ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , protest incidents , US-Denmark relations

Old 21st August 2019, 11:46 AM   #241
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Obama and the baby blimp were both coming to Denmark. No wonder Trump cancelled his visit.

Wouldn't it be fun if Obama and the baby blimp headed off Trump on visits to multiple countries?
Old 21st August 2019, 11:55 AM   #242
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Non of those, as far as I know, were citizens of another country.

The Greenlanders are Danish citizens, which gives them a lot of rights. Even if they retained their Danish citizenship, what would happen to their health care? What would happen to their free education?

But this is all so stupid, anyway. I can't understand what Trump was thinking, or how how advisors didn't talk some sense into him.

The nickname "The Emperor Without Clothes" is used in many Scandinavian newspapers today.
Given that Hans Christian Andersen was a Dane, that reference is so damn appropriate.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:56 AM   #243
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Obama and the baby blimp were both coming to Denmark. No wonder Trump cancelled his visit.

Wouldn't it be fun if Obama and the baby blimp headed off Trump on visits to multiple countries?
Seems like a crap thing to do to Obama. Doesn't he have better things to do with his life than travel the world with a baby balloon, saving sovereign nations from Donald Trump?

Also, they're sovereign nations. Why do they need Barack Obama to deal with their Trump problem? It seemed to me like the Danish government had the situation under control, without having to appeal to the Obamassiah.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:58 AM   #244
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Good God, a horrid thought occurs: you don't suppose he was trying to buy it for himself, personally, like the Belgian Congo? Like he read up on King Leopold and the atrocities and thought "that sounds smart!"
Leopold the Damned would be the kind of person Trump would admire...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:59 AM   #245
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Seems like a crap thing to do to Obama. Doesn't he have better things to do with his life than travel the world with a baby balloon, saving sovereign nations from Donald Trump?

Also, they're sovereign nations. Why do they need Barack Obama to deal with their Trump problem? It seemed to me like the Danish government had the situation under control, without having to appeal to the Obamassiah.
You can spin it all you want, but your Dear Leader just made a total ass of himself in the eyes of all but his braindead followers.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:01 PM   #246
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, how do you think the Obama invitation happened?

He is giving a talk on September 28, far as I can tell. What makes you think that this was needed to help "deal with their Trump problem"?

Honestly, your recent comments are hard to follow.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:15 PM   #247
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You can spin it all you want, but your Dear Leader just made a total ass of himself in the eyes of all but his braindead followers.
One, he's not my dear leader.

Two, if you think he only just now made an ass of himself in the eyes of the world, you haven't been paying attention.

Three, no spin, just having fun with the idea of Barack Obama and a baby balloon traveling the world, driving off Donald Trump like some sort of surreal exorcist. It was Skeptic Ginger's idea; maybe talk to her about the spin.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:21 PM   #248
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post

He is giving a talk on September 28, far as I can tell. What makes you think that this was needed to help "deal with their Trump problem"?

You may find it helpful to read the post I'm replying to. I usually try to quote it, to make the necessary context easily accessible.

In this case, as you can see from SG's post, I'm replying to the idea of Obama making a regular thing of this. Every time Trump plans to go somewhere, Obama arranges to be there with a big baby balloon and scare him off. Which seems to me to be both a crappy job to give to Obama, and also probably unnecessary.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:32 PM   #249
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

You may find it helpful to read the post I'm replying to. I usually try to quote it, to make the necessary context easily accessible.

In this case, as you can see from SG's post, I'm replying to the idea of Obama making a regular thing of this. Every time Trump plans to go somewhere, Obama arranges to be there with a big baby balloon and scare him off. Which seems to me to be both a crappy job to give to Obama, and also probably unnecessary.
Fair point.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:47 PM   #250
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yawn
Old 21st August 2019, 12:49 PM   #251
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He's now admitted when questioned that the PM telling him the proposal was "absurd" was offensive.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:51 PM   #252
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Fair point.
I thought it was a good idea.

TP is worried about wasting Obama's time.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:59 PM   #253
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I thought it was a good idea. : cool :

TP is worried about wasting Obama's time. : rolleyes :
It's not like he has an infinite amount of the stuff. Even I can acknowledge that whatever good Obama can still do in the world, it's probably a lot more than simply being Donald Trump's personal scarecrow.

Even I have better fantasies about Obama than that.
Old 21st August 2019, 01:24 PM   #254
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I did not get from SG's post the idea that Obama was needed, nor that he was summoned by Denmark, nor any reason for someone so vociferously opposed to nasty nicknames when they apply to Trump to find a new one for Obama. Simply a suggestion that it would be convenient and economical if he and the balloon were sufficient to steer Trump.

A Trump supporter could even spin this into a benefit, as it might thus prevent the irascible and unpredictable president from making a further fool of himself in distant lands. e.t.a. you could even count Obama, then, as a Trump aide.

By the way, when speaking of Greenland and the utterly ridiculous proposal to buy it from Denmark, one ought to remember that it is an autonomous nation, with its own parliament, home rule, flag, and a constitutional right of self-determination, though it remains a part of the Kingdom of Denmark. In other words, in addition to the silliness of the proposition, to make it at all requires a level of ignorance that some might consider inexcusable for a world leader.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 21st August 2019 at 01:25 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:26 PM   #255
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

He's now admitted when questioned that the PM telling him the proposal was "absurd" was offensive.
She didn't even tell him, or any member of his staff. She just answered a reporter's question about it.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:28 PM   #256
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Good God, a horrid thought occurs: you don't suppose he was trying to buy it for himself, personally, like the Belgian Congo? Like he read up on King Leopold and the atrocities and thought "that sounds smart!"
Nah, Greenland isn't good rubber country.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:31 PM   #257
AnonyMoose
Muse

Looks like the Danes dodged a bullet.... the rest of us haven't been so lucky.
Old 21st August 2019, 01:31 PM   #258
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
By the way, when speaking of Greenland and the utterly ridiculous proposal to buy it from Denmark, one ought to remember that it is an autonomous nation, with its own parliament, home rule, flag, and a constitutional right of self-determination, though it remains a part of the Kingdom of Denmark. In other words, in addition to the silliness of the proposition, to make it at all requires a level of ignorance that some might consider inexcusable for a world leader.
LOL give me a break. Do you think Trump knows that? Or literally any of his aides or cabinet members? They looked on Wikipedia and saw that "Greenland belongs to the Kingdom of Denmark" and stopped reading at that point; to them that meant Greenland is Denmark's Guam.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:46 PM   #259
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Looks like the Danes dodged a bullet.... the rest of us haven't been so lucky.
Don't lose hope yet! Trump may decide to try buying Newfoundland next.
Old 21st August 2019, 02:14 PM   #260
Steve
Philosopher

Don't lose hope yet! Trump may decide to try buying Newfoundland next.
Does he like fish?
Old 21st August 2019, 02:18 PM   #261
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Does he like fish?
Good point. He should hold out for Hawaii.
Old 21st August 2019, 02:39 PM   #262
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That happens when you try to defend the indefensible.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st August 2019, 02:41 PM   #263
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Does he like fish?
Let the "And Canada Might Be Ready To Sell" jokes start here...….

The "Goofy Newfies" have a certain reputation in Canada....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st August 2019, 02:48 PM   #264
angrysoba
Philosophile

This man’s a genius! Don’t you see? It is the standard rejection-retreat negotiation tactic.

First, make a ludicrously large offer (buy Greenland), then when it is rejected make a smaller offer and in doing so make a concession that looks like you are doing the other side a favour, and the other side reciprocates by accepting the smaller offer. Mark my words, Copenhagen will sell Denmark by this time next week.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 02:51 PM   #265
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That happens when you try to defend the indefensible.
Nobody is defending anything. I riffed on something SG said. Phiwum missed the connection. You ended up way off base. Do you want to try again?
Old 21st August 2019, 05:30 PM   #266
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What the Stupid Bitch in Chief doesn't understand is that the prime minister of Denmark wasn't talking to the United States; she was talking to the **** investing the Oval Office. America remains unoffended. There may be some Maggascum who are offended but they aren't valuable as human beings.
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:16 AM   #267
Lurch
Muse

I took SG's notion as just a little fun mental picture to roll around in the noggin. Nothing to take up in discussion, as though a serious policy suggestion that demanded hashing out. Boy, the things Trump defenders jump into the fray over...
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:24 AM   #268
Lurch
Muse

I'm a Newfie, and I resemble that remark!

Now we have Jimmy Kimmel as Honorary Mayor of Dildo!
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:31 AM   #269
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I took SG's notion as just a little fun mental picture to roll around in the noggin. Nothing to take up in discussion, as though a serious policy suggestion that demanded hashing out. Boy, the things Trump defenders jump into the fray over...
This has been a strategy of late. Reinterpret satirical expression as serious comment and then make a self righteous comment about how silly all the "lefties" are being.

Last edited by Susheel; 22nd August 2019 at 01:37 AM.
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:34 AM   #270
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
This has been a strategy of late. Reinterpret satirical expression as serious comment and then make a self righteous comment about how silly all the "lefties" aare being.
Don't forget: And pretend not to understand irony or parody and play The Coulter Card... "See? It's the lefties who are the bigots!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:01 AM   #271
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Just because I'm responding to SG's idea in kind, that doesn't mean take it any more seriously than she does, or you do.

Although you wanting to turn this into a partisan slapfight suggests that you're taking it a lot more seriously than I do.
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:59 AM   #272
Border Reiver
Philosopher

As some of our best soldiers.

Or were you referring to something else?
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:21 AM   #273
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Whether Greenlanders could opt to retain their original citizenship, would be compelled to become US citizens, or would be allowed dual citizenship is a good (but hopefully moot) question IMO

Greenlanders are much too brown for Trump's taste. He and the other Republicans will confuse them with Latin American invaders!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:29 AM   #274
dann
Philosopher

Maybe Denmark should consider buying Puerto Rico (DR.dk, Aug. 23, 2019). The Puerto Ricans don't seem to mind: https://twitter.com/gabrielrodz/stat...963731970?s=20

Quote:
Puerto Rican Twitter users coined the term "Caribbean Vikings" and created their own Danish "starter kits" in case Puerto Rico becomes a colony of Denmark.Trump joked about trading Puerto Rico for Greenland. Puerto Ricans are joking back. MSNBC, Aug. 22, 2019)

More salsa dancers! I'm looking forward to it already.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:51 AM   #275
Lothian
should be banned

I have today written to Boris Johnston asking that he publicly declare that the Isle of Mull will not be sold to America.

It cost us £18m in police costs alone last time the orange menace came.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 04:05 AM   #276
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I have today written to Boris Johnston asking that he publicly declare that the Isle of Mull will not be sold to America.

It cost us £18m in police costs alone last time the orange menace came.
What I like about the Isle of Mull is that they named their capital after a Womble.....

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 04:13 AM   #277
dann
Philosopher

Meme with the queen of Denmark holding the Trump baby: "But I want a polar bear!"
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:38 AM   #278
dann
Philosopher

News from Greenland + Conan without Borders

Trump had a "constructive" conversation with Mette F. (sermisiaq.ag, Aug. , 2019)

Conan O'Brian is in Nuuk (sermitsiaq.ag, Aug. 23, 2019)

I look forward to Team Coco's reports from the North Atlantic. It was funny to see Conan learn to dance salsa and rumba in Cuba back in 2015:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I wonder what they'll teach him in Greenland. I don't think they club baby seals anymore, so maybe kayaking or the old Inuit custom of wife-swapping, but I don't know if he's married.

Conan Announces His Trip To Greenland, Aug. 19, 2019 (4:30 min.):
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

What Conan Is Packing For His Trip To Greenland, Aug. 21, 2019 (3:31, min.):
I AGREE

The "Property Brothers" Give Conan Advice About Buying Greenland, Aug. 21, 2019 (min. 4:00):
I AGREE
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:41 AM   #279
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Trump is now officially feeble-minded. He's a buffoon and there's nothing to discuss with him. A "state visit" is just a show of pomp and ceremony. There needs to be no actual reason other than shoring up relations. You go, you eat the bad food, shake the hands, review the nancy-boys in their fancy uniforms, you shake some more hands, you leave.

He just confirmed to the world that he's a bully-boy without a clue. The "Let's Buy Greenland" meme was really an afterthought. The POTUS can visit countries and should visit countries. If his minions hadn't been so anxious to embarrass him by confirming that he actually though he could buy Greenland, the visit could've gone off without a hitch (oh, a big baby balloon and a few thousand protesters, but he gets that everywhere he goes). But having to defend his brilliant thought processes once leaked, he actually ran with "We're gonna go buy us some green land, Jared. Pack up the carpet bags!"
No, no, no. You have it wrong. When you diss Trump, you diss the USA.
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:13 PM   #280
dann
Philosopher

Quote:
"He's treating us like a good he can purchase," she said. "He's not even talking to Greenland - he's talking to Denmark about buying Greenland."
Ebbe Volquardsen, a professor of culture and social history at the University of Greenland, raises the same question: "Trump is talking about buying Greenland, but the first question is, who is he buying it from?
"Then it turned out that he wanted to buy it from Denmark, as if Greenland is the property of Denmark," he told the BBC. "Which of course is not the case."
'This is very scary': Greenlanders on Trump wanting to buy their island (BBC News, Aug. 24, 2019)

The Greenlanders also aren't happy about the Danish-American cooperation in Greenland:

Quote:
"The American presence in Greenland is not to the benefit of Greenlanders," she said. "Even though America said, and Denmark said, that the expansion [of the Thule Air Base in 1953] was just in case there was an attack from Russia... we see it differently. We never asked Americans to come. Denmark allowed them to come and build an air base.
"Then, the Americans and Denmark together only gave the Inughuit people four days to move out of their homes, and told them that if they didn't move out they would demolish their houses - because [they said] it was important that they built the air strip right then, because the Cold War was going on.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics