ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , motorcycle racing , South Dakota incidents , sports incidents , Sturgis Rally

Old 10th August 2020, 10:43 AM   #1
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Worlds Largest Virus Party?

So is the Sturgis Rally the worlds largest covid party?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/3321223001/
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 10:46 AM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I hope nobody here makes a living selling used motorcycles, there may be a significant oversupply coming up.
Old 10th August 2020, 10:53 AM   #3
catsmate
No longer the 1

What we need are crop spraying drones loaded with Adamsite.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 10:56 AM   #4
nelsondogg
Critical Thinker

Thousands of fat maskless boomers stuffing themselves into bars every night... What could go wrong.
nelsondogg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 11:02 AM   #5
nelsondogg
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I hope nobody here makes a living selling used motorcycles, there may be a significant oversupply coming up.
I think this could be the final nail in the coffin for Harley Davidson. They were doing poorly recently anyway, and now there's going to be a glut of tricked out used bikes about to hit the market combined with the deaths of some of their most loyal customers.
nelsondogg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 11:52 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
So is the Sturgis Rally the worlds largest covid party?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/3321223001/
Peaceful protest.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 11:55 AM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
This might be a good validation of the current conventional wisdom on Covid containment. I wonder how hard it would be, in ten years or so, to do research on the used-Harley market post Sturgis 2020. Whatever the outcome, I bet it would provide useful data to epidemiologists and policy planners.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 11:56 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by nelsondogg View Post
I think this could be the final nail in the coffin for Harley Davidson. They were doing poorly recently anyway, and now there's going to be a glut of tricked out used bikes about to hit the market combined with the deaths of some of their most loyal customers.
At least this has the merit of being a testable prediction. And it's a fairly easy one to test: All we have to do is wait. For how long, do you think? Do we wait one year? Two? Five? Ten?
Old 10th August 2020, 12:27 PM   #9
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
At least this has the merit of being a testable prediction. And it's a fairly easy one to test: All we have to do is wait. For how long, do you think? Do we wait one year? Two? Five? Ten?
I should think one month would provide substantial data. Two weeks to show symptoms, two weeks to die from it.

Thousands of fat maskless boomers stuffing themselves into bars every night... What could go wrong.
I'm not much for stereotyping, but the live feeds from the gathering shows that many (many, many) of those attendees have at least one of the high-risk factors -- namely obesity.

It did make me wonder -- why are so many bikers so damn fat?
Old 10th August 2020, 12:27 PM   #10
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I should think one month would provide substantial data. Two weeks to show symptoms, two weeks to die from it.

I'm not much for stereotyping, but the live feeds from the gathering shows that many (many, many) of those attendees have at least one of the high-risk factors -- namely obesity.

It did make me wonder -- why are so many bikers so damn fat?
Beer. And lots of it.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:31 PM   #11
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Should we start a pool at the number of deaths that will be directly tied to infection at Sturgis?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 12:33 PM   #12
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I worked Sturgis as a teen in 2008*.

It's a week long bender of a mostly older crowd. Lots of retirees showing off their expensive toys. Space is limited, being a small town in S. Dakota, so many end up camping in tight quarters, either in tents or RVs. All the events are super crowded, either concerts, or street attractions, or other gimmicks.

It's gonna be a super spreader event. I feel bad for the locals, even more so than usual. People come from far and wide for the rally, and many will be bringing covid with them or taking it back home.

*I always remember the year because they set us laborers to picking up chuckable stones in the concert area. McCain's Straight Talk Express was coming by for a campaign speech and they didn't want the Senator to get pelted with any stones by drunk bikers.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 10th August 2020 at 12:39 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 12:40 PM   #13
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's gonna be a super spreader event. I feel bad for the locals, even more so than usual.
That seems to be applied to things several orders of magnitude smaller than this will be. I mean they call a party that only gets 30 people infected a super spreader event. When this gets 30,000 people infected doesn't it deserve some more impactful name?
Old 10th August 2020, 12:43 PM   #14
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

A quarter million of these nitwits. Just stunning, as a niche group of imbeciles. Hopefully they don't get out much away from their circle of science-uncomprehending biker friends.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:45 PM   #15
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

When I lived in Rapid City, we knew several families that would fund their annual vacations by renting out their houses, or even just their yards, to rally attendees.

Not sure which is worse, trying to bunker down in your house during the event, or trying to travel elsewhere during Covid.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:57 PM   #16
chrispy
Muse

When I lived in Rapid City, we knew several families that would fund their annual vacations by renting out their houses, or even just their yards, to rally attendees.

Not sure which is worse, trying to bunker down in your house during the event, or trying to travel elsewhere during Covid.
I heard that the mayor of Sturgis is making sure that residents can have all essentials delivered to their houses if they want to bunker down as much as possible. At least there is that.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:59 PM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
I heard that the mayor of Sturgis is making sure that residents can have all essentials delivered to their houses if they want to bunker down as much as possible. At least there is that.
That's something, but the virus lingers in the people that remain behind. Bars and hotels and all the other business necessary to support such a large endeavor require legions of people to operate, and many of the workers are local to Sturgis or, like a younger me, brought in from neighboring communities.

I mean, there's nothing really there to support all these people, it has to be brought in. The place I worked was a cow pasture for the rest of the year. We cut down the grass, marked out RV spots with spray paint, and set up masses of stages and food stands and all the other things necessary for human life. It's a manpower heavy endeavor, and even then, the people live in filthy conditions for the duration.

I fully expect that Sturgis will be a stand-out hotpot for Covid in the region after the rally. I would love to be wrong about this.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 10th August 2020 at 01:04 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 01:20 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
... You're right. I was thinking about how long it would take for their estates to get wound up and their used motorcycles to hit the market in large enough numbers to be statistically significant.

But actually we'd know the truth much faster just from contact tracing. One month it is!
Old 10th August 2020, 01:26 PM   #19
Belz...
Fiend God

This is the kind of problem that'll solve itself, I guess.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 01:27 PM   #20
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Bear Country USA should work out a deal for all the corpses. Cheap bear fodder.

Can bears get covid?
Old 10th August 2020, 01:45 PM   #21
nelsondogg
Critical Thinker

I'd give them a year... If Trump gets reelected he might bail them out, if not they're screwed. They were in trouble before covid as young people weren't buying their bikes.
Old 10th August 2020, 01:48 PM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's a manpower heavy endeavor, and even then, the people live in filthy conditions for the duration.

I fully expect that Sturgis will be a stand-out hotpot for Covid in the region after the rally. I would love to be wrong about this.
Sounds like it will be, for sure.

I guess by the same reasoning, we should expect Sturgis to be a hot spot for communicable diseases of all kinds, every year. Influenza, for example. I wonder if the CDC has data on hot spots for various contagion that could give us some idea of how this would play out.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if there's similar data, showing similar rates of transmission for similar diseases, from events like spring break in Florida and popular conventions like ComicCon. I know that spring break has already been implicated in the recent Covid hot spot in Florida. It'll be interesting, if depressing, to see if a similar dynamic plays out in Sturgis.
Old 10th August 2020, 01:50 PM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'd give them a year... If Trump gets reelected he might bail them out, if not they're screwed. They were in trouble before covid as young people weren't buying their bikes.
I was thinking in terms of evidence of mass deaths, from data showing used Harleys flooding the market. Totally uninterested in the ultimate fate of Harley as a company.
Old 10th August 2020, 01:53 PM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I guess it depends if you think the local labor contracted to support the event are part of the problem.
Old 10th August 2020, 02:07 PM   #25
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I guess it depends if you think the local labor contracted to support the event are part of the problem.
It does get harder to host an annual event if your event staff tends to die after the event. Don't ask how I know this.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 02:09 PM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
It does get harder to host an annual event if your event staff tends to die after the event. Don't ask how I know this.
I assume it's because you chair the Annual Feeding Event Planning Committee for the North American Association of Active Vampires. The En-Double-A-A-V.
Old 10th August 2020, 02:10 PM   #27
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
That seems to be applied to things several orders of magnitude smaller than this will be. I mean they call a party that only gets 30 people infected a super spreader event. When this gets 30,000 people infected doesn't it deserve some more impactful name?
Hyper spreader.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 02:14 PM   #28
carlitos
"más divertido"

I was out along I-90 / 94 this week and saw several groups of bikers stopping for food etc. Most of them were wearing masks or face coverings inside around town, even in South Dakota where there isn't a mandate. I did note that most of them were older and maybe not super healthy-looking.

^^ This is an anecdote only.

Fun Fact - the rally is actually called the Buffalo Chip, but everyone just says Sturgis.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 02:15 PM   #29
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I assume it's because you chair the Annual Feeding Event Planning Committee for the North American Association of Active Vampires. The En-Double-A-A-V.
I can neither confirm nor deny any association, past or present, with the En-Double-A-A-V.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 02:23 PM   #30
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I was out along I-90 / 94 this week and saw several groups of bikers stopping for food etc. Most of them were wearing masks or face coverings inside around town, even in South Dakota where there isn't a mandate. I did note that most of them were older and maybe not super healthy-looking.

^^ This is an anecdote only.

Fun Fact - the rally is actually called the Buffalo Chip, but everyone just says Sturgis.
I was in SD a few weeks ago - Keystone, Deadwood, and points in between. In Keystone and Deadwood, very, very few other people wore masks. We only saw one other family in Keystone wearing them. Deadwood was better, but not by much.

I am seeing photos from Sturgis, from friends I know who are there. Not a mask in sight.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 03:07 PM   #31
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

https://rallysturgis.com/webcams
Here's a live feed from Main Street. Very few masks that I can see.
(I still think this is quite amazing -- being able to just call up an HD feed of somewhere in the world I wanted to view live.)
Old 10th August 2020, 03:31 PM   #32
chrispy
Muse

That's something, but the virus lingers in the people that remain behind. Bars and hotels and all the other business necessary to support such a large endeavor require legions of people to operate, and many of the workers are local to Sturgis or, like a younger me, brought in from neighboring communities.

I mean, there's nothing really there to support all these people, it has to be brought in. The place I worked was a cow pasture for the rest of the year. We cut down the grass, marked out RV spots with spray paint, and set up masses of stages and food stands and all the other things necessary for human life. It's a manpower heavy endeavor, and even then, the people live in filthy conditions for the duration.

For sure. I agree completely. I meant "at least" in the truest sense, as in it's the least they can do!. Sturgis could be properly ****** for a long time, and these morons will be taking back whatever they get to all 50 states. SAD!
Old 10th August 2020, 03:50 PM   #33
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post

That might be a recent thing. When I worked there, the Chip was just a private campground where most of the major events took place, such as concerts. Wikipedia claims they recently incorporated as their own town, likely to avoid ordinances and/or taxes from the city of Sturgis.

Plenty of events take place outside of the Chip though. Downtown sturgis is pretty much slammed the whole time with bikers.
Old 10th August 2020, 06:09 PM   #34
gypsyjackson
Muse

I thought Harley-Davidson was on Trump’s ****-list. Didn’t he want people to boycott them? And then his tariffs ruined the profit margin.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 10:50 AM   #35
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
A quarter million of these nitwits. Just stunning, as a niche group of imbeciles. Hopefully they don't get out much away from their circle of science-uncomprehending biker friends.
That was the Cheltenham festival in March.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 10:51 AM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God

Collateral damage. In the end the damaging side will be hurt more.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 11:52 AM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My view of collateral damage is that it's justified only when two conditions* are met:

First, the destruction of the target has a clear military value.

Second, that the amount of collateral damage is proportional to the expected military value of destroying the target.

Obviously this is a social situation, not a military one, so feel free to substitute "social value" for military value. Without resorting to bigotry, can you present a theory of social value arising from the thousands of deaths that you believe will solve whatever the problem is?
Old 11th August 2020, 12:36 PM   #38
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Bah everyone dies, not everyone has truly partied. Party and DIE!
Old 11th August 2020, 02:46 PM   #39
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

From what I understand, the mayor decided to go ahead because most of the people were coming anyway. It was a choice of have a plan and 150,000 people or don't have a plan and have 150,000 people anyway.
Old 12th August 2020, 05:13 AM   #40
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Another thing worth pointing out is that local sightseeing is a big part of the rally. Often bikers will go on long rides during the day to place like Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, or other popular tourist spots, and return to Sturgis in the evening for the partying.

Everything within a couple hours drive is probably getting a nice dose of outside biological profile. A mitigating factor is that many of these attractions are outdoors. It's probably possible to go to places like Mt. Rushmore and still socially distance, but I doubt many of these bikers really care to try.

Apparently they won't be going to bear country USA though. Normally bikers and other people in unsafe vehicles would ride in a "courtesy shuttle" for the drive through zoo, but those are discontinued due to covid.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th August 2020 at 05:22 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events