IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , nicknames , politics humor

Old 22nd May 2020, 01:57 PM   #641
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Better the devil you don't know, perhaps?

Other than the influence of your own thoughts about Trump, what would you say is the biggest influence he's had on your life? As in, policies that affect you directly.
That is, of course, an amusing bit of thought exercise, especially for people who are selfish and have no interest in the future of our country or the planet.

From the purely personal point of view, as usual, Trump is probably doing me no harm, perhaps even good. I'm retired, white, heterosexual, live rurally, have income from stocks, pay taxes. So sure, in the short term, without regard for what happens to the poor, or future generations, or any of the other abstract stuff that some people consider worth talking about, whenever I vote against a bigoted, anti-scientific, anti-environmental, corrupt, lying idiot like Trump and his cronies, I probably vote against my short-term self interest. Shame on me.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:50 PM   #642
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
That is, of course, an amusing bit of thought exercise, especially for people who are selfish and have no interest in the future of our country or the planet.
It was wasapi who introduced the lived experience criterion. If we're judging Trump based on effects we've heard about but not experienced directly, then we can certainly judge Attila "the Hun" the same way. You're taking me to task over wasapi's feigned ignorance.

Anyway, have you found your Forever Trump Nickname yet? Mine is still "Covidfefe".
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 03:27 PM   #643
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It was wasapi who introduced the lived experience criterion. If we're judging Trump based on effects we've heard about but not experienced directly, then we can certainly judge Attila "the Hun" the same way. You're taking me to task over wasapi's feigned ignorance.

Anyway, have you found your Forever Trump Nickname yet? Mine is still "Covidfefe".
The question was not specifically aimed. If you find yourself in its way, fine, but if you're not, fine too. I'm quite willing to judge Attila the Hun as having been a bad fellow, despite my not personally feeling his arrows. I was also never skewered by Vlad the Impaler, and yet I feel it reasonable to suggest that he's not a model of good behavior.

But looking at it from a strictly personal point of view, assuming that the world ends when I die, a lot of conservative policies serve my self-interest. I can cast my ineffectual vote, and live like a rich libertarian without having to be actively hypocritical.

We make a lot of judgments based on what we believe is the right or wrong thing to do, without having to experience everything directly.

Covidfefe is OK, but it's a bit of a mouthful.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:24 PM   #644
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The question was not specifically aimed. If you find yourself in its way, fine, but if you're not, fine too.
You lost me. What question?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:30 PM   #645
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

You lost me. What question?
Sorry not sure why I wrote "question" when I meant "comment."

Old 23rd May 2020, 02:57 AM   #646
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Covidfefe is OK, but it's a bit of a mouthful.
I'd change covfefe to CoVfefe in response to his handling of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

I know, explaining the joke spoils it.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:56 AM   #647
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump would. And the dog just brought coffee.

Wouldn't he claim that Obama was the one who bit them, and then the fake-news media blamed it on the dog?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:34 AM   #648
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

"feigned ignorance"?

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...urt-americans/
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:00 PM   #649
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I had to laugh at the photo of Trump at the top of that article. He's trying to appear big and tough. He's probably thinking about beating his chest like a Silverback gorilla.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:18 PM   #650
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Yes. You're evaluating Trump based on stuff you've heard or read about him, rather than stuff you've personally experienced. You can evaluate Attila the Hun the same way, but you pretend you can't.
Old 24th May 2020, 04:46 AM   #651
Cheetah
Master Poster

The difference is everyone in the world has seen and heard what a despicable person Trump is. With their own eyes and ears. Firsthand. Multiple times. Live on TV.
Not so much Attila.
Old 24th May 2020, 07:11 AM   #652
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
The difference is everyone in the world has seen and heard what a despicable person Trump is. With their own eyes and ears. Firsthand. Multiple times. Live on TV.
Not so much Attila.
If you follow this conversation back, you'll see that the difference doesn't matter to the question of who was worse.

What's the worst thing you've witnessed with your own eyes and ears about Trump? What's the worst thing you've heard or read about the Hun? Compare the two - which is worse?

Not that it matters much. Follow the conversation a little further back, and you'll see that the previous question is whether Trump is so bad that, like Attila the Hun, he doesn't need a nickname. That's the question wasapi says she can't answer, because she's never experienced life under the Hun. Me, I'm perfectly comfortable nicknaming Trump based on secondhand reports rather than my own lived experience of the man. I think if we restricted it to personal lived experiences of the man, and we were being honest, most of us would have to go with the nickname, "President Nothingburger".

Again, not that it matters much. We're talking about finding a nickname for Donald Trump. This is not anything important.

Last edited by theprestige; 24th May 2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 24th May 2020, 08:55 AM   #653
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I do think the Attila/Trump issue is a little backwards. What makes a person's name an insult without accompanying epithets is not what one experiences during his tenure, but what history decides after.

We don't need epithets for Attila the Hun because he has been made an icon of nastiness by history. From what I've read he was really pretty nasty, but it really doesn't matter anyway. Whether or not you have any knowledge of his historical role, his name alone invokes an idea of invasion, pillage, rape, cultural sabotage, and an unforgiving heartlessness that is often a stand-in for ultra-conservatism. The groundlessness of the latter doesn't make it any less understandable that when one is said to be "to the right of Attila the Hun" it's understood as a grave insult.

It's convenient to have some names that stand for notable behavior, and membership in that class depends in part on convenient placement and timing, as well as character. You don't need historical analysis or a sea of words to know what's meant when you bring up Stalin or Quisling or Benedict Arnold - or for Gandhi, for that matter.

To suggest that Trump's name alone is enough is largely predictive, based on some people's opinion of how his policies and actions will appear in the future, but ultimately it will depend on how history judges him, and on the aftermath of his policies, more than on how people see things right now. If he's nowhere near as bad as Attila or ten times worse won't really matter if history finds it handy to use the name Trump as shorthand for a certain sort of leader.

Old 24th May 2020, 08:56 AM   #654
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Unlike Trump, Attila was actually a leader.
Old 24th May 2020, 10:08 AM   #655
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I do think the Attila/Trump issue is a little backwards. What makes a person's name an insult without accompanying epithets is not what one experiences during his tenure, but what history decides after.

We don't need epithets for Attila the Hun because he has been made an icon of nastiness by history. From what I've read he was really pretty nasty, but it really doesn't matter anyway. Whether or not you have any knowledge of his historical role, his name alone invokes an idea of invasion, pillage, rape, cultural sabotage, and an unforgiving heartlessness that is often a stand-in for ultra-conservatism. The groundlessness of the latter doesn't make it any less understandable that when one is said to be "to the right of Attila the Hun" it's understood as a grave insult.

It's convenient to have some names that stand for notable behavior, and membership in that class depends in part on convenient placement and timing, as well as character. You don't need historical analysis or a sea of words to know what's meant when you bring up Stalin or Quisling or Benedict Arnold - or for Gandhi, for that matter.

To suggest that Trump's name alone is enough is largely predictive, based on some people's opinion of how his policies and actions will appear in the future, but ultimately it will depend on how history judges him, and on the aftermath of his policies, more than on how people see things right now. If he's nowhere near as bad as Attila or ten times worse won't really matter if history finds it handy to use the name Trump as shorthand for a certain sort of leader.
I agree with all of this.
Old 29th May 2020, 09:32 AM   #656
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

As my how my life is personally different under President Trump. I have had to give up discussing politics on certain boards. Not because US politics has become too partisan to discuss, but rather because the rules of debate have disappeared under President Trump’s tenure.

I’ve already mentioned that on another cite, I asked for a citation on an unsubstantiated claim and the response I received was “**** you.”
We live in a post-factual world.
Furthermore, President Trump has done more to perpetuate and to create conspiracy theories than every president for the past 100 years combined (I’m leaving off the 1800s because political attacks got pretty wacky back then). This man has convinced 35-45% of America to not believe statements made by his own administration. And if that weren’t bad enough, he has taken the idea of “don’t believe anything unless I personally state it” to the absurd level of “don’t believe anything unless I personally state it today.”

Who knows how long it will take to get people to believe in an objective reality that can be described by facts?
Old 29th May 2020, 10:06 PM   #657
Lurch
Master Poster

Back to nicks, and one I'd like the wilting snowflake to see...

Donnie Jouncy Tubby-Rump

Recall the snapshot of him on the tennis court, with his marbled arse practically busting outta his shorts. Ugh.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2020, 09:51 AM   #658
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Randy Rainbow has come up with a new nickname:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2020, 10:11 AM   #659
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

yt;dw

Do you like the nickname? Are you going to start using it?
Old 7th June 2020, 12:24 PM   #660
portlandatheist
Illuminator

yt;dw

Do you like the nickname? Are you going to start using it?
It is Bunker Boy. I cannot speak for Dann, but I think it has a nice ring to it.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2020, 12:30 PM   #661
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Bunker Boy.

I like it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2020, 12:41 PM   #662
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
It is Bunker Boy. I cannot speak for Dann, but I think it has a nice ring to it.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Bunker Boy.

I like it.
Yeah, but are you going to start using it?

Mumbles refers to President Trump as "Dolt 45" almost exclusively. Someone else here, I forget who, is pretty consistent with the "Cheeto Benito".

I haven't noticed any of these other nicknames, outside of singular mentions in this thread (and quotes of those posts). Where is the courage to go with these convictions?
Old 7th June 2020, 12:59 PM   #663
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Bunker Boy.

I like it.
Bunker Baby might be even better.
Old 7th June 2020, 01:01 PM   #664
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Mumbles refers to President Trump as "Dolt 45" almost exclusively. Someone else here, I forget who, is pretty consistent with the "Cheeto Benito".

I haven't noticed any of these other nicknames, outside of singular mentions in this thread (and quotes of those posts). Where is the courage to go with these convictions?
I usually refer to him as just Trump but you are right, I should be more consistent and use my favorite nickname: The Orange Menace.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2020, 01:02 PM   #665
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think the President ( or Oompa Troompa, if you prefer) referring to Secretary Clinton as Crooked Hillary exemplifies courage. Quite the opposite, IMO.
Old 7th June 2020, 01:18 PM   #666
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I don't think the President ( or Oompa Troompa, if you prefer) referring to Secretary Clinton as Crooked Hillary exemplifies courage. Quite the opposite, IMO.
It's a figure of speech. Besides, courageous or not, it actually stuck in your head.

It doesn't take much courage to make a good nickname stick. Or even to make a bad nickname stick. All you have to do is use it repeatedly.
Old 7th June 2020, 01:29 PM   #667
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

It's a figure of speech. Besides, courageous or not, it actually stuck in your head.

It doesn't take much courage to make a good nickname stick. Or even to make a bad nickname stick. All you have to do is use it repeatedly.
It did stick in my head, but associated with how undignified our Chief Executive is. When I hear "Crooked Hillary" the first thing that comes to mind is that the President has the mind of a spoiled, bratty child.

A clever/witty nickname may have done wonders. But he is not a clever or witty man, as he reminds us daily.
Old 7th June 2020, 01:30 PM   #668
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Old 7th June 2020, 02:48 PM   #669
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It did stick in my head, but associated with how undignified our Chief Executive is. When I hear "Crooked Hillary" the first thing that comes to mind is that the President has the mind of a spoiled, bratty child.

A clever/witty nickname may have done wonders. But he is not a clever or witty man, as he reminds us daily.
I think you've said it more often than I have, at this point. I'll take your word for it that it comes out as an anti-Trump thing to you, when you say it.
Old 7th June 2020, 02:55 PM   #670
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Bunker Baby Blubber Trumper.

Last edited by alfaniner; 7th June 2020 at 03:05 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2020, 02:57 PM   #671
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think three syllables works better than four. Brevity is the soul of wit.
Old 7th June 2020, 03:12 PM   #672
Venom
Philosopher

I just like the name John Barron or David Dennison, two of his aliases.

I think there's something about an alias that hits harder than a nickname made up by political opponents. They allude to events that are potentially embarrassing to Trump and that may make them more powerful than just "Don the Con" or simply flipping Trump's nicknames back at him.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2020, 03:17 PM   #673
Cabbage
Banned

And after all, that's all it takes for Trump Trash to follow Trump:

If Trump uses it repeatedly, Trump Trash will believe!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2020, 03:34 PM   #674
Cabbage
Banned

Hmmm...that didn't stop you from repeatedly pimping "covidfefe" on the previous page, for some reason. And let's face it, "covidfefe" doesn't roll off the tongue anywhere near as well as "Bunker Baby".
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2020, 03:42 PM   #675
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is only half-brief.
Old 7th June 2020, 03:44 PM   #676
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I just like the name John Barron or David Dennison, two of his aliases.

I think there's something about an alias that hits harder than a nickname made up by political opponents.
Interesting hypothesis. I wonder if there's any way to test it. My impression is that aliases don't carry much weight at all, unless they're really hammered home by a consistent and long-running narrative that emphasizes them. Like if the media were running weekly stories about the aliases, and repeating phrases like, "Donald Trump, a.k.a., John Barron", then yeah.

Otherwise... who's going to notice or care? Probably any nickname that relies on the events of a single weekly news cycle isn't going to have much staying power.
Old 12th June 2020, 08:58 AM   #677
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I’m starting to like FourFlusher.

Especially because it can refer to two things.
Old 12th June 2020, 10:37 AM   #678
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Nacho Nacho Man.

(or, if it's OK to make an innocuous side reference to Barron -- Nacho Daddy.)
Old 12th June 2020, 10:45 AM   #679
Ulf Nereng
Muse

In the viking style (examples of that: Aud the Deepthinker, Harald Bluetooth, Erik Bloodaxe) :

Donald Lyingmouth

Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 10:51 AM   #680
sackett
Philosopher

Archie Bunker.

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics