IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th February 2018, 03:24 PM   #41
fagin
Philosopher

As usual, no. But you knew that as well.
Old 12th February 2018, 10:41 AM   #42
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
'k

The website linked, and the 'adorable' bit was twitchy.com, not CNN, but you know that, don't you?
The twitchy post starts, right at the top, with a tweet from CNN. If you like, you can click on it and go straight to that same tweet in CNN's own feed.

Hopefully the fact that CNN actually published this is not really controversial.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 10:50 AM   #43
fagin
Philosopher

I saw the link, and actually read the CNN article. My points were that the twitchy.com site was unpleasant, that they used 'adorable', just like TBD likes to do (ie. in an insulting manner), and most important, nowhere on either page does it say that they are 'threatening' to leave, that was TBD's spin.

As I said in my post, leaving voluntarily is an option to being deported. Not a 'threat'.

But we won't comment any more on 'Knuckleheads, amiright?'
Old 12th February 2018, 10:52 AM   #44
The Big Dog

most important, nowhere on either page does it say that they are 'threatening' to leave, that was TBD's spin.'
headline:

Well … BYE: CNN frets because Dreamers ‘threaten’ to leave the US if DACA deal isn’t reached

so.... yeah....
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 02:28 PM   #45
fagin
Philosopher

Ok, my apologies - you didn't make up 'threatens', the twitchy website did. You just carried on espousing their bollocks. And rephrased it as 'threatening'.

The original CNN article, and the actual people reported on didn't use that term, or indeed, appear to be trying to express that intention.

Spin away....
Old 12th February 2018, 02:33 PM   #46
fagin
Philosopher

In fact, from the original, they seem resigned to the situation (note no use of threat in any form.)

Alex and Daniela Velez have come to peace with the difficult choice they will need to make if Congress doesn’t reach a deal for those covered by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program by its March 5 deadline: They will leave the country.

Effectively leave instead of either becoming illegal or getting deported.
Old 12th February 2018, 02:59 PM   #47
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

In fact, from the original, they seem resigned to the situation (note no use of threat in any form.)

Alex and Daniela Velez have come to peace with the difficult choice they will need to make if Congress doesn’t reach a deal for those covered by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program by its March 5 deadline: They will leave the country.

Effectively leave instead of either becoming illegal or getting deported.
Can't you feel the aggressive entitlement inherent in their abject resignation?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 12th February 2018 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Not clearly sarcastic enough.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 03:16 PM   #48
The Big Dog

Ok, my apologies - you didn't make up 'threatens', the twitchy website did. You just carried on espousing their bollocks. And rephrased it as 'threatening'.

The original CNN article, and the actual people reported on didn't use that term, or indeed, appear to be trying to express that intention.

Spin away....
"Espousing their bollocks."

The only bollocks is the claim that IF they don't get what they want THEN they are going to leave. Sounds like a threat to this actual person. Sure it is a *********** stupid threat and like the mutts who threatened to leave when Trump won, no one really expects them to do it.

But I am all for them making good on their word, and wish them a hearty:

Bye, Felicia.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 04:49 PM   #49
Kings Full
Critical Thinker

So, what they're (the dreamers) saying is:

"If you don't let us stay we'll leave"

Do I have that right?
Kings Full is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 04:49 PM   #50
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kings Full View Post
So, what they're (the dreamers) saying is:

"If you don't let us stay we'll leave"

Do I have that right?
Some of them, anyway.
Old 12th February 2018, 04:56 PM   #51
Kings Full
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Some of them, anyway.
Huh...

They seem to be about as smart as the people who threaten to leave the country if their candidate doesn't win.
Kings Full is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 05:20 PM   #52
fagin
Philosopher

Huh...

They seem to be about as smart as the people who threaten to leave the country if their candidate doesn't win.
One thing is not the same as the other.

See if you can work it out...
Old 12th February 2018, 05:28 PM   #53
Kings Full
Critical Thinker

One thing is not the same as the other.

See if you can work it out...
Ok. I'll try.

Angry people who support one party scream that they'll leave the country if their candidate doesn't win.

Angry illegal aliens scream they'll leave the country if we don't let them stay.

You know, you're right. They're not the same. But both are equally stupid and in the end only hurt their cause when reasonable people hear that nonsense.

How'd I do working it out?
Old 12th February 2018, 05:38 PM   #54
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

How'd I do working it out?
Rather poorly, but at least you're trying.

How does a reasonable person think less of the Dreamers who say they'll follow the law and leave the country if they're not allowed to stay? That seems like a very unreasonable thing to do, and not even close to people who threaten to leave if their political choice doesn't win as far as stupidity goes.

Spin it as 'angry and screaming' all you want, it doesn't make them similar. I'd characterize the Dreamers as sad, scared, and disappointed before 'angry screaming'. Plenty of those who support them staying though are very, very angry. This doesn't make them wrong or stupid.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 06:06 PM   #55
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I'm not sure why the dreamers want to do their dreaming in a sexist, misogynistic, homophobic country run by a racist anyways.

#adiosfelicia
Perhaps because no one "owns" this country, despite what some people believe.
Old 12th February 2018, 06:20 PM   #56
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Actually my interpretation was that you had completely failed to read the article.

They are not being thrown out, they are threatening to voluntarily leave.
Evidently you failed to completely read the article, because it's fairly apparent that the (one) Dreamer making the statement is not "threatening" anything, but simply acknowledging the fact that they will have to leave one way or another, and that they would prefer to do it voluntarily rather than live in fear until the day the Gestapo arrest them for not having papers whereupon they'll have to spend an indefinite and miserable amount of time imprisoned before being deported to some place not of their choosing and almost certainly without any assets.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 06:24 PM   #57
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Rather poorly, but at least you're trying.

How does a reasonable person think less of the Dreamers who say they'll follow the law and leave the country if they're not allowed to stay? That seems like a very unreasonable thing to do, and not even close to people who threaten to leave if their political choice doesn't win as far as stupidity goes.

Spin it as 'angry and screaming' all you want, it doesn't make them similar. I'd characterize the Dreamers as sad, scared, and disappointed before 'angry screaming'. Plenty of those who support them staying though are very, very angry. This doesn't make them wrong or stupid.
Well, there's your problem.

When someone equates "if this happens, my family will have to leave" as "threatening," you realize that logic has gone out the window, and political ideology and cognitive dissonance rule the day.
Old 12th February 2018, 06:24 PM   #58
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Perhaps because no one "owns" this country, despite what some people believe.
Probably the citizens that elect its government and enforce its borders would disagree.
Old 12th February 2018, 06:28 PM   #59
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Evidently you failed to completely read the article, because it's fairly apparent that the (one) Dreamer making the statement is not "threatening" anything, but simply acknowledging the fact that they will have to leave one way or another, and that they would prefer to do it voluntarily rather than live in fear until the day the Gestapo arrest them for not having papers whereupon they'll have to spend an indefinite and miserable amount of time imprisoned before being deported to some place not of their choosing and almost certainly without any assets.
Thank you for expressing it well in more words than I was willing to use on grumpy dog and his regal mate.

Last edited by fagin; 12th February 2018 at 06:31 PM.
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 06:29 PM   #60
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Well, also, if you leave on your own, you and your family can apply to come back as legal residents. If deported, most likely not.

A very convoluted legal knot. I knew an undocumented alien (from Mexico) who voluntarily contacted the INS, left voluntarily, and was allowed to come back 6 months later. I'm not exactly sure why these hoops were necessary; I can only assume that decades of immigration law produces such results.
Old 12th February 2018, 06:33 PM   #61
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Probably the citizens that elect its government and enforce its borders would disagree.
I believe in the Constitution and law.

The original question I replied to wondered why one would choose to remain in a country that one didn't like, similar to the moronic "America: Love It or Leave It."

Some people, despite whatever current government, love their country, consider it their home, and try to change it.

I'm sure many people of any political persuasion feel this way.
Old 12th February 2018, 06:36 PM   #62
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Haha oh wow.

Enforcing immigration law--something every nation does, and Canada and Mexico both stricter than the US--is now the same as being a Nazi.

Why should any citizen take your arguments seriously?
Old 12th February 2018, 06:39 PM   #63
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Haha oh wow.

Enforcing immigration law--something every nation does, and Canada and Mexico both stricter than the US--is now the same as being a Nazi.

Why should any citizen take your arguments seriously?
Because they understand hyperbole and are not simply desperately trying to dismiss the argument.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 06:41 PM   #64
fagin
Philosopher

Except these people came in as kids. Too young to actually break any laws.

The sins of the father...
Old 12th February 2018, 06:41 PM   #65
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Because they understand hyperbole and are not simply desperately trying to dismiss the argument.
The argument is that INS is equivalent to the Nazi political police. Are you *not* desperate to dismiss it?

Last edited by theprestige; 12th February 2018 at 06:43 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 06:52 PM   #66
The Big Dog

Actually my interpretation was that you had completely failed to read the article.

They are not being thrown out, they are threatening to voluntarily leave.

So... yeah
Taking out all the hysterical hyperbole shows you agreed with me.

Cool Godwin tho.
Old 12th February 2018, 07:25 PM   #67
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

My suggestion for a compromise:

4 year military enlistment/commission = citizenship upon honorable discharge.

Everyone wins.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 07:27 PM   #68
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

The argument is that INS is equivalent to the Nazi political police. Are you *not* desperate to dismiss it?
It is not the argument. You pick out the 'Gestapo' reference and focus on that and not literally the main point explaining why some would chose to leave rather than wait to be deported.

You're laying with dogs and getting fleas.
Old 12th February 2018, 07:29 PM   #69
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
My suggestion for a compromise:

4 year military enlistment/commission = citizenship upon honorable discharge.

Everyone wins.
Besides those who can't enlist or those who would have to leave productive jobs they already have (and their employers lose there too).
Old 12th February 2018, 07:32 PM   #70
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Besides those who can't enlist or those who would have to leave productive jobs they already have (and their employers lose there too).

Im not advising as the only solution, but it's the type of thing most people could get behind.

Bad knees? Back to guatemala.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 07:38 PM   #71
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Taking out all the hysterical hyperbole shows you agreed with me.

Cool Godwin tho.
At least you've downgraded your hyperbolic "threatening" to "voluntary."

Yes, they would rather leave voluntarily, rather than being arrested and deported. Makes perfectly logical sense.

Some people, including myself, object to the notion that children raised here, educated here, and a member of the US (IMO) should be deported to nations they barely remember.

Your contrary opinion is of course valid. But when one uses phrases like "Bye, Felicia!', it's somewhat laughable when that person also notes Godwinning.

Somewhat cringeworthy lack of self-awareness.

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 12th February 2018 at 07:39 PM.
TheGoldcountry is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 07:40 PM   #72
The Big Dog

It is not the argument. You pick out the 'Gestapo' reference and focus on that and not literally the main point explaining why some would chose to leave rather than wait to be deported.

You're laying with dogs and getting fleas.
I know right? How dare he quote the post.

Quoting someone’s Post is 8 times worse than Hitler.

Good catch
Old 12th February 2018, 07:50 PM   #73
The Big Dog

At least you've downgraded your hyperbolic "threatening" to "voluntary."

Yes, they would rather leave voluntarily, rather than being arrested and deported. Makes perfectly logical sense.

Some people, including myself, object to the notion that children raised here, educated here, and a member of the US (IMO) should be deported to nations they barely remember.

Your contrary opinion is of course valid. But when one uses phrases like "Bye, Felicia!', it's somewhat laughable when that person also notes Godwinning.

Somewhat cringeworthy lack of self-awareness.
That sound was the point flying over head. I said that the mopes in the CNN piece were “threatening” to “voluntarily” leave.

Although I cannot hide my glee at that you compared “Bye Felicia” to the “Gestapo.”

Hey Felicia..

Bye, bye, bye
Bye, bye...
Bye, bye...
Oh, oh.
Old 12th February 2018, 07:54 PM   #74
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Hitler.

Good catch

Thank you for agreeing with me. Now that you recognize the fallacious and intellectually dishonest way you've been engaging in the discussion, you can start to change it. Such growth takes character and courage. Congratulations.
Old 12th February 2018, 08:12 PM   #75
The Big Dog

Thank you for agreeing with me. Now that you recognize the fallacious and intellectually dishonest way you've been engaging in the discussion, you can start to change it. Such growth takes character and courage. Congratulations.
That is a holocaust level missing the point.
Old 12th February 2018, 08:31 PM   #76
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

That is a holocaust level missing the point.
At least now we know you are not a Christian.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:41 PM   #77
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

That sound was the point flying over head. I said that the mopes in the CNN piece were “threatening” to “voluntarily” leave.

Although I cannot hide my glee at that you compared “Bye Felicia” to the “Gestapo.”

Hey Felicia..

Bye, bye, bye
Bye, bye...
Bye, bye...
Oh, oh.
I wasn't comparing the level of hyperbole- both "Gestapo" and "Bye Felicia" are hyperbolic and distracting from the topic.

I was pointing out the hypocrisy (already pointed out by others) of not only engaging in the same activity as others, but also focusing on one word, while conveniently ignoring the substance of the post.

Not that this is anything new.
Old 12th February 2018, 08:52 PM   #78
The Big Dog

I wasn't comparing the level of hyperbole- both "Gestapo" and "Bye Felicia" are hyperbolic and distracting from the topic.

I was pointing out the hypocrisy (already pointed out by others) of not only engaging in the same activity as others, but also focusing on one word, while conveniently ignoring the substance of the post.

Not that this is anything new.
Bye Felicia is not hyperbolic, not in the slightest. It is a “dismissive kiss off “

But yeah we’ll totally stop pointing out that the thread was godwinned
Old 13th February 2018, 01:07 AM   #79
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I don't understand the obvious glee from the Trumpists in this thread about kicking out the Dreamers. Can it be interpreted as anything other than casual racism?

I mean, we already know they are at least ok with racism, given that they support Trump, but it's kind of harrowing to see it becoming more open like this.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 04:34 AM   #80
Parsman
Muse

Can we send people with bone spurs back to Germany? and could we back date it to the Vietnam era? Just wondering...

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics