IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 26th July 2018, 05:28 PM   #281
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Another coincidence I'm sure.
Claire McCaskill was targetted by Russian hackers shortly after Trump encouraged folks to vote her out
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 06:11 PM   #282
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

So here's the news. Cohen says Trump knew in advance about Trump Tower meeting, was informed by Don Jr., signed off and looked forward to getting the dirt.
Giuliani's galaxy brain explanation for this is going to be epic.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 06:31 PM   #283
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I'm shocked, I say! Shocked!

My poor heart, why must you keep shocking it so very much! All these things are such a huge surprise! No one could have seen them coming!
Old 26th July 2018, 07:16 PM   #284
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Only a fool thinks Donnie Jr. (or Eric) farted without his father's permission. Of course he knew about it. Only a fool thinks that the sons don't consult their father about the business, either. Trump knows everything that goes on in his company. He's a controller.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 07:27 PM   #285
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

This is local news for me. Didn't Trump say, just this week, that the Russians want Democrats to win?

Tell me again how the Republicans aren't in bed with the Russians?
Old 27th July 2018, 01:04 AM   #286
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Giuliani's galaxy brain explanation for this is going to be epic.
AIUI, his defence was to say that Cohen has lied for decades and therefore cannot be trusted. That Cohen lied as part of his job as Trump's lawyer is something he skipped over.
Old 27th July 2018, 01:06 AM   #287
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The most significant thing about the latest Cohen news, as far as I'm concerned isn't that Trump knew about the Trump Tower meeting, because of course he did, it's that he's saying that Trump knew about the Trump Tower meeting. Another bit of evidence that he is about to flip or has already flipped.
Old 27th July 2018, 01:30 AM   #288
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The most significant thing about the latest Cohen news, as far as I'm concerned isn't that Trump knew about the Trump Tower meeting, because of course he did, it's that he's saying that Trump knew about the Trump Tower meeting. Another bit of evidence that he is about to flip or has already flipped.
And we haven't even gotten to Papadopoulos yet, or the charges that will be almost certainly be brought against Carter Page. I'll "boldly" predict that we'll have confirmation that Trump knew exactly what the witches were brewing.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 27th July 2018 at 01:32 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 01:43 AM   #289
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
And we haven't even gotten to Papadopoulos yet, or the charges that will be almost certainly be brought against Carter Page. I'll "boldly" predict that we'll have confirmation that Trump knew exactly what the witches were brewing.
Manafort will be the most interesting if he flips, because he's the one that Trump has allegedly said he's the most worried about.
Old 27th July 2018, 02:15 AM   #290
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Manafort will be the most interesting if he flips, because he's the one that Trump has allegedly said he's the most worried about.
Yes, and if that trial connects money laundering with Trump incessantly kissing Putin's ass, it won't matter if Manafort flips. People go to prison based on circumstantial evidence every day.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 04:32 AM   #291
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
People go to prison based on circumstantial evidence every day.
Poor people, yes. Rich people play by a different set of rules. If Trump and his associates had merely been stealing money from a 7-11, his ass would have been in jail for witness tampering the moment he said "that Russia thing."
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 06:23 AM   #292
eeyore1954
Philosopher

When you need a sleazy lawyer don't be surprised when he turns out to be sleazy.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 07:35 AM   #293
beren
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
When you need a sleazy lawyer don't be surprised when he turns out to be sleazy.
When someone hires a sleazy lawyer for many years, don't be surprised when they turn out to be corrupt.
Old 27th July 2018, 09:19 AM   #294
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 10:40 AM   #295
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/statu...29966910742529

Quote:
Breaking: Russian President Putin says he is ready to go to Washington and has invited President Trump to Moscow under “necessary conditions.”
Old 27th July 2018, 10:44 AM   #296
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
(Picture of 2 "Russian" guards guarding Trump's star on walk of fame)
Brilliant! Although not quite as good as the one who actually built a tiny little wall around it.

That's what we need... more mockery of Trump, less of the petty destructive stuff. We don't need an excuse for the Trump base to point to his critics and say "look how bad they are... breaking the law".

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 10:45 AM   #297
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/statu...29966910742529

Breaking: Russian President Putin says he is ready to go to Washington...
Aren't landlords supposed to give more of a warning before they enter property that they own?

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 10:48 AM   #298
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

That's what we need... more mockery of Trump, less of the petty destructive stuff.
On my Facebook feed some were taking joy in the vandalism against Betsy DeVoss’s yacht. I thought that was disgusting.

But I thought the Russian Guards were very clever.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 11:03 AM   #299
Aridas

On my Facebook feed some were taking joy in the vandalism against Betsy DeVoss’s yacht. I thought that was disgusting.
Oh, her yacht was vandalized? Can't say that I find that disgusting so much as petty and counterproductive, myself.

Indeed. That's a much better form of protest.
Old 27th July 2018, 11:38 AM   #300
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Vandalizing takes no creativity or intelligence. Even those who despise DeVoss would largely disapprove of it and it would not get the response desired. Building a tiny wall around Trump's star and placing "Russian" guards there gets the desired response.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 11:39 AM   #301
Aridas

A couple stories from the Daily Kos of some relevance to the thread -

FEC complaint: company laundered Ukrainian money to give to Trump-allied super-PAC

Putin sics his Night Wolves on NATO allies. Trump does nothing. Republicans cower.

Putin invites Trump to Moscow after turning down trip to DC—and Trump says he's going
Old 27th July 2018, 11:51 AM   #302
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
When you need a sleazy lawyer you are a sleaze, IMO. I could be wrong; if you have an argument against that bit of logic I'd like to hear it.

It sounds to me like you're saying Trump is sleazy. And maybe that's OK with you; you may have other reasons to support him. But are you saying he's a sleazy human being? Does it occur to you that he could be conning his voters on a massive scale?

Even if you want no abortion rights, why Trump? Pence would fit your agenda quite well, which is why not many Democrats really want to impeach Trump.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 01:15 PM   #303
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
When you need a sleazy lawyer you are a sleaze, IMO. I could be wrong; if you have an argument against that bit of logic I'd like to hear it.

It sounds to me like you're saying Trump is sleazy. And maybe that's OK with you; you may have other reasons to support him. But are you saying he's a sleazy human being? Does it occur to you that he could be conning his voters on a massive scale?

Even if you want no abortion rights, why Trump? Pence would fit your agenda quite well, which is why not many Democrats really want to impeach Trump.
Pence would be a much better choice for anti-abortion folks. Plus he'd piss off Libs just as much, especially on gay rights.
Old 27th July 2018, 01:40 PM   #304
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It seems like the sunk cost fallacy being applied to politics: He's already president so let's ride it out.
Old 27th July 2018, 01:44 PM   #305
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

It seems like the sunk cost fallacy being applied to politics: He's already president so let's ride it out.
No, more like the cult of personality. Trump didn't get to pretend to be a successful, forceful business leader on TV for nothing.
Old 27th July 2018, 02:28 PM   #306
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Pence would be a much better choice for anti-abortion folks. Plus he'd piss off Libs just as much, especially on gay rights.
I can't think of many people I would hate more as President as Pence. But Trump is definitely on the list.
Old 27th July 2018, 02:39 PM   #307
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Journalist and Trump biographer talks about Trump:
Quote:
“We know the Russians have been courting Donald, spending money on him and putting money in his pocket for more than 30 years,” he said. “Donald’s son, one of his sons, has said they were getting lots of money from Russians, and he’d been deeply involved with deals… with Russian gangsters.”
https://www.salon.com/2018/07/27/tru...rumps_partner/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 03:01 PM   #308
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

While I hardly approve of vandalism, I'm not shedding crocodile tears about one of many of Betsy Devoss's many yachts. Also, it's very possible, that it wasn't vandalized at all. It's a 40 million dollar yacht that sustained less than $10,000 in damages.
Old 27th July 2018, 04:04 PM   #309
Aridas

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
While I hardly approve of vandalism, I'm not shedding crocodile tears about one of many of Betsy Devoss's many yachts. Also, it's very possible, that it wasn't vandalized at all. It's a 40 million dollar yacht that sustained less than $10,000 in damages.
Ehh, I figured that it was probably just something like spray paint, as it was. Cheap, relatively easy to do, and get away clean from.
Old 27th July 2018, 04:19 PM   #310
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Ehh, I figured that it was probably just something like spray paint, as it was. Cheap, relatively easy to do, and get away clean from.
The report I read said some wag untied it from its mooring.
Old 27th July 2018, 04:41 PM   #311
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Someone untied it and it scraped against the dock. The DeVoss family will need to use one of their other 9 yachts while it gets repainted.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 04:49 PM   #312
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

A subtle critique of the Trump Administration, no doubt.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 08:03 PM   #313
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Like sailor, like boat.
Old 27th July 2018, 08:56 PM   #314
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It became untied from its mooring. That much is true. That it wasn't properly tied off is a possibility.
Old 28th July 2018, 06:54 AM   #315
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

It's almost like there are debts that need repaying:
Mnuchin says Treasury might lift sanctions on Oleg Deripaska’s aluminum company, even though the Russian oligarch was sanctioned just thrree months ago by the US to punish the Kremlin for meddling in the 2016 election. (my latest with @donnaborak)
Old 28th July 2018, 09:39 AM   #316
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I'm guessing those are the same guys that were giving out the Russian flag at a Trump rally.

It's funny, though.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2018, 10:37 AM   #317
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Hillary was holding up a Russian fur hat at one of her speeches. Guess it was just to hot to wear it.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2018, 10:54 AM   #318
carrps
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
. For an apropos example, the simple english phrase "out of sight, out of mind" was translate from english to russian and then from russian back to english. The result was the phrase "invisible lunatic". While that has a certain strange logic to it, clearly the idiom has literally been lost in translation.

And don't ask for a reference. That one dates back to the '90s so no hope of that.
I actually heard that one in the 70s. For some reason, my brain is connecting it with a Michael Frayn novel "Tin Men."

Edit: and the phrase "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" was translated as "the whiskey is strong, but the meat is underdone."

Last edited by carrps; 28th July 2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added one more translation
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2018, 10:55 AM   #319
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I love how quickly and easily some have been manipulated into claiming that the Russians were actively helping Clinton win. I mean, it wasn't even a fortnight ago that Putin himself clearly and unequivocally said that he wanted Trump to win.
Old 28th July 2018, 11:01 AM   #320
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Hillary was holding up a Russian fur hat at one of her speeches. Guess it was just to hot to wear it.
She was keeping it out of Trump's reach when he mistook it for another furry object. He does tend to get grabby whenever anything furry gets near his little hands.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics