IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 4th October 2017, 08:14 AM   #321
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
It appears that way, but I would like more information on WHY.
A public health service. Think of the damage of the eye rolling at, "Can Secretary of State Nikki Haley save the GOP," columns would induce. That could cause some strains.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 08:24 AM   #322
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...ws_report.html

He won't be the first person fired for excessive truth-telling.

***ALL MY CHIPS ON TILLERSON***
Just saw the CNN scroll stating that "Trump aware that Tillerson called him a moron".

I think Rex will be gone by Monday.
Old 4th October 2017, 08:27 AM   #323
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

On NBC, @SRuhle clarifies that her source says Tillerson didn’t just say moron — “he said ****** moron"
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 08:30 AM   #324
Armitage72
Philosopher

Mattis is publicly questioning Trump's judgment. He'd better be careful.

Quote:
Secretary of Defense James Mattis said Tuesday that he believes it is in US national security interest to remain in the Iran nuclear agreement despite repeated hints from President Donald Trump that he is inclined to scrap the deal.
During a hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Sen. Angus King asked Mattis: "Do you believe it is in our national security interest at the present time to remain in the (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action)? That is a yes or no question."
Mattis replied, "Yes, senator, I do."

"The point I would make is if we can confirm that Iran is living by the agreement, if we can determine that this is in our best interests then clearly we should stay with it," Mattis added. "I believe at this point in time absent indications to the contrary, it is something the President should consider staying with."

Trump said that it's a terrible deal that we should get out of at the first opportunity. How dare he disagree.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 08:49 AM   #325
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...ws_report.html

He won't be the first person fired for excessive truth-telling.

***ALL MY CHIPS ON TILLERSON***
Well, yes, but you can't expect much return on what seems a near certainty.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 08:49 AM   #326
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Just saw the CNN scroll stating that "Trump aware that Tillerson called him a moron".
I saw that one too.

Last edited by d4m10n; 4th October 2017 at 08:52 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 09:19 AM   #327
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The problem for Trump is not that Tillerson called him a *********** moron - that can be handled with enough sweet-talk.
But that it has become public knowledge makes Trump think it will make him look weak.
Old 4th October 2017, 09:23 AM   #328
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The problem for Trump is not that Tillerson called him a *********** moron - that can be handled with enough sweet-talk.
But that it has become public knowledge makes Trump think it will make him look weak.
That was what I was thinking.

Especially with the very public non-denial.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 09:25 AM   #329
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmm. Tillerson never considered leaving, and doesn't understand the media "misreporting" everything. Plays the "I'm not from Washington" card.

Honestly, IDK what's doing here.
Haven't most of the previous WH evacuees made similar statements right before leaving? I'm pretty sure Spicer did.
Old 4th October 2017, 09:43 AM   #330
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Of course. Precision requires the asterisk- laden adjective.

Presumably Tillerson was chosen for the SoS position in part because of his verbal precision.

Last edited by Toontown; 4th October 2017 at 09:44 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 11:04 AM   #331
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Well, yes, but you can't expect much return on what seems a near certainty.
https://www.predictit.org/Contract/8123#data
Old 4th October 2017, 03:03 PM   #332
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Of course the most notorious tweeter has already produced a tweet for every occasion

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...780480/photo/1

From 2014

ETA you have to click on the photo to see the caption in all its glory

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 4th October 2017 at 03:15 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 04:32 PM   #333
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Tillerson is now a little prison date. His one chance to save any self-respect was to resign after he got undercut by the president while he was in China.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 05:45 PM   #334
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Of course the most notorious tweeter has already produced a tweet for every occasion

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...780480/photo/1

From 2014

ETA you have to click on the photo to see the caption in all its glory
And even then it can get covered up, so here's the caption:
"I keep thinking that we should include something in this constitution in case the people elect a *********** moron."
Old 4th October 2017, 06:28 PM   #335
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Tillerson's creditbility as S.O.S with other countries is pretty much shot after this tiff.
I don't think his penance today will save him. I suspect he will be gone before Halloween.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 06:33 PM   #336
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure it qualifies as a White House Casuality but Tim Murphy , GOP congressman from Pennsylvania, will not run for relection after he, a hardline anti abortion leader, was caught.via texting, urging his mistress to get an abortion.
In a year full of hypocrisy, this one stands out.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 06:53 PM   #337
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Tillerson's creditbility as S.O.S with other countries is pretty much shot after this tiff.
I don't think his penance today will save him. I suspect he will be gone before Halloween.

And that is only one effect.

More importantly, I think, is that the credibility of any SecState under Trump is now pretty much shot with other countries.

They know that Trump will cheerfully contradict anything his official Secretary of State says in a heartbeat, without hesitation, whenever it suits him.

That doesn't do much for credibility no matter who has the job.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 4th October 2017 at 06:55 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 07:00 PM   #338
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Not sure it qualifies as a White House Casuality but Tim Murphy , GOP congressman from Pennsylvania, will not run for relection after he, a hardline anti abortion leader, was caught.via texting, urging his mistress to get an abortion.
In a year full of hypocrisy, this one stands out.

Color me surprised. That's actually more integrity than I have come to expect from the average GOP pol. Usually they just claim to be "saved", beg for forgiveness, and go back to work with the enthusiastic support of the people who voted them in before.

(This option is not available to Democrats, of course, since they aren't ever "real" Christians.)

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 4th October 2017 at 07:03 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 08:04 PM   #339
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

It appears that way, but I would like more information on WHY.

ETA: I don't believe him when he makes noises like it's love of country, duty etc
Why do you hate America?

@Quad
Quote:
This option is not available to Democrats, of course, since they aren't ever "real" Christians.
Sez you. Are you qualified to make that assessment? If so, would you care to establish your bona fides? 'Round where I live, quite a few very liberal people are very vocal Democrats and Christians.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 4th October 2017 at 08:10 PM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 08:07 PM   #340
NoahFence
Banned

Corker says that Tillerson, Mattis and Kelly are the only thing that keeps us from total chaos. That's probably why he's sticking around.

But...emails!
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 08:42 PM   #341
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Why do you hate America?

@Quad

Sez you. Are you qualified to make that assessment? If so, would you care to establish your bona fides? 'Round where I live, quite a few very liberal people are very vocal Democrats and Christians.
If they are liberals they are faking it, and are likely to really be a secret Muslim, or worse one of those atheists! Just ask any "true Conservative."

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 06:20 AM   #342
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Corker says that Tillerson, Mattis and Kelly are the only thing that keeps us from total chaos. That's probably why he's sticking around.

But...emails!
But Kelly Ann Conway spun that as protecting us from the chaos in the external world.

I think she is a True Believer. Trump has her mesmerized with his Caring Nurturer act. Plus the fact that he pays her $1000 a word to chatter like a demented magpie on TV.
Old 5th October 2017, 06:28 AM   #343
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
I think she is a True Believer.
Maybe.

Sunken Cost and Stockholm Syndrome are a powerful combination.

But more importantly, Conway is the last high-ranking asset of the Mercer family in the Trump administration, after Bannon had to go. It is them who pay her, no Trump.
Old 5th October 2017, 05:04 PM   #344
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Tillerson should have resigned instead of going to the Whitehouse tonight. It's going to be the difference between being a martyr for his country and a little bitch.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2017, 05:53 PM   #345
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Tillerson should have resigned instead of going to the Whitehouse tonight. It's going to be the difference between being a martyr for his country and a little bitch.
Tillerson has a moral duty to stay for so long as he sincerely believes he can help avert war on the peninsula.
Old 5th October 2017, 06:18 PM   #346
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Resignations are a Friday activity in this administration (Spicer, Priebus, Bannon, Price).
Old 5th October 2017, 06:44 PM   #347
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Tillerson has a moral duty to stay for so long as he sincerely believes he can help avert war on the peninsula.
Wellington ended the Peninsular War over 250 years ago! Oh, you mean the Korean peninsula. That war has never officially ended since 1952.

Seriously, if Tillerson can pull that off he's doing well. Trump has seemed pretty determined to have "Fire and Fury". At the moment he's mostly interested in "Fake News" reporting what's actually happening in Puerto Rico, but he's got the attention span of a gnat.
Old 5th October 2017, 08:54 PM   #348
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I see.

A deluded little bitch?

Problem is that you are working on the premise that there is any morality there to begin with.

Trump's Cabinet is comprised of people who agreed to be Trump subordinates in full knowledge of his character and track record.

Being that (for whatever faults they might have) they are not stupid ... or blind ... there is no way that they could not know that Trump would ignore, contradict, and humiliate them at any given moment, if for no other reason than simply because he could. Personal morality begins with a certain minimum of self-respect. Obviously that is not an impediment to their political ambitions.

It is unlikely that any moral imperative is in play. They were all the first ones as the list of potential candidates was pared away willing to prostitute themselves for the prestige of the position.

Last edited by quadraginta; 5th October 2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 5th October 2017, 08:57 PM   #349
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I see.

A deluded little bitch?

Problem is that you are working on the premise that there is any morality there to begin with.

Trump's Cabinet is comprised of people who agreed to be Trump subordinates in full knowledge of his character and track record.

Being that (for whatever faults they might have) they are not stupid ... or blind ... there is no way that they could not know that Trump would ignore, contradict, and humiliate them at any given moment, if for no other reason than simply because he could. Personal morality begins with a certain minimum of self-respect.
Self-respect is important, indeed, but perhaps it may be outweighed by hundreds of thousands of human lives in the balance.
Old 6th October 2017, 08:28 PM   #350
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

CNN is reporting that Kelly might be nearing the breaking point,telling Trump that if Tillerson goes it would be almost impossible for him to function as COS.Since Tillerson is pretty much a Dead Man Walking, we could have a double exit.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th October 2017, 08:32 PM   #351
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I see.

A deluded little bitch?

Being that (for whatever faults they might have) they are not stupid ... or blind ... there is no way that they could not know that Trump would ignore, contradict, and humiliate them at any given moment, if for no other reason than simply because he could. Personal morality begins with a certain minimum of self-respect. Obviously that is not an impediment to their political ambitions.

It is unlikely that any moral imperative is in play. They were all the first ones as the list of potential candidates was pared away willing to prostitute themselves for the prestige of the position.
I am not sure I agree with a blanket condemnation of those who agreed to serve in a Trump white house. I think some of the them know what Trump is, but through that somehow they could shield the country from his worst excesses. I think they were mistaken, but I can understand why they accepted the posts.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th October 2017, 12:03 AM   #352
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump is in a bit of a bind when it comes to firing Tillerson: he has called the"*********** moron" comment Fake News. So he can't use it as the excuse for getting rid of Rex.
Old 7th October 2017, 01:31 AM   #353
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump is in a bit of a bind when it comes to firing Tillerson: he has called the"*********** moron" comment Fake News. So he can't use it as the excuse for getting rid of Rex.

When has inconsistency ever presented any sort of obstacle to Trump?

Old 7th October 2017, 02:40 AM   #354
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The irony in all of this is that it here's no debate about Trump being a moron. Most of the country thinks he is. Kelly just needs to go in and explain that to Trump.
Old 7th October 2017, 04:44 AM   #355
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The irony in all of this is that it here's no debate about Trump being a moron. Most of the country thinks he is. Kelly just needs to go in and explain that to Trump.
Would require a backbone - something for which IMO evidence is lacking.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 04:45 AM   #356
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

CNN is reporting that Kelly might be nearing the breaking point,telling Trump that if Tillerson goes it would be almost impossible for him to function as COS.Since Tillerson is pretty much a Dead Man Walking, we could have a double exit.....
Wouldn't be so bullish on a Rexit happening soon.

Quote:
Other Trump insiders point to the potentially hefty tax bill Tillerson would have to pay if he resigns before serving a year in government.
He only has to put up with four more months of this to avoid that.
Old 10th October 2017, 05:38 PM   #357
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

After the "IQ Test" comments from the Whitehouse, Tillerson is just a whipping boy. He should just pay the tax man (how much better can you eat?) and save what's left of his dignity.
Old 10th October 2017, 05:51 PM   #358
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

I really wish Mensa would step up for once.
Old 17th October 2017, 07:31 AM   #359
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Drug Czar nominee Tom Marino, whom I'd never heard of until this morning. He was supposed to do something about the opioid crisis while being in the pocket of Big Pharma.
Old 17th October 2017, 08:52 AM   #360
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Drug Czar nominee Tom Marino, whom I'd never heard of until this morning. He was supposed to do something about the opioid crisis while being in the pocket of Big Pharma.
Does that fall under the separate heading of "quit before officially hired"?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics