ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 25th August 2019, 11:35 AM   #761
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
2018 delivered the House to those still loyal to the nation. Don't give up hope yet. Remember, Trump won the electoral college by 88,000 votes in three states. Happily, they skewed older so some of them have died and more will die by November 2020.
Someone please get the Grim Reaper some assistants!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 11:56 AM   #762
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I do not believe that Trump is typically joking when he says outrageous things; his (or his staff's) claiming in retrospect that "it was just a joke" is just a way of backing off from any tweet or utterance that proved too embarrassing or was too widely condemned. Some of Trump's outrageous statements may also be trial balloons, but I think most are simply the uncontrolled demented thoughts of a seriously disturbed individual. Someone with the mental and emotional status of a petulant 2 year old child.

Whatever the reason, the bottom line is this: even if he is joking, this is itself an outrageous and incredibly dangerous thing for the President of the USA to do. I don't mean jokes about the color of a reporter's shirt: Trump's supposed jokes include those that go to the core of the legitimacy of our Constitutional government, support violence against his political opponents, or directly relate to promises and interactions with foreign countries, etc. Not to mention incredibly disgusting personal insults against others. These should not be joking matters for someone representing the top office of the USA.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 11:58 AM   #763
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I do not believe that Trump is typically joking when he says outrageous things; his (or his staff's) claiming in retrospect that "it was just a joke" is just a way of backing off from any tweet or utterance that proved too embarrassing or was too widely condemned. Some of Trump's outrageous statements may also be trial balloons, but I think most are simply the uncontrolled demented thoughts of a seriously disturbed individual. Someone with the mental and emotional status of a petulant 2 year old child.

Whatever the reason, the bottom line is this: even if he is joking, this is itself an outrageous and incredibly dangerous thing for the President of the USA to do. I don't mean jokes about the color of a reporter's shirt: Trump's supposed jokes include those that go to the core of the legitimacy of our Constitutional government, support violence against his political opponents, or directly relate to promises and interactions with foreign countries, etc. Not to mention incredibly disgusting personal insults against others. These should not be joking matters for someone representing the top office of the USA.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that these comments, even if facetious, were okay. I agree with what you say here.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:01 PM   #764
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The question I was asked most today by fellow World Leaders, who think the USA is doing so well and is stronger than ever before, happens to be, “Mr. President, why does the American media hate your Country so much? Why are they rooting for it to fail?”
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:03 PM   #765
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

The White House
@WhiteHouse
"We have excess corn in various parts of our country with our farmers because China did not do what they said they were going to do. And Prime Minister @AbeShinzo, on behalf of Japan, they're going to be buying all of that corn." — President @realDonaldTrump
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:05 PM   #766
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The question I was asked most today by fellow World Leaders, who think the USA is doing so well and is stronger than ever before, happens to be, “Mr. President, why does the American media hate your Country so much? Why are they rooting for it to fail?”
Sure, that happened.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:06 PM   #767
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump has no sense of humor, which in and of itself should be a red flag in an elected official.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:11 PM   #768
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Does anyone actually believe that pile of horse manure?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:11 PM   #769
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I certainly didn't mean to imply that these comments, even if facetious, were okay. I agree with what you say here.
I did not mean to imply otherwise. Sorry if that was not clear.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:12 PM   #770
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump has no sense of humor, which in and of itself should be a red flag in an elected official.
He does have a sense of humor; one that most people grow out of by the time they leave middle school.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 25th August 2019 at 12:18 PM.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:17 PM   #771
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I did not mean to imply otherwise. Sorry if that was not clear.
I didn't take for granted that you had me in mind when you wrote that, but I thought I'd clarify, just to be sure.
Old 25th August 2019, 12:32 PM   #772
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

JUST NOW: President @realDonaldTrump and Prime Minister
@AbeShinzo announced a trade deal.

"This is a tremendous deal for the United States. It's a really tremendous deal for our farmers."

Rasmussen at 50%. @MediaBuzzFNC & @FoxNews are only getting worse! Now @donnabrazile & others on Fox. Not what it used to be!

So @donnabrazile gives Crooked Hillary the Questions, and now she’s on @FoxNews!

I really hope he keeps up this attack on Faux News... if he does, then sooner later, they will turn on him!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 12:43 PM   #773
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Does anyone know what the odds are on Trump doing a second term?
I think it depends largelly on how quickly his mental state deteriorates. I suppose I should hope for a kind of middle ground where he's muddled enough to keep him from being reelected, but not enough to get him chucked out and replaced as POTUS by Mike Pence.
Old 25th August 2019, 12:44 PM   #774
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

In the same way that if my attendance to a seminar at work is mandatory I'm paid to attend, but not in the same way that if I'm minding my own business and someone approaches me to attend a seminar for money.

However, the workers attendance wasn't "mandatory" in that same way. They were offered more money to attend than not to attend. Just like you get offered more money to attend than not to attend when approached on the street to be paid to attend.
Old 25th August 2019, 12:51 PM   #775
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Meanwhile...

The Secretary of Energy, the department tasked with overseeing our nuclear stockpile, is posting pseudo-legal screeds on instagram. Only the best people in the Trump cabinet.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECdyttkWwAAJ82Z.jpg:small
Wait was that posted on Instagram? So, in order to copy that from Instagram after the rule change date they would have to agree to the rules they think they can just later disagree to, in still using the service.
Old 25th August 2019, 01:10 PM   #776
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

This is very much a lie.

Hans
Old 25th August 2019, 01:11 PM   #777
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

ETA: Just saw the clip again. Must admit that "I am the Chosen One" was not delivered like a joke at all.
I took it to be that he was quoting someone that said that about him (or he believed someone did). Nevertheless, body of work seems to point the other way.
Old 25th August 2019, 01:16 PM   #778
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Tweets

My favorite part is where the other world leaders call him Mr. President.
Old 25th August 2019, 01:19 PM   #779
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Trump Tweets

My proposal to the politically correct Automobile Companies would lower the average price of a car to consumers by more than $3000, while at the same time making the cars substantially safer. Engines would run smoother. Very little impact on the environment! Foolish executives!
Tetraethyllead ?
I gotta figure. If he's talking about cars running smoother that it might be putting the lead back in gasoline. Or at least just staying up in the recommended octane rage for the vehicle. Heck, I would be surprised, back in his non public dis-service days, if trump hadn't insisted his drivers use lower octane gas and then complain how crappy the engine runs.
Old 25th August 2019, 01:36 PM   #780
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

Such False and Inaccurate reporting thus far on the G-7. The Fake News knows this but they can’t help themselves! Leaving now to have breakfast with Boris J.

Great working breakfast this morning with Prime Minister @BorisJohnson at the Hôtel du Palais in Biarritz, France! #G7Biarritz
Ohmygodohmygodohmygod, I'm in France! Can you believe it?
Old 25th August 2019, 01:37 PM   #781
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
You mean President...Trump?!

Huh huh huh, I said “trump”! Huh huh huh! Huh huh!

See now that's funny.
Old 25th August 2019, 01:38 PM   #782
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

When I looked up to the sky and jokingly said “I am the chosen one,” at a press conference two days ago, referring to taking on Trade with China, little did I realize that the media would claim that I had a “Messiah complex.” They knew I was kidding, being sarcastic, and just....

....having fun. I was smiling as I looked up and around. The MANY reporters with me were smiling also. They knew the TRUTH...And yet when I saw the reporting, CNN, MSNBC and other Fake News outlets covered it as serious news & me thinking of myself as the Messiah. No more trust!

What trust is he talking about?
Old 25th August 2019, 01:38 PM   #783
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
He's the incumbent, 40% approve of him, the Democrats will have a pathetic nominee, Gerrymandering, and more media manipulation, so pretty good. [insert sad emoji here]
How will gerrymandering help him win the presidential election? Are there serious plans to change the electoral college vote to distribute votes according to congressional districts?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 01:39 PM   #784
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Playing devil's advocate doesn't mean "I know that this isn't happening, but let's pretend it is."
That sounds like a reasonable use of the phrase; not sure why you think otherwise.

Quote:
But we needn't guess what Soba meant. He can tell us whether he mistakenly thought Trump was pursuing universal background checks.
Sure, again sounds reasonable.

ETA: you're making way more of this than it deserves. You think I've used poor reasoning and that's fine. You may have the last word if you wish.

Last edited by The Norseman; 25th August 2019 at 01:41 PM.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 01:47 PM   #785
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

Oh brother! This one goes in the mentally ill thread right up there with Trump's claim doctors came out of their operating room to meet him. I'll retweetpost it over there.
Old 25th August 2019, 01:48 PM   #786
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Does anyone actually believe that pile of horse manure?
Trump.
Old 25th August 2019, 01:50 PM   #787
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
This is very much a lie.

Hans
Ya think?
Old 25th August 2019, 01:50 PM   #788
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trump.
I meant anyone not suffering from NPD.
Old 25th August 2019, 01:55 PM   #789
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Ya think?
Ya, I think. I don't even think they pretended. They were polite, of course. Real leaders are. But they said nothing like that.

Hans
Old 25th August 2019, 02:03 PM   #790
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I suspect that there will be a large amount of books/comments released after Trump is out of office by politicians (both domestic GOP and foreign) revealing their true feelings about him. And they are not going to be complimentary. But it will be interesting to see the Republicans defending why they didn't speak out while Trump was in office...and I doubt "because I was a coward" will be among them.
Old 25th August 2019, 02:05 PM   #791
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
That sounds like a reasonable use of the phrase; not sure why you think otherwise.

Sure, again sounds reasonable.

ETA: you're making way more of this than it deserves. You think I've used poor reasoning and that's fine. You may have the last word if you wish.
FWIW, my comments refer to the possibility he raised and repeated (FWIR) that he was pursuing background checks. I think he even repeated it in the “Chosen One” press meeting along with a number of bizarre statements and policy aspirations he sent forth into the ether.

My point was to assume he was serious, for a second, that he wanted to have background checks and that he was working with Democrats to bring these in (that’s what he said he was doing - yes, I get that he is always emitting BS, but let’s assume, generously, that he is serious about it), and he even said that he knows the NRA are not in favour but he is talking to them anyway to persuade them (again, for what it is worth, that’s what he said) and he says his buddy Wayne could be talked round. My point then is to say, maybe, just maybe, Trump is the best person to do it. He can’t be easily dismissed as some closeted liberal trying to subvert the 2nd amendment, whereas all previous presidents could easily be painted as commies or weak-kneed etc...

My point was that IFF this were true, wouldn’t it be a good thing? Wouldn’t it be worth supporting?

I understand the Norseman’s cynicism but think, as phiwum says, it is not a helpful way to approach it. If the Democrats are trying to get this passed as well and have been writing bills to this effect then wouldn’t it be worth trying to get this bill through rather than just assuming that any eventual law is going to target minorities? If so, then you may as well say that you are not interested in that particular form of gun control. In fact, if you believe that the Republicans won’t pass anything unless they can be convinced that those laws will be a priori discriminatory then there is no point calling for any form of gun control unless you feel the discrimination is a price worth paying.

In phiwum’s case, I thought that the article you posted suggested that universal background checks were not only amongst the most popular but also believed by experts to be among the most effective. You can argue that mass shooting X or mass shooting Y would not be prevented by universal background checks but that seems to be making the perfect the enemy of the good. There may be no magic bullet but there may be piecemeal legislation that brings down the number of mass shootings. It seems going for something that is even one percent effective is better than nothing instead of blanket dismissal.

So once again, we have Trump’s words that he is interested in background checks. Would it not be useful for Democrats to pressure him to follow through and, let’s face it, some of the media who were there when he said these words, instead of just focusing on the Chosen One comments of his “wonderful vagina” comments?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 02:11 PM   #792
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

FWIW, my comments refer to the possibility he raised and repeated (FWIR) that he was pursuing background checks. I think he even repeated it in the “Chosen One” press meeting along with a number of bizarre statements and policy aspirations he sent forth into the ether.

My point was to assume he was serious, for a second, that he wanted to have background checks and that he was working with Democrats to bring these in (that’s what he said he was doing - yes, I get that he is always emitting BS, but let’s assume, generously, that he is serious about it), and he even said that he knows the NRA are not in favour but he is talking to them anyway to persuade them (again, for what it is worth, that’s what he said) and he says his buddy Wayne could be talked round. My point then is to say, maybe, just maybe, Trump is the best person to do it. He can’t be easily dismissed as some closeted liberal trying to subvert the 2nd amendment, whereas all previous presidents could easily be painted as commies or weak-kneed etc...

My point was that IFF this were true, wouldn’t it be a good thing? Wouldn’t it be worth supporting?

I understand the Norseman’s cynicism but think, as phiwum says, it is not a helpful way to approach it. If the Democrats are trying to get this passed as well and have been writing bills to this effect then wouldn’t it be worth trying to get this bill through rather than just assuming that any eventual law is going to target minorities? If so, then you may as well say that you are not interested in that particular form of gun control. In fact, if you believe that the Republicans won’t pass anything unless they can be convinced that those laws will be a priori discriminatory then there is no point calling for any form of gun control unless you feel the discrimination is a price worth paying.

In phiwum’s case, I thought that the article you posted suggested that universal background checks were not only amongst the most popular but also believed by experts to be among the most effective. You can argue that mass shooting X or mass shooting Y would not be prevented by universal background checks but that seems to be making the perfect the enemy of the good. There may be no magic bullet but there may be piecemeal legislation that brings down the number of mass shootings. It seems going for something that is even one percent effective is better than nothing instead of blanket dismissal.

So once again, we have Trump’s words that he is interested in background checks. Would it not be useful for Democrats to pressure him to follow through and, let’s face it, some of the media who were there when he said these words, instead of just focusing on the Chosen One comments of his “wonderful vagina” comments?
Obviously, anything good coming from ... anybody ... is worth taking, no matter who it came from. But .... exactly why should anybody think he is serious about this .... or anything else he says?

Hans
Old 25th August 2019, 02:21 PM   #793
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I suspect that there will be a large amount of books/comments released after Trump is out of office by politicians (both domestic GOP and foreign) revealing their true feelings about him. And they are not going to be complimentary. But it will be interesting to see the Republicans defending why they didn't speak out while Trump was in office...and I doubt "because I was a coward" will be among them.
That is going to piss me off almost more than anything else The PDJT has actually done so far. And I agree, I fully expect that to happen.
Old 25th August 2019, 02:35 PM   #794
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Obviously, anything good coming from ... anybody ... is worth taking, no matter who it came from. But .... exactly why should anybody think he is serious about this .... or anything else he says?

Hans
Just call him on it. “I know you’re a man of your word so I would like to get you to help push through your he background checks you called for yesterday. Let’s call it the Donald J Trump Background Check Act 2019...”

Old 25th August 2019, 02:44 PM   #795
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the problem.

Suppose that background checks make no or almost no difference in the case of mass shootings. Indeed, I think this is very plausible.

Then the attention on mass shootings will be focused on something that won't actually help solve the problem. Once the checks are in place, attention will go elsewhere. You can bet that, if the Republicans cave for this solution, they will not react well when another solution, say an assault weapon ban, is suggested hereafter. They've already compromised their position.

Thus, focusing on checks as a fix for the mass shooting problem will make more effective solutions less likely.

Now, the limit to this argument should be obvious. While I doubt such checks will prevent mass shootings, they may prevent other deaths and hence be a not insignificant positive. However, if our aim is shooting deaths in general, then we're being misled. The checks are being suggested specifically to deal with mass shootings and if they are adopted and do no good in that respect, how will the public react? Will this make it easier or harder to do something that actually addresses the problem?

I'd much rather that, if one wants universal background checks, they support it for gun deaths generally rather than pretend that mass shootings will be less likely.
Old 25th August 2019, 02:46 PM   #796
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Just call him on it. “I know you’re a man of your word so I would like to get you to help push through your he background checks you called for yesterday. Let’s call it the Donald J Trump Background Check Act 2019...”
Man, that would be a great move. That would force Trump to come out and say he's changed his mind. That would hurt.
Old 25th August 2019, 02:51 PM   #797
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
That is going to piss me off almost more than anything else The PDJT has actually done so far. And I agree, I fully expect that to happen.
Oh quite. Suddenly the good Germans and secret resistance fighters and anti-segregationists will come out of hiding. They will prove to have been valiantly fighting from within. It's not their fault the tiny few evil people were so terribly powerful.

If they thought there was a chance of another conservative justice being appointed, I think most Republicans would find a way to spin Trump dancing naked on the desk and pissing on them as just a good humored commentary on Hillary's emails.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 02:56 PM   #798
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
However, the workers attendance wasn't "mandatory" in that same way. They were offered more money to attend than not to attend. Just like you get offered more money to attend than not to attend when approached on the street to be paid to attend.
Not quite. They were offered the same money to attend than if the event had not taken place. They were threatened with making LESS money than if the event never happened.

It was "go to the event and look supportive or have your pay docked".
Old 25th August 2019, 03:21 PM   #799
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Not quite. They were offered the same money to attend than if the event had not taken place. They were threatened with making LESS money than if the event never happened.

It was "go to the event and look supportive or have your pay docked".
With an implicit side order of "the management will disapprove of your not attending"
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 03:28 PM   #800
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I really hope he keeps up this attack on Faux News... if he does, then sooner later, they will turn on him!

Only if they think it will boost their ratings.

Mebbe if too many advertisers bleed off, That would do it too.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics