ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th December 2019, 07:26 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Sexist ad ?

Long story short there is a bit of a kerfuffle over a new stripper club type ad appearing on buses.

Ad (Safe as for work. Just words)

To be fair, personally find it a bit sexist, but not majorly given the way blokes seem to be portrayed as idiots these days

The odd thing is the people that created it are women. So does this make it self sexism?

It is trying to encourage young women to get involved in the trades.

It obviously worked or it wouldn't make the national media.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12297128

Quote:
Provocative ads placed on buses to draw women's attention to work in construction

A provocative advertisement Otago Polytechnic has put on buses to draw women's attention to a career in construction.

An advertisement using strip club imagery to draw more women into construction careers is tone deaf and could have been done a lot better, a gender academic says.

The advertising campaign has been seen on the back of buses around Dunedin with the words ''Girls Girls Girls'' in bright pink neon light with the words ''hiring now'' next to it.

It includes pictures of building equipment in the background and at the bottom it says ''think construction'' with the address for an Otago Polytechnic webpage explaining the advertisement.

''If you're reading this, you must have seen one of our ads,'' the webpage reads.

''These ads are a bit cheeky, but they've got to be — challenging society's ingrained gender norms isn't easy!.....

I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 29th December 2019 at 07:34 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 07:29 PM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I would think the risk would be that a female audience would dismiss the ad before even reading the full thing and finding out what it's about.
Old 29th December 2019, 07:32 PM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I would think the risk would be that a female audience would dismiss the ad before even reading the full thing and finding out what it's about.
That is kind of the way I was thinking.

Suppose it is a juggling act between more exposure and negative image
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 07:42 PM   #4
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. I would not have read the fine print, having had an initial reflex based on years of seeing that type of advertising and associate it negatively.
Old 29th December 2019, 07:45 PM   #5
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't call it sexist. Sexism is reducing a person to a stereotype based on their gender, like telling a girl she should play with dolls because she's a girl, or that she shouldn't be a tradey because that's a man's job. In this case there is no assumption that all women are strippers, (or indeed that all strippers are women) so the association isn't actually sexist.

I would say that the ads are definitely provocative, and I guess if the objective is to get people talking about them and in the end spreading the message, then they certainly would have to be considered effective.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 07:48 PM   #6
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

If I saw that, I'd think there was a stripper club opening called "Think Construction" that was like a theme club with girls in helmets and such.
Old 29th December 2019, 07:58 PM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
If I saw that, I'd think there was a stripper club opening called "Think Construction" that was like a theme club with girls in helmets and such.
Exactly my thoughts,but first I had to wade through the fonts. Then I thought the ad agency for the stripper club was named Think Construction.

It must be a PSA done gratis to bolster the ad agency's reputation? They don't care if it gets women to become brick layers.
Old 29th December 2019, 08:07 PM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I should point out Otago has never been the most subtle country region in the universe.

And that is coming from someone whose half of their family comes from there.

Kind of old school farmy, so they probably deserve a bit of slack cutting, on the old is it a bit crass? meter

Old 29th December 2019, 08:09 PM   #9
angrysoba
Philosophile

Harmless, fairly amusing?

Is it effective? Not for me to say unless I could see some actual data as I am not the target audience.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 08:10 PM   #10
angrysoba
Philosophile

If anyone gets upset with the ad or with that ad for the exercise bike, or the Gillette ad, you need to get a life.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 09:39 PM   #11
Meed
boy named crow

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
The odd thing is the people that created it are women. So does this make it self sexism?
Not to say this ad in particular is sexist, but generally speaking there's nothing odd about women being sexist toward women.
Meed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 10:00 PM   #12
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
If anyone gets upset with the ad or with that ad for the exercise bike, or the Gillette ad, you need to get a life.

I wouldn't go that far. Ads are a huge part of the media we consume. As such, they're a huge part of culture. Talking about any particular ad is the same as engaging in conversation about what we want our culture to be. That seems like a good thing to talk about just in general.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 10:24 PM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Ads are a huge part of the media we consume. As such, they're a huge part of culture. Talking about any particular ad is the same as engaging in conversation about what we want our culture to be. That seems like a good thing to talk about just in general.
I have always just found ads an irritant.

You get the odd good one that is worth watching once and then it is tedious, like the little Darth Vader one

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

But apart from that they are just annoying..

Don't think I have clicked on a web link ad in my life, and they still ask me if I want them personalised.

But realise without them no one could pay for half the free content.

Like a curse you just have to live with

Old 29th December 2019, 11:27 PM   #14
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

It seems a little bit off the mark to me.

Not likely to appeal to the kind of woman who might be interested in construction.

A bit insulting to the intended target of the ad.
Old 29th December 2019, 11:43 PM   #15
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I’d have thought so, too. However, they may have been banking on coverage in the media to get that message across.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 12:16 AM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

IMO, I don't think it's sexist at all. I think women get the parody.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 12:42 AM   #17
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
IMO, I don't think it's sexist at all. I think women get the parody.
Apart from the Gender studies Professor, What ever they do in day to day life paid for in a large part by the tax payer.

It has always seemed a bit of a pointless field of expertise to me

Old 30th December 2019, 02:52 AM   #18
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

That would be one of the best examples of "nothing to see here folks" I have seen in a long time.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 03:12 AM   #19
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

Not likely to appeal to the kind of woman who might be interested in construction.

I dunno. My experience of women in construction and similar industries is that they very much fit into lad culture. In other words, exactly the kind of person who wouldn't take offence at this kind of thing but instead find it funny.
Old 30th December 2019, 07:09 AM   #20
plague311
Great minds think...

My first few thoughts are that it takes too long to parse the advertisement for it to be really effective. I had the same struggles as the others have posted. I thought it was for a strip club, then an ad for the advertising company, then finally I put it all together. So it seems extremely clunky.

It's being talked about which means it's working. Though to me it seems like it would garner the attention of men looking for a new strip club or strippers looking for a new strip club, then it would trickle down.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 10:32 AM   #21
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

In my experience the girls interested in construction would be interested in other girls. That may be the market sector they are looking for.

If they want to reach the larger share:

GIRLS- Looking for BOYS BOYS BOYS ?
Get a job in a target rich environment-
CONSTRUCTION!
Old 30th December 2019, 10:44 AM   #22
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
In my experience the girls interested in construction would be interested in other girls. That may be the market sector they are looking for.

CONSTRUCTION!
An ad reading BOYS BOYS BOYS and mentioning construction would likely be mistaken for a strip club featuring construction-worker-themed male strippers.
Old 30th December 2019, 10:51 AM   #23
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I dunno. My experience of women in construction and similar industries is that they very much fit into lad culture. In other words, exactly the kind of person who wouldn't take offence at this kind of thing but instead find it funny.
Maybe, but if they're looking to expand the part of the female population working in the trades, I'm imagining that the perception that you have to fit into lad culture (and to whatever extent, the reality) is one of the barriers.

"I like working with my hands, I'm good at figuring out technical problems, but I'm not excited about being sexually harassed all day" has likely crossed a few women's minds. I'm not sure this ad would particularly sooth their concerns.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 02:40 PM   #24
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
Same here, although that may have been due to priming by the original post.

I don't think I've ever followed a link, or QR code, from an advert, in my life, so couldn't not be further from the target audience I guess.
Old 30th December 2019, 11:13 PM   #25
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
My first few thoughts are that it takes too long to parse the advertisement for it to be really effective. I had the same struggles as the others have posted. I thought it was for a strip club, then an ad for the advertising company, then finally I put it all together. So it seems extremely clunky.

It's being talked about which means it's working. Though to me it seems like it would garner the attention of men looking for a new strip club or strippers looking for a new strip club, then it would trickle down.
Well to be fair, it is postulated that you need to see an ad between three and seventeen times before it it really becomes effective. The difference in the number is I think really a matter of categorizing what a view actually is, and whether views subsequent to the third are of the third type and so all count as one.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 11:23 PM   #26
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

CONSTRUCTION!
Oh puhleese! You can't be serious.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 11:25 PM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

An ad reading BOYS BOYS BOYS and mentioning construction would likely be mistaken for a strip club featuring construction-worker-themed male strippers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events