ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 04:49 AM   #41
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And fake news awards by press release? That has to be the worst awards show of the year! Getting an awards show together and putting on a good show was one of the things I figured the Trump organization could nail.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 04:51 AM   #42
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Why the hell is that excreble wall at all in play? Trump campaigned on the promise that it would be paid for by Mexico. If he can't force your southern neighbor to fork over the dinero, he has what I see to be a legitimate out. But if the expectation by the rabid base is to have Americans fund it and then get prompt reimbursement from Mexico, that would be a bloody good instance of cognitive dissonance on the part of the racist bastages wherein the supposedly untrustworthy, criminal Mexicans--while being affronted no less--will be willingly subject to usury.
He doesn't have an out as part of the same campaign he said Mexico *would* pay.
Old 18th January 2018, 05:11 AM   #43
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And fake news awards by press release? That has to be the worst awards show of the year! Getting an awards show together and putting on a good show was one of the things I figured the Trump organization could nail.
Why? Unless it gained him access to the changing room of girls and women there is nothing in it for him.
Old 18th January 2018, 05:34 AM   #44
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner
This is going to take some serious distraction. Firing Mueller and firing a nuke at the same time probably seems like a good idea.
“Lil’ Donny” had a good take on this: Distraction
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 06:17 AM   #45
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Trump and many of his voters honestly believe that "fake news" doesn't mean news that's fake or otherwise misleading. Instead it's all about whether they find it upsetting and portrays trump negatively.

Two problems I see here.

For one, it's redundant. Anything at all which portrays Trump negatively would be upsetting to his supporters.

And any dispassionate reporting on his actions is more than likely to reflect on him negatively.

Even if you try and pad it in his favor.
"Trump played four hours of golf today while Hawaii was in crisis mode reacting to a false missile warning he was informed was false almost immediately and could have responded publicly about and squelched within minutes.

He shot a four over, and only cheated a little bit."
See how I even slanted that in his favor? Everyone knows he probably cheated a lot to manage four over.

Last edited by quadraginta; 18th January 2018 at 06:19 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 06:58 AM   #46
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
He doesn't have an out as part of the same campaign he said Mexico *would* pay.

In the process of contradicting Kelly, he's still insisting that Mexico will pay for it.

Quote:
"The Wall is the Wall, it has never changed or evolved from the first day I conceived of it. Parts will be, of necessity, see through and it was never intended to be built in areas where there is natural protection such as mountains, wastelands or tough rivers or water," the President tweeted.

"The Wall will be paid for, directly or indirectly, or through longer term reimbursement, by Mexico, which has a ridiculous $71 billion dollar trade surplus with the U.S. The $20 billion dollar Wall is "peanuts" compared to what Mexico makes from the U.S. NAFTA is a bad joke!"

"The day I conceived of it." As if the concept were ever anything more detailed than "a really big wall."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 07:12 AM   #47
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Haitians are now unable to apply for visas in order to take unskilled jobs
Old 18th January 2018, 07:50 AM   #48
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Headline today —

Quote:
“Kelly says Trump’s views ‘evolved.’ Then, Trump tweets.”

“I’m not evolved! I’m the same troglodyte I always was!”
Old 18th January 2018, 07:59 AM   #49
Lurch
Critical Thinker

It's sheer madness to propose an expensive mega-project on one's own soil, such as the cursed wall, and not just *expect* another nation to pick up the tab, but even to *suggest* that such could enter into the realm of possibility. From the first moment of his uttering such a damn fool idea I could see only lunacy on the part of Trump's fevered imagination and insanity among the millions (Jesus, that many?!) bigger fools who bought into it.

Surely Trump's base must see by now some glimmerings of a realization that a full blown manifestation of such a Quixotic scheme is unrealistic at best, and in some measure ruinous.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 08:36 AM   #50
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Fake News Awards!
Old 18th January 2018, 08:42 AM   #51
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Headline today —

“Kelly says Trump’s views ‘evolved.’ Then, Trump tweets.”

“I’m not evolved! I’m the same troglodyte I always was!”
I almost spit my orange juice out when I read that.
Old 18th January 2018, 08:56 AM   #52
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So, we have a potential shutdown over government funding looming.

They could just resign a short term extension to keep things moving, but Democrats want things like CHIP funding and DACA included in the bill, Republicans want more military spending, and Trump wants his wall. With all these competing priorities we may have gridlock.

Now there's one other issue:

From: https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.b07850e30330
The budget extension lawmakers must vote on by Friday evening to avoid a government shutdown will, as written, give President Trump the power to secretly reshuffle money the administration spends on intelligence programs for the next month — sweeping authority that is unprecedented since the CIA was established. Lawmakers are scrambling to figure out why the short-term budget measure muzzles a long-standing law preventing the administration from spending money on intelligence activities Congress has not specifically authorized.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 09:07 AM   #53
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
. Lawmakers are scrambling to figure out why the short-term budget measure muzzles a long-standing law preventing the administration from spending money on intelligence activities Congress has not specifically authorized.[/i]
Why not ask the author? And then take it out.
Old 18th January 2018, 09:20 AM   #54
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Quote:
Lawmakers are scrambling to figure out why the short-term budget measure muzzles a long-standing law preventing the administration from spending money on intelligence activities Congress has not specifically authorized
Why not ask the author? And then take it out.
I suspect the text of the bill was written by committee. Then typed up by a group of chimpanzees on crack, who ripped up the bill, and glued the pieces back together with their own feces. So its possible that nobody knows who the author is.

Quite possible that this was just some sort of mistake with a word processor (a sort of 'oops, cut and pasted from the wrong document'.)

Strange though, the Washington post article seems to be the only source I found for this issue.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 09:23 AM   #55
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I suspect the text of the bill was written by committee. Then typed up by a group of chimpanzees on crack, who ripped up the bill, and glued the pieces back together with their own feces. So its possible that nobody knows who the author is.

Quite possible that this was just some sort of mistake with a word processor (a sort of 'oops, cut and pasted from the wrong document'.)

Strange though, the Washington post article seems to be the only source I found for this issue.
Likely because they are the only ones who have read it
Old 18th January 2018, 09:30 AM   #56
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
They say it would take an infinite amount of time for an infinite number of monkeys to type out the works of Shakespeare by chance.

Most of our Congressional bills? 12 monkeys, 30 minutes.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 09:52 AM   #57
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
They say it would take an infinite amount of time for an infinite number of monkeys to type out the works of Shakespeare by chance.
If the recent tax bill is any indication, I'd say at least half that 30 minutes involves scrawling illegible notes in the margins with their own feces.

And most of those monkeys are actually lobbyists.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th January 2018, 10:02 AM   #58
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So like every person with a moderately high cholesterol that is overweight and under exercised has a serious heart condition now?

I'm sorry but this really is a nothing burger.

It's not fake-news, it's make-news where there isn't any. CNN and Dr Gupta did a whole waste of time segment on it too.
I believe you over any doctor in the land. You are Skeptic Ginger!
Old 18th January 2018, 10:14 AM   #59
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm hearing a couple new terms today -- "Tuesday Trump" vs. "Thursday Trump". This just gets weirder and weirder.

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
I almost spit my orange juice out when I read that.
I'm not sure if that's because of the original claim or my response to it -- either way...
Old 18th January 2018, 10:19 AM   #60
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I believe you over any doctor in the land. You are Skeptic Ginger!

What a nonsensical response...
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 11:10 AM   #61
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Thanks to the internet, we now know this is not true.
Quote:
Most Congressional bills would be improved by random typing by monkeys.

Last edited by CORed; 18th January 2018 at 11:12 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 11:13 AM   #62
Degeneve
Muse

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Trump’s Physical Revealed Serious Heart Concerns, Outside Experts Say

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/1...olesterol.html
What is really amazing with his diet based on big macs and light coca cola is that he is no suffering type 2 diabetes. He is a perfect candidate for this disease.
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 12:03 PM   #63
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Now there's one other issue:

From: https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.b07850e30330
The budget extension lawmakers must vote on by Friday evening to avoid a government shutdown will, as written, give President Trump the power to secretly reshuffle money the administration spends on intelligence programs for the next month — sweeping authority that is unprecedented since the CIA was established. Lawmakers are scrambling to figure out why the short-term budget measure muzzles a long-standing law preventing the administration from spending money on intelligence activities Congress has not specifically authorized.

Gee, I wonder how that slipped in there.

From the article;
"Congressional staffers believe the “notwithstanding” mistake may have been inserted in error,"
Yeah. Right. Suuure it was.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 12:09 PM   #64
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Global confidence in US leadership at new low, according to new global poll
Old 18th January 2018, 12:19 PM   #65
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I’ll bet his supporters see that as a badge of honor!
Old 18th January 2018, 12:27 PM   #66
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Gee, I wonder how that slipped in there.

From the article;
"Congressional staffers believe the “notwithstanding” mistake may have been inserted in error,"
Yeah. Right. Suuure it was.
On the other hand it's possible. "Notwithstanding" is an awful big word.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 12:30 PM   #67
Stacyhs
Illuminator

It's sheer madness to propose an expensive mega-project on one's own soil, such as the cursed wall, and not just *expect* another nation to pick up the tab, but even to *suggest* that such could enter into the realm of possibility. From the first moment of his uttering such a damn fool idea I could see only lunacy on the part of Trump's fevered imagination and insanity among the millions (Jesus, that many?!) bigger fools who bought into it.

Surely Trump's base must see by now some glimmerings of a realization that a full blown manifestation of such a Quixotic scheme is unrealistic at best, and in some measure ruinous.
You're giving his base much more credit for intelligence than they deserve.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 12:31 PM   #68
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Maybe it was supposed to be "Nitwit standing"? Were they trying to describe our Commander-in-Tweet?
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 12:57 PM   #69
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by bruto View Post

Yeah. So many people use it as a regular part of their daily speech that it could have easily just slipped into the changes being made to the bill without even realizing it.

And, of course, no one else noticing until the WaPo picked up on it.

Last edited by quadraginta; 18th January 2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 18th January 2018, 01:07 PM   #70
Bob001
Philosopher

Stephen Colbert obtained the results of Trump's endoscopy. Secrets revealed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTEy...vFcwgVe1czEkXv
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 01:39 PM   #71
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Thanks for my first truly "out loud laugh" of the day. The use of The Magic School Bus was ingenious.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 03:16 PM   #72
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I’ll bet his supporters see that as a badge of honor!
Now, probably. But when it was Obama, it was all about how the US didn't have any respect worldwide.

Now that the US has lost any respect it had, that is a badge of honor.
Old 18th January 2018, 04:36 PM   #73
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I just watched the Letterman interview with Obama on Netflix. Nothing has made it so clear why I hate Trump more than this. Trumo aspired beyond his station. He'll never be like Obama. He'll never sit on a stage in front of civili society and be asked questions by an urbane intellectual about his time in office. Trump will never have a sense of history. He will never have a sense of humility, the way Obama talks about John Lewis. Trump will never feel the awe of being the Republic's president.

Trump is trying to join a club that will never have him. At 71, a man should know his station. The next president could rightly say he or she doesn't want a portrait of a Trump in the Whitehouse and they would be right. He was never good enough to be part of the club.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 04:45 PM   #74
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

One would hope that if McMaster is still loyal to the country (we need no longer be detained by questions of Kelly's loyalty) he would be explaining what everyone over the rank of O-3 knows. If the enemy has reached your physical barriers, you've already lost. You can breach a physical defense for a small fraction of what your enemy spent building it.

It's time we accepted that true security on our southern border means a prosperous Mexico with an empowered civili society, a security service not fighting our drug war and jobs for the average Mexican that pay enough that he or she doesn't want to come here.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 04:45 PM   #75
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The next president could rightly say he or she doesn't want a portrait of a Trump in the Whitehouse and they would be right. He was never good enough to be part of the club.
The office of the public school where I volunteer still has a portrait of President Obama on display. I haven't bothered to point it out to anyone there.
Old 18th January 2018, 04:47 PM   #76
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Trump is trying to join a club that will never have him. At 71, a man should know his station.
I am a billionaire. Your argument is invalid.
Old 18th January 2018, 04:52 PM   #77
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
BBC have a similar thing:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38663043

I admit that when our US engineers come across for training I'm amused how easy they able to be wound up by discussions about Trump.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 04:55 PM   #78
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Now, probably. But when it was Obama, it was all about how the US didn't have any respect worldwide.

Now that the US has lost any respect it had, that is a badge of honor.
Excellent point. It's just crazy to think that these things are said in all earnestness and a sizable portion of the population yum it up like a dog lapping up a pool of vomit.

Trump is trying to join a club that will never have him. At 71, a man should know his station. The next president could rightly say he or she doesn't want a portrait of a Trump in the Whitehouse and they would be right. He was never good enough to be part of the club.
Of course. The root of his deep-seated psychoses is a devastating sense of inferiority which he must compensate for.**

**The standard disclaimers apply.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 04:58 PM   #79
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Obviously fake news. They'd have found his head in there at the end.
Old 18th January 2018, 05:09 PM   #80
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I’m hearing claims from Trump supporters that ISIS has “shrunk” due to Trump’s ...I dunno. Something. Business experience?

Has anyone else heard this claim or know what it’s based on, if anything?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics