IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:39 PM   #1761
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Not necessary. A reasonable read of the collective conservative mind can be had by going to various conservative sites and see how they're handling this. The American Conservative reflects moderate Republicans and is worth looking at (it's the only conservative site I have bookmarked). Or VERY conservative but not quite bat-crap crazy is Townhall. Of course the biggest conservative aggregator is DrudgeReport. I went to all three and none have the picture from Trump's photo-op. That says A LOT to me, mostly that they know it was a loser. You could go to loony-tunes sites like Breitbart but I refuse to go there and even refuse to provide a link.
Been to Drudge lately? They are no longer friends of Trump. I actually saw a Townhall column a few weeks ago titled something like "What happened to Drudge?" (It may have even been "What the hell happened to Drudge?" I don't remember exactly.) It was on the Drudge Report that I found the George Will column I mentioned earlier, and there's another one tonight. However, the center headline in the big font has three different stories about General Mattis calling Trump a threat to the constitution.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:25 PM   #1762
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Winston has his faults..many of them..but cowardice was never one of them. and despite his flaws, he was the leader the UK needed in 1940.
I was going to say something like this, but probably not as well or concisely. Churchill loved America but would have absolutely detested Donald Trump.
Dragon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:35 PM   #1763
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Are we, at last, at the tipping point where the Republicans who were holding their noses are going to turn on Trump?
It is remarkable that it was the killing of one black man by police officers that triggered this situation.
Dragon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:41 PM   #1764
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Of course he likes black colleges... it keeps black thugs away from the pure and innocent white students.

Who get in line trying for minority set-asides and tuition discounts at those HBCUs

Here's a group photo from a recent NCCU (historically black university) School of Law Law Review.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 3rd June 2020 at 11:50 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:42 PM   #1765
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Are we, at last, at the tipping point where the Republicans who were holding their noses are going to turn on Trump?
It is remarkable that it was the killing of one black man by police officers that triggered this situation.
Not even close. Give it a week and most of them will be back on side.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:59 PM   #1766
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Unlike Esper who just tried life as a vertebrate and found that he didn't like it, some in the administration actually have a spine.

Of course, this guy was at the DOD during Obama, so he's probably a communist muslim Antifa member.
Old 4th June 2020, 01:03 AM   #1767
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Esper claimed he had “no idea” what Trump was planning when he led them from the White House to St. John’s Church.

What a crock of ******
Imagine if you worked in the White House and an aide walked into your office and said, “The President is planning to walk 1600 feet to St. John’s and he wants you to join him.” Would your response be

A) quit making jokes and get out of here, I have work to do.

B) I’ve got nothing to do. I guess I’ll go with and not ask why Donald Trump is walking ... to a church ... on a day with protests all over town. . Nope, no reason to suspect this is another of the dozens of wacky ideas that will end with late-night comedians making jokes for a week.

Last edited by Ladewig; 4th June 2020 at 01:20 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 01:17 AM   #1768
3point14
Pi

Putin's going to have to give Trump a bonus at this rate. Not in his wildest dreams did the Russian premier believe agent Trump could destroy America so quickly and completely.

That's the trouble with allowing vast sums of money into politics, your enemies can print it too, and even quite poor countries can make a man personally very wealthy.

Agent Trump is making Agent Johnson look bad, I think...

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 01:36 AM   #1769
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump’s expression

In “Let’s Make Love” (1960), a billionaire tells a lame joke to his board of directors and they fall over each other laughing. He tells the same joke to folks who don’t know he is a billionaire and no one smiles.

I think that’s what happened with Trump’s I’m-holding-a-Bible expression. He has seen people quiver with fear when he makes that expression to employees, but if he made that expression in a bar where no one knew him, not a single person would look a him and think, “now there’s a strong person that I don’t want to mess with.”
Old 4th June 2020, 01:56 AM   #1770
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

In the sense of the straw that broke the camel's back, maybe.

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Not even close. Give it a week and most of them will be back on side.
With the overwhelming majority of Republican leaders hiding from expressing any opinion all along.
Old 4th June 2020, 02:17 AM   #1771
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Probably the only thing Barack Obama & I have in common is that we both had the honor of firing Jim Mattis, the world’s most overrated General. I asked for his letter of resignation, & felt great about it. His nickname was “Chaos”, which I didn’t like, & changed to “Mad Dog”...

...His primary strength was not military, but rather personal public relations. I gave him a new life, things to do, and battles to win, but he seldom “brought home the bacon”. I didn’t like his “leadership” style or much else about him, and many others agree. Glad he is gone!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 02:19 AM   #1772
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I feel more and more confident that our economy is in the early stages of coming back very strong. Not everyone agrees with me, but I have little doubt. Watch for September, October, November. Next year will be one of the best ever, and look at the Stock Market NOW!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 02:20 AM   #1773
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Kayleigh McEnany
@PressSec
Former Secretary Mattis’ “article” is little more than a self-promotional stunt to appease the DC elite.
President @realDonaldTrump is the law and order President that has restored peace to our nation’s streets.
Mattis’ small words pale in comparison to @POTUS’ strong action.

Under President @realDonaldTrump's leadership, there will be NO burning of churches, looting of businesses, destruction of property, and assaults on civilians and police.
America will unite in LAW AND ORDER!

The Rod Rosenstein hearing made it very clear that there was an illegal coup taking place that President @realDonaldTrump was able to figure out, long before anyone else.
President Trump caught them in the act, attempting to overturn the will of the American People.
Old 4th June 2020, 02:22 AM   #1774
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

They spied on the Trump Campaign, and got caught!!!
Quote Tweet

The Hill
@thehill
Rosenstein says, in retrospect, he would not have signed Page warrant application http://hill.cm/Wj1rr4s
Old 4th June 2020, 02:23 AM   #1775
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

FBI & DOJ had NO EVIDENCE to start an investigation against President Trump. @FoxNews “These are people with subversive actions and outright lies. They doctored documents.” @jasoninthehouse Now proven conclusively that this was the political crime of the century!
Old 4th June 2020, 02:24 AM   #1776
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Ronna McDaniel
@GOPChairwoman
With Tuesday’s victories, @realDonaldTrump is now 64-0 in primary and special election endorsements this cycle.
If you think the energy and enthusiasm on our side is strong now, wait until “Donald J. Trump” himself is on the ballot in November!
Old 4th June 2020, 02:25 AM   #1777
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted
Team Trump (Text TRUMP to 88022)
@TeamTrump

President @realDonaldTrump:
"Liberal Mayors and Governors are weak on crime"
"Next year’s economy will be phenomenal, unless Joe Biden wins and raises everybody’s taxes"
Trump on Joe Biden calling to end systemic racism: "He's been in Washington for 43 years, why hasn’t he done anything about it?"
Old 4th June 2020, 02:28 AM   #1778
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Brad Parscale
@parscale
64-0. That’s the record of federal candidates in primaries or special elections after they’ve been endorsed by @realDonaldTrump this cycle.
Undefeated. Unprecedented.
The enthusiasm is real and it is with President Trump.

The White House
@WhiteHouse
President @realDonaldTrump "is the leader that can finally lead to the change and action so many in my community have been pleading for," Paris Dennard writes. "The route to justice is long, but with President Trump, the train is moving fast."
Old 4th June 2020, 02:29 AM   #1779
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Great job Ted. Country is proud of you!!!
Quote Tweet

Ronna McDaniel
@GOPChairwoman
@TedCruz completely exposes how Barack Obama and Joe Biden “unleashed, weaponized, and politicized the Department of Justice, the FBI, and the Intelligence Community” to go after @realDonaldTrump.
Old 4th June 2020, 03:00 AM   #1780
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Retweets

Kayleigh McEnany
@PressSec
Former Secretary Mattis’ “article” is little more than a self-promotional stunt to appease the DC elite.
President @realDonaldTrump is the law and order President that has restored peace to our nation’s streets.

Under President @realDonaldTrump's leadership, there will be NO burning of churches, looting of businesses, destruction of property, and assaults on civilians and police.

The Rod Rosenstein hearing made it very clear that there was an illegal coup taking place that President @realDonaldTrump was able to figure out, long before anyone else.
President Trump caught them in the act, attempting to overturn the will of the American People.
Who are the DC elite?
What would have happened if they had not been appeased?

When he says there will be NO assaults on civilians, he’s not talking about police reform, is he?

ETA
If we pass a proclamation that Not only says that President Trump’s penis is the biggest, most perfect, most beautiful penis in the history of penises, but also says President Obama”s penis is the smallest, least beautiful, least perfect penis, then can we get him to stop saying, “and I figured this out long before anyone else figured it out”?

Last edited by Ladewig; 4th June 2020 at 03:10 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 03:31 AM   #1781
dann
Penultimate Amazing

You can't go soft on these people. The only way to handle Trump and his Republican thugs is to dominate them. Dominate them thoroughly. Dominate them whenever they stick their ugly heads out.

ETA:
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (June 4, 2020):
GOP Senators Speak Out After Trump Gasses U.S. Citizens (1 min.)
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 4th June 2020 at 04:16 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 03:34 AM   #1782
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Trump’s expression

In “Let’s Make Love” (1960), a billionaire tells a lame joke to his board of directors and they fall over each other laughing. He tells the same joke to folks who don’t know he is a billionaire and no one smiles.

I think that’s what happened with Trump’s I’m-holding-a-Bible expression. He has seen people quiver with fear when he makes that expression to employees, but if he made that expression in a bar where no one knew him, not a single person would look a him and think, “now there’s a strong person that I don’t want to mess with.”
In fact, they might think, "What a maroon, let's throw a 'alf-brick at 'im!"

Hans
Old 4th June 2020, 03:35 AM   #1783
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Who are the DC elite?
Billionaire families living on Pennsylvania avenue?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 03:35 AM   #1784
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
In fact, they might think, "What a maroon, let's throw a 'alf-brick at 'im!"

Hans
More likely, they'd laugh at a fat old guy trying to look tough.
Old 4th June 2020, 03:35 AM   #1785
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Unlike Esper who just tried life as a vertebrate and found that he didn't like it, some in the administration actually have a spine.

Of course, this guy was at the DOD during Obama, so he's probably a communist muslim Antifa member.

Nope, not one of ours. He appeared to be more than willing to participate in Trump's photo op.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 03:36 AM   #1786
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Kayleigh McEnany
@PressSec

I'm reminded of "Mad Ali" of the Iraq war.

Hans
Old 4th June 2020, 04:53 AM   #1787
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Fake Newspaper!
Quote Tweet

Trump War Room - Text TRUMP to 88022 & get the APP
After left-wing criticism, the New York Times bowed to the Biden campaign and changed their headline about President Trump's pledge to end chaos plaguing Democrat-run cities!
Old 4th June 2020, 04:55 AM   #1788
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I'm reminded of "Mad Ali" of the Iraq war.

Hans
You mean “Comical Ali”?
Old 4th June 2020, 04:56 AM   #1789
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

LAW & ORDER!
Old 4th June 2020, 04:59 AM   #1790
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Did you know:Race discrimination charges filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission just reached 25-year high of 35,890
Just kidding.
That happened in 2010 under Barack Obama & Joe Biden.
Why didn't the mainstream media blame them for "systemic" racism then?

If "White Privilege" existed, why did Elizabeth Warren have to lie about being a Native American to get ahead in life?

Four police officers were shot in St. Louis on Tuesday
And every single rioter and looter who destroyed the city that night was just released from jail thanks to the Democrats in charge
This is an outrage.
Why do Democrats not care about our police officers' safety?

Did you know:
Over 400 violent looters arrested in New York City are set to be immediately let back out on the streets thanks to Democrat policies
The left is actively working to make America LESS safe
President Trump is working to secure it
Remember that in November.

Joe Biden—44 years in office
Chuck Schumer—39 years in office
Nancy Pelosi—33 years in office
Maxine Waters—29 years in office
Dianne Feinstein—28 years in office
If America is such a "systemically racist" country
...Why haven't these Democrats done anything to fix it?
Old 4th June 2020, 05:01 AM   #1791
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Obama will go down as one of the worst Presidents in American history.
Old 4th June 2020, 05:02 AM   #1792
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

No. Roger was a victim of a corrupt and illegal Witch Hunt, one which will go down as the greatest political crime in history. He can sleep well at night!
Quote Tweet

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Never forget:
Roger Stone will serve more time in prison than 99% of these rioters destroying America
All because he supports Donald Trump.
This isn’t justice.
RT for a full pardon of Roger Stone!
Old 4th June 2020, 05:03 AM   #1793
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Donald Trump Jr.
@DonaldJTrumpJr

Joe China. #BeijingBiden
Old 4th June 2020, 05:05 AM   #1794
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Kayleigh McEnany
@PressSec

WTF does she think has been happening the last week or so? And on whose watch?
Old 4th June 2020, 05:08 AM   #1795
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

No. Roger was a victim of a corrupt and illegal Witch Hunt, one which will go down as the greatest political crime in history. He can sleep well at night!
Quote Tweet

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Never forget:
Roger Stone will serve more time in prison than 99% of these rioters destroying America
All because he supports Donald Trump.
This isn’t justice.
RT for a full pardon of Roger Stone!
Now we know the next crony he's bailing out of the clink.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 05:10 AM   #1796
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Trump Tweets

Probably the only thing Barack Obama & I have in common is that we both had the honor of firing Jim Mattis, the world’s most overrated General. I asked for his letter of resignation, & felt great about it. His nickname was “Chaos”, which I didn’t like, & changed to “Mad Dog”...

...His primary strength was not military, but rather personal public relations. I gave him a new life, things to do, and battles to win, but he seldom “brought home the bacon”. I didn’t like his “leadership” style or much else about him, and many others agree. Glad he is gone!

He is just so predictable.

I watched this last night on CNN, and knew Anderson Cooper was correct. Like clockwork, Trump completely reverses himself, and claims the man he used to praise was never any good.
Old 4th June 2020, 05:11 AM   #1797
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Mueller should have never been appointed, although he did prove that I must be the most honest man in America!
Old 4th June 2020, 05:12 AM   #1798
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
These attempts to retroactively deny fully-documented reality by inventing transparent lies are fascinating. Why do they bother? Their followers didn’t believe reality the first time through and everyone else see the retrofits as embarrassing lies. Trump didn’t shelter in the bunker; he was only inspecting it... several times? Come on.

It’s bad enough to say your dog ate your homework. It’s just infinitely stupid to claim your unicorn did.
It's a demonstration of power. Trump openly lies because he can openly lie with no consequences. The result is despair in those who oppose him. It's fascism 101.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 05:15 AM   #1799
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Trump Tweets

I can't find that on his Twitter feed. Has it been taken down?

Caveat - I am Twitter ignorant so may just be being a numpty.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 05:21 AM   #1800
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think a great may Black voters bitterly regret not voting in 2016.
Don't put this on black voters. George Floyd would be just as dead under Hillary Clinton. Trump didn't kill him. He simply made everything that followed worse.

Not to speak for African Americans, but I gather they have had a rough time for quite a while - some hundreds of years. What has become apparent for the rest of us now when it comes to police violence has been apparent for them for a long time.

As I believe Mumble's usually puts it: "We [they] told you so".

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics