IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 27th September 2017, 05:39 PM   #281
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Will Jared's days ever be numbered?
You misspelled (((Jared))). But less sarcastically, no, they probably won't.
Old 27th September 2017, 08:41 PM   #282
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Given that Jared made the same mistakes that someone did so recently argues that he's a slow learner. Not a good trait. In the office pool, though, he's even money to stay on as Trump's big acid test is personal loyalty. :P
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 11:15 PM   #283
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Given that Jared made the same mistakes that someone did so recently argues that he's a slow learner. Not a good trait. In the office pool, though, he's even money to stay on as Trump's big acid test is personal loyalty. :P
If you're referring to the email brouhaha, then Jared is one of six slow learners, none of whom will be sacked over this because Trump doesn't give a damn about this issue (despite how much time he spent on the horrors of Clinton's similar misstep).
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 11:30 PM   #284
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Who told him he should back Strange over Moore? That guy's a goner.
That never happened, as The President's recently updated Twitter feed shows
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 03:48 AM   #285
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
If you're referring to the email brouhaha, then Jared is one of six slow learners, none of whom will be sacked over this because Trump doesn't give a damn about this issue (despite how much time he spent on the horrors of Clinton's similar misstep).
It's unlikely that he'd fire either Kushner or Ivanka since they are family. Priebus and Bannon are already gone. Cohn and Miller could be in trouble depending on how serious their breeches were and how much it embarasses Trump.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 03:51 AM   #286
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It's unlikely that he'd fire either Kushner or Ivanka since they are family. Prebus and Bannon are already gone. Cohn and Miller could be in trouble depending on how serious their breeches were and how much it embarasses Trump.
There's no way Trump is going to let them go over an email flap. He conceivably could use the email issue as an excuse when he wants to let them go for other reasons, but then he'd have an issue because Kushner and Ivanka will certainly not be let go, despite the same sin.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 04:16 AM   #287
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Just another example of good Republican fiscal responsibility.
But how are people supposed to feel important if they have to fly commercial?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:52 AM   #288
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

It is going to take a lot of private flights to compete with the fiscal profligacy going down at White House South.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/891020450935058434
Old 29th September 2017, 08:26 AM   #289
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Oh, that.

In normal times this would be a career-ending move but I don't really see Trump cracking down on overindulgence in taxpayer-funded perks, or corruption more generally.
Few things are the same as in "normal" times :-)

Doesn't look like this price thing is going away quickly, and wow he is unlikable.

I think someone could convince 45 that firing him would be good optics.
Old 29th September 2017, 12:45 PM   #290
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

McConnell? Could happen.
But it won't be Trump who does it;only the members of the Senate can do that..Trump cannot fire McConnell thus McConnell does not qualify for the White House Survivor game.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 12:47 PM   #291
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Few things are the same as in "normal" times :-)

Doesn't look like this price thing is going away quickly, and wow he is unlikable.

I think someone could convince 45 that firing him would be good optics.
This, and Trump had no close ties to Price.
And Price's job description makes him a prime scapegoat if the response to Hurricane Maria becomes a major issue.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 01:40 PM   #292
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

White House says HHS Secretary Tom Price has resigned
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 02:06 PM   #293
NoahFence
Banned

...and another one bites the dust

Kushner or DeVos next.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 02:15 PM   #294
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post

Kushner or DeVos next.
Devos is safe;she paid for her charter flights out of her own pocket. I dislike her immensely,but will give her credit for that.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th September 2017, 02:23 PM   #295
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post

Kushner or DeVos next.
My money's on Mnuchin, Pruitt or Zinke all of whom are consumed in somewhat lesser versions of the same scandal.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 04:09 PM   #296
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Kudos to everyone who had him in the pool.

Personally, I'm shocked to find that anyone in that political party can still be shamed.
Old 29th September 2017, 04:17 PM   #297
Cain
Straussian

Trump has staffed his White House and cabinet with the best people, so their replacements are by definition sub-optimal. This media witch-hunt is undermining efforts to drain the swamp.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 04:18 PM   #298
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

At some point, my question from before Trump won the nom of the GOP will come up with greater gravity:

Who wants to work for this guy? Who will work for this guy? The first six month's carnage/turnover argues for "why would I bother" as a response to feelers from someone like Kelly contacting prospects.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 04:23 PM   #299
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Personally, I'm shocked to find that anyone in that political party can still be shamed.
It's weird to see a normal political scandal play out in the normal way. I mean why didn't he just defiantly stay on? That would fit better with what the Trump era has brought us to.
Old 29th September 2017, 04:36 PM   #300
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
At some point, my question from before Trump won the nom of the GOP will come up with greater gravity:

Who wants to work for this guy? Who will work for this guy? The first six month's carnage/turnover argues for "why would I bother" as a response to feelers from someone like Kelly contacting prospects.
It's the Red Wedding in GOT.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th September 2017, 04:40 PM   #301
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's weird to see a normal political scandal play out in the normal way. I mean why didn't he just defiantly stay on? That would fit better with what the Trump era has brought us to.
I think he got the word that Trump was going to pull the trigger,and decided to resign to avoid that humiliation.
IMHO it was all about the optics. It was not so much what Price did, but that vioilated the 11th Commandment:Thou Shalt Not Get Caught.
But it is a nice scalp for Politico, which broke the story. I am pretty sure there are asking "How the hell did we miss this" at the WAPO.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th September 2017, 04:44 PM   #302
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think he got the word that Trump was going to pull the trigger,and decided to resign to avoid that humiliation.
IMHO it was all about the optics. It was not so much what Price did, but that vioilated the 11th Commandment:Thou Shalt Not Get Caught.
But it is a nice scalp for Politico, which broke the story. I am pretty sure there are asking "How the hell did we miss this" at the WAPO.
Politico also broke the story the prevented Puzder from being appointed. But as their editor said:
someone just said "your reporters brought price down" I said no -- Tom PRice's poor judgment and costly travel brought him down
Old 29th September 2017, 06:23 PM   #303
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Devos is safe;she paid for her charter flights out of her own pocket. I dislike her immensely,but will give her credit for that.
She owns the jet.

DeVos travels "on personally-owned aircraft"
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 06:39 PM   #304
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Rachel Maddow had a long list of the people currently on survival island.

Last night's program is on the top playlist but hopefully there'll be a link to tonight's program soon. She listed a half dozen or more with the same abuse of power scandals.

Looks like the VA head has some explaining to do: VA chief took in Wimbledon, river cruise on European work trip; wife’s expenses covered by taxpayers.

I vote David Shulkin the next off the island.

The EPA administrator could be in trouble even though the National Review tried to clear him yesterday: The Scott Pruitt Non-Scandal.

That may not help: EPA inspector general launches probe of Scott Pruitt’s travel costs.

It's not just travel costs. That $25K cone of silence is certainly an eyebrow raiser.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 11:25 PM   #305
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Kudos to everyone who had him in the pool.

Is this really only about the flights or is there some payback for the failed healthcare bills and he resigned before he was fired ?

nvm.....should have read on to dudalb's post

Last edited by The Don; 29th September 2017 at 11:27 PM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 04:56 PM   #306
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I think Tillerson will resign when he gets back from China. How can he not? Where's the way forward for him after this?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/01/politi...rea/index.html
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 03:57 AM   #307
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Tillerson seems like a good bet at this point.

Quote:
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was on the verge of resigning this past summer amid mounting policy disputes and clashes with the White House, according to multiple senior administration officials who were aware of the situation at the time.

The tensions came to a head around the time President Donald Trump delivered a politicized speech in late July to the Boy Scouts of America, an organization Tillerson once led, the officials said.

Just days earlier, Tillerson had openly disparaged the president, referring to him as a “moron,” after a July 20 meeting at the Pentagon with members of Trump’s national security team and Cabinet officials, according to three officials familiar with the incident.
Old 4th October 2017, 06:19 AM   #308
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I think Tillerson will resign when he gets back from China. How can he not? Where's the way forward for him after this?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/01/politi...rea/index.html
Agreed. Trump has neutered him and rendered him useless.
Old 4th October 2017, 06:34 AM   #309
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed. Trump has neutered him and rendered him useless.
I guess that could be true for any senior member of the Trump Administration. The President seems to make up policy on the hoof which means that any deal that someone has been patiently working on is scuppered when President Trump makes a speech extolling the complete opposite position.
Old 4th October 2017, 06:38 AM   #310
Toontown
Philosopher

It is now official. The secretary of state has confirmed that Trump is indeed a "moron".

Which comes as no great surprise. Putin did not select Trump to be our president because he admired Trump's intellect.

Last edited by Toontown; 4th October 2017 at 06:44 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 07:38 AM   #311
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
It is now official. The secretary of state has confirmed that Trump is indeed a "moron".
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...ws_report.html

He won't be the first person fired for excessive truth-telling.

***ALL MY CHIPS ON TILLERSON***
Old 4th October 2017, 07:45 AM   #312
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Tillerson is making a statement at 10:40EDT from the Treaty Room. Topic unknown. We could be getting moron this story.
Old 4th October 2017, 07:49 AM   #313
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Yeah, same here.

Tillerson is making a statement at 10:40EDT from the Treaty Room. Topic unknown. We could be getting moron this story.
I don't see anything yet, fingers crossed he goes off script and quits with some flare.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 07:50 AM   #314
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Old 4th October 2017, 07:52 AM   #315
NoahFence
Banned

Well the jerk store is running out of YOU!

....I hate when I want to make a joke that someone already made.
"Moron" this story.

NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 08:03 AM   #316
NoahFence
Banned

Doggone it. He's just giving Trump a gobbie and praising Dear Leader.
Old 4th October 2017, 08:05 AM   #317
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Hmmm. Tillerson never considered leaving, and doesn't understand the media "misreporting" everything. Plays the "I'm not from Washington" card.

Honestly, IDK what's doing here.
Old 4th October 2017, 08:09 AM   #318
Toontown
Philosopher

When directly asked if he called Trump a "moron", Tillerson refused to answer.

From this non-answer we can confidently conclude Tillerson did in fact call Trump a "moron".

We can also confidently conclude Tillerson is not ready to leave yet. We should probably be relieved that Tillerson and a couple of others are hanging around, keeping an eye on Putin's selection.

Last edited by Toontown; 4th October 2017 at 08:14 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 08:10 AM   #319
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmm. Tillerson never considered leaving, and doesn't understand the media "misreporting" everything. Plays the "I'm not from Washington" card.

Honestly, IDK what's doing here.
Has he denied calling Trump a moron yet?
Old 4th October 2017, 08:11 AM   #320
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
When directly asked if he called Trump a "moron", Tillerson refused to answer.

From this non-answer we can confidently conclude Tillerson did in fact call Trump a "moron".

We can also confidently conclude Tillerson is not ready to leave yet.
It appears that way, but I would like more information on WHY.

ETA: I don't believe him when he makes noises like it's love of country, duty etc

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 4th October 2017 at 08:12 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics