IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 11:41 AM   #41
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
How well do you think a candidate will do with the lower-income white voter when his gaffe has revealed that he does not believe a white person can be poor?
A far better interpretation would be that he was thinking specifically of disadvantaged communities of color, as opposed to disadvantaged communities in general.

(Which is sometimes okay, and sometimes not, depending on what sort of policy you're crafting.)

Last edited by d4m10n; 6th March 2020 at 12:20 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:44 AM   #42
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
A far better interpretation would be that he was thinking specifically of disadvantaged communities of color, as opposed to disadvantaged communities in general. Which is sometimes okay, and sometimes not, depending on what sort of policy you're crafting.
Certainly, one could attest that. That is why it was a gaffe.
He actually contrasted two things as if they were exclusive groups, however.
His phrasing was such that a kid could either be poor- or white, not both.
Old 6th March 2020, 11:52 AM   #43
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Were they wrong about that?
depends upon the definition of many.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:55 AM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have to laugh at some of the Bernie Bros attacking BIden because of his age.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 11:57 AM   #45
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have to laugh at some of the Bernie Bros attacking BIden because of his age.
In fairness, age can be more than a number. Sanders certainly comes across as a lot more "with it" than Biden does. In spite of them being so close in calendar age.
Old 6th March 2020, 12:00 PM   #46
Wolrab
Illuminator

There's probably a bunch of experts at Yale deciding if Biden has dementia. Announcement any day now.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 12:02 PM   #47
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

So your're another is the best the Trump worshipers can come up with?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 12:02 PM   #48
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
There's probably a bunch of experts at Yale deciding if Biden has dementia. Announcement any day now.
Do we really need a Yale expert to spot the obvious?
Old 6th March 2020, 12:07 PM   #49
Childlike Empress
Banned

For those still in denial about Biden's brain turning into sauerkraut, Caitlin Johnstone has collected 30 recent examples of the kind of "gaffes" he makes. It's real, not some kind of smear. Observing it says nothing about the work he did as Obama's VP.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 12:20 PM   #50
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

In fairness, age can be more than a number. Sanders certainly comes across as a lot more "with it" than Biden does. In spite of them being so close in calendar age.
Sanders was curmudgeonly back when he was 30, but aside from more wrinkles and sags, he's basically the same. Biden is deteriorating before our eyes.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 12:30 PM   #51
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
For those still in denial about Biden's brain turning into sauerkraut, Caitlin Johnstone has collected 30 recent examples of the kind of "gaffes" he makes. It's real, not some kind of smear. Observing it says nothing about the work he did as Obama's VP.
So who does the Kremlin want us to vote for?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 12:33 PM   #52
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Sanders was curmudgeonly back when he was 30, but aside from more wrinkles and sags, he's basically the same. Biden is deteriorating before our eyes.
That has been apparent for a while.
I do not understand why so many of my fellow Democrats wrote Warren off so quickly. We are truly going to be wishing for that brokered convention and third way pretty soon.
Old 6th March 2020, 12:41 PM   #53
Elagabalus
Philosopher

That has been apparent for a while.
I do not understand why so many of my fellow Democrats wrote Warren off so quickly. We are truly going to be wishing for that brokered convention and third way pretty soon.

More like the third rail ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 12:46 PM   #54
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

At least his own eyes aren't shooting out jets of blood lately. It's nervewracking, watching someone and not knowing if there's going to be a popping noise and torrents of foaming blood pouring forth.
Old 6th March 2020, 12:53 PM   #55
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
At least his own eyes aren't shooting out jets of blood lately. It's nervewracking, watching someone and not knowing if there's going to be a popping noise and torrents of foaming blood pouring forth.
Wow, that's harsh.
I am pretty sanguine about the effects of aging on the body and mind. It is natural, largely unavoidably, and often manageable. Certainly not pleasant, but one copes.
Old 6th March 2020, 12:57 PM   #56
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Wow, that's harsh.
I am pretty sanguine about the effects of aging on the body and mind. It is natural, largely unavoidably, and often manageable. Certainly not pleasant, but one copes.
I guess if Biden's elected the Secret Service can wear water wings, and at press briefings the seat cushions could be used as flotation devices. Is Putin a strong swimmer? It could work out well to establish US dominance.
Old 6th March 2020, 01:12 PM   #57
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
At least his own eyes aren't shooting out jets of blood lately.
I am pretty sanguine about the effects of aging on the body and mind.
I see what you did there. Well played.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 01:13 PM   #58
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Wow, that's harsh.
I saw what you did there.

Doh!!! Ninja'd by theprestige!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 01:20 PM   #59
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I see what you did there. Well played.
Well, I feel like an idiot.
I had no idea sanguine was a color.
Old 6th March 2020, 01:22 PM   #60
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Just more of your crap sources.

In this case, Caitlin Johnstone also claims to be some sort of psychic medium. So I guess that means dead people are warning her about Joe Biden.

As for me, I have found that anyone who claims to talk to dead people is a person who seldom says anything that is worth listening to.
Old 6th March 2020, 01:26 PM   #61
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Biden has always been known for his gaffes. They're nothing new.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...stakes-history

That he is "deteriorating before our eyes" is supported by what evidence?

I'd much rather have a president known for harmless gaffes than one who is infamously known for the huge amount of lies he tells. Or a president who could be the poster child for narcissism, childish behavior, bullying, and a complete lack of respect for women.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 01:31 PM   #62
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Just more of your crap sources.

In this case, Caitlin Johnstone also claims to be some sort of psychic medium. So I guess that means dead people are warning her about Joe Biden.

As for me, I have found that anyone who claims to talk to dead people is a person who seldom says anything that is worth listening to.
From your quoted article fro someone named Cody Johnston:

Quote:
At a certain point there needs to be a serious and empathetic conversation about Biden's relatively Trump's frequent, confused, irritable inability to complete coherent thoughts. It's not about a stutter. Watching him speak a mere four years ago makes that clear. Hope this happens soon!
FTFY, Cody.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 6th March 2020 at 01:38 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 01:36 PM   #63
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
These aren't gaffes. A gaffe is when you decide to say something you shouldn't say (like you need to have an Indian accent to work at 7/11). They can reveal bad judgment, impulsiveness, or ignorance.

What Biden is displaying now on a regular basis is confusion. And no, he has not always been known for that. This is new.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 01:50 PM   #64
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

These aren't gaffes. A gaffe is when you decide to say something you shouldn't say (like you need to have an Indian accent to work at 7/11). They can reveal bad judgment, impulsiveness, or ignorance.

What Biden is displaying now on a regular basis is confusion. And no, he has not always been known for that. This is new.
Sure.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 01:51 PM   #65
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Sure.
That's ignorance. Not confusion. There's a difference.
Old 6th March 2020, 01:55 PM   #66
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So far what you've given us are nothing more than opinions and your own definition of what a gaffe is...a definition that does not agree with the dictionary definition:
Quote:
an unintentional act or remark causing embarrassment to its originator; a blunder.
Your example of the "Indian accent" isn't a gaffe; it's an intentional racist remark.

Exactly what evidence do you have that Biden is "displaying now on a regular basis is confusion"?

If you read the article I provided, you will see Biden has, indeed, been known for his "confusion" for a long time and that's it's not "new" as you claim :

Quote:
But unlike some of his much younger opponents, it’s his decades in the public eye, and in particular his well-documented history of confusing or downright embarrassing gaffes and misstatements, that may end up working against him.
Quote:
In 2010, at a St Patrick’s Day reception for Brian Cowen, Biden got confused over which of the then Irish prime minister’s parents had passed away.
Quote:
It didn’t hurt matters that Obama often reacted to them with bemusement. “I don’t remember exactly what Joe was referring to, not surprisingly,” Obama quipped after a typically confusing statement from Biden about the passage of a stimulus package in 2010.
Old 6th March 2020, 02:01 PM   #67
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...stakes-history

That he is "deteriorating before our eyes" is supported by what evidence?

I'd much rather have a president known for harmless gaffes than one who is infamously known for the huge amount of lies he tells. Or a president who could be the poster child for narcissism, childish behavior, bullying, and a complete lack of respect for women.
And I find it gobmacking that some Berniebros seem to be doing Trump's work for him.
The "Biden is going senile" crap I expected from the Trump worshippers here, but for some "Progressives" to jump on that band wagon is just astounding.
I am not saying Biden should be criticized, but the demented angle is really,really, thick.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th March 2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 6th March 2020, 02:01 PM   #68
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Keep whistling past the... you know, you know the thing.
Old 6th March 2020, 02:04 PM   #69
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Keep whistling past the... you know, you know the thing.
You mean the thing you've been unable to support with any evidence?
Old 6th March 2020, 02:08 PM   #70
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That's ignorance. Not confusion. There's a difference.
Ignorance: lack of knowledge

Are you asserting that he did not know the guy was in a wheelchair? It seemed to me like he just momentarily forgot, ie was confused.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 02:10 PM   #71
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

And I find it gobmacking that some Berniebros seem to be doing Trump's work for him.
The "Biden is going senile" crap I expected from the Trump worshippers here, but for some "Progressives" to jump on that band wagon is just astounding.
I am not saying Biden should be criticized, but the demented angle is really,really, thick.
Neither Biden nor Trump are as sharp as they were just ten years ago.

- Warren voter

Old 6th March 2020, 02:16 PM   #72
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Neither Biden nor Trump are as sharp as they were just ten years ago.

- Warren voter
That's true of almost everyone over 60. But there's a big difference between the normal forgetfulness of the aging process and dementia/Alzheimer's.
Old 6th March 2020, 02:16 PM   #73
Venom
Philosopher

The 1990s version of both Biden and Trump would have been able to out-talk anybody in this race.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 02:18 PM   #74
Distracted1
Philosopher

I am a Bernie Bro now??

Far from it. Testament to my belief that Sanders can't bring us the White House is that I prefer Biden to him even though Biden is clearly getting feeble !. Denying it makes us look like idiots. And since we decided the Primaries were over at %40 in, and Warren had no chance, we are stuck with him.

We need him to pick a running mate now who can be his energetic campaigner, because he should only be in the public eye briefly- and after a very long nap.

Last edited by Distracted1; 6th March 2020 at 02:22 PM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 02:36 PM   #75
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Gobsmacking, huh. Over here on the right, we pretty much take it for granted that y'all on the left will turn on each other the moment we've been cleared out of the way. Historical precedent and all that. Did you really not see this coming?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 03:00 PM   #76
Cabbage
Banned

.....said the person who has been pointedly critical of Sanders.

Honestly, I think it's wise to get this aired out now. It's going to be a factor just as sure as you were Bernie's Socialism and his past were going to be a factor. I'm not going to say Biden can't beat Trump, but I'm not nearly as confident as I would be for Sanders, due to this evidence of early stage dementia for Biden.

Hey, I tried warning you and some others that Sanders isn't the only candidate with electability issues. I seem to recall some refused to really listen to me.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 03:03 PM   #77
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

I'm far less concerned with Biden's gaffes or age than with his history of terrible actions and policy positions. Examples including:

* Opposition to Roe v Wade; support of the Hyde amendment.
* Support of the bill banning LGBT individuals from serving in the military. Support of the DOMA - which prohibited marriage between individuals of the same gender.
* Various bills contributing to the failed and misguided War on Drugs
* Anti-BDS legislation
* Throwing Anita Hill under the bus.

While Biden has since done an about face on many of the above (particularly during and since the Obama presidency), the fact of the matter is that I don't trust his judgment. And I don't trust that he has the necessary spine to stand up to the destructive conservative insanity threatening our nation without caving on critical issues.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 03:05 PM   #78
Cabbage
Banned

Gobsmacking, huh. Over here on the right, we pretty much take it for granted that y'all on the left will turn on each other the moment we've been cleared out of the way. Historical precedent and all that. Did you really not see this coming?

Sure....just like every other political party in history.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 03:20 PM   #79
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Sure....just like every other political party in history. : rolleyes :
Of course just like every other party in history. Which is why most of us aren't gobsmacked when it happens.
Old 6th March 2020, 04:30 PM   #80
Cabbage
Banned

Of course just like every other party in history. Which is why most of us aren't gobsmacked when it happens.

Fair enough, but I question your use of the words "Over here on the right", as if those of us on the left lack the insight to be aware of this.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics