IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Old 8th March 2020, 06:26 PM   #201
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Are there still Bloomberg commercials running? I'm still getting stuff in the mail, I thought they'd trickle off over time.
Around here, they finally ran out.

Now it's Bernie over and over and he only has 2 versions.

I have not seen a Biden TV ad recently.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 07:33 PM   #202
Venom
Philosopher

I have a feeling many voters, esp young voters have no idea how primaries work or won't bother with them and are just prepared to vote in the general election "no matter who".
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 07:43 PM   #203
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
are just prepared to vote in the general election "no matter who".
Well, that also describes me now that Warren's out! Primary here is on Tuesday. Last week I was looking forward to it. Now I'm not sure I need bother.
Old 8th March 2020, 10:22 PM   #204
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

If only Warren could be VP candidate with Sanders. Would flip his age from a negative to a positive.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 10:35 PM   #205
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Well, that also describes me now that Warren's out! Primary here is on Tuesday. Last week I was looking forward to it. Now I'm not sure I need bother.
Depends. Who else is on your ballot?
Old 9th March 2020, 05:24 AM   #206
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
If only Warren could be VP candidate with Sanders. Would flip his age from a negative to a positive.
I think Warren would be a plus on either ticket.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 06:28 AM   #207
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I think Warren would be a plus on either ticket.
I agree. She would, IMO, be a greater asset to Biden than to Sanders, but she would help either Candidate.
Old 9th March 2020, 06:36 AM   #208
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We see it here on this board all the time. How many times have various certain someones argued either in the subtext or the outright text that Trump breaking the government is either a good thing or a just punishment on us becoming too dependant on government to do things?
If I may interject, I just find that philosophy to be utterly ridiculous. Government is fundamental to the human experience. There hasn't been a group of humans without a leader. Governments essentially form spontaneously in human societies. The idea that government is bad is as stupid as the idea that money is bad.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 06:43 AM   #209
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
A good Tulsi meme with a true core.
Whenever I see a post of yours talking about her, I think about Hillary Clinton's claim about her and think "huh, might be true after all."

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 07:04 AM   #210
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
If I may interject, I just find that philosophy to be utterly ridiculous. Government is fundamental to the human experience. There hasn't been a group of humans without a leader. Governments essentially form spontaneously in human societies. The idea that government is bad is as stupid as the idea that money is bad.
Oh as do I. But beyond that I also find it massively disingenuous, as in I don't for a goddamn second even entertain that they possibly believe it either. To the point that it is insulting, one of those "Wow you don't even have the common decency to tell me a lie I might actually believe" kind of things.
Old 9th March 2020, 07:39 AM   #211
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The better argument is that the US government as constructed really doesn't work that well.

The system as exists on the Federal and State level is so concerned with avoiding the tyranny of the majority that it enables the tyranny of the minority. No matter how bad the injustice and harmfulness of the status quo we are more comfortable with protecting the interests of minority of people that object to change, and somehow we use this fear of mob rule to paint this betrayal as a matter of principle.

American history is just example after example of workarounds created because the legislative and amendment process is mostly useless as an engine of reform. We wind up now with executives assuming broader and broader powers and a judiciary that does same and who is realistically the only check on that executive.

This was bad enough when the executive was at least competent and the judiciary at least trying to be apolitical. Those conditions are gone now, and the bill for our gridlock fetish is coming due. We've been there before. The first ended in a war and the second when the depression gave FDR enough clout to bring the court to heel. We had a nice half-century of a non-malignant judiciary and at least a vague consensus in Congress, but that was the exception and not the norm. We are back to business as usual.

Electing a president might mitigate this crisis, but even with the senate the judiciary is unlikely to be fixed within a generation, especially if a lame duck president and senate spend the last final months filling every vacancy and creating new spots on the bench to fill.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 06:57 PM   #212
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I can't see why. Explain
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 07:01 PM   #213
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I can't see why. Explain
I think the suggestion is that Sanders might die of old age, leaving Warren as president.
Old 9th March 2020, 08:19 PM   #214
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I think the suggestion is that Sanders might die of old age, leaving Warren as president.
He'd be crushed to death by the weight of her plans.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 08:46 PM   #215
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Yeah. Make it happen, Liz.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 09:30 PM   #216
Venom
Philosopher

One of Sanders' few lifelines left is an endorsement from Warren.

I don't know how much weight that has though.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 11:00 PM   #217
Aridas

Mmm. It would have weight with me, for what it's worth. Bernie and Biden are roughly at a tie for me, given their (mostly) very different and pronounced pros and especially their cons, so I'm not currently intending to vote for either. I would arbitrarily vote for one of them if Tulsi had any chance, but she doesn't. Thus, a Warren endorsement would tip the scales for me.
Old 10th March 2020, 05:38 PM   #218
The_Animus
Illuminator

https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/s...74687279661056

Is there context I'm missing? Because it looks like when asked about an argument he got into with a Michigan auto worker over guns that he responded with "I'm surprised that Sanders is joining Trump".

Uhhh what?
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 06:01 PM   #219
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/s...74687279661056

Is there context I'm missing? Because it looks like when asked about an argument he got into with a Michigan auto worker over guns that he responded with "I'm surprised that Sanders is joining Trump".

Uhhh what?
Listen carefully to the audio.
The question is prefaced by a statement that both Trump and Sanders are calling him (Biden) out for his confrontation.
IOW "Sanders is joining Trump" in calling out Jou for swearing at an American.

More simply put; yes, you are missing context. But I had to listen five times to hear it myself, so not really an obvious spot.
Old 10th March 2020, 06:09 PM   #220
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Listen carefully to the audio.
The question is prefaced by a statement that both Trump and Sanders are calling him (Biden) out for his confrontation.
IOW "Sanders is joining Trump" in calling out Jou for swearing at an American.

More simply put; yes, you are missing context. But I had to listen five times to hear it myself, so not really an obvious spot.
After reading your explanation I listened a couple more times and was able to catch it too. Thanks!
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 06:21 PM   #221
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Thank god it was just a ****** response and not a confused one.

The last poorly understood jumble video he was going on about turning away from negative campaigning or we'll get Trump.

So I guess Biden is joining Trump.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 07:15 PM   #222
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I hope Warren graciously extends to him an electric cattle prod.
Old 10th March 2020, 07:22 PM   #223
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I hope Warren graciously extends to him an electric cattle prod.
From what I read, Warren would like to do that.
No secret that between Warren and Sanders it's personal;they really don't like each other.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 07:52 PM   #224
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I seriously doubt it will happen. Warren is closer to Sanders politically. But I think she despises Bernie.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:00 PM   #225
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I seriously doubt it will happen. Warren is closer to Sanders politically. But I think she despises Bernie.
From what I've heard, Bernie is not well liked in general by his fellow Congress members.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 08:26 PM   #226
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
From what I've heard, Bernie is not well liked in general by his fellow Congress members.
He's not. Bernie has never worked well with others. Politics is as much about compromise as it is about anything else and Bernie doesn't do compromise very well. He's also not a real Democrat which pisses off every other Democratic politician off. Sure, liberal voters like him but a lot of them are as uncompromising as Bernie.

Warren is a liberal. But she's also a Democrat. She was also a member of the Obama administration. I don't want to say this is over, but I think it is.

So much for the idea of a brokered convention.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:57 PM   #227
Aridas

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
From what I read, Warren would like to do that.
No secret that between Warren and Sanders it's personal;they really don't like each other.
Err... Not sure where you've been looking or who you've been listening to. It really doesn't sound like either of them, though.

He's not. Bernie has never worked well with others.
And that's one of his more problematic points, honestly. A problem that's compounded by the need to do a heck of a lot of working together to fix the mess that Trump's made. To poke at his comments about Clyburn, for example, him just... refusing to even reach out to those who don't actually share his politics is rather self defeating.

Politics is as much about compromise as it is about anything else and Bernie doesn't do compromise very well. He's also not a real Democrat which pisses off every other Democratic politician off. Sure, liberal voters like him but a lot of them are as uncompromising as Bernie.

Warren is a liberal. But she's also a Democrat. She was also a member of the Obama administration. I don't want to say this is over, but I think it is.

So much for the idea of a brokered convention.
Honestly, not having a brokered convention is a good thing. I much prefer it that way. It would, admittedly, be nice if Warren had came out of a brokered convention as the nominee, but that victory would be a... tainted one.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:02 PM   #228
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

Honestly, not having a brokered convention is a good thing. I much prefer it that way. It would, admittedly, be nice if Warren had came out of a brokered convention as the nominee, but that victory would be a... tainted one.
I never thought there would be one. I've heard people talking about the possibility of one for the last 50 years and they never materialize.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:23 PM   #229
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sanders is meeting with his team instead of holding a not-quite-a-victory post election rally. The news media here is suggesting maybe a concession is planned if Sanders does not "see a path to victory".
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 09:27 PM   #230
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Schumer and Wyden are on a roll at a press conference tonight, really letting incompetrump have it for mismanaging the crisis. Emphasizing they want to see the little guy bailed out here, and won't stand for Trump trying to bail out his rich friends.
Old 11th March 2020, 08:10 AM   #231
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Sanders is meeting with his team instead of holding a not-quite-a-victory post election rally. The news media here is suggesting maybe a concession is planned if Sanders does not "see a path to victory".
There is a path until the debate, but at this point Biden has to be just boggle the mind bad in that debate for it to really matter. Like to the point where nobody can say with a straight face that he's capable of holding office.

Unlikely, but he hasn't had to be under the bright lights as the frontrunner yet, so better to find out if he can perform adequately now than in the general.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 09:50 AM   #232
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
There is a path until the debate, but at this point Biden has to be just boggle the mind bad in that debate for it to really matter. Like to the point where nobody can say with a straight face that he's capable of holding office.

Unlikely, but he hasn't had to be under the bright lights as the frontrunner yet, so better to find out if he can perform adequately now than in the general.
In my opinion that would be a mistake.

Even if Sanders wins the debate easily, its doubtful he would win the nomination. (Biden's lead is too great.) The only think Sander's continued participation would do is to increase the divisions within the Democratic party, and give yet more ammunition to the Republicans.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 09:53 AM   #233
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
In my opinion that would be a mistake.

Even if Sanders wins the debate easily, its doubtful he would win the nomination. (Biden's lead is too great.) The only think Sander's continued participation would do is to increase the divisions within the Democratic party, and give yet more ammunition to the Republicans.
Is it?

Biden needs 50.5% of remaining delegates for an outright majority.

Bernie needs 57.1% for the same.

Biden has opened up his lead, but there's still room for a turnaround, especially if he suddenly becomes perceived of being unfit for office.
Old 11th March 2020, 09:54 AM   #234
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Is Tulsi Gabbard still outside chasing butterflies and calling it a campaign?
Old 11th March 2020, 09:55 AM   #235
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Reminds me of

God is Love
Love is Blind
Ray Charles is Blind
Therefore, Ray Charles is God
A classic!
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 11:40 AM   #236
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Is Tulsi Gabbard still outside chasing butterflies and calling it a campaign?
She will quit when Vlad tells her to...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 11:42 AM   #237
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Is it?

Biden needs 50.5% of remaining delegates for an outright majority.

Bernie needs 57.1% for the same.

Biden has opened up his lead, but there's still room for a turnaround, especially if he suddenly becomes perceived of being unfit for office.

Man, that is some strong s--- you are smoking.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th March 2020, 11:57 AM   #238
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post

There's only one person in the debate to attack Biden and I'm going to guess Sanders won't do a lot of that at this point.
Old 11th March 2020, 11:59 AM   #239
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Man, that is some strong s--- you are smoking.
It's definitely Biden's race to lose. There's still room for him to spectacularly screw it all up, with the debate seeming like the prime opportunity.

But yeah, I don't really see Bernie having any opportunity to make this turn around. Biden would have to properly botch things up.
Old 11th March 2020, 12:15 PM   #240
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There's only one person in the debate to attack Biden and I'm going to guess Sanders won't do a lot of that at this point.
I think Sanders is going to come out swinging. He still thinks there is a chance. But if I'm Biden, I'd avoid mixing it up with Bernie but instead use this as an opportunity to build bridges.

Bernie had a reasonable chance against the field, but his chance against the field united is slim to none.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics