IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jack Burkman , Jacob Wohl

Old 6th May 2019, 06:32 AM   #41
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
One thing that secret agents do a lot is to tweet photos of themselves doing the secret agent training.

carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 08:18 AM   #42
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
One thing that secret agents do a lot is to tweet photos of themselves doing the secret agent training.

https://i.imgur.com/rVe7QWl.jpg
That is a seriously awkward pose from that "classified" location.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 08:25 AM   #43
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
That is a seriously awkward pose from that "classified" location.
We use pistols with supressors in the mountains so as not to cause avalanches or disturb the bighorn sheep.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 09:25 AM   #44
Border Reiver
Philosopher

We use pistols with supressors in the mountains so as not to cause avalanches or disturb the bighorn sheep.
While wearing facemasks?

is the shooter worried the sheep will be able to ID him?
Old 6th May 2019, 09:40 AM   #45
plague311
Great minds think...

The part I'm most confused about is wearing camouflage in snowy terrain.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 09:55 AM   #46
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
While wearing facemasks?

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
The part I'm most confused about is wearing camouflage in snowy terrain.

...and what does any of that have to do with making fake videos?
Old 6th May 2019, 10:06 AM   #47
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
**** all probably. Who cares? Was this thread going in a much needed direction before this quasi-derail?

It's mocking the people making the videos, so it's close enough for thread drift. What grandiose insight would you like beyond what's been already stated? They're morons, they make fake videos and they should be mocked.

Have I left anything out?
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 10:20 AM   #48
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
**** all probably. Who cares? Was this thread going in a much needed direction before this quasi-derail?

It's mocking the people making the videos, so it's close enough for thread drift. What grandiose insight would you like beyond what's been already stated? They're morons, they make fake videos and they should be mocked.

Have I left anything out?

Uhm, yes, that was continuing the mocking. They're training to be better at faking videos by shooting silenced pistols in the mountains.....
Old 6th May 2019, 10:21 AM   #49
carlitos
"más divertido"

O'Keefe wants Veritas to evolve from making fake videos into a full-blown private intelligence service. Presumably to compliment Erik Prince's private army, navy and air force.
Old 6th May 2019, 12:09 PM   #50
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

O'Keefe wants Veritas to evolve from making fake videos into a full-blown private intelligence service. Presumably to compliment Erik Prince's private army, navy and air force.

And that's the most confusing part. As much as I dislike Erik Prince, he doesn't strike me as being a complete ******* idiot. So why was he screwing around with these clowns?
Old 6th May 2019, 12:24 PM   #51
carlitos
"más divertido"

Erik Prince is indeed a complete ******* idiot. He has never once failed to fail, at each and every one of his endeavors.
Old 6th May 2019, 01:32 PM   #52
plague311
Great minds think...

Uhm, yes, that was continuing the mocking. They're training to be better at faking videos by shooting silenced pistols in the mountains.....
I apologize Horatius, I completely misunderstood. My fault
Old 6th May 2019, 01:37 PM   #53
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
While wearing facemasks?

Is that supposed to be O'Keefe? Isn't he a convicted felon, and should not have guns? Might be why he'd wear a mask.
Old 6th May 2019, 03:53 PM   #54
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Getting back to the current idiot.
Jacob Wohl plans to hold a press conference on his Pete Buttigieg sexual assault smear on Wednesday

Confusingly, the Wohl/Burkman ultimatum deadline — Friday, May 7th, 2019 — is a day that doesn’t exist.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 07:57 PM   #55
carlitos
"más divertido"

I hope Burkmam reminds Siri to remind him to zip up before the press conference. He can set the reminder for Friday, May 7.
Old 6th May 2019, 09:17 PM   #56
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Any lawyers want to weigh in on this?

Have they done anything criminal? (It seems like it should be to me, but I don't know which laws would apply.)

Secondly, what about a civil action from Buttigieg for defamation?
Old 7th May 2019, 04:17 AM   #57
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Any lawyers want to weigh in on this?

Have they done anything criminal? (It seems like it should be to me, but I don't know which laws would apply.)

Secondly, what about a civil action from Buttigieg for defamation?
This was briefly covered in last week's "All the President's Lawyers" Podcast with Josh Barro and Ken White (popehat), which i find to be a pretty good podcast covering legal matters and politics. https://www.npr.org/podcasts/6158461...idents-lawyers

Popehat basically summarized that the Buttigieg smear was not criminal so long as no one made a false police report. So far, it seems, the entire fraudulent claim has just been a PR smear and not reported as a crime by the fraudsters. It is clearly defamation, but that is strictly a civil tort and not a crime at this point. Someone serious like Buttigieg is unlikely to pursue a conspiracy crank like Wohl in court because doing so would just elevate Wohl to a brighter spotlight, even though Wohl would undoubtedly lose. It's hard to say for sure if Wohl has any assets that could be seized as damages anyway, so he may not really even get punished that way.

There was some speculation that the young man who was fraudulently named as the supposed victim could sue as well.

Popehat has said in the past that Wohl seems to be tiptoeing up to big-boy crimes, but hasn't quite made the plunge. Undoubtedly he will do something stupid in this press conference, it remains to be seen if it is criminal.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 7th May 2019 at 04:26 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 08:20 AM   #58
carrps
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Popehat has said in the past that Wohl seems to be tiptoeing up to big-boy crimes, but hasn't quite made the plunge. Undoubtedly he will do something stupid in this press conference, it remains to be seen if it is criminal.
Wasn't he convicted of securities fraud already? Seems pretty "big-boy" to me!
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 08:26 AM   #59
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Wasn't he convicted of securities fraud already? Seems pretty "big-boy" to me!
Yes, he was banned from the exchange and payed some fines. No jail time. The action was regulatory, not criminal.

I'm looking forward to him being charged by the feds for some sort of fraud or conspiracy that results in him being a convicted felon. Tomorrow's a new day.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 7th May 2019 at 08:29 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 10:15 PM   #60
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Yes, he was banned from the exchange and payed some fines. No jail time. The action was regulatory, not criminal.

I'm looking forward to him being charged by the feds for some sort of fraud or conspiracy that results in him being a convicted felon. Tomorrow's a new day.
At this point he should be locked up not as punishment, but to protect him from himself.

This guy is so far off the rails it's down right fascinating.
Old 8th May 2019, 03:11 AM   #61
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

This was briefly covered in last week's "All the President's Lawyers" Podcast with Josh Barro and Ken White (popehat), which i find to be a pretty good podcast covering legal matters and politics. https://www.npr.org/podcasts/6158461...idents-lawyers

Popehat basically summarized that the Buttigieg smear was not criminal so long as no one made a false police report. So far, it seems, the entire fraudulent claim has just been a PR smear and not reported as a crime by the fraudsters. It is clearly defamation, but that is strictly a civil tort and not a crime at this point. Someone serious like Buttigieg is unlikely to pursue a conspiracy crank like Wohl in court because doing so would just elevate Wohl to a brighter spotlight, even though Wohl would undoubtedly lose. It's hard to say for sure if Wohl has any assets that could be seized as damages anyway, so he may not really even get punished that way.

There was some speculation that the young man who was fraudulently named as the supposed victim could sue as well.

Thanks for the response. Wohl's father was one of the first to tweet about it, but later deleted the tweet. He's probably got more assets than his son, although I don't know. Obviously he has failed spectacularly as a parent and is reinforcing his son's behavior rather than discouraging it. I'm going to listen to that podcast, as I like Popehat. I remember similar cranks making accusations about Obama, which nobody took seriously (other than the usual idiots). Although they were obviously false and defamatory, he never sued as it would only bring more attention to the doofus.
Old 8th May 2019, 03:26 AM   #62
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.mediaite.com/weird/anti-...mpression=true
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 03:32 AM   #63
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I think that some people on the Right so fully believe that justice/destiny/God is on their side and that most people are so stupid that they don't really have to make an effort to do a decent con-job.
Old 8th May 2019, 04:18 AM   #64
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

He can't turn it off and he's not smart enough to cover his own tracks.

Sooner or later he's going to grift too far. He may be "tiptoeing up to the line" of big boy crimes at the moment but he seems to be behaving compulsively rather than rationally.
Old 8th May 2019, 04:22 AM   #65
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I think that some people on the Right so fully believe that justice/destiny/God is on their side and that most people are so stupid that they don't really have to make an effort to do a decent con-job.
Sit down and talk with the average conservative on the street. They don't take a lot to fool. People still bring up that Veritas Acorn stuff, for instance. Wohl sees that level of gullibility, and he thinks he can get the same traction.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 06:24 AM   #66
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Sit down and talk with the average conservative on the street. They don't take a lot to fool. People still bring up that Veritas Acorn stuff, for instance. Wohl sees that level of gullibility, and he thinks he can get the same traction.

But that's the thing - I don't think he's trying to fool conservatives. You don't need to fake up a sexual assault claim to get them to hate Pete Buttigieg; he's gay, they already hate him. You don't have to do it to get them to hate Mueller; he's attacking Trump, they already hate him.

I think he's trying to get "liberals" to hate them, which is why he's accusing them of sexual assault. He really believes that those are the magic words which will get any liberal to turn on anyone, because he really believes that's how it worked against Rapey McJudge and all the other cases, like Moore.

He really does expect liberals to be as stupid as conservatives, and just believe anything that has the magic words in it.
Old 8th May 2019, 08:43 AM   #67
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexThoma...29758796951552

Their press conference was interrupted by Burkman's trash being taken away.
Old 8th May 2019, 08:50 AM   #68
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexThoma...29758796951552

Their press conference was interrupted by Burkman's trash being taken away.
The cameraman thinks the garbage men doing their jobs is more interesting.
Old 8th May 2019, 09:16 AM   #69
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
The cameraman thinks the garbage men doing their jobs is more interesting.
A display of competence is a stark contrast.
Old 8th May 2019, 09:28 AM   #70
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

A display of competence is a stark contrast.

Particular when contrasted to the guy who was speaking, who just stops in mid-sentence to switch places with the other guy. What was that all about?
Old 8th May 2019, 02:23 PM   #71
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

The self delusion is strong with these two:

Quote:
On Wednesday, Burkman demanded that Democratic presidential candidates visit his Arlington home to submit to a background check and rigorous vetting interview. In exchange for the vetting, Burkman offered to give candidates the “Wohl-Burkman Seal of Approval.” If candidates didn’t submit to the vetting, Burkman claimed, voter confidence in elections would be “completely destroyed.”

“We want you to think of this home as the center of 2020,” Burkman said.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jacob-...ino?ref=scroll

Even if they weren't a couple of incompetent douche-bags, do they really think any Democratic candidate would submit to "vetting" by an "intelligence agency" that's so clearly loyal to the GOP?
Old 8th May 2019, 02:32 PM   #72
carlitos
"más divertido"

I’m trying to imagine the democratic candidates proudly displaying the “Wohl-Burkman Seal of Approval” in their campaign materials. Maybe I’ll work something up in photoshop.
Old 8th May 2019, 02:49 PM   #73
KDLarsen
Philosopher

The self delusion is strong with these two:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jacob-...ino?ref=scroll

Even if they weren't a couple of incompetent douche-bags, do they really think any Democratic candidate would submit to "vetting" by an "intelligence agency" that's so clearly loyal to the GOP?
That level of delusion of grandeur is normally only found in those SovCit pretend judges, who will bang out order after order granting defendants millions and billions worth of damages from local county-level officials.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 06:09 PM   #74
crescent
Philosopher

If Burkman could gain about 40 pounds and grow a mustache, they could form an act that fits their level of competence.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 06:57 PM   #75
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Quote:
If candidates didn’t submit to the vetting, Burkman claimed, voter confidence in elections would be “completely destroyed.”
LOL
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 10:27 PM   #76
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The optics are hilarious. They drag a podium out onto the front steps as though it gives them some gravitas?

Do they think that the throng of reporters (clearly not visible) are going to squeeze onto the stairway over the stoop.

Were I running, I'd be the first to demand that they give me the Burkman/Wohl official Disapproval so I could run it prominently in my fund-raising messages. "First 2020 Candidate to Not Get Approval from the suburban Washington Clown Corps!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 11:27 PM   #77
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
If Burkman could gain about 40 pounds and grow a mustache, they could form an act that fits their level of competence.
But you insult Laurel and Hardy.
Old 9th May 2019, 05:23 AM   #78
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I’m trying to imagine the democratic candidates proudly displaying the “Wohl-Burkman Seal of Approval” in their campaign materials. Maybe I’ll work something up in photoshop.

It will, of course, have to prominently feature a seal balancing a ball on its nose, to symbolize democracy in the balance.
Old 9th May 2019, 08:09 AM   #79
carrps
Critical Thinker

But that's the thing - I don't think he's trying to fool conservatives. You don't need to fake up a sexual assault claim to get them to hate Pete Buttigieg; he's gay, they already hate him. You don't have to do it to get them to hate Mueller; he's attacking Trump, they already hate him.

I think he's trying to get "liberals" to hate them, which is why he's accusing them of sexual assault. He really believes that those are the magic words which will get any liberal to turn on anyone, because he really believes that's how it worked against Rapey McJudge and all the other cases, like Moore.

He really does expect liberals to be as stupid as conservatives, and just believe anything that has the magic words in it.
Drunky McRapeface. Get it right!
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 09:48 AM   #80
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The optics are hilarious. They drag a podium out onto the front steps as though it gives them some gravitas?

Do they think that the throng of reporters (clearly not visible) are going to squeeze onto the stairway over the stoop.

Were I running, I'd be the first to demand that they give me the Burkman/Wohl official Disapproval so I could run it prominently in my fund-raising messages. "First 2020 Candidate to Not Get Approval from the suburban Washington Clown Corps!"
The phone call would be fun too.

"Hi, this is plague311 and I'm running for POTUS. I was calling about your approval."

"We'll need you to stop by, get a background check, and we'll ask you questions."

"No, I was calling to tell you to consume a satchel of Richards. I would like it known that you did not approve me, if you have some form of certificate for that."

Then I assume I'd become the target out another false smear command.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics