IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Old 6th March 2020, 08:42 AM   #121
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
After the way they treated him last time, I'm not sure he'd want to go back. Also, it's likely he's still seen as tainted goods by a lot of people.
I don't know. He fell on his own sword pretty quickly (too quickly) at the "scandal" that was shot at him.
I think that helps his credibility with a base that would rather err on the side of its' own ideology- then ask forgiveness later.

If his reputation is restored, and his position improved, he could end up being the poster boy for how such things need to be handled.
Old 6th March 2020, 08:55 AM   #122
Suddenly
No Punting

After the way they treated him last time, I'm not sure he'd want to go back. Also, it's likely he's still seen as tainted goods by a lot of people.
Here's something grim and silly but why not:

Assume that just before the conventions everyone in politics over 65 years old gets sick and is off the table. This makes Mike Pompeo the acting president. Also it looks like the 65+ turnout will be cut by at least 1/3.

Who ends up nominated for each party and then who wins?

Klobuchar?

I'm guessing the GOP just goes with Pompeo and a "don't switch horses" strategy

Last edited by Suddenly; 6th March 2020 at 08:57 AM.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:35 AM   #123
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
In my opinion Biden is a terrible candidate but I would still vote for him.

However, after this election that will no longer be the case. I'm not going to
keep supporting awful candidates in perpetuity because the other side is worse.
I want good candidates with integrity that will move the country forward.

Well, how about taking a look at the Libertarian candidate, Johnson?

You can still enjoy the idealogical innocence before the crossing into minor
party status forces them to deal with the real world problems of balancing
power between individuals, groups, and nations.

P. S. Oh, I just read how the RNC and Trump raised 450 million last year.
The DNC and the Democratic Candidates raised a total of 150 million as well.
Interestingly enough, Trump registered 600,000 new voters over the time
period. But the article in The Hill didn't mention the Democrats registering
any new voters.

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
Don't ask what happened to Schrodinger's dog.
Solitaire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:50 AM   #124
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I'm at a loss as to how one would "viciously" attack Trump. What could a Dem say that is both reasonably accurate and vicious? I say " reasonably accurate" to preclude stupid assertions that are baseless that I doubt the Dems will make.

You don't get it;Any Criticism of Dear Leader is vicous.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:59 AM   #125
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Well, how about taking a look at the Libertarian candidate, Johnson?

You can still enjoy the idealogical innocence before the crossing into minor
party status forces them to deal with the real world problems of balancing
power between individuals, groups, and nations.
I didn't see Johnson on the candidate list.

The last time a took a good look at a Libertarian candidate was 2004, and it was maybe the largest source of unintentional comedy I've ever uncovered.

Since then they've been nominating people off the GOP discard pile, which is sad but not nearly as fun. Hopefully they will go back to planet Zotron and find the next Badnarik. Maybe that guy with the funny hat. Badnarik made 2004 very entertaining.

(eta: thanks for giving me the idea of browsing the LP presidential candidate website list. Good grief.)

Last edited by Suddenly; 6th March 2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Because theft is taxation.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 12:33 PM   #126
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post

The last time a took a good look at a Libertarian candidate was 2004, and it was maybe the largest source of unintentional comedy I've ever uncovered.

Since then they've been nominating people off the GOP discard pile, which is sad but not nearly as fun. Hopefully they will go back to planet Zotron and find the next Badnarik. Maybe that guy with the funny hat. Badnarik made 2004 very entertaining.

(eta: thanks for giving me the idea of browsing the LP presidential candidate website list. Good grief.)
You know, I thought for sure this guy was a libertarian,

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

but sadly, I see that he believes himself to be a Republican. He's still fun though.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 03:10 PM   #127
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Are people worrying about Biden’s mental decline and how Trump is going to exploit it?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 03:20 PM   #128
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Are people worrying about Biden’s mental decline and how Trump is going to exploit it?
Oh, I'm not worrying.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 04:29 PM   #129
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Remember, it's not about whether he has cognitive issues. It's whether his cognitive issues are not as bad as Trump's.

We don't have objective, internally consistent standards in this party.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 05:56 PM   #130
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I don't know crap about politics and dislike it all intensely. But I guess I want the impossible one to be President. Tulsi Gabbard.

I was happy to have a black President and now I think we should have a female President. It won't happen right now, but what can I say?
You could say, "In light of my political naivete, I will refrain from expressing opinions that display my utter stoopidity regarding presidential candidates until I do the requisite homework."
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 06:04 PM   #131
SezMe
post-pre-born

Agree on both counts. I also suspect that there were other events in his background that he wanted to keep bottled up which is why he not only left without a fight but also stays on the sidelines. Still, he could ream Trump a new one.....
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 07:11 PM   #132
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You could say, "In light of my political naivete, I will refrain from expressing opinions that display my utter stoopidity regarding presidential candidates until I do the requisite homework."
Or maybe someone is trolling us a little....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 07:48 PM   #133
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Maybe that guy with the funny hat.
Vermin Supreme! I would vote for him in a heartbeat if he had even the most remote chance.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 09:29 PM   #134
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Remember, it's not about whether he has cognitive issues. It's whether his cognitive issues are not as bad as Trump's.

We don't have objective, internally consistent standards in this party.
I propose the Marshmallow Test!

Biden would lose the marshmallow within a minute of the tester leaving the room.

Trump would eat it, deny eating it, accuse the tester of eating it, claim it was an inferior and stale marshmallow, attempt to extort more marshmallows, and announce he has a million better marshmallows already but can't show them to anyone for legal reasons. Simultaneously, despite the contradictory nature of several of those things.
Old 6th March 2020, 11:35 PM   #135
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Do yourself a favor and watch a couple of Darryl Perry videos.
Old 7th March 2020, 12:35 AM   #136
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
You know, I thought for sure this guy was a libertarian,

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

but sadly, I see that he believes himself to be a Republican. He's still fun though.
Mmm. You do realize that certain Libertarians have dumped a rather amazing amount of money for a number of decades now into changing the Republican Party to do and say what they want, right? To varying amounts of success over the years, of course, but more notable in recent years.

To poke at some other things, though..

Watch Warren talk about Bernie's Bullies

Yeah, the Warren campaign and supporters were being attacked in really, really nasty ways, to be short about it.

In bizarre tweet, Colorado Republican threatens Biden and Beto with an assault rifle in his hand

And it's treated like a joke, apparently. The joys of incredible double standards in action.

Bernie cancels Kansas City Get-Out-The-Vote Event.

Yeah... this isn't looking good for Bernie. It almost looks like he's just giving up on the African American vote.

Last edited by Aridas; 7th March 2020 at 12:36 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 01:41 AM   #137
The_Animus
Illuminator

I don't get the whole attacking Sanders for online bullying thing. He has repeatedly condemned them and its not like he can control what a small portion of his jerk supporters do.

How do people not understand the difference? When someone like Warren attacks Sanders on this it just makes me lose respect for her.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 02:33 AM   #138
Aridas

I don't get the whole attacking Sanders for online bullying thing. He has repeatedly condemned them and its not like he can control what a small portion of his jerk supporters do.

How do people not understand the difference? When someone like Warren attacks Sanders on this it just makes me lose respect for her.

Yes, blame Warren for being unhappy about a massive amount of nastiness and harassment being directed at her and her supporters. Rip on her for attacking Bernie when she still was not actually attacking Bernie, unless you count criticizing his campaign (and thus by extension his leadership of it) for not taking more active steps to keep the nastiness under control (and separate from it, really, especially when Bernie's surrogates and campaign members have stirred up more than a little of the nastiness - and no, Warren didn't call that out directly) as an attack. That's the ticket. Bernie's public condemnation of the nastiness is good, for the record. That's not the only thing that deserves attention, however.

Last edited by Aridas; 7th March 2020 at 02:39 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 02:44 AM   #139
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

Yes, blame Warren for being unhappy about a massive amount of nastiness and harassment being directed at her and her supporters. Rip on her for attacking Bernie when she still was not actually attacking Bernie, unless you count criticizing his campaign (and thus by extension his leadership of it) for not taking more active steps to keep the nastiness under control (and separate from it, really, especially when Bernie's surrogates and campaign members have stirred up more than a little of the nastiness - and no, Warren didn't call that out directly) as an attack. That's the ticket. Bernie's public condemnation of the nastiness is good, for the record. That's not the only thing that deserves attention, however.
The article from which I originally heard about this misrepresented Warren's position. Gotta love modern "journalism". So my mistake. She did not attack Sanders for his supporters behavior.

Last edited by The_Animus; 7th March 2020 at 02:56 AM.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 02:49 AM   #140
Aridas

Edited in response to your editing -

The article from which I originally heard about this misrepresented Warren's position. Gotta love modern "journalism". So my mistake. She did not attack Sanders for his supporters behavior.
Indeed. Some of what she said can be reasonably construed as criticism of his campaign for not pointedly doing their best to get creative on testing out ways to counter such, but... as a general matter, she's ever been rather friendly towards Sanders and her criticisms have been overwhelmingly kinder than what a few too many of Bernie's campaign members have more than earned. Also, remember, the MSM is largely not particularly kind to the actual left and frequently acts to try to divide and undermine such.

Last edited by Aridas; 7th March 2020 at 03:05 AM.
Old 7th March 2020, 03:01 AM   #141
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Thanks for declaring that you're demanding that Warren be a sycophant to Bernie to gain your approval, then, if you're actually paying attention to what Warren actually said. Chances are that you're not paying attention to what she's actually said, though, and condemning her anyways based on your imaginings.
Yeah that response was before I watched the actual video. Please see the edited one after watching it. Again my mistake for basing my original opinion on what was obviously ****** journalism. My mistake
Old 7th March 2020, 03:08 AM   #142
Aridas

Yeah that response was before I watched the actual video. Please see the edited one after watching it. Again my mistake for basing my original opinion on what was obviously ****** journalism. My mistake
And... Heh. I edited the reply, then, in response to your editing. I admit to being a little slow to formulate my thoughts to my satisfaction, though, so it looks like I finished up after you.
Old 7th March 2020, 03:18 AM   #143
Aridas

To poke elsewhere, though...

In one of the generally unpleasant events that happened at a recent Bernie event... a guy waved a Nazi flag and was yelling anti-semitic slurs.
Old 7th March 2020, 05:43 AM   #144
Planigale
Philosopher

Not sure if this is best posted here or on the virus thread.

Given how high mortality for covid 19 is in the over 70s what happens if the Democratic / Republican candidates die off after selection and before the election (e.g. in October)? Can they shoe horn in a candidate at the last moment or if the Green candidate is the last one left standing do they get to be Potus?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 05:49 AM   #145
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post

Given how high mortality for covid 19 is in the over 70s what happens if the Democratic / Republican candidates die off after selection and before the election (e.g. in October)? Can they shoe horn in a candidate at the last moment or if the Green candidate is the last one left standing do they get to be Potus?
It would bring new meaning to October Surprise, but I think there would be nothing to stop a dead president getting elected. Presumably the VP would then be sworn in instead.
Old 7th March 2020, 06:15 AM   #146
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post

It is up to the electors. Remember that people are not voting for president but for a slate of electors.

Hey! I think we actually found a use case for the electoral college.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 07:13 AM   #147
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It is up to the electors. Remember that people are not voting for president but for a slate of electors.

Hey! I think we actually found a use case for the electoral college.
That's actually a good point.
Old 7th March 2020, 09:11 AM   #148
Childlike Empress
Banned

Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 09:20 AM   #149
Childlike Empress
Banned

Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 10:05 AM   #150
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

No, I've had enough of the clown car debates.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 10:21 AM   #151
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I think we actually found a use case for the electoral college.
Holy ****** I agree with Bob.
Old 7th March 2020, 10:21 AM   #152
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Agree on both counts. I also suspect that there were other events in his background that he wanted to keep bottled up which is why he not only left without a fight but also stays on the sidelines. Still, he could ream Trump a new one.....
Trump tweets

Jokey Al tried to ream me a new one but his jokes aren't funny! That's why I don't call him Funny Al! He's just a joke! #jokeyal #funniestpresident #covfefe
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 10:25 AM   #153
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Trump tweets

Jokey Al tried to ream me a new one but his jokes aren't funny! That's why I don't call him Funny Al! He's just a joke! #jokeyal #funniestpresident #covfefe
Trump's is such a polished wit. Practically Blackadder.
Old 7th March 2020, 10:36 AM   #154
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Interesting that they had to go back 40 years to find an opinion of Sanders' that they took issue with.
Sanders has been saying the same things longer than 30 years. There not a lot of evidence he is any different now.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 10:41 AM   #155
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Trump's is such a polished wit. Practically Blackadder.
Most people are bad at comedy. Trump's clumsy attempts at humor are probably a lot more relatable than Franken's professional wit.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 11:13 AM   #156
Aridas

Most people are bad at comedy. Trump's clumsy attempts at humor are probably a lot more relatable than Franken's professional wit.
That's one way to try to spin it.
Old 7th March 2020, 11:14 AM   #157
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

I can only wonder what the headlines and stories would be if the Republicans changed the rules of their debates to exclude the only remaining female (who is also a PoC).
Old 7th March 2020, 11:38 AM   #158
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Trump would eat it, deny eating it, accuse the tester of eating it, claim it was an inferior and stale marshmallow, attempt to extort more marshmallows, and announce he has a million better marshmallows already but can't show them to anyone for legal reasons. Simultaneously, despite the contradictory nature of several of those things.
You know, if Trump could read, I'd swear he read, and developed his entire shtick from, 1984.
Old 7th March 2020, 11:38 AM   #159
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
No, I've had enough of the clown car debates.

Pro-Tip: Take a hammer and destroy your hypnobox.
Old 7th March 2020, 11:39 AM   #160
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Relatable by who? Dimwits, bigots, Neanderthals, and Eric Cartman?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics