IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 21st May 2020, 10:24 PM   #2361
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Not a good time to be an IG.

Quote:
Named the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee (PRAC), its membership includes inspectors-general, who were tasked with alerting the public about anything improper in the public health and economic response to the crisis.

In the past few weeks, three of the committee's watchdogs have been fired: Mitch Behm from the Transportation Department, Christi Grimm of the Department of Health and Human Services and the Pentagon's Glenn Fine.

Behm was*investigating a possible conflict of interest; Grimm had*reported severe shortages of medical supplies in hospitals; Fine was heading the group overseeing the massive stimulus package.

Trump claimed he had to act after receiving "reports of bias".
Analysis: Another scandal is engulfing Trump — and it's got nothing to do with coronavirus
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-2...hdogs/12269124
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:32 AM   #2362
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Douglas Loverro, NASA's deputy administrator for human spaceflight. The timing is weird, just a week before SpaceX is to return Americans to space on an American rocket.

Not necessarily political, however: NASA recently announced three candidates for landing humans on the moon in 2024. (Which, BTW, is about as likely as a cow jumping over it.) One of the candidates is a team led by Blue Origin. Which is owned by Jeff Bezos. Who also owns the Washington Post. FAKE NEWS!

Loverro speaks of a "mistake" he made, but has said nothing more specific. To me, that does seem to suggest something personal rather than professional. I guess we'll see.
The article I read about it described the "mistake" as sidestepping the official decision making process regarding something to do with Artemis (NASA's return to the moon program du jour). Given current NASA politics, I assume he cut through some kind of bureaucratic shenanigans meant to stop the new rocket companies from "competing" with the SLS. If it were the other way around he'd have been promoted instead.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:10 PM   #2363
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
The article I read about it described the "mistake" as sidestepping the official decision making process regarding something to do with Artemis (NASA's return to the moon program du jour). Given current NASA politics, I assume he cut through some kind of bureaucratic shenanigans meant to stop the new rocket companies from "competing" with the SLS. If it were the other way around he'd have been promoted instead.
Latest theory is that he was trying to help Boeing because he thought the were the only ones with a chance of meeting Trump's asinine time frame.
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:04 PM   #2364
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Not a good time to be an IG.

Analysis: Another scandal is engulfing Trump — and it's got nothing to do with coronavirus
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-2...hdogs/12269124
All people he hasn't heard of, has never met, and thinks they probably only got coffee. Some guy just came up to him and said, "Sir, these people need to be fired...".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:02 PM   #2365
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Latest theory is that he was trying to help Boeing because he thought the were the only ones with a chance of meeting Trump's asinine time frame.
"By the end of my second term" is always the time frame.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:34 AM   #2366
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
All people he hasn't heard of, has never met, and thinks they probably only got coffee. Some guy just came up to him and said, "Sir, these people need to be fired...".
The first firing of an IG is hard. Firing a dozen after that is just good fun.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 05:56 AM   #2367
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

Yeah, that's the most likely, the plan was to just use NASA hardware - the SLS and Orion capsulw - with the Boeing lander. It would be the most expensive option and funneled even more $$$ to Boeing as it would require multiple SLS launches, and they are the prime contractors on the SLS first stage.

Looked at it from angle, it looks like giving Boeing at ****-tonne of money after they came under a lot of criticism from extracting a huge amount from the cost plus system that NASA uses.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 04:36 AM   #2368
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It just occured to me that the trumpkins have been very quiet about this. Not even the usual knee-jerk "but Obama fired someone too!!"-type posts we usually get when Trump does something they know he sjouldn't have. It's odd.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2020, 03:40 PM   #2369
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Dana Boente, top lawyer for the FBI, after being criticized by Fox News for handling of the Flynn Case.
Old 30th May 2020, 04:08 PM   #2370
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Dana Boente, top lawyer for the FBI, after being criticized by Fox News for handling of the Flynn Case.
From your link:

Quote:
Two sources familiar with the decision to dismiss Boente said it came from high levels of the Justice Department rather than directly from FBI Director Christopher Wray.
Gee....and I wonder where those 'high level' people got their orders from? Hint: Trump.

The DOJ is nothing but Trump's minion anymore.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:50 AM   #2371
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

TIme to get a betting pool started on how long until Esper is gone.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:25 PM   #2372
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
TIme to get a betting pool started on how long until Esper is gone.
What happened? I thought he was kissing arse quite well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:41 PM   #2373
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
What happened? I thought he was kissing arse quite well.

He publicly spoke out against using active duty troops to deal with demonstrators.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:44 PM   #2374
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
He publicly spoke out against using active duty troops to deal with demonstrators.
Wasn't happy about the NG helo flying low over them, either.
Old 3rd June 2020, 04:59 PM   #2375
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I admit, when I heard that I though of "The Running Man",

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:49 PM   #2376
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's rich that the current and former "Adults in the room" are coming out to say that they were always against the baby playing with matches.
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:18 PM   #2377
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Yeah. The one with Red Cross decals.

An actual Geneva Convention violation.

I guess Trump will be pulling us out of that soon.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 11:03 AM   #2378
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's rich that the current and former "Adults in the room" are coming out to say that they were always against the baby playing with matches.
It's more like a baby with an assault rifle, that's been modded to have no safety, a hair trigger, and a drum magazine of 100 rounds.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 09:34 PM   #2379
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump will be pulling us out of every internatinal agreement he can. he hatees them. he only believes in "deals" between individual countries.
If Trump is reelected, the US will be pariah nation by 2022.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th June 2020, 08:46 AM   #2380
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

12 officials have resigned or been fired from the Trump administration in the last 16 days
Old 19th June 2020, 08:54 AM   #2381
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump will be pulling us out of every internatinal agreement he can. he hatees them. he only believes in "deals" between individual countries.
If Trump is reelected, the US will be pariah nation by 2022.
It'll still have plenty of friends, Brazil, The Philippines, Russia, Saudi Arabia, India, the UK....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 08:58 AM   #2382
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The leaky helium balloon that is the Trump administration needs to jettison ballast.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:46 AM   #2383
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The leaky helium balloon that is the Trump administration needs to jettison ballast.
I'm thinking hydrogen balloon myself. Going down in flames.
Old 19th June 2020, 10:07 AM   #2384
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm thinking hydrogen balloon myself. Going down in flames.
we are both wrong -

it's nothing but hot air.
Old 19th June 2020, 05:47 PM   #2385
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It'll still have plenty of friends, Brazil, The Philippines, Russia, Saudi Arabia, India, the UK....
Not so srue about the UK...BoJo seems to want to move away from him...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th June 2020, 05:54 PM   #2386
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Lots of other rats may be abandoning the sinking ship in the coming months.
Old 19th June 2020, 06:26 PM   #2387
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I can't wait to see when (if) Biden is elected all the things that will be said about Trump by foreign leaders and people who are no longer afraid of repercussions by him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 07:19 PM   #2388
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I can't wait to see when (if) Biden is elected all the things that will be said about Trump by foreign leaders and people who are no longer afraid of repercussions by him.
Foreign leaders have too much class to say what they are thinking. It's undignified to speak of such things in their positions. That's what separates normal leaders from Trump.

But all the ex-administration officials featured in this thread are under no such restrictions.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 07:47 PM   #2389
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Foreign leaders have too much class to say what they are thinking. It's undignified to speak of such things in their positions. That's what separates normal leaders from Trump.

But all the ex-administration officials featured in this thread are under no such restrictions.
After he's out of power, I don't think that will matter to them. He'll be irrelevant and they'll let their feelings known. I guess we'll have to wait and seen.
Old 19th June 2020, 08:02 PM   #2390
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Geoffrey Berman, Attorney for the SDNY, is getting replaced by Barr.
This would have nothing to do with him going after Guiliani's band or merry miscreants, would it?
Old 19th June 2020, 08:03 PM   #2391
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 08:05 PM   #2392
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 08:13 PM   #2393
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
From the looks of that spreadsheet linked in the article, 16 is not an unusual number for the time frame.

I'd love to see that graphed out, a bar graph maybe, showing number per day and days between people leaving.

I would have thought revelations in Bolton's book had something to do with it but the departments people were in is not limited to the WH.
Old 19th June 2020, 08:48 PM   #2394
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Geoffrey Berman, Attorney for the SDNY, is getting replaced by Barr.
This would have nothing to do with him going after Guiliani's band or merry miscreants, would it?

And he says he is not going anywhere because he was not a Senate appointment, but a Court appointment. He says he will go when the Senate appoints a replacement. This could be a bit of fun.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 08:59 PM   #2395
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
After he's out of power, I don't think that will matter to them. He'll be irrelevant and they'll let their feelings known. I guess we'll have to wait and seen.
It does matter, though. Unless the Republicans lose both the Senate and the presidency while the Democrats keep the House, other world leaders can't afford to alienate either party. The Senate in particular has the power of treaty ratification which they would absolutely use against nations that displease them.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 09:01 PM   #2396
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
And he says he is not going anywhere because he was not a Senate appointment, but a Court appointment. He says he will go when the Senate appoints a replacement. This could be a bit of fun.

Norm
I understand the hire/fire via Tweet move from Trump -

but from Barr?
this is weird.
Old 20th June 2020, 03:01 AM   #2397
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post

I've seen people paraphrasing his response as "Go **** yourself."

Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 03:32 AM   #2398
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Not so srue about the UK...BoJo seems to want to move away from him...
What are you basing that on? Johnson is currently in the process of reneging on promises by relaxing food standards in order to enable a trade deal with the US, not to mention putting selling the NHS off on the table.

He's definitely a lot more interested in trading with the US than he is with the EU.
Old 20th June 2020, 09:29 AM   #2399
Meadmaker

Interesting move by Berman. Looks like that one's going to go to court.

I think it's ultimately a losing cause regardless of the outcome. I'm not sure if Barr has the authority to remove him, but I'm pretty sure Barr has the authority to remove his funding, which is pretty much the same thing.

Will definitely be worth watching.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 10:05 AM   #2400
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Interesting move by Berman. Looks like that one's going to go to court.

I think it's ultimately a losing cause regardless of the outcome. I'm not sure if Barr has the authority to remove him, but I'm pretty sure Barr has the authority to remove his funding, which is pretty much the same thing.

Will definitely be worth watching.
Except for one tiny little thing: Unless they're run entirely by partisan hacks, courts generally want to hear reasons (they prefer good ones) for wildly unusual actions taken by government officials. This action is such a naked attempt to politicize the Justice Department that if it goes to court it will be pretty tough for a judge not to tell Barr to GTFO.

It's particularly unclothed given that the process was kicked off by the bald-faced lie that Berman was "stepping down." There's simply no getting around the obvious untruth of those words. It's passive-aggressive ******** that was almost certainly generated because there was some question as to whether Trump or Barr could fire him outright. The hope was likely that Berman would get the message and go away quietly, perhaps in the belief that fighting it would be more trouble than it's worth. Instead, they've given him the opportunity to parlay their ******** into a big step towards higher office by being the underdog crime-fighting hero.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 20th June 2020 at 10:20 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics