ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , lawsuits , Sandy Hook , shooting conspiracies

Old 17th October 2019, 11:09 PM   #481
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Way Past Time. I think the crap Fetzer pushed when he was one of the more notorious 9/11 Truthers should have cost him his job as a History Professor.
Fetzer was one of the orignators and fanatic advocates of the No Plane theory;ie that no planes hit the WTC,they were faked holographs. He was also a Moon Hoax believer.
I guess Fetzer when a conspiracy theory too far with this Sandy Hook crap.
And I suspect this judgement is making Alex Jones sweat a lot....
How would the institution justify his post as a history professor? I thought one had to critically evaluate the sources for that academic endeavor and it seems that he'd be utterly unsuited for any historical period.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 01:18 AM   #482
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
How would the institution justify his post as a history professor? I thought one had to critically evaluate the sources for that academic endeavor and it seems that he'd be utterly unsuited for any historical period.
Presumably he was hired before the university became aware of his proclivities. Once they emerged, his initial activities were ones that danced on the edge of nebulous and untested free speech issues that the university probably didn't want to contend with.

The Sandy Hook CT directly attacks the grieving parents of murdered first-grade children by name, and courts are recognizing that these kinds of claims are different from the mostly impersonal "NASA/the military/Illuminati/Bush did its of the past, insofar as these newer personalized CTs actually cause serious damage to the lives of their particularly sympathetic victims.

I don't think Sandy Hook parents were the first class of victims who could've had an actionable case against Alex Jones and his ilk. But they do seem to be the first class that's attempted that kind of legal action, and I am hopeful that they succeed and that some important precedents will be set by their cases.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 01:33 AM   #483
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The Sandy Hook lawsuits probably have struck fear into the heart and wallets of people trying to make money of Conspiracy Theories.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 01:58 AM   #484
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Presumably he was hired before the university became aware of his proclivities. Once they emerged, his initial activities were ones that danced on the edge of nebulous and untested free speech issues that the university probably didn't want to contend with.

The Sandy Hook CT directly attacks the grieving parents of murdered first-grade children by name, and courts are recognizing that these kinds of claims are different from the mostly impersonal "NASA/the military/Illuminati/Bush did its of the past, insofar as these newer personalized CTs actually cause serious damage to the lives of their particularly sympathetic victims.

I don't think Sandy Hook parents were the first class of victims who could've had an actionable case against Alex Jones and his ilk. But they do seem to be the first class that's attempted that kind of legal action, and I am hopeful that they succeed and that some important precedents will be set by their cases.
I agree.

Moon Hoax and 9/11 CTs are particularly annoying, but ultimately, they are like the description of the Earth in the "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

But the Sandy Hook and Boston Marathon bombing CTs are harmful, particularly to those who suffered traumatic injuries and lost family members.

As far as Alex Jones goes, whatever else happens to him, I would like to see his Infowars website dismantled, and domain confiscated and permanently shut down, along with all its variations.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 02:02 AM   #485
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Could more prominent victims of CTs also sue and expect to win?
For instance, the Clintons for Pizza/PedoGate or Soros for ... well, for too many cases to mention.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 07:56 AM   #486
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Could more prominent victims of CTs also sue and expect to win?
For instance, the Clintons for Pizza/PedoGate or Soros for ... well, for too many cases to mention.
I believe it would be more complicated for them as they're seen as public figures. I know the Fetzer is quasi-publicish but I would say not a lot of people know or care who he is.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 02:59 PM   #487
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yeah, how does that saying go again?

"He never met a conspiracy theory he didn't believe"
Fetzer was frequently discussed in the 9/11 Conspiracy threads. He was a major player in the "Truth Movement".
But I note that very few people who buy into a conspiracy theory can stop at just one. It's like peanuts or potato chips;almost impossible to stop eating them once you start.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 03:00 PM   #488
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
He was probably relatively sane when he was hired, but went bananas after he had tenure.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 03:42 PM   #489
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I agree.

Moon Hoax and 9/11 CTs are particularly annoying, but ultimately, they are like the description of the Earth in the "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

But the Sandy Hook and Boston Marathon bombing CTs are harmful, particularly to those who suffered traumatic injuries and lost family members.

As far as Alex Jones goes, whatever else happens to him, I would like to see his Infowars website dismantled, and domain confiscated and permanently shut down, along with all its variations.
I have to disagree about 9/11 CTs being benign.
A lot of pain was inflicted on the relatives of those were killed on board the airplanes by the "Vicsim" crap....the idea that the cell phones calls from those aboard the plane were faked, a main part of the No Planes theory.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th October 2019, 04:20 PM   #490
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of pain was inflicted on the relatives of those were killed on board the airplanes by the "Vicsim" crap....the idea that the cell phones calls from those aboard the plane were faked, a main part of the No Planes theory.
Yep, that's fair enough!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:19 PM   #491
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I hope that the relatives of astronauts (as well as the astronauts themselves) were able to laugh it off!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:51 PM   #492
Checkmite

And before them I believe the Aurora theater shooting victims were likewise personally harassed by conspiracy theorists, including Alex Jones fans.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 05:22 AM   #493
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I hope that the relatives of astronauts (as well as the astronauts themselves) were able to laugh it off!

Or have a good right hook.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 06:10 AM   #494
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think this is an example of how the justice system can take time to catch up with social changes. Hopefully as more people come to realise that yes they have free speech but when that free speech harms others they can be held responsible for that harm they may make sure the evidence they claim really does exist. ( Obviously I am talking about the type of free speech at the heart of this specific issue not free speech in every possible scenario you can think up).
Old 19th October 2019, 06:59 AM   #495
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Or have a good right left hook.

FTFY, and ooh! Another opportunity to post my favourite animated .gif

Old 19th October 2019, 07:03 AM   #496
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think this is an example of how the justice system can take time to catch up with social changes. Hopefully as more people come to realise that yes they have free speech but when that free speech harms others they can be held responsible for that harm they may make sure the evidence they claim really does exist. ( Obviously I am talking about the type of free speech at the heart of this specific issue not free speech in every possible scenario you can think up).
We could be seeing the beginning of the end for sites such as infowars and daily stormer being able to spew their vile garbage with impunity and the protection of 1A.

I certainly hope this is the case.

Old 19th October 2019, 01:28 PM   #497
Checkmite

We could be seeing the beginning of the end for sites such as infowars and daily stormer being able to spew their vile garbage with impunity and the protection of 1A.

I certainly hope this is the case.
Ostensibly, Alex Jones would be perfectly free to continue railing against chemically-gay frogs and the goblin-vampire-satanic children's services system and so on, so long as he doesn't continue to claim that the specific, real victims of past or future tragic acts of violence or terror are just paid actors making up their dead friends and children. But now that his audience has tasted blood and felt the empowerment of doxxing and directly harassing "conspirators", he may begin to lose them if he refuses to feed their cravings on that level.
Old 19th October 2019, 05:32 PM   #498
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I'm rooting hard for Jones to continue exactly as he has been doing. And then to get sued clean off the face of the planet.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2019, 10:50 AM   #499
carlitos
"más divertido"

A long and thorough Austin American Statesman article on the recent video depositions, which includes links to the video as well, can be found here. Alex and his producer Rob Dew did not prepare, did not come off well, and are doomed. Paul Joseph Watson seemed to successfully distance himself from the worst of things, as he had urged the show to stay away from Sandy Hook theories and nuts like Jim Fetzer.

At the end of a three hour deposition on a lawsuit regarding the harassment of parents of dead children at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Alex Jones' last words were literally “Epstein didn’t kill himself.” At that point, the lawyer finally laughed after three hours of maintaining his composure.

My impressions:
  • Alex seemed to think that the internet wayback machine measured traffic to a site.
  • Alex can't tell the difference between fact and opinion or "his feelings."
  • Infowars knew that the Sandy Hook theories were kooky and didn't care.

Infowars is a completely disorganized **** show of a company, that can't find anything. Rob Dew was there as a representative of the company and he was completely unprepared. At one point he said that he didn't have a video and the lawyer informed him that Rob himself had previously provided the lawyer with that video. If there is such a thing as contempt in a civil deposition, that's what they are guilty of.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 07:03 AM   #500
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Alex Jones and InfoWars Ordered to Pay $100K in Court Costs for Sandy Hook Case:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/alex-jo...-case?ref=home
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 07:35 AM   #501
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That's a nice Christmas present for the families.
Old 31st December 2019, 09:45 AM   #502
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Alex Jones and InfoWars Ordered to Pay $100K in Court Costs for Sandy Hook Case:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/alex-jo...-case?ref=home
It's a start.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 09:50 AM   #503
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh come on. Where's our "But waddabudda freedom of speech!" handwringers at?

Because you know that not letting one manchild conspiracy nutjob launch a harassment campaign against the survivors and families of a terrible tragedy is a slippery slope to government jack booted thugs kicking in the door at your Grandma's knitting circle and carrying her off to reeducation camps for not using the proper Thinkspeak.
Old 31st December 2019, 10:25 AM   #504
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Because you know that not letting one manchild conspiracy nutjob launch a harassment campaign against the survivors and families of a terrible tragedy is a slippery slope to government jack booted thugs kicking in the door at your Grandma's knitting circle and carrying her off to reeducation camps for not using the proper Thinkspeak.
To be fair, the main issue of the lawsuit is yet unsettled. This smaller payout was related AJ's poorly run legal defense engaging in stall tactics and failing to follow court rules.
Old 31st December 2019, 02:29 PM   #505
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
They tend to hide under flat stones, or disappear into their troll-caves, or close all the windows in their parents' basement, or generally find ways to make themselves scarce when they know they are on a hiding to nothing!

Last edited by smartcooky; 31st December 2019 at 02:32 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events