IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 10:56 AM   #1
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Biden for President?

Now that Joe Biden is being called the front-runner and "presumptive" Democratic nominee, it's time to ask what kind of candidate he will be against Trump. I want him (or pretty much any other Democrat) to win, and I can't imagine a lot of Democrats choosing Trump over him, but a couple big Biden gaffes could cause some voters to stay home. I don't think this election is a sure thing.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 11:02 AM   #2
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Lots of potential presidents make gaffes, and yet they still become the President.

For example, does anyone else recall Volume 1 of "Bushisms" that was published even before he became the President?
Old 5th March 2020, 11:15 AM   #3
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Now that Joe Biden is being called the front-runner and "presumptive" Democratic nominee, it's time to ask what kind of candidate he will be against Trump. I want him (or pretty much any other Democrat) to win, and I can't imagine a lot of Democrats choosing Trump over him, but a couple big Biden gaffes could cause some voters to stay home. I don't think this election is a sure thing.
There can be very little campaigning for Biden. He is fading, and needs to bee seen- not heard.
He needs a very dynamic V.P. (obviously a woman) to do the campaigning.

The campaign needs to consist almost entirely of Trump. Trump is going to have to beat Trump this time, as he would in any sane world.

And, finally, we need to have someone in place to instantly transition to when Biden drops, or becomes incapable of moving on.
Seriously, he seems like he is about five minutes from having out-loud conversations with his dead grandfather. I hope I am wrong, but I really do not trust his health.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:19 AM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've just filled out my primary ballot for Biden, but reluctantly. He's too old and gaffe-prone. I'd have preferred Warren. Or maybe even Steyer.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:28 AM   #5
mumblethrax
Species traitor

The primary process has once again helped us winnow down a broad field to the candidate that absolutely nobody is excited about.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 11:35 AM   #6
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I find Biden's gaffes of far less concern than the things Trump said during his first campaign. Or what he's said since.

Would Biden have been my first choice? No. But I prefer him to Sanders.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 11:44 AM   #7
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I've just filled out my primary ballot for Biden, but reluctantly. He's too old and gaffe-prone. I'd have preferred Warren. Or maybe even Steyer.
Funny, just about everyone would have preferred Warren to Biden. Yet here we are with %60 of the delegates left to collect and we are calling it a done deal already.

Not happy at all with the selection process this year. (or last time, for that matter)
Old 5th March 2020, 11:44 AM   #8
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I find Biden's gaffes of far less concern than the things Trump said during his first campaign. Or what he's said since.

Would Biden have been my first choice? No. But I prefer him to Sanders.
Republicans are pretty good at falling in line. And any who were put off by Trump's statements during the campaign were offset by the ones super thrilled that he "owned the libs".

Liberals, unfortunately are more prone to a few states of mind that make people stay home from the polls. "But he's not who I wanted!" and "Both sides are really the same corporate BS".

I know Joe says and believes some stupid crap, it won't keep me from voting for him because he would have to rape a puppet on the debate stage to even begin to look worse than Trump.

But I am very worried that we've got young voters, Bernie fans, far left progressives all very ready to stay home and say they can't stomach Biden and happy to use a particular gaffe, revelation, or policy difference as an excuse.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 11:55 AM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am reading a number of Bernie Bros who are saying if Bernie does not get the nomination, they will vote for the Green Party or write in Bernie in November, and they make a great show of doing this on "principal".
IMHO that is an incredibly stupid, moronic "principal"
Unless you want Trump relected, which I suspect a number of the more militant Progs really want;because they think that will "radicalize the masses" and we will finally have our glorous people's revolution...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 12:02 PM   #10
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Republicans are pretty good at falling in line. And any who were put off by Trump's statements during the campaign were offset by the ones super thrilled that he "owned the libs".

Liberals, unfortunately are more prone to a few states of mind that make people stay home from the polls. "But he's not who I wanted!" and "Both sides are really the same corporate BS".

I know Joe says and believes some stupid crap, it won't keep me from voting for him because he would have to rape a puppet on the debate stage to even begin to look worse than Trump.

But I am very worried that we've got young voters, Bernie fans, far left progressives all very ready to stay home and say they can't stomach Biden and happy to use a particular gaffe, revelation, or policy difference as an excuse.
I completely agree. Those who oppose Trump need to vote for whomever the Dem nominee is. I dislike Sanders a lot but I'd rather have him than Trump.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 12:04 PM   #11
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Biden is a gaffe machine, that is for sure - and they seem to be coming much more frequently. I suspect most Democrats will overlook them (as they did with his remarks about Obama being the first mainstream black person who was clean, good looking and articulate). I usually find the gaffes amusing, but the current frequency is concerning.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am reading a number of Bernie Bros who are saying if Bernie does not get the nomination, they will vote for the Green Party or write in Bernie in November, and they make a great show of doing this on "principal".
They probably feel (rightfully) that the 'system' is against their candidate. Big media and the Democrats sure look like they didn't want any part of Sanders.

Oh, and the word you were looking for is "principle" not "principal".
Old 5th March 2020, 12:05 PM   #12
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Unless you want Trump relected, which I suspect a number of the more militant Progs really want;because they think that will "radicalize the masses" and we will finally have our glorous people's revolution...
Not to worry. I'll be voting for whomever wins the nomination come November. Trump is still going to win.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 12:09 PM   #13
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Biden is a gaffe machine, that is for sure - and they seem to be coming much more frequently. I suspect most Democrats will overlook them (as they did with his remarks about Obama being the first mainstream black person who was clean, good looking and articulate). I usually find the gaffes amusing, but the current frequency is concerning.

They probably feel (rightfully) that the 'system' is against their candidate. Big media and the Democrats sure look like they didn't want any part of Sanders.

Oh, and the word you were looking for is "principle" not "principal".
I have heard this.
Don't follow though. Seems like "the Democrats" not wanting Sanders- and expressing that pretty clearly with their votes when it became likely that he could get the nomination- is not equal to the "system" being against him. (unless we decide that the Dems who have voted in primaries thus far are actually "the system")

And Journalists reporting on those facts become, I guess, the "big media" that is against him?

Bunch of nonsense.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:15 PM   #14
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Old 6th March 2020, 09:26 AM   #15
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I'm disappointed about Warren dropping out, but here we are.

I guess I'm going to be voting for Biden in Missouri's primary on Tuesday. The one thing he's got going for him that Sanders does not, I think, is that it's much more likely that Obama would stump for Biden. I think, or maybe just hope, that will help bring people out to vote and get the Orange Menace out of the White House.
Old 6th March 2020, 09:29 AM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Gaffes" is a dumb term, an attempt to equate honest mistakes and slips of the tongue without outright vile maliciousness and intentional factual wrongness.

"LOL sure Trump said all Mexicans were rapists and killers and had to be physically restrained from staring into the sun during an eclipse but silly ole' grandpa Joe said 'Squatternut Bosh' when he meant to say 'Butternut Squash' it's all the same!"

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th March 2020 at 09:34 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 09:31 AM   #17
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
There can be very little campaigning for Biden. He is fading, and needs to bee seen- not heard.
He needs a very dynamic V.P. (obviously a woman) to do the campaigning.

The campaign needs to consist almost entirely of Trump. Trump is going to have to beat Trump this time, as he would in any sane world.

And, finally, we need to have someone in place to instantly transition to when Biden drops, or becomes incapable of moving on.
Seriously, he seems like he is about five minutes from having out-loud conversations with his dead grandfather. I hope I am wrong, but I really do not trust his health.
Hillary’s best chance to become president.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 09:33 AM   #18
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Hillary’s best chance to become president.
Who was her V.P. candidate again?

Do you think Biden has the same negatives in the States that matter that she had?
Old 6th March 2020, 09:43 AM   #19
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Gaffes" is a dumb term, an attempt to equate honest mistakes and slips of the tongue without outright vile maliciousness and intentional factual wrongness.

"LOL sure Trump said all Mexicans were rapists and killers and had to be physically restrained from staring into the sun during an eclipse but silly ole' grandpa Joe said 'Squatternut Bosh' when he meant to say 'Butternut Squash' it's all the same!"
I guess you are like President Trump in that you say things that aren’t true. Trump did not say all Mexicans are rapists and killers.

Just for the record I didn’t like what he did say at all.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 09:47 AM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Republicans are pretty good at falling in line.
If Republican voters were good at falling in line, we wouldn't have -

- the Tea Party movement

- Donald Trump as the Republican nominee in 2016

- Never-Trumpers defecting to the Democratic party

As far as I can tell, everybody likes to say the other party is more authoritarian or submissive or whatever, but in reality both parties have about the same mix of outlooks and attitudes about party loyalty, among their voters.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 09:47 AM   #21
eeyore1954
Philosopher

In my opinion Biden does more than gaffes. Not malicious things but what could charitably called senior moments. Uncharitably called early signs of dementia.
Old 6th March 2020, 09:49 AM   #22
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Now that Joe Biden is being called the front-runner and "presumptive" Democratic nominee, it's time to ask what kind of candidate he will be against Trump.
I think it's at least two weeks too early to make any presumptions about how the primary process will play out, but bascially Biden just needs to stay on message (preferably on teleprompter) pretty much of the time and constantly remind those of us who volunteered/voted for Obama that he's getting the band back together, in terms of both players and setlists.

Last edited by d4m10n; 6th March 2020 at 09:50 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 09:58 AM   #23
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Surely the term "gaffe" implies that something is a mistake, and therefore is doing the opposite of what you claim and not equating them with Trump's lies and inflammatory rhetoric?
Old 6th March 2020, 10:04 AM   #24
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Surely the term "gaffe" implies that something is a mistake, and therefore is doing the opposite of what you claim and not equating them with Trump's lies and inflammatory rhetoric?
On a technical dictionary definition level, yes.

As it is being used political, often not.
Old 6th March 2020, 10:06 AM   #25
ahhell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
In my opinion Biden does more than gaffes. Not malicious things but what could charitably called senior moments. Uncharitably called early signs of dementia.
Fortunately, Trump shows some of those signs too. It may matter in the primary but it won't matter in the general. This election is going to be all about turn out and who can get the rust belt working stiffs and soccer mom's to vote for them.

I think based on not much that Sanders has a shot at the rust belt. I think also not based on much that Bernie turns off the soccer moms nearly as much as Trump. I am much less certain of that.

I think Biden will be the nominee and I hope the Bernie Bros* don't stay home on account of it. Based on turnout in the primaries, they may not have turned out regardless.

*The enthusiastic youth voters who like Bernie.

Regarding "gaffes" I don't think it generally used to conflate deliberate potentially offensive things like Trump does so often. I've generally heard it applied to the sorts of things Biden and Bush do all the time.

The defense of trump's questionable statements is usually not to call them gaffes but to point out(generally correctly) that what he actually said was fairly incoherent. So, he might have meant X or Y and which one you think it was is usually dependent on what you think of Trump.

The spoiler is a bunch of things that Trump is often claimed to have said that aren't quite what he said even though what he actually said was pretty bad, its not as bad as is often claimed. Read or not. Its not really important but I wrote it all done before I decided it didn't really matter. Point is, Trump sucks, he especially sucks at communicating and using all the best words.
He didn't actually say all Mexicans are criminals and rapist or even that all of them coming to the US weren't, but its not unreasonable to think that's what he meant.
He didn't actually say NAZI's were fine people after Charlottesville. In context, he was talking about 3 groups of people, Nazi's/klansmen, other folks who like confederate statues, and folks protesting the first two groups. No, in context, it was still stupid to say what he did but he pretty clearly didn't mean to say racists were fine people.
He didn't actually say he had grabbed women by the pussy either. He claimed he had kissed them without asking and he could get away with it along with grabbing them by the pussy because he was a celebrity. Boorish and stupid but not an admission of grabbing women by the pussy. He also said he couldn't help himself around beautiful women, then the women he was referring to walked into the room and he clearly restrained himself. So, it was pretty much all empty gross bravado.

Last edited by ahhell; 6th March 2020 at 10:19 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 10:08 AM   #26
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The problem there is not in calling Joe's mistakes gaffes, but in calling Trump's racist comments and kissing Putin's ass gaffes. They are not, they are simply a direct reflection of what he is thinking.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 10:17 AM   #27
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Joe Biden should emulate Trump's approach to government to make it easier for Undecided to come to his side.

Step 1: pick his son Hunter as VP.
Old 6th March 2020, 10:18 AM   #28
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

I think it is most often used the same way in political contexts. "Gaffe" has the connotation of an innocent mistake, or at most a revealing slip of the tongue.

Of course, for political purposes simple gaffes are often treated as serious statements by the opposing side. And there can often be legitimate agreement about whether or not a particular statement is a gaffe.

Examples:

Obama's "You can keep your insurance" - Not a gaffe
Obama's "I’ve now been in fifty …. seven states" - gaffe
Old 6th March 2020, 10:20 AM   #29
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Biden made some obvious gaffes recently and some comments that may or may not have been gaffes.

What's most relevant I think is the increase in the rate of gaffes and such. He seems to be on a worrying trajectory, especially for someone who may be just about to go through a Presidential election cycle.
Old 6th March 2020, 10:23 AM   #30
ahhell
Philosopher

Biden made some obvious gaffes recently and some comments that may or may not have been gaffes.

What's most relevant I think is the increase in the rate of gaffes and such. He seems to be on a worrying trajectory, especially for someone who may be just about to go through a Presidential election cycle.
Does it really matter though? Is anyone out there, who is considering voting for trump going to care* if Biden maybe a little demented? Is anyone out there who won't vote for Trump going to care if Biden is a little demented?

*I imagine they will pretend to care.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 10:27 AM   #31
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

"Gaffe" has the connotation of an innocent mistake, or at most a revealing slip of the tongue.
My favorite sort of political gaffe is when the candidate accidentally reveals how they really see the world. Obama thought many of the people lined up to vote against him were fearfully clinging to guns and religion; Clinton believed many of the people lined up to vote against her were downright deplorable in terms of sexism, racism, etc.
Old 6th March 2020, 10:40 AM   #32
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
My favorite sort of political gaffe is when the candidate accidentally reveals how they really see the world. Obama thought many of the people lined up to vote against him were fearfully clinging to guns and religion; Clinton believed many of the people lined up to vote against her were downright deplorable in terms of sexism, racism, etc.
Were they wrong about that?
Old 6th March 2020, 10:44 AM   #33
Distracted1
Philosopher

Poor kids are as smart as white kids...
Old 6th March 2020, 10:56 AM   #34
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Were they wrong about that?
Nope, those claims were essentially true. Impolitic, perhaps, but not wrong.

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Poor kids are as smart as white kids...
Also true.

Despite the fact that non-white kids in the U.S. will (on average) grow up with significantly fewer resources and more everyday insecurity than their European American peers, they have just as much raw potential.

Last edited by d4m10n; 6th March 2020 at 10:58 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:02 AM   #35
Distracted1
Philosopher

Nope, those claims were essentially true. Impolitic, perhaps, but not wrong.

Also true.

Despite the fact that non-white kids in the U.S. will (on average) grow up with significantly fewer resources and more everyday insecurity than their European American peers, they have just as much raw potential.
How well do you think a candidate will do with the lower-income white voter when his gaffe has revealed that he does not believe a white person can be poor?
Old 6th March 2020, 11:02 AM   #36
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Does it really matter though? Is anyone out there, who is considering voting for trump going to care* if Biden maybe a little demented? Is anyone out there who won't vote for Trump going to care if Biden is a little demented?

Close to pretend. There are a group of voters that in the dark recesses of the soul want to vote for Trump but are honestly ashamed of it.

The narrative of Biden being corrupt or demented will be enough for them to create a false equivalence that lets them feel better about voting for Trump.

They will say and could probably pass a lie detector test that this will be what pushed them to Trump, but it was likely going to be something.

(This is what makes the current conventional wisdom about how to beat Trump maddening. The vast majority of these moderate Republicans that "really don't want to vote for Trump" are going to for some reason. Hoping to flip them is eating soup with a fork)
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:03 AM   #37
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Now that Joe Biden is being called the front-runner and "presumptive" Democratic nominee, it's time to ask what kind of candidate he will be against Trump...

Dull as dishwater.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:21 AM   #38
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post

No, to both, honestly.

Long ago we saw the polls showing Trump losing to a generic Democrat. Eager to leverage that information we are running the closest thing we can find to a "generic Democrat".

OK, I think, by just about everyone.
Old 6th March 2020, 11:26 AM   #39
Distracted1
Philosopher

Biden needs to select a V.P. quickly.
I don't think he should even wait until he has the nomination officially secured.
His V.P. is going to have to be where the excitement comes from.

If he does not nominate one specifically, he should at least make the pledge that whomever it is it will be a woman. That, at least, takes a little of the buzz Trump might get with a surprise switch to Nikki Haley (or Tulsi Gabbard) during the run-up.
Old 6th March 2020, 11:29 AM   #40
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Can you provide an example?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics