ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th February 2018, 07:50 AM   #41
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
the irony of burning the amount of fuel and polluting with rockets that his vehicles have saved.
Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Negligible compared to what is burned in autos, fossil power plants, home heating, ships, even aircraft.
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
you may have missed the joke.
Oh, so that was that low-flying whooshing sound...

Originally Posted by Coveny View Post
SpaceX, plans to launch its Falcon 9 rockets every two to three weeks approximately 4,000 tonnes of carbon per year. Negligible isn't a word I would use.
I think itís a pretty good word. Thatís approximately .04% of global carbon output.

Now, I actually agree that we need to develop space elevators and mass drivers and whatnot to supplement rockets. I just donít see that SpaceX is delaying that. We wouldnít have these things sooner if SpaceX didnít exist; weíd just have more expensive rocket launches and a slower rate of space development.

We do need a sustained effort to push R&D of non-rocket access to space, but itís going to take a national effort; I canít see any commercial company spending all that money with relatively low chance of success, let alone profit, for a long time.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 09:15 AM   #42
cjameshuff
Thinker

I think itís a pretty good word. Thatís approximately .04% of global carbon output.
Hm? It's about 0.00001% of global output. 0.1 ppm. It's about 0.03% of what the US alone emits in a single day.

We're in agreement about the appropriateness of the term "negligible", though.
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 09:49 AM   #43
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Charming. Useless bilge, and the end of the conversation.
Really? NASA being reduced to renting seats on a '60s Soyuz is progress to you?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 09:51 AM   #44
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

What's hilarious here is that it doesn't matter how "clean" a rocket motor is, some people are going to be pissed: Half of the farmers in the country blamed all the STS launches for the unusually heavy rains that prevented harvest or flooded fields during their use.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 09:57 AM   #45
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

My Grandad blamed any bad weather on Sputnik and Apollo. Apparently English summers were all sunny, balmy days before they went up.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 10:32 AM   #46
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Charming. Useless bilge, and the end of the conversation.
I think it's fair to say that "Bollocks ... you'd be laughed out of the kindergarten" was a notch less than polite too.
Old 11th February 2018, 10:38 AM   #47
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
Plain fact. Global carbon emissions in 2017 were in the area of 37 billion metric tons.
I don't get MikeG's overreaction to your mostly correct post but one nitpick: 37 billion metric tons's of CO2, about 10 billion tons of carbon in that CO2 since CO2 is about 1/4 carbon by mass.

One random link from first page of google search.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 10:50 AM   #48
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
What's hilarious here is that it doesn't matter how "clean" a rocket motor is, some people are going to be pissed: Half of the farmers in the country blamed all the STS launches for the unusually heavy rains that prevented harvest or flooded fields during their use.
They tried to blame the Irish Potato Famine on telegraph wires.

There's just an unstoppable anti-technology bias in some people.
Old 11th February 2018, 11:13 AM   #49
cjameshuff
Thinker

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I don't get MikeG's overreaction to your mostly correct post but one nitpick: 37 billion metric tons's of CO2, about 10 billion tons of carbon in that CO2 since CO2 is about 1/4 carbon by mass.

One random link from first page of google search.
Good catch, I was assuming the "carbon" meant by the 4000 t figure was CO2.
At ~200 t of RP-1 per Falcon 9, it does work out as carbon: ~170 t of carbon, so 24 launches a year would be 4000 t of carbon, 15000 t of CO2.

That makes it 0.00004%, one part in 2.5 million of the whole. For the extra zeros, I'm guessing sts60 mixed up kg and metric tons.

Note also that my first post on the subject assumed Falcon Heavies were made of carbon dioxide and launched daily. "Negligible" was still an accurate way to describe it. Other good words are "insignificant", "unimportant", "inconsequential"...
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 12:04 PM   #50
RedPillNeo
Thinker

Thumbs down

Lifting a Tesla car to orbit is an obvious waste of lift capacity. That's my problem with it.

What else could have been taken to orbit with that shot? Another module or a metric crapton of supplies for the ISS? The first module of a new space station? A communication, imaging, or experimental satellite?

Why a terrestrial car that cannot possibly be used in space?
Old 11th February 2018, 12:12 PM   #51
Grashtel
Scholar

Originally Posted by RedPillNeo View Post
Lifting a Tesla car to orbit is an obvious waste of lift capacity. That's my problem with it.

What else could have been taken to orbit with that shot? Another module or a metric crapton of supplies for the ISS? The first module of a new space station? A communication, imaging, or experimental satellite?

Because its a test launch that was never intended to carry a real payload due to having too high a risk of failure so they instead sent something unimportant that wouldn't matter if it ended up spread across the Atlantic in teeny tiny pieces due to the rocket blowing up. The only way this differs from NASA's standard procedure for test launches is that they sent a car as the dummy payload rather than a block of concrete
Grashtel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 12:12 PM   #52
sts60
Master Poster

Because ISS supplies, or any satellite costing significant money, wonít be risked on the first flight of such a rocket. But I donít know why they didnít invite CubeSat type at-risk payloads or, even if they did.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 12:13 PM   #53
sts60
Master Poster

Good catch, I was assuming the "carbon" meant by the 4000 t figure was CO2.
At ~200 t of RP-1 per Falcon 9, it does work out as carbon: ~170 t of carbon, so 24 launches a year would be 4000 t of carbon, 15000 t of CO2.

That makes it 0.00004%, one part in 2.5 million of the whole. For the extra zeros, I'm guessing sts60 mixed up kg and metric tons.

Note also that my first post on the subject assumed Falcon Heavies were made of carbon dioxide and launched daily. "Negligible" was still an accurate way to describe it. Other good words are "insignificant", "unimportant", "inconsequential"...
I didnít mix it up. I just used some crappy wild-ass guesses for my numbers. Thanks for the catch.
Old 11th February 2018, 12:16 PM   #54
JesseCuster
Muse

It was a test flight. It wasn't meant for delivering satellites or supplies or anything else crucial that would be at risk in a test flight.

Quote:
It's no more or less useful than the ballast that's otherwise used in rocket test flights.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 11th February 2018 at 12:18 PM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 12:54 PM   #55
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Grashtel View Post
Because its a test launch that was never intended to carry a real payload due to having too high a risk of failure so they instead sent something unimportant that wouldn't matter if it ended up spread across the Atlantic in teeny tiny pieces due to the rocket blowing up. The only way this differs from NASA's standard procedure for test launches is that they sent a car as the dummy payload rather than a block of concrete
Boeing convinced satellite companies to put real payloads on the first two launches of its Delta III rocket. Both failed. They had a dummy on the third and last attempt. That rocket was considered a low-risk derivative of the Delta II. It blew up anyhow.
Old 11th February 2018, 01:31 PM   #56
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
It's no more or less useful than the ballast that's otherwise used in rocket test flights.
I got to argue for it being much more useful. How many ISF threads devoted to blocks of concrete?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 02:04 PM   #57
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I got to argue for it being much more useful. How many ISF threads devoted to blocks of concrete?
A big concrete teapot (mentioned upthread) would have been perfect
Old 11th February 2018, 03:31 PM   #58
crescent
Master Poster

The only thing better than a convertible sports car with an astronaut would have been a blue police box.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 03:59 PM   #59
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A Sperm Whale and a bowl of Petunias.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 04:31 PM   #60
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
A whale of a petunia and a bowl of... nah.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 10:22 PM   #61
Octavo
Illuminator

Don't be ridiculous. Of course it isn't absurd. Is space flight low carbon? Is it looking like becoming low carbon? Is Musk trying to make it low carbon? Given that the answers are no, no, and "has an aspiration sometime in the future to maybe hopefully possibly make it a bit lower carbon", I'm perfectly content to criticise the environmental impact of the space industry.
Musk has spoken publicly about in future generating the CH4 fuel via atmospheric extraction. This would make BFR carbon neutral from a propellant PoV. In fact, probably slightly negative, since a fair chunk of the fuel is expended in orbit.
Old 11th February 2018, 11:39 PM   #62
sts60
Master Poster

[Nitpick]On the way to orbit.[/Nitpick]
Old 11th February 2018, 11:52 PM   #63
Octavo
Illuminator

[Nitpick]On the way to orbit.[/Nitpick]
mmm... both. You're right on the Booster of course, but unless the SpaceShip is going to use a novel propulsion system, it's surely going to be doing TMI and TLI burns on orbit
Old 12th February 2018, 08:01 PM   #64
Coveny
Scholar

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
Citation please.

In conjunction with the adverb compared I don't see a problem, unless maths aren't your strong suit or you have difficulty understanding simple English.
http://theconversation.com/falcon-he...l-impact-91423

It's not a math issue it's a environmental consciousness issue. Some people think climate change is negligible others don't. (I'm in the former camp) As far as simple English you might want to look up something the Nirvana fallacy and Relative Privation fallacy. They might help you with your simple English issues.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWA...qbq14lsJZjr6GQ
Coveny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:06 PM   #65
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

http://theconversation.com/falcon-he...l-impact-91423

It's not a math issue it's a environmental consciousness issue. Some people think climate change is negligible others don't. (I'm in the former camp) As far as simple English you might want to look up something the Nirvana fallacy and Relative Privation fallacy. They might help you with your simple English issues.
Ah, vegan propaganda. OK then.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:07 PM   #66
Coveny
Scholar

When you say "other carbon is worse" you are using the Relative Privation fallacy. It's like saying Hitler killed millions so it's negligible to kill someone in comparison. Can you show me any single device, piece of equipment, or location that accounts for a non-negligible part of the climate change problem? I assume you guys will only be happy with 15 or 20%, otherwise why bother right?

If not lets admit that it's created by a lot of things that combine into a big problem and stop acting like unless it "fixes" it in one swoop then it's not worth doing. It's a process not a magic wand.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWA...qbq14lsJZjr6GQ
Coveny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 02:10 AM   #67
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

When you say "other carbon is worse" you are using the Relative Privation fallacy. It's like saying Hitler killed millions so it's negligible to kill someone in comparison. Can you show me any single device, piece of equipment, or location that accounts for a non-negligible part of the climate change problem? I assume you guys will only be happy with 15 or 20%, otherwise why bother right?

If not lets admit that it's created by a lot of things that combine into a big problem and stop acting like unless it "fixes" it in one swoop then it's not worth doing. It's a process not a magic wand.
So wait. If Musk used dumb concrete ballast as is commonly used on test flights you would have no complaint, right?

Old 13th February 2018, 02:36 AM   #68
3point14
Pi

FSecond, launch vehicles don't burn fossil fuels in enormous quantities. If SpaceX made the Falcon Heavy from pure carbon dioxide and launched one every day in 2017, it'd have been dwarfed 70000:1 by the carbon emissions from the rest of human activities. Musk's wildest Mars plans are less than a drop in the bucket of human carbon emissions.

I don't find this a convincing argument. Every single carbon emission event can be described like that.
Old 13th February 2018, 04:09 AM   #69
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Not again.
Old 13th February 2018, 05:19 AM   #70
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

I think sending a Tesla up was cool.

I also think "something" or things more useful could have been sent instead.
I'm sure if they asked, there would have been many volunteers willing to risk "something" for the chance of getting it into space to do something useful.

I like efficiency, this does not seem efficient.

Probably the publicity> more investment> faster progress. will more than surpass any lost efficiency in one launch, in the long run, dunno.

Last edited by Cheetah; 13th February 2018 at 05:28 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 05:44 AM   #71
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Every single carbon emission event can be described like that.
True. Every event is a drop in the already stressed bucket.

But how else can you do it, you have to decide if investing in space is worth the carbon it costs or not. We cannot really abandon space now, it's too late.
You have to consider how big a drop this is in comparison to all the other drops.
This drop is not directly related to the increasing human population and improving living standards and will probably not grow at close to the rate of drops that are, no matter how fast the number of launches increases. Spaceflight carbon might be totally swamped in the deluge.
It depends on the bigger picture.

Last edited by Cheetah; 13th February 2018 at 05:51 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 06:04 AM   #72
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
We have bio-diesel. Is it possible to crack and refine that into kerosene?
Sure you can synthesize rocket fuel from the very air, it just ends up being hugely uneconomical.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 06:05 AM   #73
cjameshuff
Thinker

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I don't find this a convincing argument. Every single carbon emission event can be described like that.
We're not talking about single carbon emission events, we're talking about the entire space launch industry.

By your argument, we all should stop breathing, since we emit carbon dioxide with every breath. This is not the Relative Privation fallacy, because this is not a binary issue, all carbon sources are not equal. You simply can not decrease carbon emissions in any meaningful way by focusing on insignificant sources, no matter how hard you try. If there were a million launches a year and you banned spaceflight altogether, all you'd accomplish is eliminating our ability to monitor climate via satellites.

Climate and spaceflight are both matters of physics. Math is exactly what this issue is about, and the numbers are completely unambiguous in what they say.
Old 13th February 2018, 06:07 AM   #74
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Obviously he should develop an electric rocket.
Well the only launch vehicle I remember being worked on that didn't use fossil fuels as Project Orion. And using nuclear bombs is likely a far far worse idea.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 06:12 AM   #75
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

What dummy payload would you suggest, cement blocks?
Old 13th February 2018, 06:14 AM   #76
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Because ISS supplies, or any satellite costing significant money, wonít be risked on the first flight of such a rocket. But I donít know why they didnít invite CubeSat type at-risk payloads or, even if they did.
What is that going to to by the asteroid belt? This was focused on putting a heavy load into high orbit not the best places for discount satellites.
Old 13th February 2018, 06:15 AM   #77
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
True. Every event is a drop in the already stressed bucket.

But how else can you do it, you have to decide if investing in space is worth the carbon it costs or not. We cannot really abandon space now, it's too late.
You have to consider how big a drop this is in comparison to all the other drops.
This drop is not directly related to the increasing human population and improving living standards and will probably not grow at close to the rate of drops that are, no matter how fast the number of launches increases. Spaceflight carbon might be totally swamped in the deluge.
It depends on the bigger picture.

I don't think it's about how big the drop is but what one achieves with the expenditure.

The 'it's a drop in the ocean' argument really doesn't stand up on its own, you can apply that to every single car or plane journey and every other carbon event.

The questions is "Is it worth it?"
Old 13th February 2018, 06:17 AM   #78
3point14
Pi

We're not talking about single carbon emission events, we're talking about the entire space launch industry.

By your argument...

I'm going to stop you right there. What argument, exactly? I'm intrigued to discover what you actually think my argument was.
Old 13th February 2018, 06:18 AM   #79
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
I think sending a Tesla up was cool.

I also think "something" or things more useful could have been sent instead.
Could they? Given the odds they would end up as so much space junk getting something out of earth orbit and into nowhere terribly interesting is a reasonable trajectory. This seems a bit like the sunk cost fallacy, the lift engine is a sunk cost, with a high failure chance, how much would you spend on what you want to put as the dummy payload?
Old 13th February 2018, 06:27 AM   #80
Octavo
Illuminator

Lori Garver (former Nasa bod) says that both the USAF and Nasa were offered a free ride on FH. Both declined. It's almost as if space hardware is expensive and time consuming to build. Also I'm sure that spacecraft integration studies, load path studies, etc. take no more than a few minutes to complete. And keeping a team of scientists on staff for the several years the spacecraft is in space to monitor and attend to it is probably *very* cheap these days.

Last edited by Octavo; 13th February 2018 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Spelling, typos, misquote etc. It was a mess before.
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology