IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Iowa politics , republicans , Steve King

Old 2nd June 2020, 09:46 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Steve King of Iowa is an Ex Congressman...

Steve Young, notorous bigot, has lost the GOP primary in his district.
Can't wait for the reacion from the other Steven King..the one in Maine,who has made alot of twitter posts about how angry he is being confused with the Kind of Iowa.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 10:16 PM   #2
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Steve! Or do! I'd enjoy seeing that!

*Parrot Mason's mask courtesy of alfaniner*
MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 10:43 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Can't wait for the reacion from the other Steven King..the one in Maine,who has made alot of twitter posts about how angry he is being confused with the Kind of Iowa.
Did you mean Steve King?

I hated that guy.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:07 AM   #4
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Steve! Or do! I'd enjoy seeing that!
They're going to hold a big going away party for him - there will be a big banner displayed That will read

"NICE TO SEE YA BACK !"

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 04:22 AM   #5
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
He has ceased to be a representative. He has expired and gone to meet his constituency. Bereft of mandate, he rests in retirement. His legislative processes are now history. HE IS AN EX-CONGRESSMAN.

Well, soon anyway,.
Old 3rd June 2020, 04:33 AM   #6
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

His opponent has criticized King for being an ineffective ally to Trump, citing that King has been removed from all committee positions. This is about as close as any Republican is going to get to denouncing white supremacy politics as we can expect.

Still a victory, but it really shows how poisoned the GOP is these days.
Old 3rd June 2020, 04:41 AM   #7
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Someone should kneel on his neck for 10 minutes.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 04:51 AM   #8
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Here's to fond memories of Steve King. Like the time Ken Klippenstein got him to thank Jack Nicholson for his noble service as a Marine

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/...32590709248000
Old 3rd June 2020, 05:43 AM   #9
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Believe it or not, I am actually a bit conflicted here.

Don't get me wrong... King is a racist scumbag who should not be any where near congress (or any other position of political authority). But, the Republicans are replacing him with someone who plans to be a trump ally (i.e he supports racism, he just won't be as blantant about it.) Plus he checks all the Republican boxes... Strong marks from NRA, anti-abortion.

At a time when the Republicans seem to be actually paying a price for their racism, turfing King allows them to clean up their image, without actually doing anything to actually fix the problem. I almost wish he stuck around so the democrats can use him to highlight problems with the Republicans. (Heck, I have read that the democrats had a chance of flipping his seat, but that is probably less likely now.)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 05:54 AM   #10
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Don't get me wrong... King is a racist scumbag who should not be any where near congress (or any other position of political authority). But, the Republicans are replacing him with someone who plans to be a trump ally (i.e he supports racism, he just won't be as blantant about it.) Plus he checks all the Republican boxes... Strong marks from NRA, anti-abortion.

At a time when the Republicans seem to be actually paying a price for their racism, turfing King allows them to clean up their image, without actually doing anything to actually fix the problem. I almost wish he stuck around so the democrats can use him to highlight problems with the Republicans. (Heck, I have read that the democrats had a chance of flipping his seat, but that is probably less likely now.)

I suspect the constituents know all too well that it was the crap King or this "other" crap King. This change was just the GOP trying to change horses too late.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 07:53 AM   #11
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

That's the impression I've been getting fro the reporting. It wasn't so much that King was a racist that got him in trouble. Hell, McCarthy was trying to get him back his committee seats. The fact is, he was too overt, which was making it harder to get their far-right agenda passed.

The current nominee's platform is essentially "I won't say the quiet parts out loud." What the Democrats should do is keep running all those clips of McCarthy and the Weakling praising King, showing how much his record aligned with the GOP and paint the new guy as some compromise with the Dems. Get the crazies riled up enough to get King to run as an independent and split the vote.
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:10 AM   #12
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The reason King got nommed out is because he is so overt that he was going to lose to a democrat in the fall.

So get someone with all the same beliefs but without Steve King's name and he will win again. That's what this is all about.

They weren't concerned about his policies and beliefs, they were scared he was going to lose and wouldn't be able to implement those policies and beliefs.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:57 AM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And he won't be an ex-congressman until January, when he becomes a Fox News commentator. (Probably)
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:34 AM   #14
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
That's the impression I've been getting fro the reporting. It wasn't so much that King was a racist that got him in trouble. Hell, McCarthy was trying to get him back his committee seats. The fact is, he was too overt, which was making it harder to get their far-right agenda passed.

The current nominee's platform is essentially "I won't say the quiet parts out loud." What the Democrats should do is keep running all those clips of McCarthy and the Weakling praising King, showing how much his record aligned with the GOP and paint the new guy as some compromise with the Dems. Get the crazies riled up enough to get King to run as an independent and split the vote.
I like your idea. And it is true- the Republicans abandoning King was for the same reasons they support Trump’s slime: to retain their political power. No morality involved.

But it is good to see the career of one racist ended ...

Last edited by Giordano; 3rd June 2020 at 10:35 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:37 AM   #15
carlitos
"más divertido"

I reported the OP. Ex-quarterback Steve Young did go to BYU, but calling him a bigot seems out of line.

As for Steve King, I hope that he gets shingles.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:50 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump: "Today I'm here to support Steve King. A special guy, a smart person with, really, the right views on almost everything."
Linky.
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:01 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump: "Today I'm here to support Steve King. A special guy, a smart person with, really, the right views on almost everything."
Linky.
And now it'd "Steve Who?'

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:02 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The other Stephen King...the one in Maine....must be happy he now longer has to explain he is not that Steve King...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:36 PM   #19
carlitos
"más divertido"

Steve King of Iowa will not cease to exist after this primary loss.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:37 PM   #20
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's also important to note that Steve King did not lose primary because he is racist.

He lost it because he was no longer an effective racist.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 3rd June 2020 at 01:27 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:51 PM   #21
StillSleepy
Muse

Meanwhile, in Maine

Quote:
I hope he never makes it back into Congress, he was a blight upon my old home state.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:24 PM   #22
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I'm a Joe Montana guy myself.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:25 PM   #23
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's also important to note that Steve King did not lose primary because he is racists.

He lost it because he was no longer an effect racist.

Sadly all too true.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:30 PM   #24
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I'm a Joe Montana guy myself.

Me too. These mobile, running quarterbacks are a trend that will never last.
Old 3rd June 2020, 04:40 PM   #25
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Me too. These mobile, running quarterbacks are a trend that will never last.
As a lifelong Niners fan, Montany is pretty much my Football god.
Being a niners fan is why I made the Young slip.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 3rd June 2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 3rd June 2020, 04:42 PM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And some more good news:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...am/3138433001/

Hoping for a trifect of bigotry and racism getting it in the neck...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd June 2020, 05:53 PM   #27
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And some more good news:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...am/3138433001/

Hoping for a trifect of bigotry and racism getting it in the neck...
Good. Put it in a museum.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 06:03 PM   #28
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Good. Put it in a museum.
And put a statue of the guy in my Avatar in it's place...

Amazes me that Trump has such hots for Confederates Generals, since there Losers if ever there were any.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd June 2020, 06:05 PM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Military enforcing civil law..worked out great for Britian in Boston.......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd June 2020, 06:24 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Military enforcing civil law..worked out great for Britian in Boston.......
I dunno. Worked great for China at Tienanmen Square.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 06:58 AM   #31
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

By the way.. the Republican primary involved wide-spread adoption of vote-by-mail (with roughly 50000 votes cast that way, more than 10 times the number in the last primary.)

Wonder if we will hear anything about that from stubby Mcbonespurs. (Be a great question to ask at a press conference... "President... You complained about fraud in vote by mail... Do you think king deserves to still be the nominee?")

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 07:40 AM   #32
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Wait a second.

In the Trump thread he retweeted that he is 64-0 on candidates he supported winning.

Trump supported King. King lost.

How do we reconcile this?
Old 4th June 2020, 07:46 AM   #33
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Wait a second.

In the Trump thread he retweeted that he is 64-0 on candidates he supported winning.

I thought he stayed silent.

ETA: Not to say the 64-0 thing isn't a lie.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 07:51 AM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You need to realize that when Trump says one thing and then either says the exact opposite or the exact opposite happens he somehow gets both sides to agree with him if they were already on his side.

When Trump says "Manhattan is the better Clam Chowder!" at one rally and then says "New England is the better Clam Chowder!" a day later and liberals are jumping up and down going "He's a hypocrite! He contradicted himself! Why isn't anyone mad about this!" what is happening is as long as they were already on his side or inclined to to agree with him Trump got... about 75% of the Manhattan Clam Chowder Supporters and about 75% of New England Clam Chowder Supporters to think he is supporting them instead of sacrificing it for 100% of one and 0% of the other.

It's the advantage of talking to people who already agree with you. People really to understand that Trump supporters listen to Trump until he says something they agree with/want to hear... and then they stop listening so they don't care if he says something alternative or even outright contradictory later.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 4th June 2020 at 07:53 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 08:06 AM   #35
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You need to realize that when Trump says one thing and then either says the exact opposite or the exact opposite happens he somehow gets both sides to agree with him if they were already on his side.

When Trump says "Manhattan is the better Clam Chowder!" at one rally and then says "New England is the better Clam Chowder!" a day later and liberals are jumping up and down going "He's a hypocrite! He contradicted himself! Why isn't anyone mad about this!" what is happening is as long as they were already on his side or inclined to to agree with him Trump got... about 75% of the Manhattan Clam Chowder Supporters and about 75% of New England Clam Chowder Supporters to think he is supporting them instead of sacrificing it for 100% of one and 0% of the other.

It's the advantage of talking to people who already agree with you. People really to understand that Trump supporters listen to Trump until he says something they agree with/want to hear... and then they stop listening so they don't care if he says something alternative or even outright contradictory later.
Kind of like the Clever Hans effect.
Old 4th June 2020, 09:02 AM   #36
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Wait a second.

He supported King in the previous general election, but not in this primary.
Old 4th June 2020, 10:51 AM   #37
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I thought he stayed silent.

ETA: Not to say the 64-0 thing isn't a lie.

Unsurprisingly, it is a lie: Recall that Trump supported Roy Moore in Alabama's 2017 special election, which Moore lost.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 11:22 AM   #38
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Unsurprisingly, it is a lie: Recall that Trump supported Roy Moore in Alabama's 2017 special election, which Moore lost.
And, from the midterms on, the answer is:

Trump Endorsed: 75
Won election:42

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgo...-election-day/
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 11:28 AM   #39
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
That clearly doesn't count because Trump supported Moore's primary opponent Luther Strange before Trump supported Moore.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 11:32 AM   #40
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Wait a second.

The same way we reconcile his lie that he gave Mattis the nickname "Mad Dog": we just roll our eyes and add it to his long, long, long list of lies.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics