ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th February 2018, 10:31 AM   #121
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I don't know enough about the actual facts to make a good decision based on something other than my feelings and news reports.

It's clear that you support lynching of accused persons w/o due process of law, but I'd prefer to have an investigation and adjudication before I get the rope out.
If you have nothing pertinent to add why post at all then?

They had their due process, the prosecutor thinks it was all good, and no one acted inappropriately like in all these shootings. You agree so why not just come out in favor of #bluecarsmatter?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 10:34 AM   #122
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Tbf, the cops would look awfully stupid if the guy hurt someone or committed another crime after they gave up on the chase.
And no one cares if they just result in people dying. The most important thing is to preserve the police authority no matter what risk it is to the public or what harm comes from it.

Frequently it is far safer to the public to abandon pursuit unless greater risks are known of.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 11:27 AM   #123
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I don't know enough about the actual facts to make a good decision based on something other than my feelings and news reports.

It's clear that you support lynching of accused persons w/o due process of law, but I'd prefer to have an investigation and adjudication before I get the rope out.
I'm using more evidence in wanting these disgusting cops thrown to the wolves than they used in killing Dial. Why do you think they deserve even more still?

Tbf, the cops would look awfully stupid if the guy hurt someone or committed another crime after they gave up on the chase.
No they wouldn't. They would simply cite the fundamental concept that cops are not obligated to act on behalf of the safety of any one.

That they trot this excuse out to try and justify their abuse and killing doesn't mean that it's valid either way.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 11:36 AM   #124
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

as far as End Zone celebrations go this one wasn't that bad
Old 12th February 2018, 03:15 PM   #125
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Why wouldn't they flatten the tires? I don't get that part.
Well, or let him drive away and put out a warrant to arrest him later, scrapping the Fury Road re-enactment, for public safety's sake.

The expression is: "Unnecessary escalation," and I was just as appalled at the fact they were admitting this car smashing technique was endangering the public - and that didn't deter them - so they decided to let bullets fly on top of all that.

It's not like he was fleeing an armed robbery. He was driving without a license.

Last edited by blutoski; 12th February 2018 at 03:16 PM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 05:46 AM   #126
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Well, or let him drive away and put out a warrant to arrest him later, scrapping the Fury Road re-enactment, for public safety's sake.

The expression is: "Unnecessary escalation," and I was just as appalled at the fact they were admitting this car smashing technique was endangering the public - and that didn't deter them - so they decided to let bullets fly on top of all that.

It's not like he was fleeing an armed robbery. He was driving without a license.
And refusing to obey police orders that always earns a shooting. In fact the famous pepper spray cop of UC Davis would probably still have a job if he simply executed the student protesters instead of pepper spraying them, because that is an acceptable response when you refuse to obey police orders.
Old 13th February 2018, 06:14 AM   #127
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And refusing to obey police orders that always earns a shooting. In fact the famous pepper spray cop of UC Davis would probably still have a job if he simply executed the student protesters instead of pepper spraying them, because that is an acceptable response when you refuse to obey police orders.

Or even when you comply with them.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 08:11 AM   #128
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Or even when you comply with them.
If you've put yourself in a situation where you are interacting with cops, then your life is forfeit.
Old 13th February 2018, 08:20 AM   #129
Belz...
Fiend God

You know, despite the fact that many of those incidents are reported and seen, and many more go unreported, I'm pretty sure that deadly shootings only involve a tiny percentage of interactions with the police.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 08:24 AM   #130
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You know, despite the fact that many of those incidents are reported and seen, and many more go unreported, I'm pretty sure that deadly shootings only involve a tiny percentage of interactions with the police.
That they don't kill everyone they meet is just a PR move. "We won't necessarily kill you, but we can!"
Old 13th February 2018, 08:30 AM   #131
Belz...
Fiend God

I'll take that as sarcasm.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 08:35 AM   #132
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'll take that as sarcasm.
Thanks ever so.

In reality, every interaction I've had with police, they have been professional and generally friendly. Even the time I had 5 officers with guns trained on me. I am glad I've never met one like those detailed in threads like this.
Old 13th February 2018, 10:03 AM   #133
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Thanks ever so.

In reality, every interaction I've had with police, they have been professional and generally friendly. Even the time I had 5 officers with guns trained on me. I am glad I've never met one like those detailed in threads like this.
I can say the same, well no guns pointed at me. Then again I have always been a middle class white guy. My wife coming from a lower class background has had different interactions with the police.
Old 13th February 2018, 10:23 AM   #134
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

I can say the same, well no guns pointed at me. Then again I have always been a middle class white guy. My wife coming from a lower class background has had different interactions with the police.
I too am a middle class (very) white guy. My wife and kids are (very) not. The same police handled a sensitive situation with my wife with equal professionalism, so I can't say they would've handled my situation differently were I a minority.

My wife had interactions with LAPD that were less than friendly back in the 80s and before, when rioting was a thing in South Central.
Old 13th February 2018, 01:49 PM   #135
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I was a middle class white kid, fifteen, when two cops beat me until I could no longer stand up on my own and then left me lying on the sidewalk when they realized they had just beaten the **** out of a fifteen year old.

My crime? I had "long" hair (which in that time and place meant over your collar), and was nearly two blocks from a WVU campus demonstration protesting the Kent State massacre and the on-campus presence of ROTC. The demonstration consisted of around 150 students and faculty (from both sides) holding an open public debate while five or ten times as many hostile observers watched.

At that time I had nothing to do with the protest. I had no knowledge of it at all.

There have been other incidents I have witnessed. None of which involved any provocation.

I give cops in general the same regard as I do a large, unleashed dog I don't know. They might not attack without provocation, but I'm not going to assume they are friendly, or even sane. (The fact that they are willing to take the job argues against the latter.)
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 02:52 AM   #136
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

They could have backed off, stayed just out of sight, and kept track of him with a helicopter (assuming they have one). Eventually he would have had to have stopped and then they could have arrested him. He'd have been less likely to hurt someone accidentally.
Old 14th February 2018, 04:08 AM   #137
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
They could have backed off, stayed just out of sight, and kept track of him with a helicopter (assuming they have one). Eventually he would have had to have stopped and then they could have arrested him. He'd have been less likely to hurt someone accidentally.
Where is the fun in that? The fun part is the chase. You can't tell other cops the great stories of how you broke off a chase because it was increasing danger to the public, they will just laugh at you
Old 14th February 2018, 05:34 AM   #138
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I was a middle class white kid, fifteen, when two cops beat me until I could no longer stand up on my own and then left me lying on the sidewalk when they realized they had just beaten the **** out of a fifteen year old.

My crime? I had "long" hair (which in that time and place meant over your collar), and was nearly two blocks from a WVU campus demonstration protesting the Kent State massacre and the on-campus presence of ROTC. The demonstration consisted of around 150 students and faculty (from both sides) holding an open public debate while five or ten times as many hostile observers watched.

At that time I had nothing to do with the protest. I had no knowledge of it at all.

There have been other incidents I have witnessed. None of which involved any provocation.

I give cops in general the same regard as I do a large, unleashed dog I don't know. They might not attack without provocation, but I'm not going to assume they are friendly, or even sane. (The fact that they are willing to take the job argues against the latter.)
That's horrible. I do not trust Police Scotland to be fair, honest and to properly conduct enquiries, but at least the chances of me getting a kicking are low and the chances of being shot miniscule.
Old 14th February 2018, 09:23 PM   #139
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The suspect was in a vehicle, and when deputies announced on the radio that they intended to ram his vehicle to end the chase, the sheriff overruled them and ordered the unarmed suspect killed because the sheriff didn't want to "tear up my cars":
Used to live in Tennessee, sorry they still have "police" like that, hope he comes to a soon and hard end!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 09:24 PM   #140
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
I sure hope they all go down as first degree, premeditated murder. All of 'em. They were all complicit and followed illegal orders. **** 'em gently with a chainsaw.
I like the way you think!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 09:53 PM   #141
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Exactly. A roadblock, anything but an ordered execution.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events