ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump supporters

Old 1st August 2019, 08:33 AM   #201
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Are you sure about that? I wasn't necessarily talking about you.
Pretty sure.

It's not a big deal to me, though. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'd be more interested in seeing an example of someone who had serious concerns about Godwin's law, than about continuing to be right on this point.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 08:36 AM   #202
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I can, but I won't.
'k.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 08:37 AM   #203
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
This thread isn't about criticism of Trump. It's criticism of Trump supporters. Did you forget?
you didn't read my post.
The fact that Trump supporters accuse everyone else of being anti-american instead of just being anti-Trump is exactly the reason why it is so hard to treat them with civility.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 08:42 AM   #204
Allen773
Graduate Poster

I’d like to see a direct defense of Trump’s comments here, not faux-neutral eye-rolling from the “anti-anti-Trump” crowd.

At least Foolmewunz is clear on where he stands. I can’t argue with someone who refuses to commit to anything other than chiding liberals.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 08:57 AM   #205
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
I’d like to see a direct defense of Trump’s comments here, not faux-neutral eye-rolling from the “anti-anti-Trump” crowd.

At least Foolmewunz is clear on where he stands. I can’t argue with someone who refuses to commit to anything other than chiding liberals.
Oh, shut up and go back to Africa.
Old 1st August 2019, 09:06 AM   #206
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
There is a difference between hating the country and hating how the country is run - and no Trump supporter seems to be willing to make the distinction.
It is almost as if criticism of Trump is being equated with criticism of the nation ...
Indeed. This is a fair criticism of some ardent Trump supporters. One needn’t necessarily conflate this with racism if the critical person happens to be of minority descent or hails from another country.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 09:08 AM   #207
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
<snip>
Evil!
Old 1st August 2019, 09:24 AM   #208
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

you didn't read my post.
The fact that Trump supporters accuse everyone else of being anti-american instead of just being anti-Trump is exactly the reason why it is so hard to treat them with civility.
I did read your post. The problem is that you don't actually understand the significance of your own words. It's funny, but you're really doing exactly what you're accusing your opponents of doing: stereotyping a large and diverse group in order to justify hating all of them.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 09:28 AM   #209
sackett
Philosopher

Wellsir, FMW, I’m afraid

that I have to differ with you about calling the Trumph crowd evil. That’s hyperbolic, IMO. Exasperating, disgusting, laughable, proudly ignorant, destructive – hell yes, all that and a lot more adjectives. But they lack the stature to achieve genuine evil. There’s no grandeur about them; opposing them doesn’t make you proud. The evil men abroad in the country right now are not the sorry Trumpist lot we see and hear, chanting their slogans and waving their stars, bars, and (sometimes) swastikas.

You and I feel much the same way when we contemplate the lumpen-trumpen: angry and revolted, and perhaps alarmed when we reflect on what they might be used for. But we need to keep our heads (yes, me as much as you) and recall that the poor wretches have no power, not even the power of numbers. The really sinister types, the wealthy, the ideologues wielding influence, will never, ever, share power with anyone – especially not with the poor.

One more thing we should keep in mind, I think: not every Trump fan is an absolute Trumpanzee, lost to all reason, incapable of reflection, beyond the reach of better feeling. They can wake from their ugly dream, and see its ugliness. God bless their dirty hearts, they’re still our fellow-citizens; underestimating the citizens of a democracy is always unwise.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 09:34 AM   #210
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Telling people who don't like the country that they should leave isn't racist, though.
That's NOT what Trump said in the tweet that triggered all this. That's just another ******** rewrite of what he actually said -- go back and read it. Like every other time he's said something racially offensive, the turd polishers are so happy to interpret what he "really" meant, but what he actually said was that the Squad shouldn't be telling "the people of the United States" how to run "our" government when their "countries of origin" are such horrible "infested" places, they should go back and fix those. He doesn't think we should take in any immigrants at all from ****-hole countries, so of course he doesn't think they should be allowed to participate in "our" government. It was a stunning display of ignorance and stupidity about three of the Squad, of course, and after his people informed him, he had to pretend that it was because they "hate America," not because of their ****-hole countries of origin. Some extremely stupid people will buy that, and some extremely disingenuous people will once again let Trump slide.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 09:36 AM   #211
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There were direct defenses in the thread where those comments were actually discussed.

This thread is about dismissing all of that as "evil".

Which, for some reason, FMW seems to believe is a breakthrough in political discourse.
Old 1st August 2019, 09:47 AM   #212
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

There were direct defenses in the thread where those comments were actually discussed.

Which, for some reason, FMW seems to believe is a breakthrough in political discourse.
I have to disagree on that last point. I think the entire purpose of such a thread is to signal membership in good standing with one's tribe. Not only is this discourse not novel, but that lack of novelty is part of the very purpose.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 09:58 AM   #213
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I did read your post. The problem is that you don't actually understand the significance of your own words. It's funny, but you're really doing exactly what you're accusing your opponents of doing: stereotyping a large and diverse group in order to justify hating all of them.
I don't think so.
First of all, I only hate Trump and his direct enablers. With Trump supporters, I am merely exasperated. The fact that you and others portray criticism of Trump supporters as hate is stereotyping, and plainly wrong.

I haven't met a Trump supporter who isn't either authoritarian (i.e. no criticism of the Commander in Chief allowed) or isn't engaged in Special Pleading ( you can't judge Trump by the historical rules of correctness).
They might all be diverse, but I can despise the behavior they all have in common - that doesn't mean I despise them as individuals or as a group.
So stop stereotyping me, please.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 10:01 AM   #214
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think so.
First of all, I only hate Trump and his direct enablers. With Trump supporters, I am merely exasperated. The fact that you and others portray criticism of Trump supporters as hate is stereotyping, and plainly wrong.
You weren't talking about criticizing Trump supporters. You were talking about treating them uncivilly, and justifying doing so.

Quote:
So stop stereotyping me, please.
Nothing I've said about you has anything to do with any group characteristics. It's only been about you as an individual. You can try to argue I'm wrong, but it's laughable on its face that I'm the one stereotyping.

Last edited by Ziggurat; 1st August 2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:02 AM   #215
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I have to disagree on that last point. I think the entire purpose of such a thread is to signal membership in good standing with one's tribe. Not only is this discourse not novel, but that lack of novelty is part of the very purpose.
Well, that's a vast over-simplification with, perhaps, a touch of projection. It ignores the central premise that Trump is even less of an unknown quantity than he was in 2016. There cannot reasonably be any feigning ignorance of what Trump is doing. Although, I would argue that one could be in a state of being profoundly misinformed.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:04 AM   #216
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that's a vast over-simplification with, perhaps, a touch of projection.
That's an ironic complaint, given this entire thread.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:06 AM   #217
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You weren't talking about criticizing Trump supporters. You were talking about treating them uncivilly, and justifying doing so.
treating someone without civility (especially when they treat you that way first) isn't the same as hating them.

I hope you will acknowledge that.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:10 AM   #218
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

treating someone without civility (especially when they treat you that way first) isn't the same as hating them.

It's not the same thing as criticizing them either, is it?
Old 1st August 2019, 10:11 AM   #219
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But pointing out Trumps racism is exactly what you can't do. That makes them racists or comfortable around racists and that is worse than saying you hate them, as it is calling their morals into question. That is why nothing he can do can possibly be called racist.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 10:14 AM   #220
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's not the same thing as criticizing them either, is it?
No.
Since I made it clear what I criticize. And when in return I am called a hater or in effect crazy, I do happen to react less than civil.
But I don't tell Trump supporters to leave the country when it is obvious that they hate a majority of the population because they don't agree with them.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:23 AM   #221
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

'k.
Well, that's just sad. Not even going to pretend at critical thinking?
Old 1st August 2019, 10:24 AM   #222
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No.
Since I made it clear what I criticize.
The issue isn't what you were criticizing. It's that you were justifying doing something other than criticism. And you can't defend that on the basis that criticism is acceptable.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:28 AM   #223
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that's just sad. Not even going to pretend at critical thinking?
Evil! Remember?
Old 1st August 2019, 10:32 AM   #224
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Evil! Remember?
Cherry picking, too. Guess it beats having to self-reflect.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:35 AM   #225
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The issue isn't what you were criticizing. It's that you were justifying doing something other than criticism. And you can't defend that on the basis that criticism is acceptable.
again, I did that - on the basis of Reciprocity.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:36 AM   #226
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Cherry picking, too. Guess it beats having to self-reflect.
My reflection comes back EVIL.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:54 AM   #227
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I can't dig out the quotation right now but Will Cuppy once wrote that hating people makes no sense because they don't care a bit, they're too mean to care.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:05 AM   #228
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I can't dig out the quotation right now but Will Cuppy once wrote that hating people makes no sense because they don't care a bit, they're too mean to care.
Too evil to care, probably.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:08 AM   #229
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Too evil to care, probably.
What people call evil is really just selfishness, most of the time.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:10 AM   #230
Allen773
Graduate Poster

So in other words, you have nothing.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 11:19 AM   #231
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What people call evil is really just selfishness, most of the time.
Whatevs. Tell it to FMW, if you think it's important.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:20 AM   #232
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

So in other words, you have nothing.
I mean, I have EVIL. So there's that.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:25 AM   #233
Allen773
Graduate Poster

I mean, I have EVIL. So there's that.
I wouldn’t call disingenuous trolling “evil”, necessarily.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:27 AM   #234
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Whatevs. Tell it to FMW, if you think it's important.
There's no need to be rude to me, I haven't called you evil or selfish. I do think you're a bit of a crabby bunny lately, though. I advise treating yourself to a nice dinner and binge-watching Netflix. Have you seen "Dark"? It's pretty good.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:34 AM   #235
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Netflix and chill.

Wait a minute, wrong site. I thought this was Christian Mingle.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:38 AM   #236
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Have you seen "Dark"? It's pretty good.
I tried watching it a while ago. For some reason, the descriptive audio was the only thing I could get. Very distracting, couldn't keep watching. I might try again, though.

Have you seen American Vandal? That was great.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:45 AM   #237
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn’t call disingenuous trolling “evil”, necessarily.
Fair enough.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:52 AM   #238
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There's no need to be rude to me, I haven't called you evil or selfish. I do think you're a bit of a crabby bunny lately, though. I advise treating yourself to a nice dinner and binge-watching Netflix. Have you seen "Dark"? It's pretty good.
Thanks for the feedback. I agree you are not being rude or calling me names here. Sorry for going (mildly) off on you.

My secret, Cap, is that I'm always a crabby bunny.

Mostly in this thread, though, I'm just taking the piss out of FMW's exciting announcement that it's time to start calling people "evil".
Old 1st August 2019, 12:07 PM   #239
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

there's always Super-evil!!!!
Old 1st August 2019, 12:36 PM   #240
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
there's always Super-evil!!!!
It'll be interesting to see where FMW goes from here, if he has to put up with another 4 years of Trump.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics