IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Old 4th May 2020, 07:48 AM   #761
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
To me, that would be an extremely dumb thing to do.

In some ways, it makes sense... she's a capable politician, and her left-wing credentials may help bring some of the more progressive Democrats on board. She would make a good VP (or even a good president).

But, there are problems. In addition to the chance the Democrats could lose a senate seat (A bad-enough prospect with Moscow Mitch still lurking and the chances of the Democrats taking the Senate to be slim), there is also her age.

The Democrats really need to string together multiple terms in the white house. There is a good chance that, being in his 70s, Biden may only be a 1 term president. Usually the vice president has the inside track at being the next presidential nominee (Bush after Reagan, Gore after Clinton), and if they pick the right candidate the Democrats may even be able to string together more than 2 terms. (Biden for one, his successor for 2 terms.) But at Warren's age, she herself may not be able to assume the nomination following a Biden presidency. The result may be another messy set of primaries that divide the party again.
Not seeing an issue - at her oldest, she'd be 78 during her second primary, close to what Dolt 45, Biden, *and* Sanders are now. And the idea of Massachusetts as a stronghold for wild-eyed MAGAts is ridiculous. The only reason Scott Brown managed to get anywhere was due to an astoundingly poor opponent - and Warren quickly ran directly over him.

Quote:
Then there is the issue of demographics.... Biden is already doing well with the senior citizen's demographic. They need to appeal a little more to younger voters.

I think the Democrats would be much better going for a younger woman (a little further to the left than Biden), who is either a gov., a member of the house, or a senator from a Democratic-friendly state (so that they won't lose a potential senate seat.)
This was Sanders' strategy twice - and both times, they failed to vote, while the person who won the primary was the person who instead appealed to black voters. It was also *part* of Obama's coalition in 2008 - and then they stayed at home and whined that Obama didn't create a utopia in under 2 years, leading to Speaker John Boehner. Until young people actually vote, this plan is doomed to failure.

Last edited by Mumbles; 4th May 2020 at 07:49 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 08:33 AM   #762
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Warren as a potential VP...
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Quote:
To me, that would be an extremely dumb thing to do.

In some ways, it makes sense... she's a capable politician, and her left-wing credentials may help bring some of the more progressive Democrats on board. She would make a good VP (or even a good president).

But, there are problems. In addition to the chance the Democrats could lose a senate seat (A bad-enough prospect with Moscow Mitch still lurking and the chances of the Democrats taking the Senate to be slim), there is also her age.

The Democrats really need to string together multiple terms in the white house. There is a good chance that, being in his 70s, Biden may only be a 1 term president. Usually the vice president has the inside track at being the next presidential nominee (Bush after Reagan, Gore after Clinton), and if they pick the right candidate the Democrats may even be able to string together more than 2 terms. (Biden for one, his successor for 2 terms.) But at Warren's age, she herself may not be able to assume the nomination following a Biden presidency. The result may be another messy set of primaries that divide the party again.
Not seeing an issue - at her oldest, she'd be 78 during her second primary, close to what Dolt 45, Biden, *and* Sanders are now.
Yes, she is younger than Biden/Sanders is now, and would be about the same age range during later primaries. But, when you get near that age, any potential health issues get magnified. Hillary coughed once, and Republicans made it seem like she was at death's door. Biden messed up a couple of words and BernieBros are accusing him of senility. Plus, being president tends to age a politician.

And while she is healthy now, she's getting pretty close to the average life expectancy of Americans.... its an increased risk that I would rather not see them take.
Quote:
And the idea of Massachusetts as a stronghold for wild-eyed MAGAts is ridiculous. The only reason Scott Brown managed to get anywhere was due to an astoundingly poor opponent - and Warren quickly ran directly over him.
Yes, Massachusetts is a fairly moderate/left leaning state. But the current gov. is Charlie Barker (a republican), and he would have the ability to appoint a temporary replacement until a special election is called. And I suspect he would appoint a republican.

A Warren or Sanders presidency could cost Democrats a Senate seat (NBC News)

And even the special election is a risk. You suggested that the Republicans were only able to get Scott Brown elected because the Democrats picked a poor candidate...there is no guarantee that the same thing won't happen in any special election. (It is a low risk, but the risk is still there.)

Quote:
Quote:
Then there is the issue of demographics.... Biden is already doing well with the senior citizen's demographic. They need to appeal a little more to younger voters.

I think the Democrats would be much better going for a younger woman (a little further to the left than Biden), who is either a gov., a member of the house, or a senator from a Democratic-friendly state (so that they won't lose a potential senate seat.)
This was Sanders' strategy twice - and both times, they failed to vote
But that's the thing... Sanders appealed to younger voters, but that's ALL he appealed to (more or less).

In the 2020 election, they would have Biden at the top of the ticket (for older and African American voters), and a younger VP (for the younger voters, whatever small number will be influenced by a VP pick).

In 2024 (or 2028 if Biden does stick around for 2 terms), his VP (and probable nominee) will hopefully have Biden's coat tails to help them in the general election to help with older voters. (Plus, whomever Biden picks as VP will be 4 or 8 years older anyways.)

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 09:11 AM   #763
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

There's no problem with considering how to try to draw more young voters. He already has all the old ones he can get. Adding more voters to that would make him more likely to win; failing to add more would make him less likely to win. With the old vote already wrapped up, the only ones left to try to add are younger. The fact that getting one group and not the other would nearly certainly fail in almost any case has no relevance to a real world that isn't all-or-nothing on this kind of thing and never has been.

The problem is not the idea of trying... the problem is that Biden has no apparent way to really do it. He's already openly announced his contempt for young adults and spent his career working against their interests since even before some of them were born, personally causing some of the major problems in their lives that he's now telling them they don't really have. What can he do now to reverse all that in a few months? Nominating somebody who happens to be young will do nothing because candidate age is just not something young voters care about. Nominating somebody who would push for policies the young want won't happen because he sees that kind of Democrat as more of an enemy than the Republicans, and might not help even if he did because young voters know who Biden is and would know he didn't really mean it and was just pandering. If anything it might taint that VP candidate as apparently having turned against them instead.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 05:32 PM   #764
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
There's no problem with considering how to try to draw more young voters. He already has all the old ones he can get. Adding more voters to that would not make him more likely to win; failing to add more would make him less likely to win.
Did you leave that word out? If you meant what you wrote, I disagree.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 09:21 PM   #765
SezMe
post-pre-born

Amash declines to run for the presidency:

Quote:
“After much reflection, I’ve concluded that circumstances don’t lend themselves to my success as a candidate for president this year, and therefore I will not be a candidate,” Amash wrote in a Saturday afternoon tweet.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 09:30 PM   #766
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Wise move.
All Amash can do it piss everyone off by running, and he won't make even 5% doing so. Which would be the only reason why Libertarians would be willing to support another Tourist Republican as their nominal leader.
Old 17th May 2020, 09:55 AM   #767
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I don't know what's more embarrassing: That he felt the need to explain that, or that he felt the need to explain it on Twitter.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics