IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 29th July 2017, 09:05 AM   #1
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

White House Survivor

Who will get fired / forced out next?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29th July 2017, 09:06 AM   #2
NoahFence
Banned

Mooch
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2017, 09:13 AM   #3
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Trump... but in all seriousness, I will take Sessions or Tillerson for the win.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2017, 09:20 AM   #4
seayakin
Graduate Poster

My money is on Tillerson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29th July 2017, 09:22 AM   #5
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Trump... but in all seriousness, I will take Sessions or Tillerson for the win.
Definitely NOT taking Sessions. Turns out that the GOP Congress are arranging that Congress will technically not go on summer recess and are refusing to hold any confirmation hearings for a new AG this year.
Old 29th July 2017, 09:22 AM   #6
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Are we making a distinction among forced out, fired, and quit in disgust?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2017, 09:23 AM   #7
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Definitely NOT taking Sessions. Turns out that the GOP Congress are arranging that Congress will technically not go on summer recess and are refusing to hold any confirmation hearings for a new AG this year.
Daaamn! News to me! thanks. Link?
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2017, 09:42 AM   #8
seayakin
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

I think officially they will all resign. I think we can figure out who resigns or is forced out but it might be more difficult to identify those who resign in disgust or for another reason, or more likely a combination their of.

Old 29th July 2017, 09:47 AM   #9
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Daaamn! News to me! thanks. Link?
I saw it on an interview with I think Lindsey Graham on YouTube yesterday. He also said all hell was going to break loose if Trump fires Mueller. He was also going to introduce a bill that would make it so any President would not be able to fire anyone Special Prosecutor without Congressional approval.

I'll look for it.
Old 29th July 2017, 09:49 AM   #10
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

I did not intend to make any distinction.

Even suicides count.

Old 29th July 2017, 10:19 AM   #11
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I saw it on an interview with I think Lindsey Graham on YouTube yesterday. He also said all hell was going to break loose if Trump fires Mueller. He was also going to introduce a bill that would make it so any President would not be able to fire anyone Special Prosecutor without Congressional approval.

I'll look for it.
Is Graham in a position to follow through on such threats? He is not the Senate, he is not even the majority leader. Is is merely one of 100 members, and an idiosynchratic one at that.
Old 29th July 2017, 11:19 AM   #12
FenerFan
Illuminator

I'll look for it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 29th July 2017, 11:37 AM   #13
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Is Graham in a position to follow through on such threats? He is not the Senate, he is not even the majority leader. Is is merely one of 100 members, and an idiosynchratic one at that.
No, he is not But he doesn't have to be. He just needs maybe a few Republicans to join him along with all the Democrats. You can expect some strange bedfellows in the future.
Old 29th July 2017, 12:01 PM   #14
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Very interesting. Is Graham bluffing to look tough on Trump to moderates only to not not do anything in the end? Talk is cheap, after all.
Old 29th July 2017, 12:19 PM   #15
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

The constitutionality of such a law is dubious. It's conceivable the president could not fire him, but could definitely take him off the case and cancel it. Enforcing the laws is still a direct power of the president, for better or for worse.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2017, 12:22 PM   #16
jond
Illuminator

Very interesting. Is Graham bluffing to look tough on Trump to moderates only to not not do anything in the end? Talk is cheap, after all.
Given that he held a press conference the day of the "skinny repeal" vote calling it fraud and a disaster and that he wouldn't vote for it without absolute certainty that it wouldn't be approved by the house... and then voted for it (after Ryan specifically refused to say that they wouldn't approve it)...

Yeah, tough talk with no reason to believe a word he says.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2017, 02:47 PM   #17
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I expect that Sessions will be the next major player to get the boot.
Old 30th July 2017, 03:06 PM   #18
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by seayakin View Post
I think officially they will all resign. I think we can figure out who resigns or is forced out but it might be more difficult to identify those who resign in disgust or for another reason, or more likely a combination their of.

But are we making a distinction between leaving because they can't take the stupidity any more and being forced to resign. I could see Tillerson resigning in disgust but a Trump not wanting him to resign and Sessions being forced out.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2017, 03:12 PM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Except who's in charge if he's gone? Rosenstein. Or (((Rosenstein))), to a good many of Trump's supporters. Trump may be counting on a recess appointment. The Senate has good experience getting around that. And Sessions is one of their own.

Didn't I start a "Who will Trump fire first?" thread before he took office? I should look for that and see how the guessing went.
Old 30th July 2017, 03:44 PM   #20
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
The constitutionality of such a law is dubious. It's conceivable the president could not fire him, but could definitely take him off the case and cancel it. Enforcing the laws is still a direct power of the president, for better or for worse.
Please explain how such a law would be constitutionally dubious. I also don't see how he could take him off the case or fire him. Also Constitutionally speaking enforcement power is entrusted to Congress. Congress has empowered the President to nominate an Attorney General with consent of the Congress. This is NOT in the Constitution. If Congress wanted it could remove the President entirely from the process. It would just have to pass legislation.
Old 30th July 2017, 04:00 PM   #21
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Except who's in charge if he's gone? Rosenstein. Or (((Rosenstein))), to a good many of Trump's supporters. Trump may be counting on a recess appointment. The Senate has good experience getting around that. And Sessions is one of their own.

Didn't I start a "Who will Trump fire first?" thread before he took office? I should look for that and see how the guessing went.
One way or another, I'm sure you'll agree with me that the next White House victim should be fired from a trebuchet, this time.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2017, 04:51 PM   #22
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I have heard the suggestion that with Kelly now Chief of Staff, this gives Trump the ability to promote Sessions sideways to Sec of Homeland Security, and open up the Ag's position to someone that will play Trumpball.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2017, 05:01 PM   #23
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Well, we know Mnuchin is safe.

If he fires the appointed Goldman Sachs plant, members of both parties will, even if in the midst of August recess and requiring FAA re-routed flights with emergency priority traffic, immediately converge on their chambers, gavel into session, and upon reaching two-thirds of the members in attendance, vote to amend the constitution so that the President may be oustered in a single, simple majority vote without any debate, then vote on such a proposal.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2017, 05:04 PM   #24
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I have heard the suggestion that with Kelly now Chief of Staff, this gives Trump the ability to promote Sessions sideways to Sec of Homeland Security, and open up the Ag's position to someone that will play Trumpball.
He could do it but both positions requires confirmation. Sessions would have to be confirmed again and whoever he nominated for AG would also need to be confirmed.
Old 30th July 2017, 05:27 PM   #25
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

He could do it but both positions requires confirmation. Sessions would have to be confirmed again and whoever he nominated for AG would also need to be confirmed.
True, but they are more likely to confirm him into a higher position than if it was just a new AG because trump fired him.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2017, 06:41 PM   #26
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

He's going to make Trump fire him and the Orange Menace seems incapable of firing anyone. This is his only chance to fulfill as many of his racist dreams as possible and he's not letting go of the ring.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2017, 07:28 PM   #27
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

True, but they are more likely to confirm him into a higher position than if it was just a new AG because trump fired him.
I wouldn't say Homeland Security is a higher position than AG. But that's not the issue really. The problem is that it's a sham. The bigger problem would be in getting someone else confirmed for AG.
Old 31st July 2017, 11:44 AM   #28
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Mooch
Nailed it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40782299

Last edited by d4m10n; 31st July 2017 at 11:46 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 11:46 AM   #29
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Betting now open on who gets forced out next.
Old 31st July 2017, 11:49 AM   #30
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Mooch
Good call!
Old 31st July 2017, 11:58 AM   #31
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I just didn't see someone THAT openly vile surviving without the title "President".

I imagine Trump got a good talking to by members of congress or someone telling him if he wanted anything done, get rid of him.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 12:05 PM   #32
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Boy was I wrong.

Mooch got the boot before Sessions.

I should stop trying to predict Trump, because every time I do, I get it wrong.
Old 31st July 2017, 12:24 PM   #33
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The White House is getting more like Game of Thrones everyday....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 12:25 PM   #34
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Call me cynical but I think Trump might have a better time managing the WH Staff if all the staff were given GoPros and told that they are playing a game of survivor. Donald could see their video diaries in real time and laugh ...

"OK, OK it's been 11 days, 3 hrs and 15 minutes since I was hired to be the White House ...."
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 12:34 PM   #35
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

White House Survivor

Betting now open on who gets forced out next.
I'm betting on Jeff Sessions either stepping down or being moved to another post, more or less for the reasons described above by PhantomWolf.

Either that or else Tillerson loses patience with running State into the ground.

Last edited by d4m10n; 31st July 2017 at 12:37 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 12:38 PM   #36
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I'm betting on Jeff Sessions either stepping down or being moved to another post.

I think Tillerson. I think there are enough people to talk trump out of firing Sessions for having some ethics. So unless maybe his kids get indicted I don't see Sessions going anywhere
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 12:43 PM   #37
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The White House is getting more like Game of Thrones everyday....
Political Apprentice

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 12:52 PM   #38
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think none of us were expecting Mooch to last long,but out after ten freaking days?????

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 01:03 PM   #39
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Boy was I wrong.

Mooch got the boot before Sessions.

I should stop trying to predict Trump, because every time I do, I get it wrong.
This one was easy. What I like is this is the shortest duration for any White House Communications Director, negative 15 days as his start date was supposed to be August 15.

There are people who believe that the Mooch's real job was simply just to get rid of Spicer and Reince. His presence made both of their presence untenable. And now he can go and enjoy his money.
Old 31st July 2017, 01:07 PM   #40
Elagabalus
Philosopher

This one was easy. What I like is this is the shortest duration for any White House Communications Director, negative 15 days as his start date was supposed to be August 15.

There are people who believe that the Mooch's real job was simply just to get rid of Spicer and Reince. His presence made both of their presence untenable. And now he can go and enjoy his money.
I like it. He also could run interference, shoot his mouth off during the ACA vote.

Then, Mooch out ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics