IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 20th July 2018, 04:18 AM   #201
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump doesn't even like stenographers at his meetings. There was an article about it recently with an ex-stenographer. IIRC, it was said that Trump doesn't want to be reminded of what people actually said, he wants to remember whatever he thinks was said.

But the thing here for me is that if there really is a Russian recording, and if Trump really did do or say anything he shouldn't have (which, let's be honest, he probably did), then whether or not Putin had Kompromat on Trump before the meeting is moot, because he does now.
Old 20th July 2018, 04:21 AM   #202
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I think that perhaps an interesting question is why Putin allowed a US translator to be there, if anything compromising was said. Putin speaks English - allegedly well enough to correct translators. So it doesn't seem that one was actually needed in order to communicate.
Old 20th July 2018, 04:59 AM   #203
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Trump doesn't even like stenographers at his meetings. There was an article about it recently with an ex-stenographer. IIRC, it was said that Trump doesn't want to be reminded of what people actually said, he wants to remember whatever he thinks was said.

But the thing here for me is that if there really is a Russian recording, and if Trump really did do or say anything he shouldn't have (which, let's be honest, he probably did), then whether or not Putin had Kompromat on Trump before the meeting is moot, because he does now.
Here's the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/o...ress-news.html
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 05:47 AM   #204
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
And was this the old, pro-Russia, Ukraine leadership ?
no.
It was basically a bribe to get a private meeting and public handshake with Trump to send a signal to Moscow that Ukraine was under Trump's protection.
In hindsight, it was money down the swamp.
Old 20th July 2018, 05:49 AM   #205
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
no.
It was basically a bribe to get a private meeting and public handshake with Trump to send a signal to Moscow that Ukraine was under Trump's protection.
In hindsight, it was money down the swamp.
Thanks for the clarification.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 06:45 AM   #206
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
I think that perhaps an interesting question is why Putin allowed a US translator to be there, if anything compromising was said. Putin speaks English - allegedly well enough to correct translators. So it doesn't seem that one was actually needed in order to communicate.
No, but using one makes them work on an equal footing, while still giving him the advantage of understanding everything said in the room.
Old 20th July 2018, 06:48 AM   #207
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
No, but using one makes them work on an equal footing, while still giving him the advantage of understanding everything said in the room.
But it also means that there's someone loyal to the US who understands everything that was said in the room. If Trump is truly under Putin's thumb, you'd have thought he'd want the meeting to remain as private as possible, at least from people on the US' side.
Old 20th July 2018, 08:18 AM   #208
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

But it also means that there's someone loyal to the US who understands everything that was said in the room. If Trump is truly under Putin's thumb, you'd have thought he'd want the meeting to remain as private as possible, at least from people on the US' side.
Assumes facts not in evidence. Who picked Trump's translator?
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 08:26 AM   #209
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Oh, OK, you mean who has the Sauron role.

I thought Saruman was the villain in the post. But I can't find it now.
Keep in mind that Saroun was really just an up-jumped lackey of Melkor…
Old 20th July 2018, 08:42 AM   #210
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
I've been thinking much the same thing. I think that it's quite worth asking the person to recount the meeting for the sake of things like understanding what agreements Trump's choosing to make that are absolutely required for things to function, but not to give undue trust to what's said. I would suggest demanding that Congress pointedly craft a law disallowing this from being doable in the future, either way.
Old 20th July 2018, 08:53 AM   #211
Dabop
Graduate Poster

Maybe he needed someone who spoke trumpeese to translate it into English?

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 09:15 AM   #212
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Of course who knows what President Trump agreed to in the meeting. There is no objective impartial record and President Trump has already demonstrated that his memory of events is quite malleable.
Actually, the referendum was raised in the later meeting with Pompeo and others present. Whether it was also raised in the earlier meeting remains, of course, a mystery.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 09:19 AM   #213
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Long-time State Dept. employee. But, interestingly, some translators say that they concentrate so much on translating the words at the moment that have limited memory of the conversation.
Quote:
“Do you really believe a person who has worked that hard, that intensely in that sort of way for so long, can really remember every detail of what she has done?” she said. “You’re listening, you’re writing, you’re figuring out how to render it in the other language, you’re repeating it.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/u...T.nav=top-news

The real issue is that even in a private meeting or phone call, there is customarily a notetaker documenting the conversation. What is Trump's protection that Putin couldn't make a false claim? Maybe Trump feels that any lie Putin tells couldn't be as damaging as the recorded truth.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 09:50 AM   #214
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Long-time State Dept. employee. But, interestingly, some translators say that they concentrate so much on translating the words at the moment that have limited memory of the conversation.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/u...T.nav=top-news

The real issue is that even in a private meeting or phone call, there is customarily a notetaker documenting the conversation. What is Trump's protection that Putin couldn't make a false claim? Maybe Trump feels that any lie Putin tells couldn't be as damaging as the recorded truth.
I can actually get on board with that. Unless something so outrageous was said that it struck home, you do tend to concentrate on the job at hand.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 11:31 AM   #215
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

This would surprise me nearly as much as the sun rising in the morning.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 11:33 AM   #216
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I hope that the US recorded it too. Were President Trump and the translator patted down and/or searched electronically for devices ? Even if there was no way to transmit our of the room, I hope one of them was wearing a recording device.

If Trump's sugardaddy Putin told him not to bring any recording devices, Trump wouldn't have the guts to try and sneak something in.

Putin, OTOH, would.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 03:00 PM   #217
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Personal recommendation from Putin...
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 05:52 PM   #218
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

it's not exacty a new gimmick. Charles De Gaulle spoke English quite fluently but still preferred to use a translator on most occasions because he felt it gave him a psychological advantage.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2018, 01:53 AM   #219
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
it's not exacty a new gimmick. Charles De Gaulle spoke English quite fluently but still preferred to use a translator on most occasions because he felt it gave him a psychological advantage.
That I get. The question is why a US translator, rather than a Russian translator.
Old 21st July 2018, 09:47 PM   #220
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

That I get. The question is why a US translator, rather than a Russian translator.

They both had their own translators. You may recall a kerfuffle when Trump met Putin at a conference with only a Russian translator, no Americans present at all. At least he didn't make that mistake this time.
Quote:
Gross, a translator for the State Department, can be seen sitting near Trump in images of the Helsinki, Finland meeting. Putin also had an interpreter at the meeting.
http://www.businessinsider.com/meet-...meeting-2018-7
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2018, 02:43 AM   #221
Aber
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
They both had their own translators.
My understanding is the interpreters translate into their own language only. So it's the Russian interpreter who has to make sense of what Trump is saying.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2018, 02:55 AM   #222
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Well... it's looking more and more like the Trump campaign did indeed capitalize on stolen information given to them by the Russians.
Old 22nd July 2018, 03:01 AM   #223
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
My understanding is the interpreters translate into their own language only. So it's the Russian interpreter who has to make sense of what Trump is saying.
What a job to have!
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2018, 03:12 AM   #224
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What a job to have!
I can translate "Yes Mr Putin", to "Da"

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2018, 05:23 AM   #225
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

White House considering removing sanctions from Russian aluminium company in which Oleg Deripaska - one of the 23 Russians indicted in Mueller's first round of indictments - is the major shareholder
Old 22nd July 2018, 05:42 AM   #226
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Nitpick: Deripaska hasn't been indicted in Mueller's investigation (yet?).
Old 22nd July 2018, 07:19 AM   #227
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Nitpick: Deripaska hasn't been indicted in Mueller's investigation (yet?).
You're right. I'm not quite sure where I got that from. Thank you for the correction.
Old 22nd July 2018, 08:14 AM   #228
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
If Trump's sugardaddy Putin told him not to bring any recording devices, Trump wouldn't have the guts to try and sneak something in.

Putin, OTOH, would.
I have to wonder, what's the protocol for body-searching heads of state? It would seem a diplomatic faux pas if one side insisted on even an electronic search of the other. Do they wear earpieces at these things?
Old 22nd July 2018, 08:38 AM   #229
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have to wonder, what's the protocol for body-searching heads of state? It would seem a diplomatic faux pas if one side insisted on even an electronic search of the other. Do they wear earpieces at these things?
But isn't it protocol for heads of criminal gangs?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2018, 09:22 AM   #230
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
But isn't it protocol for heads of criminal gangs?
Putin is the head of a gang, Benedict Donald is an underling. Only the untermensch is checked for a wire.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2018, 02:42 AM   #231
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/...71179138764801

Quote:
NEW: Russian hackers have penetrated U.S. electric utilities and are positioning themselves for an attack, reports @SmithRebecca https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian...say-1532388110 … via @WSJ
Let's see what the official response to this is. Since the President of Iran telling the US not to threaten Iran caused an all-caps declaration of war from Trump, an actual act of war from a hostile foreign power is bound to get a more forceful response, isn't it?
Old 24th July 2018, 06:22 AM   #232
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
Your understanding is correct. As a rule, you only translate into your native tongue, not any other.

That said, at need, one could translate from mother tongue to another language, but that is regarded as unprofessional. To be avoided unless there are no other options, or acceptable in casual conversation.

How do I know this? My sister is 30 years a professional translator. She collects translation clangers for laughs. The problem is always idioms that are normal to every language. For an apropos example, the simple english phrase "out of sight, out of mind" was translate from english to russian and then from russian back to english. The result was the phrase "invisible lunatic". While that has a certain strange logic to it, clearly the idiom has literally been lost in translation.

And don't ask for a reference. That one dates back to the '90s so no hope of that.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2018, 11:54 AM   #233
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Your understanding is correct. As a rule, you only translate into your native tongue, not any other.

That said, at need, one could translate from mother tongue to another language, but that is regarded as unprofessional. To be avoided unless there are no other options, or acceptable in casual conversation.

How do I know this? My sister is 30 years a professional translator. She collects translation clangers for laughs. The problem is always idioms that are normal to every language. For an apropos example, the simple english phrase "out of sight, out of mind" was translate from english to russian and then from russian back to english. The result was the phrase "invisible lunatic". While that has a certain strange logic to it, clearly the idiom has literally been lost in translation.

And don't ask for a reference. That one dates back to the '90s so no hope of that.

That may be an urban legend. Here's the same story, except the language is Japanese.
https://talesfromthemindofkristian.w...re-than-words/

In a case where both sides have translators, the translators themselves will consult each other about slang and idioms. Even British and American English have some disparities. A Russian translator trained in British English might not grasp Trumpisms without some help from the American.
Old 24th July 2018, 12:39 PM   #234
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Quote:
I’m very concerned that Russia will be fighting very hard to have an impact on the upcoming Election. Based on the fact that no President has been tougher on Russia than me, they will be pushing very hard for the Democrats. They definitely don’t want Trump!
(tweet)

Does anyone actually buy into this?
Old 24th July 2018, 12:53 PM   #235
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
(tweet)

Needless to say(?) the hardcore deplorables will buy anything he says.
Old 24th July 2018, 01:20 PM   #236
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

(tweet)

If the Dems succeed in taking back either or both houses of Congress, he can say it was because of Russian meddling. Of course, their meddling didn't help him in 2016...

His base supporters believe everything he says. Those with an IQ slightly higher know he lies. They just don't care because he going to "MAGA".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2018, 01:32 PM   #237
Venom
Philosopher

Let's not dismiss this scenario too easily.

Russian intelligence may very well work to carry this out, if only to muddy the waters even more. Putin always has a bag of tricks he's used for decades, and Americans keep falling for it because for most people, every action is relatively cut and dried, with no deeper method. A lot of Trump's opponents' collusion jokes for instance; Trump meeting his handler or his boss, "collusion in plain sight", may not be so plain.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2018, 01:38 PM   #238
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Let's not dismiss this scenario too easily.
On the other hand, Trump was making similar claims before the last election.
Old 24th July 2018, 01:57 PM   #239
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

(tweet)

Hmm...let's see. Who is asking to protect the Russia investigation and calling for Trump to come clean on his private meeting with Putin and who is acting like a Russian whore? Gee it's a toughy.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2018, 02:03 PM   #240
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

(tweet)

This is him directly asking Russia to start interfering more actively.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics