ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Tennessee sheriff caught on bodycam laughing about order to kill unarmed suspect

The suspect was in a vehicle, and when deputies announced on the radio that they intended to ram his vehicle to end the chase, the sheriff overruled them and ordered the unarmed suspect killed because the sheriff didn't want to "tear up my cars":

Quote:
Shoupe arrived on the scene shortly after police had shot Dial at the conclusion of a low-speed chase, clearly upset he had missed the excitement.

“I love this ****,” Shoupe said, apparently unaware that his comments were being picked up by another deputy’s body-worn camera. “God, I tell you what, I thrive on it.

“If they don’t think I’ll give the damn order to kill that ************ they’re full of ****,” he added, laughing. “Take him out. I’m here on the damn wrong end of the county,” he said.

Shoupe’s comments have prompted a federal lawsuit from Dial’s widow, Robyn Dial, alleging the use of excessive force against her late husband, who was unarmed.

Police had initially attempted to pull Dial over in April last year for driving on a suspended licence. He drove away, but the fact that he was driving a 40-odd-year-old pickup truck with a fully loaded trailer severely restricted his speed.

DeKalb County deputies, who began the pursuit before White County deputies took over, told investigators it was “more like a funeral procession” than a highway chase, with speeds topping out around 50mph.

Deputies tried using a PIT (Pursuit Intervention Technique) maneuver to slow Dial’s car, a common police tactic involving a police car nudging another vehicle to turn it sideways.
But Shoupe radioed officers to tell them to stop attempting to do that, instead ordering them to shoot the driver.

When a deputy had successfully nudged Dial off the road, Reserve Deputy Adam West, who was in pursuit in his own personal vehicle, fired three shots as the vehicle went down into a ditch. Dial died of a gunshot wound to the head.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Hubert Cumberdale
Graduate Poster

If Dial had a gun then it would have been a justified shooting. So you see Comrade, guns make everything better
Hubert Cumberdale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

The sheriff sounds like a psychopath in a uniform.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
If Dial had a gun then it would have been a justified shooting.
Yes. He would have been perfectly justified in shooting these murderous fiends in defense of his own life. In America there's clearly no other way to protect yourself against getting killed by cops than shooting first.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 7th February 2018 at 02:23 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 02:31 PM   #5
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

I sure hope they all go down as first degree, premeditated murder. All of 'em. They were all complicit and followed illegal orders. **** 'em gently with a chainsaw.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 02:39 PM   #6
Whip
Muse

the chase in question:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 02:40 PM   #7
madurobob
Philosopher

I wonder if this means his re-election margin of victory will increase...
Old 7th February 2018, 04:03 PM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

More info and things said by the Sheriff here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...save-cars.html
Old 7th February 2018, 05:44 PM   #9
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
I sure hope they all go down as first degree, premeditated murder. All of 'em. They were all complicit and followed illegal orders. **** 'em gently with a chainsaw.
The article in the OP said the DA decided not to prosecute, even:
Quote:
In June, the county district attorney declared the shooting justified.
ETA: but yeah, I 100% agree with you.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

Last edited by ddt; 7th February 2018 at 05:47 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 05:47 PM   #10
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
the chase in question:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I got to wonder why the cruisers in pursuit decide to stay behind Dial. There's several moments where the cruiser whose dash cam we see could overtake him.

Or simply, let other officers set up a road block further down the road.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 05:48 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

the chase in question:

I AGREE
He was already almost stopped, the cops weren't very effective in their maneuvers. Sad.
Old 7th February 2018, 05:53 PM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
I got to wonder why the cruisers in pursuit decide to stay behind Dial. There's several moments where the cruiser whose dash cam we see could overtake him.

Or simply, let other officers set up a road block further down the road.
They may have stayed behind because the Sheriff didn't want any police cars being damaged. Dial can smash into any car that is in front of him or even alongside.
Old 7th February 2018, 06:04 PM   #13
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The article makes it sound like a laff riot, complete with banjo-playing. The video makes it clear that this was dead-serious stuff. The idea that this guy was unarmed is ridiculous--he was threatening cops and innocent bystanders with a couple thousand pounds of metal.

Gotta love that the cop who shot him is named Adam West. Nice shooting!
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 06:14 PM   #14
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

In Australia they just stop the pursuit. They know who he is already and can just pick him up later. The idea that you have to keep up a pursuit is not rational. The cops themselves could have been killed trying to run him off the road.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 06:43 PM   #15
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The Sheriff has an interesting name as well -
Oddie Shoupe.
Old 7th February 2018, 06:47 PM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
In Australia they just stop the pursuit. They know who he is already and can just pick him up later.
That happens in America sometimes as well. But they certainly don't always know who is driving and where to find them later.
Old 7th February 2018, 07:02 PM   #17
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That happens in America sometimes as well. But they certainly don't always know who is driving and where to find them later.
They did in this case since they were apparently chasing him for driving with a suspended license.

Take note, everybody: In some US jurisdictions, this is a capital crime.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 07:10 PM   #18
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
They did in this case since they were apparently chasing him for driving with a suspended license.

It's not a capital crime at all. This is about an insane sheriff. The note to take (if there is one) is that insanity can sometimes bring murder and sometimes suicide.

Last edited by William Parcher; 7th February 2018 at 07:11 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 07:31 PM   #19
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

A lot of these chases seem to involve poor people. Was it suspended for unpaid fines?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 07:32 PM   #20
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

It's not a capital crime at all. This is about an insane sheriff. The note to take (if there is one) is that insanity can sometimes bring murder and sometimes suicide.
The driver or the cops?
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 07:35 PM   #21
Pterodactyl
Muse

I have met the Sherriff involved here, and work with his deputies regularly.
He has a good reputation and runs a very well thought of department.

I should note that this is the same rural TN county where a local judge recently made national headlines for offering reduced sentences to prisoners who agree to certain birth control measures
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...s+white+county

ETA: ISF Linke to previous discussion on events in this county.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 7th February 2018 at 08:20 PM.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 07:39 PM   #22
Whip
Muse

http://herald-citizen.com/stories/da...shooting,21545

Quote:
Police pursuit of Michael Zennie Dial II of Clarksville began in Smithville when police there responded to a report of shoplifting at Wal-Mart,....
Quote:
Police there found that Dial not only had a revoked driver license, but his license plate did not match the vehicle he was driving.
Quote:
A toxicology report following Dial’s death revealed that his blood tested positive for drugs, including methamphetamine, amphetamine and carboxy-THC.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 07:43 PM   #23
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I have met the Sherriff involved here, and work with his deputies regularly.
He has a good reputation and runs a very well thought of department.
Not anymore. At least, I hope not.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 07:43 PM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
The driver or the cops?
The driver did not seem to have a murderous insanity, but the Sheriff does.
Old 7th February 2018, 08:09 PM   #25
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Not anymore. At least, I hope not.
You could have voters in that county who now think that his reputation is better than ever. They would indeed vote for a Sheriff who eliminates drug-addicted criminals without any trial and with minimal taxpayer expense.

There is no question that this country contains taxpaying voters who think that way.

Last edited by William Parcher; 7th February 2018 at 08:10 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 08:22 PM   #26
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

You could have voters in that county who now think that his reputation is better than ever. They would indeed vote for a Sheriff who eliminates drug-addicted criminals without any trial and with minimal taxpayer expense.

There is no question that this country contains taxpaying voters who think that way.
Takes all kinds to make a world. Sure, there are some that would applaud him. One would hope that hearing him exult in someone's death in those circumstances might make the majority see things a little differently.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 08:39 PM   #27
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

One would hope that hearing him exult in someone's death in those circumstances might make the majority see things a little differently.
But it's what he says and how he says it that would appeal to these people. He actually loves eliminating these bad guys from our county and he even tells his men about it. They work as a team with him as the leader. A filthy criminal is gone forever and nobody has to pay to remove dents from squad cars. He needs to be perpetually reelected so that our community will be proper and then at least this little part of America will be great again.
Old 7th February 2018, 08:50 PM   #28
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

But it's what he says and how he says it that would appeal to these people. He actually loves eliminating these bad guys from our county and he even tells his men about it. They work as a team with him as the leader. A filthy criminal is gone forever and nobody has to pay to remove dents from squad cars. He needs to be perpetually reelected so that our community will be proper and then at least this little part of America will be great again.
Certainly. I would like to think that the people who think that way are a minority. Yes, what he said would appeal to some. I hope not many, or at least not a majority.
Old 7th February 2018, 08:52 PM   #29
madurobob
Philosopher

Certainly. I would like to think that the people who think that way are a minority. Yes, what he said would appeal to some. I hope not many, or at least not a majority.
I'd like to think that, too. But, then I look at Maricopa county, AZ.
Old 7th February 2018, 09:09 PM   #30
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
I'd like to think that, too. But, then I look at Maricopa county, AZ.
And this Tennessee Sheriff doesn't even care what color you are or where you are from or if you are armed or whatever. If you are a criminal and you flee then you are simply deleted.
Old 7th February 2018, 09:10 PM   #31
madurobob
Philosopher

And this Tennessee Sheriff doesn't even care what color you are or where you are from or if you are armed or whatever. If you are a criminal and you flee then you are simply deleted.
Dang, you should be on his campaign staff.
Old 7th February 2018, 09:16 PM   #32
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That kind of campaigning generally only works well in the rural heartland. The places where America is still great in big ways. Maricopa County was a weird outlier because it contains the big Phoenix.
Old 7th February 2018, 09:21 PM   #33
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Actually you could never campaign and win on a platform of spontaneously murdering criminals. It did happen in the Philippines but it wouldn't work here.

But you could be elected if the voters knew that this is your style of law enforcement. You just can't announce it.
Old 7th February 2018, 09:57 PM   #34
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect that many people have a mindless visceral reaction of approval to this type of bombast: “Sure, they’re just criminal lowlife anyway-just shoot ‘em all in the head and charge the cost of the bullet to their parents.” Just as long as “they” are an abstract concept. When the suspect/perp is their brother, or son, or friend, then the connection allows them to see the suspect/perp as an individual human being and their tune changes.

Personal connections and/or the ability to feel empathy plays a huge role.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 11:13 PM   #35
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That's what happens in sane parts of the US too. If we had a competent Attorney General who was loyal to the nation, there would be federal charges. Maybe if we change administrations the guy's family can get justice before the federal statute of limitations runs out. Seems a pretty clear-cut case of violation of civil rights under the color.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 12:50 AM   #36
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Just because an officer is responding to a low-level (shoplifting or similar)
criminal offense doesn't mean that call is the totality of who they'll be dealing with - from my area:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Lake

(October 29, 1945 – June 6, 1985)—also known as Leonard Hill and a variety of other aliases—was an American serial killer. During the mid-1980s, he and accomplice Charles Ng raped, tortured and murdered an estimated 11 to 25 victims at a remote cabin in Calaveras County, California, in the Sierra Nevada foothills 150 miles east of San Francisco.[1]

On June 2, 1985, Ng was caught shoplifting a vise from a hardware store in South San Francisco, and fled the scene. Lake later drove to the store and attempted to pay for the vise, but by then police had arrived.[4]:93 Officers noticed that Lake bore no resemblance to the photo on his driving license, which carried the name of Robin Stapley, a San Diego man reported missing by his family several weeks earlier. He was arrested after a gun equipped with a silencer was found in the trunk of his vehicle, and later positively identified via a fingerprint search. While in custody, Lake swallowed cyanide pills that he had sewn into his clothes, and died four days later.[4]:93

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ng

Charles Ng Chi-Tat (traditional Chinese: 吳志達; simplified Chinese: 吴志达; Jyutping: ng4 zi3 daat6; born December 24, 1960 in Hong Kong) is a serial killer who operated in the United States. He is believed to have raped, tortured and murdered between 11 and 25 victims with his accomplice Leonard Lake at Lake's cabin in Calaveras County, California, in the Sierra Nevada foothills, 60 miles from Sacramento.[3]

Ng, meanwhile, had fled to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where his sister resided.[11] He lived, undetected, in a lean-to in Fish Creek Provincial Park until his penchant for theft did him in yet again. On July 6, 1985, he was arrested by the Calgary Police Service after shooting security guard Sean Doyle in the hand while resisting arrest for stealing a can of salmon from a Calgary department store.[2][12] He was charged and subsequently convicted of shoplifting, assault with a weapon, and possession of a concealed firearm, and was sentenced to four and a half years in prison.[2] After serving his sentence, he remained incarcerated pending an extradition request from California authorities.[13]

On many occasions we'd encounter individuals that when we ran their information, that driver that would have received a traffic citation or a shoplifter facing a misdemeanor citation or arrest turned out to be wanted on every type of violent crime up to murder. That's no excuse for the behavior described in this instance but the idea that the only criminal activity you find when you answer some low level criminal complaint is the call that brought you there isn't well informed.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus

Last edited by BStrong; 8th February 2018 at 12:54 AM.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 12:56 AM   #37
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

They may have stayed behind because the Sheriff didn't want any police cars being damaged. Dial can smash into any car that is in front of him or even alongside.
But he didn't. In the video there is actually a police car ahead of him I would say at least half the time, deliberately trying to slow him down by braking hard in front of him, or moving to block him when he tries to go around. Over and over again, he slows or attempts to dodge around rather than ramming the car ahead of him.

In fact, I don't think I saw a single moment in the video where he appeared to deliberately make contact with any of the police vehicles.

I saw cruisers on several occasions trying to do a PIT maneuver on his trailer for some reason - not sure why they thought that would actually stop the truck.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 12:59 AM   #38
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The article makes it sound like a laff riot, complete with banjo-playing. The video makes it clear that this was dead-serious stuff. The idea that this guy was unarmed is ridiculous--he was threatening cops and innocent bystanders with a couple thousand pounds of metal.

Land of cold social and economic Darwinism, even when they don’t actually believe in evilution.
Old 8th February 2018, 01:16 AM   #39
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Oh, that's fair enough. Shoplifting? Stolen number plates? The ********** deserved to be killed......

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 01:21 AM   #40
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Christ, they knew who he was and where he lived. Nab him later. Throw the book at him. Jail him for years (which would be excessive, but still). Just don't murder the guy. No prosecution? Piss off Tennessee. You have long been a laughing stock. Still well deserved.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events