ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jeffrey Epstein , sex offenders , sex trafficking

Old 6th August 2020, 04:45 AM   #1321
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/bessbell/status/1290678910770765825

Quote:
I hate to disagree with the official position of the president of the United States, but I, for one, do not wish child sex traffickers well.
Old 6th August 2020, 01:27 PM   #1322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
But he is the President and it would be wrong for him to repeat allegations or even worse comment on whether anyone is guilty or innocent before a trial!
Old 10th August 2020, 06:14 PM   #1323
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Today is the one year anniversary of Epstein not killing himself!
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:18 PM   #1324
Axxman300
Illuminator

This is a long, well written article:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics..._medium=social

This is probably the best character and historical profile of Epstein I've read. Many of the how and why questions are answered, or at least solidly hinted at. The author made calls to people in Epstein's black book and many talked to him. An interesting cross section of financial people, models, actresses, and artists.

As will all things Epstein this is a complicated piece.

Check it out.
Old 9th October 2020, 03:51 PM   #1325
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

This is probably the best character and historical profile of Epstein I've read. Many of the how and why questions are answered, or at least solidly hinted at. The author made calls to people in Epstein's black book and many talked to him. An interesting cross section of financial people, models, actresses, and artists.

Check it out.
That was fascinating, so thanks for posting it.

I particularly enjoyed this bit:

"To call Epstein a grifter is to assume he circumvented some genuine meritocratic world order, where the “real” virtuosos dutifully climb the “real” ranks into the oligarchy, powered by nothing but their native talents.

The truth is that the elite world that Epstein ascended into, the one I tapped into by way of the black book, is populated with hordes of loathsome, boring, untalented people living their bumbling, idiotic lives while just so happening to wield some share of the preposterous global bounty that he and the rest were after. For all the mystery surrounding Epstein’s fortune, its existence is hardly more inscrutable than the wealth of any of his other billionaire peers. He earned it the same way they all did, which is to say precisely not at all."
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 05:28 PM   #1326
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

Check it out.
A very interesting read. I liked the caution:
Quote:
I have been aggressively counseled to remind the readers of Mother Jones that an appearance in the address book is not evidence of any crime, or of complicity in any crime, or of knowledge of any crime.
And I suppose you could add "or attended a party or flew on a plane". Though I'm not sure how far one can go with this.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events