08:42 AM   #79
carrps
Thinker

Trump Tweets

I have been in office for many years, the Military is very important to me, and at no time in my professional life has the U.S. Military been as strong as it is right now.”
Thank you @LindseyGrahamSC

The Republican Senate just passed bipartisan humanitarian assistance for our Southern Border, 84-8! In addition to aid, Congress must close the catastrophic loopholes that are driving the Crisis. We must end incentives for Smuggling Children, Trafficking Women, and Selling Drugs.
It's been barely two years.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 08:48 AM   #80
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
(rolleyeslet'sdothisyeah)
I also momentarily stopped at the highlighted "many years" part, but that was just trump retweeting Lindsay Graham, so no problem there.
Ah, thanks. And ninja'd by Ginger.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics