ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jean Cramer , Michigan incidents , Michigan politics , racism incidents , racism issues

Old 23rd August 2019, 11:53 AM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

Racist politician hopeful uses God to justify racism

Marysville should stick to only having white couples because God said so, duh:

Quote:
“Keep Marysville a white community as much as possible,” said Cramer, one of five candidates vying for three open council seats in November.

“As long as, how can I put this? What Kathy Hayman doesn’t know is that her family is in the wrong,” she said. “(A) husband and wife need to be the same race. Same thing with kids. That’s how it’s been from the beginning of, how can I say, when God created the heaven and the earth. He created Adam and Eve at the same time. But as far as me being against blacks, no I’m not.”
Note Kathy Hayman has mixed relationships throughout her family.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:58 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Marysville should stick to only having white couples because God said so, duh:

Note Kathy Hayman has mixed relationships throughout her family.
Miscegenation. Haven't heard that one in a while.

How does he know that Adam and Eve were the same colour? Assuming they weren't both black, that is.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:03 PM   #3
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

How does she know that Adam and Eve were the same colour? Assuming they weren't both black, that is.
Minor correction.

One of my favorite comedians, Tommy Tiernan, refers to the American version of Jesus as "Beegee Jesus". Which is the most apt description if you ask me. So it wouldn't be a stretch for them to think the same of Adam and Eve

ETA: Sorry, didn't finish it before hitting save and someone walked into my office.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 23rd August 2019 at 12:05 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:03 PM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

How does he know that Adam and Eve were the same colour? Assuming they weren't both black, that is.
Speaking of Adam and Eve, I'd rather be the product of miscegenation than incest.
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:15 PM   #5
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I think Cramer's wig is on too tight and cutting off the flow of blood to her brain.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:17 PM   #6
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Speaking of Adam and Eve, I'd rather be the product of miscegenation than incest.
I don't know if your own rib counts as a member of your family.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:18 PM   #7
plague311
Great minds think...

But to that effect, that would mean every single person post Adam and Eve are products of incest.

Old 23rd August 2019, 12:46 PM   #8
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

But to that effect, that would mean every single person post Adam and Eve are products of incest.
So Steve King is right?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:51 PM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
So Steve King is right?
Only if you believe in Adam and Eve.

Old 23rd August 2019, 12:53 PM   #10
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Only if you believe in Adam and Eve.
Believing won't make it true.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:56 PM   #11
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Believing won't make it true.
Tell that to Tinkerbell

Old 23rd August 2019, 02:52 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

She also said she want to keep Maysville as white as possible, and does not want foreigners in Maysville.
She is a real piece of work.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:12 PM   #13
wasapi
Philosopher

While I am well aware of people like this, I have been so removed from the likes of them, they seem almost surreal, beside archaic.
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:13 PM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
While I am well aware of people like this, I have been so removed from the likes of them, they seem almost surreal, beside archaic.
Where have you been for the past Three Years?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:55 PM   #15
AnonyMoose
Muse

In the Age of Trump™, these people are becoming more publicly open and honest about their true inner feelings and beliefs.

The positive: We now know just how infested our world is with these cockroaches. We now have a better idea of how many cans of Raid we need to invest in.

The negative: The high probability of five more years of this, resulting in a massive unrepairable rip in the space-time continuum.
Old 23rd August 2019, 05:46 PM   #16
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
She also said she want to keep Maysville as white as possible, and does not want foreigners in Maysville.
She is a real piece of work.....
What I find amazing is that she is running for public office. You would think these types of beliefs would be a disqualification. I guess we will find out in November.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:47 PM   #17
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Because Adam was created in God's image (and therefore was white, obviously); and Eve was directly made using a part of Adam's body and therefore couldn't really logically be a different race.

Interestingly, the Bible really doesn't get into the origins of races. It follows the alleged "first family"s line for a bit, and then rather suddenly the world is full of different tribes. The Tower of Babel incident is used to explain different dialects; but there is no analogous myth to explain different skin colors and physical characteristics.

One attempt to inject a race-origin myth into the Bible was born out of American slavery, interestingly enough. Abolitionists condemning slavery by way of a moral argument asserted that as all men are children of Adam, they are all essentially brethren and no man had the right to subjugate another in such a manner. Slaveholding Americans and their supporters originally had no answer to this and were troubled by it, as they took considerable pride in their supposed piety. To solve the problem, southern ministers began teaching their congregations that slavery was an iteration of the "curse of Ham".

As a quick primer: Ham was one of the sons of Noah who survived with him after the flood. The biblical story says that one day Ham entered his father Noah's tent to ask him something and saw that his father was passed out drunk and - most crucially - naked. Seeing a man naked (though, curiously, not passing out drunk and being naked in the first place) was apparently an egregious offense during the time of whoever wrote the Pentateuch; when Ham told his brothers, they grabbed a blanket and went to his tent to cover their father up, and walked into the tent backwards to avoid committing this sin before throwing the blanket onto Noah and...hoping they got him squarely? They certainly weren't about to look back and check. At any rate, when Noah woke up with a hangover and discovered that he was covered with something he hadn't covered himself with, he demanded the truth from his sons and upon learning of Ham's accident, he cursed Ham's son Canaan and Canaan's descendants to forever be servants to the descendants of Noah's other son Shem (i.e., the Israelites). The function of this particular myth, of course, is simply to justify the Israelites' subjugation of the Canaanites.

Southern ministers defending the American institution of slavery suddenly declared that Ham was the first black man, meaning all black people including those enslaved by American whites were his descendants - "Canaanites" - thus creating a biblical justification and southern churches' blessing for slavery's moral goodness. The matter of why Noah, who was presumably white remember, would have a black son - and whatever implications this might have for Mrs. Noah's reputation - was never explored, naturally. Noah's family was supposed to be the only humans on Earth at this point in time and the sudden existence of black skin was probably put down to God-magic.

This racial revisionism did not gain much traction outside the southern US (the vast majority of the rest of the world had already abolished slavery by this time and had no cognitive dissonance on the subject wot needed fixing); however, Christian-identifying white supremacists have latched onto it and have been perpetuating it ever since.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:01 PM   #18
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
What I find amazing is that she is running for public office. You would think these types of beliefs would be a disqualification. I guess we will find out in November.
Hopefully, it will be a disqualification from winning. Anyone can run.

ETA: Dang. It's Marysville, Michigan. I can't say I know anything about it, really. I was there for a robotics competition last year. It's not some tiny dump of a town. It's big enough that their high school has two gyms and a modern building. (You need the two gyms for robotics. One for the competition that has seating, and another for pits.) Rural Michigan has some real dolts in it, and apparently, she's one of them.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 23rd August 2019 at 08:08 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:11 PM   #19
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The Tower of Babel incident is used to explain different dialects; but there is no analogous myth to explain different skin colors and physical characteristics.

My guess is the authors weren't aware of different races. I suspect they knew middle easterners, and that was pretty much it.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:08 PM   #20
dann
Philosopher

That would be cloning, wouldn't it?! Which is weird, now that I come to thing of it, since it ought to result in an identical twin - apart from the age gap - and yet they are different sexes!
So Adam and Steve actually must have been God's intention, but something went wrong (or right?) somewhere ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:17 PM   #21
dann
Philosopher

One of my favorite comedians, Tommy Tiernan, refers to the American version of Jesus as "Beegee Jesus".

You mean like this?!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

That's weird. I only heard of Barry, Robin, and Maurice.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:21 PM   #22
Stacyhs
Philosopher

The whole 'curse of Ham' bit that Checkmite posted about is the same crap that the Mormons put out about black people and why they refused them the priesthood. They finally rejected their own teaching in 1978 when, lo and (fortuitously) behold, their president, Kimball, had a 'revelation' that this was not true. Of course, this had absolutely nothing to do with them possibly losing their government tax exemption. Nah....
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:34 PM   #23
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think Cramer's wig is on too tight and cutting off the flow of blood to her brain.http://www.internationalskeptics.com...03b409d032.jpg

Somethin' ain't right with those Cramers ....
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 26th August 2019, 02:15 PM   #24
plague311
Great minds think...

In an extremely unsurprising turn of events this candidate has decided to withdraw:

Quote:
Marysville Mayor Dan Damman said Jean Cramer submitted a letter withdrawing Monday — three days after he called for her to do so. City Manager Randy Fernandez said Cramer had first come into city hall to verbally withdraw but was asked to put it in writing.
Turns out she just wasn't cutout for that line of work.

Old 26th August 2019, 02:40 PM   #25
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

In an extremely unsurprising turn of events this candidate has decided to withdraw:

Turns out she just wasn't cutout for that line of work.
She's just in the wrong state. She only needs to move south, and her bonkers racist ideas will no doubt be treated with utmost respect.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 05:20 PM   #26
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
She's just in the wrong state. She only needs to move south, and her bonkers racist ideas will no doubt be treated with utmost respect.
She would be absorbed straight into the current White House administration.

ETA: Doesn't she look like this lady?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 26th August 2019 at 05:22 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 05:54 PM   #27
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
She would be absorbed straight into the current White House administration.

ETA: Doesn't she look like this lady?
How DARE you insult Estelle Getty!
Old 27th August 2019, 11:10 AM   #28
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
My guess is the authors weren't aware of different races. I suspect they knew middle easterners, and that was pretty much it.
Race in the ancient world was not viewed like it is in the modern world. I mean how often does skin tone come up in roman era documents? It is really hard to say clearly as ethnicity, culture and nation seem to often be very strongly tied together then and so were comments racial or national based?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 03:36 PM   #29
Doubt
Philosopher

Hopefully, it will be a disqualification from winning. Anyone can run.

ETA: Dang. It's Marysville, Michigan. I can't say I know anything about it, really. I was there for a robotics competition last year. It's not some tiny dump of a town. It's big enough that their high school has two gyms and a modern building. (You need the two gyms for robotics. One for the competition that has seating, and another for pits.) Rural Michigan has some real dolts in it, and apparently, she's one of them.
Well, you were there more recently than me. Been about 14 years.

It is not exactly a big town either. Steady middle class and very white to the point where I have to wonder why she found it necessary to say anything at all about race.
Old 28th August 2019, 08:06 PM   #30
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post

It is not exactly a big town either. Steady middle class and very white to the point where I have to wonder why she found it necessary to say anything at all about race.
I looked it up. Population about 10,000, so pretty small. They have a pretty nice high school for such a small town.

It's nice to see that even in small town Michigan, you can't even get a seat on a city council if you say things that stupid.

It's also nice to see that saying things that stupid is so rare in America that it's national news when someone says them while running for city council in a city with 10,000 people.
Old 29th August 2019, 07:33 PM   #31
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post

She found it necessary because she's a racist.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 07:38 PM   #32
Doubt
Philosopher

I looked it up. Population about 10,000, so pretty small. They have a pretty nice high school for such a small town.

It's nice to see that even in small town Michigan, you can't even get a seat on a city council if you say things that stupid.

It's also nice to see that saying things that stupid is so rare in America that it's national news when someone says them while running for city council in a city with 10,000 people.
There were 5 people running for three seats. With her withdrawing there is still plenty of room for one or more of the others to be bad and still end up on the council.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics