ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Old 2nd January 2018, 07:37 PM   #801
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Usually when you get that deep they end up going gish gallop or fringe reset.
Funny, gish gallop is a term he likes to use, you're not flat earther Anthony Riley by any chance are you?

If you want to see how far out some of these people have gone go to the 1.00 Hr mark on this video, Anthony has deleted his channel due to a lost bet but some debunkers got hold of his video and conducted some assessment of it. In it, he's got hold of a photo of the eclipse taken through a solar filter, claims that some faulty pixels are stars showing through the moon and proceeded to draw his own constellations based on the camera sensor noise.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AYoCCUA7zfE
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:53 PM   #802
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post
Funny, gish gallop is a term he likes to use, you're not flat earther Anthony Riley by any chance are you?

If you want to see how far out some of these people have gone go to the 1.00 Hr mark on this video, Anthony has deleted his channel due to a lost bet but some debunkers got hold of his video and conducted some assessment of it. In it, he's got hold of a photo of the eclipse taken through a solar filter, claims that some faulty pixels are stars showing through the moon and proceeded to draw his own constellations based on the camera sensor noise.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AYoCCUA7zfE
Not a Flat Earther. I may not have been the shining star of the Astrophysics program at the U., but I did get awarded a Bachelors.
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:09 PM   #803
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Not a Flat Earther. I may not have been the shining star of the Astrophysics program at the U., but I did get awarded a Bachelors.
That's too bad then, you'll be far too indoctrinated to ever be able to see the truth.
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:19 AM   #804
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
There are different denominations in flat earthery, but in looking around it does sound like the standard belief is that the sun, moon, and planets are spheres.
Oh yeah? Einstinian or Newtonian spheres? See, you can't answer that one!!!!!

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:39 AM   #805
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Oh yeah? Einstinian or Newtonian spheres? See, you can't answer that one!!!!!

Dave
Dyson...

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:49 AM   #806
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Dyson...
Can't be. There's no such thing as a vacuum.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 04:32 AM   #807
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Dave

Well played.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:56 AM   #808
Rincewind
Philosopher

Dave
Well ha!!! We have a cordless one in our kitchen!

Answer that!
Old 3rd January 2018, 10:38 AM   #809
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Once you question the Earth's Shape, I suppose questioning the reality of the historical slave trade is a logical next step.

http://www.complex.com/music/2017/11...ade-ships-went

Or at least it is if you're nuttier than squirrel poo.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:42 AM   #810
Lurch
Critical Thinker

In one of the Flattards' YT vids I've seen which prattles on about 'perspective'...

The example is used of aircraft and their contrails. Those nicely straight ones are certainly suggestive to the eye. But! The whole *critically* crucial matter of perspective acceleration is omitted. Those planes, on their essentially constant-altitude/constant-speed paths appear to very significantly speed up and then slow down as they cross the sky, having a maximum angular velocity when the ground track is nearest the observer.

The Sun, however, maintains always a virtually constant angular velocity from sunrise through sunset. Anyone can measure this, and compare the vast rate difference in behavior with objects like planes. Even satellites evince perspective acceleration almost as strongly as do planes. (For satellites, their higher altitude results in us seeing them track through a larger arc over the curved Earth, the result being a slightly smaller rate of change in p.e. at given angular altitude, and more so nearer to the horizon.)

Another piece of crap example. The bigger Sun as seen from higher elevations (meaning you're closer to it), based on *overexposed* video images which bloom the Sun to many times its actual diameter. Moreover, whatever image scale differences between video clips are unknown to start with, nor the degree of overexposure of the Sun.

If a mountaintop view resulted in a sensibly larger Sun, then why the hell does not the Sun vary in its apparent diameter during the course of the day? If the Sun maintains a constant height above the flat Earth, and said distance is less than the Earth's diameter, the hen we should see the Sun vary in diameter by easily a factor of two. Again, visual observation of the filtered Sun through a telescope never shows other than a fixed angular diameter.

So, the the matter of perspective acceleration and a varying solar disk size are conveniently overlooked in their 'model.'

And of course, the very fact of the Sun intercepting the horizon at the *same angular velocity* as when transiting the meridian is a killer fly in their ointment. Not to mention that a Sun supposedly always some thousands of miles above the disk could ever be seen to plunge to a sea level horizon in the first place!

If their argument is to be atmospheric refraction, then the obvious counter is the appearance of the constellations, which are seen to not be meaningfully altered by such an effect. The star patterns remain sensibly fixed, wheeling about at the same (essentially, for our purposes, neglecting the Sun's eastward movement against the sidereal universe) constant angular velocity as the Sun.

These yokels who confidently crow about their limited, untested observations 'proving' the Earth's flatness only reveal their utter ignorance of basic science. This topic matters to me because my beloved sister believes this *****, among much other woo.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:07 PM   #811
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
This topic matters to me because my beloved sister believes this *****, among much other woo.
Do you have any idea how she came to believe the Earth was flat?
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:27 PM   #812
Lurch
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Do you have any idea how she came to believe the Earth was flat?
It was only less than a year ago that she revealed the depth of her subsumption into the world of crackpottery. Chemtrails, special loci of energy at certain places on Earth, the Apollo hoax, WTC false flag, the Illuminati, and much else besides. I can't but surmise a small degree of schizophrenia, as Dad was apparently so afflicted. The need to feel some 'special' knowledge must assuage a kind of paranoia.

Now that I think about it, some signs might be gleaned from an event just about 20 years ago, whereby she was hounded out of her job by the unwanted attentions of one of the people under her watch. I always found it strange that the situation as she described it could be allowed to continue once pointed out to her higher ups. Now I wonder if she was imagining more than was going on...

I'm saddened by a reasonably smart and intelligent person (and not just because she's my sis) falling prey to crazy batcrap woo and worse. But she's on the other side of the country, and we haven't crossed paths for over a quarter of a century (unholy hell, that's just insane to contemplate, seeing it written down.) If I could be closer and do some one-on-one demonstrations (I'm told I'm a pretty good teacher), maybe a little light of truth could shine into a few chinks I might crack open...
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 08:45 AM   #813
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

You too can be a Flat Earther..sorry, Field Engineer.

For only $125 for 6 months.

http://fecore.org
Old 8th January 2018, 11:45 AM   #814
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Hmm.

Do they call it "Field Engineer" because the only thing you'll be qualified to do afterwards is pick seasonal harvest crops?
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 12:57 PM   #815
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

I take great offense, my father spent his career in Field Engineering and while he does sport a flat top he don't support no flat Earth.
Old 8th January 2018, 01:12 PM   #816
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Should Flat Earthers Have a Reality TV Show Where They Look For The Edge Of Earth?

Quote:
Flat Earthers are a group who believe that the Earth is actually flat, but that the mainstream media and a shadowy government that desperately tries to keep us under the illusion that it is spherical. Though the group is small, its theories are far research, due in large part to a strong presence on social media platforms like Reddit.
Old 8th January 2018, 05:22 PM   #817
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
I take great offense, my father spent his career in Field Engineering and while he does sport a flat top he don't support no flat Earth.
Allegedly the 'field engineering' is for tax breaks by claiming it's a research organisation or something.
Old 8th January 2018, 05:26 PM   #818
The Man

Allegedly the 'field engineering' is for tax breaks by claiming it's a research organisation or something.
Figured something like that but just wanted to do the flat top flat earth joke.
Old 12th January 2018, 07:42 PM   #819
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Flat earth conference in Birmingham UK if anyone's interested, I can think of better ways to lose a few brain cells though.

www.flatearthconferenceuk.co.uk
Old 13th January 2018, 10:10 PM   #820
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

Flat earth conference in Birmingham UK if anyone's interested, I can think of better ways to lose a few brain cells though.

www.flatearthconferenceuk.co.uk
The fact that their "new website" is 6 months behind the proposed launch date does not fill me with confidence...
Old 14th January 2018, 07:31 PM   #821
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Old 15th January 2018, 08:49 AM   #822
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
The fact that their "new website" is 6 months behind the proposed launch date does not fill me with confidence...
Ran into a problem. The only internet provider they could get used satellite, and since those don't work on a flat earth...

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 12:40 PM   #823
The Man

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post

Holy crapoly, globe theory proven!!!!!!~
Old 12th February 2018, 11:57 PM   #824
mopc
Scholar

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
The epitome of "Science"....Mythbusters.

Yes, I caught that also Unfortunately (For your Fairytale), when the "camera" panned back to Adam, it showed the Horizon behind him... Flat as a Pancake !!
If the earth is a disk, then the horizon would necessarily have to be curved from a height, right? So you just proved flat earth theory wrong.
mopc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 07:09 AM   #825
Octavo
Illuminator

Does anyone know the flat earthers response to Starman and the 4 hour feed that anyone can go and watch, which completely and utterly destroys their arguments?
Old 13th February 2018, 07:11 AM   #826
Worm
Master Poster

I predict: faked footage. Launch never really happened, and it was all staged. Just the usual really.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 07:19 AM   #827
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I predict: faked footage. Launch never really happened, and it was all staged. Just the usual really.
The launch footage available on YouTube from dozens of different people from dozens of different angles might make the no launch claim rather thin.

I suppose no evidence can convince those with faith.
Old 13th February 2018, 07:25 AM   #828
Worm
Master Poster

As usual, they don't have to provide any backup, just say "It's faked, prove otherwise."

No way any evidence is going to convince them.

Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 07:26 AM   #829
Worm
Master Poster

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/10...y-launch-hoax/

Old 13th February 2018, 07:47 AM   #830
Octavo
Illuminator

Old 13th February 2018, 07:51 AM   #831
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
The launch footage available on YouTube from dozens of different people from dozens of different angles might make the no launch claim rather thin.
That never bothered 911 "truthers".

Hans
Old 13th February 2018, 08:03 AM   #832
Belz...
Fiend God

No way any evidence is going to convince them.
Given that, as all ideologues do, they actively avoid actual evidence, that seems to be a given.

I mean, they could test their theory by going on the ocean or calculating shadow angles at different latitudes, etc. but they don't, of course. They make Youtube videos, and that's really important.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 09:15 PM   #833
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

I'll just leave this here

Old 1st March 2018, 10:18 AM   #834
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Nice photo to help rebut our Flat earth friends

https://twitter.com/barrybutler9/sta...35294991659008

or just a nice photo

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 10:44 AM   #835
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

or just a nice photo
According to flat earthers, the divergence of crepuscular rays proves that the sun is much closer than 93,000,000 miles.

Of course, in this instance, it is perspective that makes parallel rays appear to converge at the sun. Flat earthers like to cite perspective for a lot of things that it doesn't explain, but not for this case, which it actually does explain. Not that "anti-crepuscular" rays (opposite the sun) appear to converge on the anti-solar point, and, when they can be seen in aerial photos from above, actually do appear parallel. Of course, an inability to understand basic geometry is pretty much a prerequisite for being a flat earther.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 11:00 AM   #836
Venom
Graduate Poster

I don't think we should take flat earthers seriously. The site, last I checked, 2011 or so, is full of trolls engaging in exercises in debate and epistemology.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2018, 01:09 PM   #837
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
According to flat earthers, the divergence of crepuscular rays proves that the sun is much closer than 93,000,000 miles.

Of course, in this instance, it is perspective that makes parallel rays appear to converge at the sun. Flat earthers like to cite perspective for a lot of things that it doesn't explain, but not for this case, which it actually does explain. Not that "anti-crepuscular" rays (opposite the sun) appear to converge on the anti-solar point, and, when they can be seen in aerial photos from above, actually do appear parallel. Of course, an inability to understand basic geometry is pretty much a prerequisite for being a flat earther.
Ah, I see. So these rails are not parallel, then?

Hans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rail.jpg (122.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 1st March 2018, 01:18 PM   #838
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Old 1st March 2018, 04:32 PM   #839
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

or just a nice photo
Attached is one I took.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171003_185102-1.jpg (44.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 1st March 2018, 05:14 PM   #840
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Kyle Irving is making me root against the Boston Celtics. No way I want that idiot to win a ring and use this fame to promote his idiocies...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories