IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 24th May 2018, 05:43 AM   #1
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

All things Trump + Russia Part 4

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Actually....what it shows is how important the electoral college is.
So much for the argument that the majority of the country wanted Trump, eh?

Mod InfoNew thread for continuing discussions from: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=325745
Posted By:kmortis

Last edited by kmortis; 24th May 2018 at 08:10 AM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 06:11 AM   #2
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Actually....what it shows is how important the electoral college is. That way a few cities cannot dictate to the rest of the country. And we will never give it up. I’m just glad most libs love living in the city.

Your idol doesn't agree:
Quote:
On Sixty Minutes on November 13, 2016, President-Elect Trump said:
"I would rather see it, where you went with simple votes. You know, you get 100 million votes, and somebody else gets 90 million votes, and you win. There’s a reason for doing this. Because it brings all the states into play."
https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/...ors-nationwide
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...college-244637

And maybe some changes are coming:
https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

Last edited by Bob001; 24th May 2018 at 06:12 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 10:41 AM   #3
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post

Mod InfoNew thread for continuing discussions from: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=325745
Posted By:kmortis
That wasn’t my argument.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 10:42 AM   #4
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That might be a clue he isn’t my idol? Lol
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

That wasn’t my argument.
"[...]the country is deeply red. That’s because not very many like democrats or the left."
Old 24th May 2018, 10:49 AM   #6
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I just read on CNN that Trump won the Nobel Peace prize.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/24/p...rea/index.html

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 11:08 AM   #7
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
"[...]the country is deeply red. That’s because not very many like democrats or the left."
Thank you for showing my argument wasn’t a majority wanted Trump.
Old 24th May 2018, 07:25 PM   #8
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Here's an on topic post.

MH17 Missile Owned By Russian Brigade, Investigators Say.

So where is Mr. Tough Guy on this? The Orange Menace?

Oh yeah. Putin.
Old 25th May 2018, 03:31 AM   #9
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Roger Stone reportedly repeatedly asked for dirt on Clinton, sourced from Wikileaks - which would make his testimoney to Congress false
Old 25th May 2018, 07:49 AM   #10
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

It's so weird that these completely innocent people keep lying their interactions with Russia. You'd almost think they had something to hide.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 11:54 AM   #11
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

11 days before the inauguration Michael Cohen met at Trump Tower with a Russian oligarch to discuss US/Russia "relations" under Trump, and weeks later Cohen received a $1m consulting contract from a company owned by the man who invests the oligargh's money for him
Old 25th May 2018, 12:13 PM   #12
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is definitely not collusion.
Trust me.
No collusion.
Old 25th May 2018, 12:30 PM   #13
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is definitely not collusion.
Trust me.
No collusion.
Look, just because Trump received large amounts of funding for his business dealings from Russia, publically asked the Russians to hack into American computers, had people on his campaign send email about how excited they were to potentially be getting dirt on Clinton from Russians, had members of his team meet with Russian agents during the campaign, had several people involved with his administration lie about Russian contacts during various investigations, fired one of the key people who was looking into possible influence by Russia, has made no effort to prevent Russian interference into future American elections, and had his personal lawyer meet with a Russian Oligarch with ties to Putin after the election does not mean that there is a reason to be suspicious that Trump might be colluding with the Russians.

After all, that sort of thing can happen to anybody.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 25th May 2018 at 12:31 PM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 02:05 AM   #14
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...86031914831873

Quote:
The FBI has obtained secret wiretaps collected by Spanish police of conversations involving Alexander Torshin, the Putin ally who met Don Jr. at the NRA convention, Yahoo reports.

A top Spanish prosecutor said: “Mr. Trump’s son should be concerned.”
Old 26th May 2018, 02:32 AM   #15
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...96362372374528

Quote:
The Yahoo! Don Jr./Torshin story makes it sound like Spanish authorities got their wiretaps in 2013. Perhaps the article is poorly written and that's not the case, but I'll say that if the wiretaps Jr. "should be worried about" are from 2013, this is about to get *interesting*.

2/ Guess what Jr. was working on in mid-/late 2013? A Trump Tower Moscow deal with the Agalarovs. If there are taps from that period authorities think Jr. should be worried about, it'd be a game-changer. Don't forget Torshin once said he'd been friendly with the Trumps for years.

3/ Torshin, when his name first was mentioned as part of the Trump-Russia probe, was said to have encountered Trump Sr. at an NRA event and had an extremely friendly exchange with him. I can't recall at the moment if it was Spring of 2013 or 2015. Even if 2015, did Jr. set it up?

4/ Apparently, Isikoff was just on MSNBC and said the taps began in 2013. Still unclear (as different readers who saw the segment are saying different things) is whether Isikoff said the taps Trump Jr. "should be worried about" are from 2013 or 2016. If it's 2013, "I love it."
Old 26th May 2018, 01:07 PM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well this says it was during the campaign: Business Insider: The FBI has obtained wiretaps of a Putin ally tied to the NRA who met with Trump Jr. during the campaign
Quote:
Spanish police have turned over to the FBI wiretaps of conversations involving Alexander Torshin, a prominent Russian banker suspected of money laundering who met with President Donald Trump's eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., during the 2016 US presidential election.

Torshin is closely associated with the National Rifle Association, and he and his longtime assistant attempted to use the organization's annual convention in 2016 to set up a backdoor meeting between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Neither Trump nor his campaign associates attended the convention, but Torshin and Trump Jr. did attend a separate NRA dinner that same night.

When José Grinda, a Spanish prosecutor who spearheads investigations into organized crime, was asked if he was concerned about Torshin's interactions with Trump Jr. or other American political figures, Grinda replied: "Mr. Trump's son should be concerned."
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2018, 05:15 AM   #17
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1000878700819337217

Quote:
GOP fundraiser: Ex-American spy helped Qatar hack emails
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...89553954267136

Quote:
Here's how I would have headlined this:

Alleged Trump Co-Conspirator Elliott Broidy Argues in Court That Cyber Attacks on U.S. Citizens By Foreign Governments Are "Acts of War," a Legal Theory That Could Clear the Way for His Future Co-Defendant Trump to Be Charged With Treason
Article linked in first tweet, thread continues after second.
Old 28th May 2018, 02:16 PM   #18
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The irony is exquisite. A Republican fundraiser, Trump insider, whining about hacked emails being used for character assassination.

And then putting a cherry on top by complaining about the involvement of foreign governments.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 07:16 AM   #19
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

"...our recollection keeps changing..."

Good grief.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 03:02 AM   #20
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
In other words "I can't remember the lies I told last time........"
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 05:36 AM   #21
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
In other words "I can't remember the lies I told last time........"
Wait a sec... I thought trump bragged about how good his memory is.

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 06:06 AM   #22
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Wait a sec... I thought trump bragged about how good his memory is.

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk
Yep, a GMOAT, which is why it's so difficult for him to remember - because if he had a less perfect memory, he'd only remember the last version he said
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 06:56 AM   #23
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
On the one hand, goof grief is right!

On the other hand, as skeptics do we not often point out the malleability of human memory? Recollections do in fact change. So on its face the statement isn’t wrong, per sé.

Of course, in this case it is almost certainly “motivated change” - IOW, changing and fabricating stories as they go along to fit a desired narrative. Or “lying” in the common vernacular!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 07:04 AM   #24
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
....On the other hand, as skeptics do we not often point out the malleability of human memory? Recollections do in fact change. So on its face the statement isn’t wrong, per sé.
Really? You're going to waste our time with this irrelevant bit of unrelated neurobiology?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 07:11 AM   #25
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Really? You're going to waste our time with this irrelevant bit of unrelated neurobiology?
If you think I’m wasting your time, there is a very simple remedy.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 09:24 AM   #26
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Of course, in this case it is almost certainly “motivated change” - IOW, changing and fabricating stories as they go along to fit a desired narrative. Or “lying” in the common vernacular!
Given the number of things they denied happened and then had to admit did happen, this seems like an understatement.
Old 4th June 2018, 10:00 AM   #27
Susheel
Illuminator

I think the second paragraph in his post provides some context to what he intended to say.!
Old 4th June 2018, 11:28 AM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I think the second paragraph in his post provides some context to what he intended to say.!
I understand that. But the fact we all have false memories about the past has absolutely nothing to do with the situation we are discussing and it was an absurdly pedantic post.
Old 7th June 2018, 02:18 AM   #29
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Well, this is fun: https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/...22640118304768

Quote:
On April 11, I called Trump’s favorite architect to ask about jobs he did in Eastern Europe that recently drew Mueller’s eye.

Within hours, John Fotiadis closed down his 10 yr old architecture firm, deleted his portfolio and left Twitter. He’s still MIA.
Old 7th June 2018, 03:25 AM   #30
Susheel
Illuminator

I understand that. But the fact we all have false memories about the past has absolutely nothing to do with the situation we are discussing and it was an absurdly pedantic post.
"Of course, in this case it is almost certainly “motivated change” - IOW, changing and fabricating stories as they go along to fit a desired narrative. Or “lying” in the common vernacular!"
Old 7th June 2018, 11:25 AM   #31
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Nothing suspicious about that! Nothing at all!
Old 7th June 2018, 11:44 AM   #32
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

More details.

The only reason I can see for this guy running when asked questions about connections to Trump is tax evasion and money laundering, just like Manafort. It's almost a sure bet Trump has been laundering money and evading taxes himself and possibly the rest of the Trump family too.
Old 7th June 2018, 12:26 PM   #33
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

More details.

The only reason I can see for this guy running when asked questions about connections to Trump is tax evasion and money laundering, just like Manafort. It's almost a sure bet Trump has been laundering money and evading taxes himself and possibly the rest of the Trump family too.
Well, I'm pretty sure Barron wasn't doing any money laundering, so you can't say it was the ENTIRE trump family.

I wonder if there is some sort of "right of passage" for members of the Trump family, kind of like a Bar Mitzva. "Congratulations. You laundered your first million. You are now a man!"

We are Groot - Groot
Old 8th June 2018, 02:20 AM   #34
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Another connection between the Trump campaign and Russia
Old 8th June 2018, 03:25 AM   #35
logger
Banned

That was simply a ridiculous article, the left will try anything, even people benefitting from peace is somehow Trump colluding with Russia and paybacks. Lol
Old 8th June 2018, 05:52 AM   #36
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump thinks Russia should be part of G7(8) again
Old 8th June 2018, 10:03 AM   #37
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I guess Putin's latest check cleared.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2018, 10:08 AM   #38
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He needs a friend to go to the party with him.
Old 8th June 2018, 11:22 AM   #39
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

He needs a friend to go to the party with him.

Or they might just decide to have their own party.

Alt-G2?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2018, 11:59 AM   #40
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Or they might just decide to have their own party.

Alt-G2?
They need to do an Alt-F4.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics