IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 17th October 2017, 08:59 AM   #361
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Does that fall under the separate heading of "quit before officially hired"?
In January I applied for a position in the White House* lawn mowing team. Been waiting for confirmation ever since. But now I've had enough of it! I am quitting!

*: Well, not THE White House, it's actually a house with a yellowish hue closer to where I live, but it has roses in the garden! I hope this still counts for the purpose of this thread, even if the job is not an actual WH position and I never actually held the job.
Old 17th October 2017, 09:37 AM   #362
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
In January I applied for a position in the White House* lawn mowing team. Been waiting for confirmation ever since. But now I've had enough of it! I am quitting!

*: Well, not THE White House, it's actually a house with a yellowish hue closer to where I live, but it has roses in the garden! I hope this still counts for the purpose of this thread, even if the job is not an actual WH position and I never actually held the job.
Besides, you got beat out by a 12-year-old!
Old 17th October 2017, 02:55 PM   #363
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Besides, you got beat out by a 12-year-old!
Who looks kinda brownish and I am sure came from the south. That's why we need that wall! Make Oystein Great Again!
Old 17th October 2017, 07:08 PM   #364
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Drug Czar nominee Tom Marino, whom I'd never heard of until this morning. He was supposed to do something about the opioid crisis while being in the pocket of Big Pharma.
Quote:
The Trump administration has made a public push to combat the opioid crisis, with first lady Melania Trump and a presidential commission bringing attention to the issue.
Trump announced in August he would declare the opioid crisis a national emergency, which would allow his administration to free up federal resources to battle an epidemic killing 142 Americans every day. However, Trump has not yet made a formal declaration, though he said Monday that it will come next week.
"It's a very important step," Trump said. "And to get to that step, a lot of work has to be done, and it's time-consuming work. We're going to be doing it next week, OK?"
"Next week" in Trump talk means he'd already forgotten about it and don't hold your breath waiting for him to get around to actually doing anything.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:23 PM   #365
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

As with most things Trump screws up, I don't understand why he hasn't taken more heat for his obvious errors in judgement in terms of his appointments. He publicly and repeatedly has had to push out people who, just a few months ago, he brought into his administration. Aren't these errors in his judgement obvious and indisputable? That is not to say that I personally believe all of Trump's ex-appointees were bad, but clearly he ultimately flip flopped and came to that conclusion. It is difficult to drain the swamp if you can't tell the difference between a festering mudflats versus a shiny meadow until you are knee high in the muck.

Makes one wonder about the contestants to whom he gave the thumbs in The Apprentice, right?

Last edited by Giordano; 18th October 2017 at 03:25 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:24 PM   #366
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
As with most things Trump screws up, I don't understand why he hasn't taken more heat for his obvious errors in judgement in terms of his appointments. He publicly and repeatedly has had to push out people who, just a few months ago, he brought into his administration. Aren't these errors in his judgement obvious and indisputable? That is not to say that I personally believe all of Trump's ex-appointees were bad, but clearly he ultimately flip flopped and came to that conclusion. It is difficult to drain the swamp if you can't tell the difference between festering mud flats versus a meadow.

Makes one wonder about the contestants to whom he gave the thumbs in The Apprentice, right?
Trump supporters are believers. You can't reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into.
Old 18th October 2017, 03:26 PM   #367
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Trump supporters are believers. You can't reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into.
Eugene V. Debs, "I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I led you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads..."
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:31 PM   #368
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The problem for Trump is not that Tillerson called him a *********** moron - that can be handled with enough sweet-talk.
But that it has become public knowledge makes Trump think it will make him look weak.
He is weak! The guy is a running joke on this side of the pond. If it wasn't for the sheer size of the US military and it's involvement everywhere the Us would be a has-been pariah state.

The extent to US involvement (for better, or more usually for worse) makes the US unavoidable, but usually unwelcome. Pretty much how the British Empire was in the 1900s. Welcome to the Unwelcome club...
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:38 PM   #369
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

You can. Indeed, that is the presumption of intellectual discourse.

It is difficult to do so when bias is entrenched but were it not possible, we should give up on argumentation and focus on mere rhetoric.

You and I have grown up with biases. I hope that I have shed my insupportable biases, mostly at least, through reason.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 12:22 PM   #370
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Maybe we need to expand the thread beyond the white house :-)

Jeff Flake, Bob Corker ...
Old 24th October 2017, 02:54 PM   #371
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

"What do you mean I can't fire people who don't work for me?!"
Old 24th October 2017, 03:02 PM   #372
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

Nah, this thread only applies to people that Trump can fire. He can't fire congress critters....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 03:04 PM   #373
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
"What do you mean I can't fire people who don't work for me?!"
That two GOP senators with inpecciable conservative credentials have quit because they can't stand Trump ,though technically does not come under the subject of this thread (it applies only to people whom Trump could fire) is none the less very telling .

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 06:57 PM   #374
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That two GOP senators with inpecciable conservative credentials have quit because they can't stand Trump ,though technically does not come under the subject of this thread (it applies only to people whom Trump could fire) is none the less very telling .
I wish they weren't so cowardly though. They are facing getting primaried from the extreme right, but they should run for election and use the primaries to get out the message against the Nazi-scum-TP-Trump supporters. It is somewhat telling that Republicans are cowards that only say the right things when they aren't running worried about re-election.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 08:11 PM   #375
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wish they weren't so cowardly though. They are facing getting primaried from the extreme right, but they should run for election and use the primaries to get out the message against the Nazi-scum-TP-Trump supporters. It is somewhat telling that Republicans are cowards that only say the right things when they aren't running worried about re-election.

Ehh... The disgruntled employee finally giving his ******* boss a verbal reaming before walking out the door isn't exclusive to right-leaning politicians. It's a movie and television trope for a reason.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 24th October 2017 at 08:13 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 12:31 AM   #376
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Ehh... The disgruntled employee finally giving his ******* boss a verbal reaming before walking out the door isn't exclusive to right-leaning politicians. It's a movie and television trope for a reason.
But he's not their boss, their constituents are supposed to be their boss.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 12:36 AM   #377
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
IMO only in the same way that the shareholders are the "boss" of a company employee. The electorate may be the ultimate boss but in between there are various levels of management including the whips, the party leadership and in this case, The President.

In any case Flake looks like he is far to moderate for the modern-day GOP and will be replaced in the Senate by a Trumpist. I personally find this a little concerning. I had hoped that the poisonous effects of President Trump might halt the GOP in its headlong rush towards a new kind of extremism - then again I also said that about the religious fundamentalists and the Tea Party so what to I know ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:34 AM   #378
KDLarsen
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
IMO only in the same way that the shareholders are the "boss" of a company employee. The electorate may be the ultimate boss but in between there are various levels of management including the whips, the party leadership and in this case, The President.

In any case Flake looks like he is far to moderate for the modern-day GOP and will be replaced in the Senate by a Trumpist. I personally find this a little concerning. I had hoped that the poisonous effects of President Trump might halt the GOP in its headlong rush towards a new kind of extremism - then again I also said that about the religious fundamentalists and the Tea Party so what to I know ?
Unfortunately, the highlighted bit is contradicted by Flake voting with Trump 90% of the time.

It sounds more like Flake has realised he's most likely going to be primaried, especially considering his abysmal approval rating (currently at 18%) and the fact that Bannon & Breitbart has gone to bat for Kelli Ward, his opponent, and has decided to fire off a departing salute in order to score credit with the more moderate crowd.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:54 AM   #379
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Unfortunately, the highlighted bit is contradicted by Flake voting with Trump 90% of the time.

It sounds more like Flake has realised he's most likely going to be primaried, especially considering his abysmal approval rating (currently at 18%) and the fact that Bannon & Breitbart has gone to bat for Kelli Ward, his opponent, and has decided to fire off a departing salute in order to score credit with the more moderate crowd.
Still wondering how that's going to play out though...
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 03:20 AM   #380
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Nah, this thread only applies to people that Trump can fire. He can't fire congress critters....

He thinks he can. He believes that if he does not deign to bestow his royal blessing then they would inevitably crash and burn at the next election.

Time will tell if he is right or not.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 05:39 AM   #381
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

*shrug* I'm quite aware that it wasn't a flawless comparison. That wasn't the point.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 06:04 AM   #382
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It's very worrying what the GOP is becoming, a hard-right, nationalist, anti-immigrant, anti-trade, "know nothing" party funded by shady billionaires with a demagogue as President.

It's even more worrying that the GOP is willing to become this kind of party and isn't being manoeuvered against its will by skilled puppet masters.

What's most worrying from my perspective is the popularity of this kind of party among the white US electorate.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 07:56 AM   #383
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
You can. Indeed, that is the presumption of intellectual discourse.
Not to mention the fundamental goal of skeptical activism.

I've met dozens of former fundamentalists and not a few former alt-medicine users / woo believers who are now free of harmful false beliefs precisely because people took the trouble to reason with them.

Trump supporters do seem to be especially immune to evidence, though. I'm guessing this is largely because they are watching a totally different movie than the one I'm seeing play out; and because they have been trained to believe that the most conscientious and ethical reportage is mere "fake news."

Not directly, but with the ongoing Trumpification of the Republican Party, he can influence whether they remain electable. So . . . yeah, not on topic but topically adjacent.

That two GOP senators with inpecciable conservative credentials have quit because they can't stand Trump, though technically does not come under the subject of this thread (it applies only to people whom Trump could fire) is nonetheless very telling .
They haven't quit being Senators just yet, and probably won't do so until early 2019. There are now, by my count, at least four serving GOP senators completely free to break with party leadership/orthodoxy whenever they damn well please. This bodes ill for major single-party legislative reforms, in the near term.

It's very worrying what the GOP is becoming, a hard-right, nationalist, anti-immigrant, anti-trade, "know nothing" party funded by shady billionaires with a demagogue as President.
It really is worrying, but what is the viable alternative for that party? Put another way, who can possibly drag them back towards the center on any major issues? Jon Huntsman? Chris Christie? Susan Collins? I'm afraid the damage may be irreversible, the epistemic and moral rot too deep.
Old 27th October 2017, 08:41 AM   #384
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
It really is worrying, but what is the viable alternative for that party? Put another way, who can possibly drag them back towards the center on any major issues? Jon Huntsman? Chris Christie? Susan Collins? I'm afraid the damage may be irreversible, the epistemic and moral rot too deep.
It would be a lot less worrying if the Trumpification (and prior to that the Christian fundamentalisation and Tea Partification) of the GOP made it less electable (and hence provided a sharp correction) but instead they remain at least as electable as ever and in some states far more electable.

Whoever replaces Flake will likely be some combination of religious fundamentalist, Tea Party, America First, vehemently anti-Immigrant, anti-science, know-nothing - and will be enthusiastically elected by the good people of Arizona.

IMO President Trump isn't the problem, he's just a symptom
Old 27th October 2017, 12:11 PM   #385
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

IMO President Trump isn't the problem, he's just a symptom
That is what made me feel so awful the night he was elected: we really are this bad.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 01:17 PM   #386
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Whoever replaces Flake will likely be some combination of religious fundamentalist, Tea Party, America First, vehemently anti-Immigrant, anti-science, know-nothing - and will be enthusiastically elected by the good people of Arizona.
Possible but not a slam dunk.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:21 AM   #387
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-for-ag-post

Washington (AP) -- A former Trump campaign official who has been linked to the Russia investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller has withdrawn his nomination for an Agriculture post.

Sam Clovis says in a letter to President Donald Trump dated Thursday that he does "not want to be a distraction or a negative influence." Clovis cites what he calls "relentless assaults on you and your team" that "seem to be a blood sport."

Out before he was in ....
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:33 AM   #388
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/dumptrump33/stat...85376257531904
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:52 AM   #389
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

If we weren't in a period in time where the craziness, lies, bigotry, and rank incompetence weren't so rampant, there would be multiple threads focused on Sam Clovis, buffoon extraordinaire. Bye Sam, we barely knew you.
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:54 AM   #390
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
If we weren't in a period in time where the craziness, lies, bigotry, and rank incompetence weren't so rampant, there would be multiple threads focused on Sam Clovis, buffoon extraordinaire. Bye Sam, we barely knew you.
Isn't he still part of the USDA?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:13 AM   #391
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Damn !

Leftist #Fakenews denying the United States the invaluable services of a True PatriotTM
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:45 PM   #392
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm going back to Kushner as the next to leave. CNN was damning and if the leaks are true, The Hair is very angry with him. If it looks like he might get called, Kushner will need to gone so Trump can say he had a minor role.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:23 PM   #393
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm going back to Kushner as the next to leave. CNN was damning and if the leaks are true, The Hair is very angry with him. If it looks like he might get called, Kushner will need to gone so Trump can say he had a minor role.
It's a bold prediction. I tell you what: I'll bet you a quarter that Kushner doesn't leave the administration before Trump.

I could be wrong, but I think I'm not.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 06:25 AM   #394
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It seems all but certain Mueller has a sealed indictment waiting for Kushner, and Trump has demonstrated zero loyalty to anyone but himself.

Seems like a reasonable pick.
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:03 AM   #395
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Rex seemed to be on the hot seat a bit based on this morning's news. Kush may be moved to the side, but I don't see him being dropped unless he is actually indicted, and even then I'm not sure.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 07:36 AM   #396
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Betsy DeVos, according to the general Trump thread.
Old 9th November 2017, 08:40 AM   #397
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

I saw some stories to that effect, but the sourcing was ambiguous at best.
Old 9th November 2017, 08:43 AM   #398
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I missed whatever lead to that nomination. What happened?
Old 10th November 2017, 05:17 AM   #399
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I missed whatever lead to that nomination. What happened?
It was originally on Alternet and punted upfield in the Salon story, but it appears all to be rumour.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 02:47 PM   #400
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
It was originally on Alternet and punted upfield in the Salon story, but it appears all to be rumour.
Should really have known that she wasn't up to the job when she stated that they needed guns in schools as protection for grizzly bears. Come on, everyone knows, you don't shoot a grizzly, it'll just make it angry!

*****WARNING: Graphic Images in article. Not for the squeamish!******

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics