IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 12th May 2020, 02:05 PM   #1001
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Steady now Laddies.

Remain calm.

Ignore the sworn statements of McCabe, Rice, Clapper, just released.

Just keep watching old footage of them constantly on friendly media claiming conclusive evidence POTUS is a Russian pawn.

Repeat.

Again Lads, DONT look at their sworn statements, and dont listen to kooks claiming Clapper, Rice, etc all swore under oath that they never saw any evidence of collusion.

We will get through this !

Dont look!

Do you have another source besides a Trump-friendly tabloid that will provide these alleged statements in full context?

Last edited by johnny karate; 12th May 2020 at 02:17 PM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 03:28 PM   #1002
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

NY Post. Wow....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 05:56 PM   #1003
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Steady now Laddies.

Remain calm.

Ignore the sworn statements of McCabe, Rice, Clapper, just released.

Just keep watching old footage of them constantly on friendly media claiming conclusive evidence POTUS is a Russian pawn.

Repeat.

Again Lads, DONT look at their sworn statements, and dont listen to kooks claiming Clapper, Rice, etc all swore under oath that they never saw any evidence of collusion.

We will get through this !

Dont look!

No, if you read closely it says they were asked whether they had personally seen direct evidence that Trump and Putin were conspiring, and they said no. They based their public statements on the same facts that were available to all of us, including Trump's open praise and affection for Putin, his son's secret meeting with someone who claimed to represent the Russian government, and Trump's known questionable financial dealings with Russian sources. They made the distinction between what they suspected and what they could prove. No contradiction there.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 08:56 PM   #1004
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Mmm. Looks like Flynn didn't quite get a get out of jail free card yet.

Quote:

A U.S. judge put on hold the Justice Department’s move to drop charges against Michael Flynn, saying he expects independent groups and legal experts to argue against the bid to exonerate President Trump’s former national security adviser of lying to the FBI.

U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan said in an order Tuesday that he expects individuals and organizations will seek to intervene in the politically charged case. Having others weigh in could preface more aggressive steps that the federal judge in Washington could take, including — as many outside observers have called for — holding a hearing to consider what to do.
Old 12th May 2020, 09:02 PM   #1005
Aridas

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Do you have another source besides a Trump-friendly tabloid that will provide these alleged statements in full context?
Are you sure that "friendly" adequately describes the level of bias that they demonstrate? I think that that is probably far, far too weak, personally. As for trustworthiness, well, it's a tabloid.
Old 13th May 2020, 05:13 PM   #1006
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
He's been retweeting calls for obama to be arrested, charged with treason and sent to Gitmo.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I've never seen anyone so intent on revealing himself as insecure, jealous and petty as Trump. I have to admit he is definitely the best at it I've ever seen.

But Obama is the one who has been making "uncalled for" statements (in private) and acting insufficiently presidential.

Just ask McConnell.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 05:16 PM   #1007
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
But Obama is the one who has been making "uncalled for" statements (in private) and acting insufficiently presidential.

Just ask McConnell.
Hey Kentucky! You've got an opportunity to help save the USA in November! Will you step up to it?
Old 13th May 2020, 05:17 PM   #1008
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
No rational person would want to bring up the whole Russia thing again. It won't go well for him. But he can't help himself and needs a distraction from Covid-19.
He who controls the past controls the future. Trump has nearly finished recreating the past. This will go well for him.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 10:55 PM   #1009
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
No rational person would want to bring up the whole Russia thing again. It won't go well for him. But he can't help himself and needs a distraction from Covid-19.
Actually I think that because it is a distraction from covid 19 that it might work.

Trump's feeble-minded supporters are convinced he did nothing wrong with russia because it didn't affect them personally (and they don't care if they lose democracy if they can still get guns). But Covid19 does affect them personally... Even the dumbest can see the health and economic impact.

Trying to remind everyone about Russia won't win him new supporters but might slow the loss of existing ones.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 08:34 AM   #1010
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Just ask McConnell.
They are so childish. To them, Trump always blaming and criticizing Obama is just fine, but Obama is never supposed to say anything to criticize Trump...

The GOP is a criminal organization and cult populated by adult toddlers.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 08:52 AM   #1011
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Just ask McConnell.
I'm very, very, very certain Mr. McConnell will grasp his pearl choker with his talons until they fracture from the stress once the current occupier vacates the Oval Office and, rare though it no doubt will be, offers a tweet of modest criticism of his successor.
Old 15th May 2020, 10:01 AM   #1012
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Actually I think that because it is a distraction from covid 19 that it might work.

Trump's feeble-minded supporters are convinced he did nothing wrong with russia because it didn't affect them personally (and they don't care if they lose democracy if they can still get guns). But Covid19 does affect them personally... Even the dumbest can see the health and economic impact.

Trying to remind everyone about Russia won't win him new supporters but might slow the loss of existing ones.

Good point.
Old 15th May 2020, 10:50 AM   #1013
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

FWIW, Obama has responded to the #Obamagate stuff: https://twitter.com/BarackObama/stat...04586359422979

Quote:
Vote.
Old 19th May 2020, 03:41 AM   #1014
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham is seeking broad powers to subpoena many Obama officials and Rod Rosenstein and Chrisopher Wray over the Russia investigation

If granted, I wonder if the new policy of subpoenas being opt-in will bite the Republicans on the arse?
Old 19th May 2020, 04:12 AM   #1015
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham is seeking broad powers to subpoena many Obama officials and Rod Rosenstein and Chrisopher Wray over the Russia investigation

If granted, I wonder if the new policy of subpoenas being opt-in will bite the Republicans on the arse?
Probably not. The people they want to subpoena believe in law and order and will answer a legal summons. The criminals are the ones sending out the subpoenas, after all.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 04:23 AM   #1016
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I agree. I was just sarcastically highlighting the gulf between what subpoenas mean when issued against this administration and what they mean when issued by this administration.
Old 19th May 2020, 12:22 PM   #1017
Childlike Empress
Banned

5/15/20 Ray McGovern on the Crumbling ‘Russiagate’ Narrative

The most unsurprising scandal ever unfolding. I told you years ago about the boomerang and how its hitting will be timed.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 03:23 PM   #1018
Lurch
Master Poster

If there's now occurring any "crumbling", it's because the previously uncovered illegality by a non-partisan Special Counsel is being undermined by a compliant Attorney General acting more like Trump's personal lawyer.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 09:47 PM   #1019
Aridas

Oh noes! Trump administration declassifies full Susan Rice email sent on Inauguration Day

The email describes a Jan. 5, 2017, Oval Office meeting about Michael Flynn and Russian interference in the 2016 election.

It's full of damning evidence like...

Quote:
The email, which memorialized the meeting two weeks after it happened, said Obama wanted to be sure “every aspect of this issue is handled by the Intelligence and law enforcement communities ‘by the book.’”

“The president stressed that he is not asking about, initiating or instructing anything from a law enforcement perspective,” the email continued. “He reiterated that our law enforcement team needs to proceed as it normally would by the book.”

The newly declassified portion describes Comey’s response.

“Director Comey affirmed that he is proceeding ‘by the book’ as it relates to law enforcement,” Rice wrote. “From a national security perspective, Comey said he does have some concerns that incoming NSA Flynn is speaking frequently with Russian Ambassador Kislyak. Comey said that could be an issue as it relates to sharing sensitive information. President Obama asked if Comey was saying that the NSC should not pass sensitive information related to Russia to Flynn. Comey replied ‘potentially.’ He added that he has no indication thus far that Flynn has passed classified information to Kislyak, but he noted that ‘the level of communication is unusual.’ The President asked Comey to inform him if anything changes in the next few weeks that should affect how we share classified information with the incoming team. Comey said that he would.”
Wanting everything done specifically "by the book," without political interference from the Obama Administration, and being wary about potential security threats? Such a scandal! Obamagate!
Old 19th May 2020, 10:01 PM   #1020
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Wanting everything done specifically "by the book," without political interference from the Obama Administration, and being wary about potential security threats? Such a scandal! Obamagate!
"The book" obviously refers to the Quran. Obamagate! Secret Muslim!
Old 20th May 2020, 10:39 AM   #1021
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't matter what the email says. Right wing liars (but I repeat myself) will say that it's a smoking gun, and the rest of the liars will repeat the lie. Eventually, the stupid racists who make up the largest section of Trump's base will pick it up. All they need is a tagline. Doesn't matter if it's a complete and utter lie that only someone with worms in their brain could believe sincerely.

Soon liars on this forum will start treating it as a proven fact.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 20th May 2020 at 10:43 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 01:52 PM   #1022
Cabbage
Banned

I saw this posted on another message board:

https://twitter.com/blakesmustache/s...35418137595905

Basically, it claims the Mueller investigation was actually a distraction from the real (FBI) investigation, which is just about ready to wrap up and hand Trump his ass.

I know nothing about Uncle Blazer or his credibility. Honestly, the thread reads like wishful thinking to me (though I wish it were true, too). Just wanted to drop it here to see if anyone else has anything to add to credit/discredit this claim.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 04:26 PM   #1023
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I saw this posted on another message board:

https://twitter.com/blakesmustache/s...35418137595905

Basically, it claims the Mueller investigation was actually a distraction from the real (FBI) investigation, which is just about ready to wrap up and hand Trump his ass.

I know nothing about Uncle Blazer or his credibility. Honestly, the thread reads like wishful thinking to me (though I wish it were true, too). Just wanted to drop it here to see if anyone else has anything to add to credit/discredit this claim.
FWIW Seth Abramson is very skeptical:
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...35367579758592
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 04:42 PM   #1024
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
He's not the only one who is skeptical. Like rolling eyes skeptical. I'd love to be prove wrong but I ain't holding my breath.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 05:57 PM   #1025
Cabbage
Banned

Thanks. Like I said, I'd like to believe it, but it looks too much like a bunch of pieces being forced to fit a narrative.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 06:35 PM   #1026
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah. Pretty much reads like a Q-nut post from the opposite side.
Old 25th June 2020, 07:24 AM   #1027
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/sta...682908160?s=20

Quote:
JUST IN: Judge Amy Berman Jackson making super clear to US Atty's office in DC that she wants to know if acquiesence in Roger Stone's request to delay prison is a special favor or really policy. Earlier: https://politi.co/3exR2Fa
Order embedded in tweet.
Old 25th June 2020, 04:01 PM   #1028
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Stone is Trump's twin when it comes to being a lying, narcissistic POS. The POTUS should never be allowed to pardon family or friends if such a law could be passed due to the Constitution granting the president pardon powers.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 05:51 AM   #1029
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Trump was briefed in March that Russia had offered bounties to Taliban militants for killing US troops.

Despite being given a range of options as a response, Trump has not authorised any response. Since being briefed, however, he has lobbied on Russia's behalf to be readmitted to G7.
Old 27th June 2020, 05:57 AM   #1030
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

American soldiers should feel honored to die for good of Trump's handler.
Old 27th June 2020, 06:08 AM   #1031
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Trump was briefed in March that Russia had offered bounties to Taliban militants for killing US troops.

Despite being given a range of options as a response, Trump has not authorised any response. Since being briefed, however, he has lobbied on Russia's behalf to be readmitted to G7.
I am surprised this hasn't gotten more media attention.

After all, it's a case of Russia supporting terrorist attacks on America, and Trump appeared to be A-OK with it.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 06:48 AM   #1032
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

I am not murican, but shouldn't that be considered at least borderline treasonous behavior?

I am quite sure I know how I would react if leader of my country behaved like that in situation like that.
Old 27th June 2020, 06:52 AM   #1033
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
I am not murican, but shouldn't that be considered at least borderline treasonous behavior?

I am quite sure I know how I would react if leader of my country behaved like that in situation like that.
Russia is not designated as an enemy, so no treason.
Old 27th June 2020, 08:09 AM   #1034
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Russia is not designated as an enemy, so no treason.
"legally" it might not be treason. But Russia is not an ally. They are a competitor who has engaged in hostile actions.

The term treason fits if used in a common vernacular way.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 27th June 2020, 01:12 PM   #1035
Aridas

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
"legally" it might not be treason. But Russia is not an ally. They are a competitor who has engaged in hostile actions.

The term treason fits if used in a common vernacular way.

The term treason has fit Trump pretty much all along, if used in the common vernacular way.

In the American constitution/legal way, it may not on technicalities, though, which has provided an out for those who don't like that.
Old 27th June 2020, 03:37 PM   #1036
zorro99
Graduate Poster

United States Constitution Article III Section 3: Treason against the
United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in
adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.
Old 27th June 2020, 04:12 PM   #1037
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Gee Russia has been doing that for years, since at least 2005.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 04:17 PM   #1038
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Gee Russia has been doing that for years, since at least 2005.
No it hasn’t.
Old 27th June 2020, 04:25 PM   #1039
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
No it hasn’t.
Yes the have just they didn't get caught, been going on since the war in Afganistan has been going on, Russia funded a lot of the BS. Of the early Propoganda war.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 04:34 PM   #1040
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
United States Constitution Article III Section 3: Treason against the
United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in
adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.
So when Trump accused Obama of treason a couple of days ago, he was wrong? What a surprise!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics