IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 4th April 2020, 09:38 PM   #361
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
When did Trump do the Europe ban?
And why were countries like the UK originally exempt?

At this point, there is no much evidence that any of the travel bans had a significant impact.
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
March 14th, and the UK was not exempt.

A snippet from whitehouse.gov:

"CDC has determined that the United Kingdom is experiencing widespread, ongoing person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2. As of March 13, 2020, the World Health Organization reported that the United Kingdom had 594 cases of COVID-19, 5 times more cases than there were 7 days prior."

No evidence that the decision to do so was wrong. Importing sick people is not a smart thing to do if you're trying to put a lid on a pandemic.

Chris B.
So, to follow up on my last post, The Great Zaganza asked "Why was the UK originally exempt?" Your response did not refer to the original ban, which was the subject of TGZ's query, but to the subsequent revision.

He was right. You were wrong. But you were so confident.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 07:03 AM   #362
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Uh, no.
The ban in travel from Schengen countries was put into effect on the Saturday (14th).
The UK and Ireland bans (which were tagged on later on the Saturday) came into effect on the Tuesday (UK time). Three days later. With a virus that doubles every 2-3 days.
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
So, to follow up on my last post, The Great Zaganza asked "Why was the UK originally exempt?" Your response did not refer to the original ban, which was the subject of TGZ's query, but to the subsequent revision.

He was right. You were wrong. But you were so confident.
My reply was to Tolls about the date of the UK and Ireland travel ban. As above I was defending the date of the UK and Ireland travel ban. My confidence remains.

On a separate issue you seem to focus on, I suppose I could have included a better response to The Great Zaganza by listing the original Europe ban date and include the UK and Ireland ban date 3 days later but that was not in question of determining someone is right or wrong. The part in question is above in Tolls' quoted reply.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 07:42 AM   #363
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
When did Trump do the Europe ban?
And why were countries like the UK originally exempt?

At this point, there is no much evidence that any of the travel bans had a significant impact.
March 14th, and the UK was not exempt.

A snippet from whitehouse.gov:

"CDC has determined that the United Kingdom is experiencing widespread, ongoing person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2. As of March 13, 2020, the World Health Organization reported that the United Kingdom had 594 cases of COVID-19, 5 times more cases than there were 7 days prior."

No evidence that the decision to do so was wrong. Importing sick people is not a smart thing to do if you're trying to put a lid on a pandemic.

Chris B.
My reply was to Tolls about the date of the UK and Ireland travel ban. As above I was defending the date of the UK and Ireland travel ban. My confidence remains.

On a separate issue you seem to focus on, I suppose I could have included a better response to The Great Zaganza by listing the original Europe ban date and include the UK and Ireland ban date 3 days later but that was not in question of determining someone is right or wrong. The part in question is above in Tolls' quoted reply.

Chris B.

You do realize that we can still see the earlier parts of the thread, right? Tolls hadn't posted in the thread for quite some time, your post didn't quote or even mention Tolls, and was literally the next post after The Great Zaganza specifically asked when the Euro travel ban was first enacted.

You lie as badly as Trump does.
Old 5th April 2020, 08:27 AM   #364
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
You're trying to justify the point that people aren't responsible. Trump and his troop DID screw up. That's not what I'm getting at.

RIGHT NOW, people of all types are making this worse. It's not the Trumpers spreading this, it's everyone...and I'd say it's spread is caused by more blue than reds.

You can't have it both ways. Trump screwed up, yes, but people are well aware of the risks now and I see a blatant, arrogant, and ignorant disregard of fellow humans simply to go out and pick up the last roll of toilet paper or last box of poptarts.

The title of this thread implies that the Trumpers have to be saying something stupid. Maybe they are. My first post was pointing out the hypocrisy here. I see, first hand, how people are reacting.

Based on my experiences dealing with the blue and red public is that everyone is stupid even with the facts staring at them in the face.

I am curious on how much different this may have been had Trump, proactively or retroactively, acted in a more responsible manner. Based on the completely irresponsible and stupid population I see daily, I'm not seeing how it could be different.

And it doesn't really matter now, but while I cannot find any articles, I do recall very vividly CNN affiliates on SiriusXM channels ripping into Trump for overreacting early on. They trash him constantly for every breath he takes, so I tend to find it necessary to defend him now and then. The situation here is one of those times.

Permit me to use an analogy:
Trump fumbled the ball, but now the public just keeps kicking it away from him. We'll never find the endzone as long as the public continues to be irresponsible.
You keep making the same flawed argument that "everyone is doing it" based on unconvincing anecdotal evidence and the bizarre implication that everyone living in a blue state must automatically be an anti-Trump Democrat.

Meanwhile, the actual data is clear.

And unfortunately, the hard reality of that data is about to come crashing down on the heads of the people who have been denying it.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:43 AM   #365
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

I will give Trump just a little bit of rope here, because the early going was a slew of misinformation coming out of China and the WHO. Trump didn't prepare anything because we were all being told there was nothing to prepare for. The SARS scare of 2003-04 turned out to be nothing, so that's what EVERYONE (ie: not just Trump) was expecting.

What misinformation? At most they were downplaying the number of cases, but it's unrealistic to think China knew how many people had the virus given that it had only been identified for a few weeks at that point.

Trump didn't prepare anything because we were all being told there was nothing to prepare for.
Where were you getting your information from? If anything the available information back in Jan painted a much more serious picture than what is actuary occurring. Early reports suggested SARS like mortality rates, but unlike SARS it was spreading as a normal respiratory infection would.

The Trump administration were the ones saying "there was nothing to prepare for" in spite of all the warnings from the WHO. Believing their own misinformation isn't a reason to give the Trump administration a pass.
Old 5th April 2020, 08:45 AM   #366
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
You do realize that we can still see the earlier parts of the thread, right? Tolls hadn't posted in the thread for quite some time, your post didn't quote or even mention Tolls, and was literally the next post after The Great Zaganza specifically asked when the Euro travel ban was first enacted.

You lie as badly as Trump does.
I already covered The Great Zaganza reply and that I could have included the earlier order instead of the March 14th order which included UK and Ireland. Since UK and Ireland where in question I included only the March 14th order that included them in MY view of the gist in discussion.

My reply to Tolls was in response to the claim that UK and Ireland travel ban happened a few days after the March 14th, which was untrue.

It seems your view of truthfulness is based on dichotomous thinking about truth. Understandable yet unfortunate.

Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:45 AM   #367
Meadmaker

Chris B.
Your reply was post #207. Tolls' post was #216.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 5th April 2020 at 08:47 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:48 AM   #368
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Your reply was post #207. Tolls post was #216.
Again, my reply to The Great Zaganza is covered above.

What is in question was the response from Tolls.

Chris B.
Old 5th April 2020, 08:51 AM   #369
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

If you simply wish to attack a Trump supporter to relieve stress by all means I'll give you a valid talking point. President Trump is doing a great job. The highest Covid-19 infection areas in the US are all run by Democrats. Their failure to protect their people is evident.

Chris B.

Last edited by ChrisBFRPKY; 5th April 2020 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 5th April 2020, 09:07 AM   #370
Meadmaker

Over at townhall.com today I see a couple of columns related to questioning the reality of the size of the COVID-19 epidemic. There's a really strong anti-intellectual strain in both of those columns. One notes that "experts" don't have to live with the consequences of their predictions, while another notes that models aren't 100% accurate. These are both cited as reason to doubt the validity of predictions about the dire nature of the forecasts.

One point that was made in one of the columns that I agree with (assuming it's true) is that the White House ought to be sharing the models and the data used with those models in order to make predictions. If people are talking 200,000 deaths, where do those numbers come from? What assumptions is that number based on? This seems like basic peer review to me.

Yes, sharing them with the world at large inevitably means sharing them with the press, which means putting up with a bunch of bad analysis, but collectively, the community ought to be able to make sense of them.

Of course, I'm not sure that the assertion is even true. Are the models secret, or is that just a myth from a portion of the press? Do the columnists just not know where to find a description of the models?

Last edited by Meadmaker; 5th April 2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 5th April 2020, 09:24 AM   #371
johnny karate

If you simply wish to attack a Trump supporter to relieve stress by all means I'll give you a valid talking point. President Trump is doing a great job. The highest Covid-19 infection areas in the US are all run by Democrats. Their failure to protect their people is evident.
The internal logic of your argument is flawed.

Trump is in charge of the entire country.

He can’t be doing a great job if parts of the country aren’t doing great.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 09:46 AM   #372
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post

Yes, Trump is responsible for irresponsible Democratic leaders as well. I'll keep telling myself that and let you know if it takes.

Chris B.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:02 AM   #373
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?

No, the buck stops wa-a-a-y over there.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:19 AM   #374
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Yes, Trump is responsible for irresponsible Democratic leaders as well. I'll keep telling myself that and let you know if it takes.

Chris B.
Holding your thumb over the opening doesn't make the gaslight come out any faster.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:42 AM   #375
johnny karate

What have they done that’s irresponsible? Please be specific.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:45 AM   #376
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Chris B.
Which is why California and Washington state are doing well in the covid-19 responses, and infection rate. Since they're both republican run.

Wait. Sorry. It seems your premise is, as usual, very wrong.

We'll see how the states that refuse 'stay at home' orders, or consider church 'essential' do. Those seem republican run.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 10:46 AM   #377
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Be dirty libtards.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 10:47 AM   #378
Meadmaker

A trend I'm still seeing in conservative media is that they aren't really praising Trump, but they are attacking Democrats.

I see a lot of conservative voices decrying our lack of work, and the need to get the economy rolling again. Here's what I wish I saw from the White House. I wish I saw a plan. I wish I saw more transparency. It is not impossible to stand up and say, "By April 20, we will have the capability to test X people per day. This will allow us to detect fresh outbreaks and immediately quarantine indidividuals and do contact tracing. We will also have distributed Y masks, and be producing Z per day. We are also distributing 1 zillion non-contact thermometers. Businesses wishing to reopen must screen all employees for fever daily. Through these measures, we anticipate the new infection rate will drop off to N new cases per day. Sadly, we can never drop that rate to 0, but if we can lower it to N, we can be reasonably safe returning to work. Restaurants will remain closed until the new infection rate drops to M cases...…."

In other words, it would be possible to provide very detailed sorts of information, and planning, to really provide people the information they need to make an informed decision, or perhaps more accurately to describe the informed decisions made by the government.

Unfortunately, I see none of this from Trump, and I don't anticipate seeing any. it's not his style. A presentation like that puts the data at the center. Trump wants to be the center himself. A presentation like that assumes that the decisions are being made from a scientific perspective. Trump seems more into "We have to do this so somebody do something about it or I'm going to use the P act!" A presentation like that is based on the premise that at this moment, we aren't prepared for what we want, but we know where we need to make up ground before we can act. Trump is much more into, "Look at how awesome we are!"

So I assume we will continue to see conservatives demanding an end to the economic pain, but I don't anticipate seeing any plan that would get us there without simply saying, "Too bad about your Aunt Nancy, but 73 is really a pretty long life when you think about it."
Old 5th April 2020, 10:51 AM   #379
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxWQywIuhhA

NYC Mayor Bill downplays Covid-19.

Chris B.
Old 5th April 2020, 11:00 AM   #380
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Which is why California and Washington state are doing well in the covid-19 responses, and infection rate. Since they're both republican run.

Wait. Sorry. It seems your premise is, as usual, very wrong.

We'll see how the states that refuse 'stay at home' orders, or consider church 'essential' do. Those seem republican run.

LA Mayor Eric Garcetti and Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan have changed parties from Democrat to Republican? When did this happen? I can't find anything online about it. LA and Seattle are likely the most Pro-Democrat areas of the US, to suggest they are run by Republicans is outrageously dishonest.

Chris B.
Old 5th April 2020, 11:04 AM   #381
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

LA Mayor Eric Garcetti and Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan have changed parties from Democrat to Republican? When did this happen? I can't find anything online about it. LA and Seattle are likely the most Pro-Democrat areas of the US, to suggest they are run by Republicans is outrageously dishonest.

Chris B.
Why yes they are! Unlike your premise! Washington State started out very bad. Limits were put in place, and Washington state seems to have 'flattened the curve', and doing much better, despite being 'Democratic run'.

Meanwhile, Republican areas are refusing to do 'stay at home' orders, and are allowing churches to.

I know conservatives despise science, but it seems they just want people to die.

Old 5th April 2020, 11:05 AM   #382
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Red face

Chris B.
Trump, around the same time:

Quote:
March 9: “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!” — Trump in a tweet.

March 10: “And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.” — Trump after meeting with Republican senators.
"President Trump is doing a great job." - ChrisBFRPKY
Old 5th April 2020, 11:07 AM   #383
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Why yes they are! Unlike your premise! Washington State started out very bad. Limits were put in place, and Washington state seems to have 'flattened the curve', and doing much better, despite being 'Democratic run'.

Meanwhile, Republican areas are refusing to do 'stay at home' orders, and are allowing churches to.

I know conservatives despise science, but it seems they just want people to die.
I thought I could do this but no, I'm sorry. I'm just gonna bow out and agree to disagree. I know it can be fun to argue points but the subject is a bit too serious as fellow citizens are dying.

Best, Chris B.
Old 5th April 2020, 11:10 AM   #384
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I thought I could do this but no, I'm sorry. I'm just gonna bow out and agree to disagree. I know it can be fun to argue points but the subject is a bit too serious as fellow citizens are dying.

Best, Chris B.
In short, your gaslighting ain't workin' so your gonna pretend to get all serious about human lives since blaming the democrats for everything is getting no traction.
Old 5th April 2020, 11:11 AM   #385
johnny karate

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjTaR748eg

Trump downplays Covid-19.

Why do you hold De Blasio accountable for downplaying Covid-19 but not Trump?
Old 5th April 2020, 11:36 AM   #386
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Chris B.
Is the "downplaying" supposed to be that he wasn't putting the city in lock-down back when it had only 25 known cases? Otherwise he seems pretty on top of things, particularly he's already sound the bell on the issues with lack of testing and shortages of medical equipment. I'm not sure what more he could have been doing/saying at that point in time.
Old 5th April 2020, 11:50 AM   #387
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I had the same thought. Also, do we see Dems defending De Blasio's early downplaying of the virus like Repubs are defending Trump? No. WAPO, MSN, Huffpost,and CNN, all considered "lefties" by Trump, have all criticized De Blasio's early message.
Quote:
8 times Bill de Blasio downplayed the coronavirus

Over the past month, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio has regularly sought to downplay the coronavirus threat with a mix of facts and false statements.
WAPO April 1, 2020

Quote:
Mixed messages

But de Blasio, in his defiant style, dug himself a deeper hole. His early declarations, before the first cases turned up, urging New Yorkers to go about their business, were followed by a bizarre stretch capped off by a visit to his gym on March 16, the first day of school closures -- as the city settled in anxiously for a coming storm.
CNN
Wed April 1, 2020

Quote:
The mayor had previously downplayed the ability of coronavirus to spread without symptoms
Speaking of the disease during a March 15 interview, de Blasio said, “Public health folks say it appears that transmission is when people are symptomatic.” The mayor’s claim came one month after the CDC director told CNN the disease was likely being spread asymptomatically, as well.
Huffpost 04/05/2020
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 11:52 AM   #388
Meadmaker

Chris seems to be exemplifying the observation from my last post.

A trend I'm still seeing in conservative media is that they aren't really praising Trump, but they are attacking Democrats.
Old 5th April 2020, 12:41 PM   #389
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The man who loves to claim "Fake News" is one of its leading sources:

Quote:
Fact-checking President Donald Trump's claims about coronavirus

Amid the pandemic, Trump has made a number of false or misleading statements.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...virus-n1174356
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 12:45 PM   #390
johnny karate

Best, Chris B.
This moral posturing rings a bit hollow considering that just a few posts ago, you were gloating about the number of coronavirus infections in areas run by Democrats.
Old 5th April 2020, 12:51 PM   #391
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I had the same thought. Also, do we see Dems defending De Blasio's early downplaying of the virus like Repubs are defending Trump? No. WAPO, MSN, Huffpost,and CNN, all considered "lefties" by Trump, have all criticized De Blasio's early message.
I'm not going to defend his statements, but trying to use those statements to turn this in to a 'Trump was perfect, it was all the local democratic governments that made this into a disaster' is, quite frankly, obscene.

johnny karate is rightly noting that the President, a man with access to a much larger intelligence network, much greater resources, and so forth was making much more dismissive comments than the Mayor. Yet according to the Trump fan in the room "President Trump is doing a great job."

Frankly, we've seen this tactic before. Post-Katrina the standard tactic by Bush followers was to attack the local Governors & Mayors (who did have issues) but that couldn't gloss over the fact that the Federal response to the Katrina crisis made things much. much worse.

Trump is in the same position and has made things much worse. Using the mayor's early downplaying of the disease as a get-out-of-responsibility-free card is pretty disgusting. Yet, here we are, the GOP playbook is open to attack the local government if they have a 'D' next to their name. Its the old tactic: always attack, never defend. We're now at that stage since the flagrant denial antics by the GOP are no longer viable.
Old 5th April 2020, 01:00 PM   #392
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I'm not going to defend his statements, but trying to use those statements to turn this in to a 'Trump was perfect, it was all the local democratic governments that made this into a disaster' is, quite frankly, obscene.

johnny karate is rightly noting that the President, a man with access to a much larger intelligence network, much greater resources, and so forth was making much more dismissive comments than the Mayor. Yet according to the Trump fan in the room "President Trump is doing a great job."

Frankly, we've seen this tactic before. Post-Katrina the standard tactic by Bush followers was to attack the local Governors & Mayors (who did have issues) but that couldn't gloss over the fact that the Federal response to the Katrina crisis made things much. much worse.

Trump is in the same position and has made things much worse. Using the mayor's early downplaying of the disease as a get-out-of-responsibility-free card is pretty disgusting. Yet, here we are, the GOP playbook is open to attack the local government if they have a 'D' next to their name. Its the old tactic: always attack, never defend. We're now at that stage since the flagrant denial antics by the GOP are no longer viable.
I agree with that. A major difference is that De Blasio also acknowledges he was wrong in his earlier assessment whereas Trump never, ever admits he was wrong about anything.

Always attack, never defend is similar to "the best defense is a good offense" tactic that Trump and his followers employ.

As for Katrina, have you forgotten that Brownie did a "heck of a job"?
Old 5th April 2020, 01:16 PM   #393
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Chris B.
He's right that the highest C-19 infection areas are in those that are run by Democrats but he's completely wrong as to the reasons why:

Quote:
The moves by state governments to slow the coronavirus outbreak follow the contours of a familiar map, one that traces the lines of the nation’s political divisions.

Because the outbreak has hit urban areas harder than less-populated communities, it has been felt less in the nation’s Republican strongholds than in Democratic ones, bringing a partisan tint to views of how the outbreak is being experienced and should be addressed.

That has also meant that some Republican elected officials have been hesitant to call for statewide stay-at-home orders for fear of upending rural areas that have yet to record many cases or any at all.

As of Thursday, 91% of counties that voted for Hillary Clinton for president in 2016 had at least one case of coronavirus, and 47% had at least one death, a Wall Street Journal analysis of virus data compiled by Johns Hopkins University shows.

By contrast, 69% of counties that voted for President Trump had at least one case, and 14% had a death. Those counties on the whole are less densely populated than Clinton counties, and most rural areas tend to lean Republican.
Quote:
“There was a clear, large partisan divide in concern about the epidemic,” said Mr. Franklin, director of the Marquette Law School poll. “Beginning in early March, Democrats became quite concerned, Republicans were very slow to respond.”

By mid-March, Mr. Franklin said, Republicans started to also become more concerned. “We’re still seeing a bit of a partisan gap in Wisconsin and one nationally, but the gap has shrunk as Republicans have gotten more concerned,” he said.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-cor...es-11586001600

(Also available on Microsoft News feed)
Old 5th April 2020, 05:49 PM   #394
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Because he's a typical conservative.
Old 5th April 2020, 05:52 PM   #395
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

He's right that the highest C-19 infection areas are in those that are run by Democrats but he's completely wrong as to the reasons why:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-cor...es-11586001600

(Also available on Microsoft News feed)
Republican areas such as Houston TX are underreporting their virus cases. That's why they seem to be doing better.
Old 5th April 2020, 06:02 PM   #396
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Republican areas such as Houston TX are underreporting their virus cases. That's why they seem to be doing better.
Citation?
Old 5th April 2020, 06:27 PM   #397
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

s

Are they doing better?

Philadelphia is a smaller population city but a much more dense eastern city.

Cases as of 7 hours ago. 3189, with 43 deaths.

https://6abc.com/coronovirus-philade...virus/6078961/

Houston, as of 2 hours ago: 2426 cases, 41 deaths.

Houston is one big suburb and yet their stats are nothing to brag about.
Old 5th April 2020, 06:42 PM   #398
Meadmaker

Slightly lower numbers today in the US overall, in New York, and in Michigan.

Is that an actual lower number of cases, or is reporting less prompt on Sunday. Is it a sign that these restrictions are working, or will we get a huge Monday bump as the reports catch up?
Old 5th April 2020, 07:06 PM   #399
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Citation?
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...al_taboolafeed
Old 5th April 2020, 11:11 PM   #400
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That's a link to one area (Houston), not "Republican areas". Additionally, it's not that they're under reporting their cases, it's that they're reporting only confirmed cases. That doesn't have anything to do with whether it's a GOP or Dem area. From you link:

Quote:
While limited testing has prevented officials here and across the state from getting a complete accounting of how many people have been infected with the coronavirus, hospitals in greater Houston have seen a steep increase — 40 percent over four days — in the number of patients believed to be suffering from the virus, according to a daily census of hospital admissions collected by the SouthEast Texas Regional Advisory Council, which helps coordinate emergency response efforts

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics