ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th May 2020, 07:45 PM   #1961
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Problem solved!
Old 25th May 2020, 08:07 PM   #1962
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
I provide tech support mainly through email for a product that I develop. Here is the all too common scenario:

- User reports a problem.

I ask three simple questions, the answers to which will almost certainly identify the cause.

- Two days later, user answers question one only.

I repeat questions two and three.

- One week later, user answers question two only.

I repeat question three.

- User is never heard from again.
That's sort of how I handle tech questions from my sister. Instead of replying immediately with all sorts of triage questions, I just wait a few hours and she has somehow resolved it by then.

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Yeah, it's in the custom install options. This is a 3rd party vendor option, opinion is divided.
https://i2-prod.dublinlive.ie/incomi...-sharpener.jpg
That's a great word, but I don't think I can submit it to the "new and obscure words" thread because it's a foreign word.
Old 25th May 2020, 08:13 PM   #1963
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
I provide tech support mainly through email for a product that I develop. Here is the all too common scenario:

- User reports a problem.

I ask three simple questions, the answers to which will almost certainly identify the cause.

- Two days later, user answers question one only.

I repeat questions two and three.

- One week later, user answers question two only.

I repeat question three.

- User is never heard from again.

The pressure sounds monstrous.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 09:52 PM   #1964
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
The pressure sounds monstrous.
Sure. Sometimes I do want to know the answer though, as it may affect others.

The main thing is that it is weird. I suspect that most of the people fully answering are sitting at a computer, and most of those not doing so are using a phone.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 10:16 AM   #1965
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Well, today I had to call my company's general Help Desk. My phone's software forced me to upgrade it this weekend, and as a result one layer of the required security app stopped working so now I can't get work email on my phone. So I called the Help Desk, who are not qualified or expected to help with that but are supposed to transfer callers to the people who can. Apparently the problem sounded just too horrible to contemplate, because the guy simply hung up on me when I explained the problem. I guess I'll try another day. I don't even want work email on my phone, but the company pays me an extra $40 a month if I do have it there.
Old 26th May 2020, 10:28 PM   #1966
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Heh. There are a bunch of reasons that I've hung up on someone, but none of them were deliberate. The latest was when I was explaining to someone how to turn off the wifi on their laptop and reconnect, so of course I was following along as I was explaining it...

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 12:33 AM   #1967
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Heh. There are a bunch of reasons that I've hung up on someone, but none of them were deliberate. The latest was when I was explaining to someone how to turn off the wifi on their laptop and reconnect, so of course I was following along as I was explaining it...
Change to VOI internal telephone system, company network goes down, no one can contact the IT department, yes it actually happened in a company with over 20,000 staff. Who would have thought eh?
Old 27th May 2020, 12:44 AM   #1968
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Change to VOI internal telephone system, company network goes down, no one can contact the IT department, yes it actually happened in a company with over 20,000 staff. Who would have thought eh?
Yep, I've lived through one of those too. We're entirely VOIP, and when working from home using Direct Access. I drop off the corporate network fairly regularly, the last time about five minutes ago - though I don't think it's happened while I was actually on a call.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 09:37 AM   #1969
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Well, today I had to call my company's general Help Desk. My phone's software forced me to upgrade it this weekend, and as a result one layer of the required security app stopped working so now I can't get work email on my phone. So I called the Help Desk, who are not qualified or expected to help with that but are supposed to transfer callers to the people who can. Apparently the problem sounded just too horrible to contemplate, because the guy simply hung up on me when I explained the problem. I guess I'll try another day. I don't even want work email on my phone, but the company pays me an extra $40 a month if I do have it there.
I had that happen when I had a call scheduled for before work hours on a Monday, except it wasn't a forced update. The other attorney on the call didn't update their phone because it was a known issue with their security system that updates caused it to trip until IT figured out a solution in a day or two. Being new to the system, I updated the app as I went to bed and woke up to take a call that I couldn't get into because all of the call info was in my inaccessible email. I drove to the office and got there for just enough of the call to hear the other attorney throwing me under the bus. My "thanks" was met with silence. We never really got along after that.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 06:23 AM   #1970
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm really tired of having to explain to people that no, I can't get data out of a database if nobody put that data into the database to begin with. "But but but they need those codes!!!" Okay, then, put those codes in there. Or maybe if you pray hard enough God will do it for you, then I can return the results on the query. "Dear God, please enter the taxonomy codes for a hundred thousand providers, including ones not even with our company, by tomorrow. Thanks! Also update some LOINCs we're missing."
Old 28th May 2020, 07:54 AM   #1971
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Ah yes the "My job is very, very important...but only in the context of it means other people should stop on a dime to pull miracles out of their asses to support it / make it easier, never in the sense that I should have to work hard at it" mentality. I know it well,
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 12:53 PM   #1972
catsmate
No longer the 1

Good news. I actually got the opportunity to do some one-on-one training for this guy tonight.
Did you need the roll of carpet?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 10:16 PM   #1973
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Did you need the roll of carpet?
No, but he had some surprising gaps in his knowledge.

And after months of not even thinking about it, I had to tell two T1s today how to use Powershell to publish an App-V app.

- Randall Munroe
Old 29th May 2020, 01:27 AM   #1974
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Being asked about the specifics of a fix for a problem I was called out for. No, I was the mug trying to apply sicking plasters to the problem all around midnight, it was your guys who caused the problem and "fixed" it
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2020, 08:13 PM   #1975
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Anyone else her had to manage VoIP using Cisco Unity?

Everyone here agrees that VoIP tasks are the worst.

- Randall Munroe
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:43 PM   #1976
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I think CNN is using Cisco Webex for almost all their remote interviews (because the marquee says so) and it looks like a POS. Massive pixellation, constant loss of signal -- they must have signed a low-bid contract or something.
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM   #1977
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Anyone else her had to manage VoIP using Cisco Unity?
The banes of my existence, in rough order:

1. Windows Distributed File Systems
2. Bitlocker
3. Cisco Unity
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM   #1978
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

2. Bitlocker
3. Cisco Unity
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #1979
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

2. Bitlocker
3. Cisco Unity
I... can't really disagree with that list.

For those not in the know, Cisco Unity is one of the worst pieces of software ever to drive a technician to insanity. The process of allocating Lines and Speed Dials is an eldritch nightmare requiring equal parts complex analytical problem solving and repetitive copy-pasting.

I believe my older brother still works for Cisco. I'm going to rag on him so hard next time I see him.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #1980
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

2. Bitlocker
3. Cisco Unity
I notice the first two are Microsoft products. However that may say more to the ubiquity of Windows in the business environments than the quality of the software itself.

From what I've seen of Bitlocker, mostly from people posting comments about it, it's actually well designed and fit for its purpose, namely providing a solid encryption environment for Windows. Please feel free to correct me on this!
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; Yesterday at 07:10 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #1981
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I notice the first two are Microsoft products. However that may say more to the ubiquity of Windows in the business environments than the quality of the software itself.

From what I've seen of Bitlocker, mostly from people posting comments about it, it's actually well designed and fit for its purpose, namely providing a solid encryption environment for Windows. Please feel free to correct me on this!
That's the intent, yes. But problems occur when the software incorrectly identifies an activity as a potential hacking attempt and locks the computer down. And then they have to call us. We generate an unlock code which is a 48-digit number that we have to read out over the phone, and they have to enter correctly.

This happens on a regular basis. There are times when we've pushed out software updates, and Bitlocker freaks out, resulting in a ton of calls to the Service Desk. At those times it gets quite surreal, with many operators constantly and simultaneously droning out random sequences of numbers.

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet