ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th December 2019, 09:23 AM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

14-year-old Florida boy beaten for supporting Trump

Maybe it was for some other reason.

Shocking moment school bus bullies pummel 14-year-old boy leaving him hospitalized with head injuries 'because he'd worn a Trump 2020 hat'

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Shocking video has emerged showing a 14-year-old boy being attacked on a school bus, allegedly because he'd previously worn a hat supporting President Donald Trump.

The incident occurred on November 21 in Hamilton County, Florida, and the video first emerged on Thursday after the boy's family retained attorney Foye B. Walker for possible legal action.

The incident left the boy, identified only as Tyler, hospitalized with head contusions, according to his mother, a Trump supporter who tweets under the handle @AmericanDiaries.

The attorney, Walker, verified in a tweet that the incident occurred on a school bus in Hamilton County, and that he was representing the family...

The boy's mother explained on Twitter that she believed the attackers were motivated by a Trump 2020 campaign hat that her son had previously worn to school.

She said that the boy stopped wearing the hat due to harassment, but that the bullying continued...

Video of the attack shows at least three females and two males raining blows down on Tyler's head as he tries to protect himself from the attack.

Tyler's mother says she believes the assault was racially motivated. Tyler is white, and the assailants appear to be black...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Trump-hat.html
Old 13th December 2019, 09:32 AM   #2
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

14-year-old Florida boy beaten for supporting Trump ... says mom.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 09:35 AM   #3
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Maybe it was for some other reason.

Shocking moment school bus bullies pummel 14-year-old boy leaving him hospitalized with head injuries 'because he'd worn a Trump 2020 hat'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Trump-hat.html
One on the video is as white as he is.

Daily Mail mind you so....
Old 13th December 2019, 09:35 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
14-year-old Florida boy beaten for supporting Trump ... says mom.
14 year old Florida boy beaten for supporting Trump ... says Trump activist and campaigner.
Old 13th December 2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

By the way the violence is inexcusable no matter what "reason" is given.
Old 13th December 2019, 09:46 AM   #6
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I am confused as to why she has a lawyer advising her.

Also I see on her feed that people have said prayers for him ( granted didn't see "in our thoughts) so doesn't that sort out the violence problem, or would it only sort it.out if they'd used guns to shoot him?
Old 13th December 2019, 09:49 AM   #7
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

If it were 100% true and rolled out as simply as we're lead to believe, then plenty on here, according the rhetoric I've read, would completely endorse this beating.
Old 13th December 2019, 09:51 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
If it were 100% true and rolled out as simply as we're lead to believe, then plenty on here, according the rhetoric I've read, would completely endorse this beating.
Can you link to this rhetoric you've read here? I'm curious to see the actual posts you believe indicate endorsement of violence against children.
Old 13th December 2019, 09:52 AM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I see this every time one of these threads are posted and yet I never see people condoning violence in any way, shape or form.

As Tragic said, provide evidence or drop the violin.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 10:13 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I see this every time one of these threads are posted and yet I never see people condoning violence in any way, shape or form.

As Tragic said, provide evidence or drop the violin.
The forum rules prohibit members from advocating illegal acts. Nevertheless, I have formed an opinion, based on their body of work, that there are some members here who absolutely do favor anti-Trump violence. Ironically, the forum rules also prohibit me from naming names. It's probably best if we drop it here. Y'all know who you are.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 10:20 AM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Several good beatings might prevent him from voting Republican when he reaches that age. But as I said in the OP, we don't know why the beatings have been happening.
Old 13th December 2019, 10:26 AM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The forum rules prohibit members from advocating illegal acts. Nevertheless, I have formed an opinion, based on their body of work, that there are some members here who absolutely do favor anti-Trump violence. Ironically, the forum rules also prohibit me from naming names. It's probably best if we drop it here. Y'all know who you are.
The forum rules don't prohibit quoting posts or linking to them, unless said posts have been actioned by moderators. Surely you are basing this opinion of yours upon evidence?
Old 13th December 2019, 10:32 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The forum rules don't prohibit quoting posts or linking to them, unless said posts have been actioned by moderators. Surely you are basing this opinion of yours upon evidence?
I'm not going to assemble body of work citations for the purpose of accusing another member of privately favoring political violence. It's not even on topic for this thread.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 10:39 AM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm not going to assemble body of work citations for the purpose of accusing another member of privately favoring political violence. It's not even on topic for this thread.
I see. You cast baseless assertions about unnamed persons based on their "body of work" but cannot cite a single piece of evidence to justify this opinion you claim to have about them. We're to take it on faith that unnamed persons who disagree with you politically espouse dreadful things. And calling on you to back up this claim is off-topic. In which case isn't your assertion also off-topic?
Old 13th December 2019, 10:41 AM   #15
Mumbles
Philosopher

Eh, it's definitely fake. We don't even have the complete backstory, he probably started it, he was probably in Identity Evropa, with his gang hat.

(Sounds stupid, doesn't it?)

Last edited by Mumbles; 13th December 2019 at 10:44 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 10:46 AM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Eh, it's definitely fake.

(Sounds stupid, doesn't it?)
No. It makes sense that it is fake.
Old 13th December 2019, 10:55 AM   #17
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
One on the video is as white as he is.

Daily Mail mind you so....
The same story is being covered by more than 15 other media agencies. That doesn't mean that it isn't fake.

May or may not be racially motivated and the apparent skin color of one participant doesn't inform us of much.
Old 13th December 2019, 11:09 AM   #18
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
(article adblocked, but referring to the text in the op)
So, he wasn't actually wearing a Trump 2020 hat, then.

Daily Mail.
Old 13th December 2019, 11:30 AM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Also I see on her feed that people have said prayers for him ( granted didn't see "in our thoughts) so doesn't that sort out the violence problem, or would it only sort it.out if they'd used guns to shoot him?
From the article:
Quote:
the incident occurred on a school bus

It looks like the larger girl is using a hairbrush. Disgusting kids. One hits the kid so others join in.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th December 2019 at 11:41 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 11:34 AM   #20
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Lawsuit against the school district in 3,2,1.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 11:34 AM   #21
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
(article adblocked, but referring to the text in the op)
So, he wasn't actually wearing a Trump 2020 hat, then.

Daily Mail.
I don't even see his hat in his hand in the video. Maybe Mom's hoping Trump will notice and give them a free trip to his rallies or something. Cynical, I know.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 11:36 AM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The same story is being covered by more than 15 other media agencies. That doesn't mean that it isn't fake.

May or may not be racially motivated and the apparent skin color of one participant doesn't inform us of much.
It does when the mother states his attackers were black.
Old 13th December 2019, 11:37 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It looks like the larger girl is using a hairbrush. Disgusting kids. One hits the kid so others join in.
Not sure what your highlights are meant to be answering?
Old 13th December 2019, 11:40 AM   #24
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Lawsuit against the school district in 3,2,1.
For what? From the video it just looks like a fight on a school bus between kids, what is there to have a lawsuit about?
Old 13th December 2019, 11:40 AM   #25
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Not sure what your highlights are meant to be answering?
Perhaps it's not clear the second quote is from the article. She's getting a lawyer because the school/bus driver have some culpability.

Old 13th December 2019, 11:48 AM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I don't even see his hat in his hand in the video. Maybe Mom's hoping Trump will notice and give them a free trip to his rallies or something. Cynical, I know.
He wasn't wearing it and we only have his mother's claims that the bullying started because he had worn it in the past, once.

Again don't want to condone kids fighting but kids do fight and one wonders if the mother's comments are an accurate reflection of the circumstances. Given she is a fervent Trump supporter that supports things such as the QAnon conspiracy theory I think it may be possible that she may be slightly biased?
Old 13th December 2019, 11:49 AM   #27
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Perhaps it's not clear the second quote is from the article. She's getting a lawyer because the school/bus driver have some culpability.
It's a fight between kids, how is there any culpability for the driver and so on?
Old 13th December 2019, 11:53 AM   #28
crescent
Illuminator

It's a fight between kids, how is there any culpability for the driver and so on?
I think if a fight just broke out, the driver might have little or no culpability.

But if there were a pattern of misbehavior on the bus that led to the fight, then it might be different. If the driver knew of, or should have known of an escalating pattern of conflict on the bus and didn't take any action (addressing the children, or reporting the behavior to school officials who could address such behavior) then the lawyer may have something to chew on.

Or it could just be a confrontational parent being confrontational. Hard to say.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 12:01 PM   #29
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I look forward to a long series of skeptical posts questioning if it happened as described and/or if the motivation was truly anti-Trump. Most likely from the members who provide similar cautions (not jumping to conclusions) in the "... while Black" and police-initiated violence threads.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 12:28 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You're in the UK right?

Old 13th December 2019, 12:30 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I think if a fight just broke out, the driver might have little or no culpability.

But if there were a pattern of misbehavior on the bus that led to the fight, then it might be different. If the driver knew of, or should have known of an escalating pattern of conflict on the bus and didn't take any action (addressing the children, or reporting the behavior to school officials who could address such behavior) then the lawyer may have something to chew on.

Or it could just be a confrontational parent being confrontational. Hard to say.
Not only that, where was the driver? It went on for quite a while. The driver has to have control of the kids on their bus. Those kids need to be banned from riding the bus.

Old 13th December 2019, 12:32 PM   #32
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I look forward to a long series of skeptical posts questioning if it happened as described and/or if the motivation was truly anti-Trump. Most likely from the members who provide similar cautions (not jumping to conclusions) in the "... while Black" and police-initiated violence threads.
You know there's a video, right?

Old 13th December 2019, 12:32 PM   #33
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by New York Post
...In a statement, school officials said the student’s Trump hat had nothing to do with the assault.

“The incident began with a verbal altercation between two students that escalated when additional students became involved,” the statement said.

The fight was an isolated matter totally unrelated to political statements or agendas, superintendent Rex Mitchell said.

“We absolutely do not condone the use of physical force between students,” Mitchell said. “This was an unfortunate incident that we take very seriously as the safety and welfare of the students is always our top priority.”

Five juveniles have been charged with first-degree misdemeanor battery in the incident, the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office announced Friday, while citing “some misinformation” that was shared along with the video.

The attack also did not meet criteria for a hate crime, sheriff’s officials said...
https://nypost.com/2019/12/13/florid...trump-2020-hat
Old 13th December 2019, 12:40 PM   #34
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

How old are the kids?
Old 13th December 2019, 12:44 PM   #35
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You mean questioning a narrative? Asking if this Trump activist mom's explanation is credible? Why wouI'd we not expect this?

It looks like the kid got royally worked over. Don't see what a hat has to do with anything. The mother could be heartlessly using this beating to pump her political position, or the kid could be a punk that picked a fight himself, or the narrative could be standalone accurate. Evidence as-is, not enough to make a call, but certainly not enough to buy into her version.

As you say, a skeptical view here is similar to an LWB story. Not enough evidence to support the narrative.
Old 13th December 2019, 01:01 PM   #36
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

By the way the violence is inexcusable no matter what "reason" is given.
You wouldn't think so given some posts on this thread.

It is quite a funny thread to read
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 01:06 PM   #37
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

You know there's a video, right?
As has been true of almost all the ...”while Black” and police encounter videos. Speculation as to what happened before the start or out of the video frame is the usual basis of how the initial narrative has been questioned, or questioning if an individual is actually thinking what their actions suggest.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 01:08 PM   #38
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
You mean questioning a narrative? Asking if this Trump activist mom's explanation is credible? Why wouI'd we not expect this?

It looks like the kid got royally worked over. Don't see what a hat has to do with anything. The mother could be heartlessly using this beating to pump her political position, or the kid could be a punk that picked a fight himself, or the narrative could be standalone accurate. Evidence as-is, not enough to make a call, but certainly not enough to buy into her version.

As you say, a skeptical view here is similar to an LWB story. Not enough evidence to support the narrative.
Exactly.
Old 13th December 2019, 01:16 PM   #39
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly.
Still not following you. This story should be met with a healthy dose of skepticism. The reported action is not indicative of the accompanying narrative. Why wouldn't it be questioned?

Last edited by Thermal; 13th December 2019 at 01:17 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 02:09 PM   #40
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You wouldn't think so given some posts on this thread.

It is quite a funny thread to read
You are making that up.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events