IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 16th April 2020, 06:13 PM   #361
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I walked by her end a minute ago.
Nice way to talk about Mrs. Trebuchet.

SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 06:19 PM   #362
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Remember when Pence ordered his Coronavirus task staff not to go on CNN?
After that story hit the media, that order was reversed:
Quote:

Vice President Mike Pence's office reversed course on Thursday afternoon, after declining for days to allow the nation's top health officials to appear on CNN and discuss the coronavirus pandemic, in what was an attempt to pressure the network into carrying the White House's lengthy daily briefings in full.

After this story was published, Pence's office allowed for the booking of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield for CNN's Thursday night coronavirus town hall. Dr. Anthony Fauci was also booked for Friday on "New Day."

Previously, Pence's office, which is responsible for booking the officials on networks during the pandemic, said it would only allow experts such as Fauci or Dr. Deborah Birx to appear on CNN if the network televised the portion of the White House briefings that includes the vice president and other coronavirus task force members.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/media...rus/index.html
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 07:09 PM   #363
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

I doubt the original order came from Pence.
Old 16th April 2020, 09:03 PM   #364
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

We went about this all wrong.

At the very beginning, we should have told the president that if the followed the advice of the medical staff, he would receive a $300,000,000 bonus.

And then negotiate with various media outlets to throw in things like Time Magazine’s Person-of-the-Year award, network coverage for 3 political rallies of his choice, and 14 column-inches in the Sunday New York Times from the next 12 weeks.

We could have saved A LOT of money.

Last edited by Ladewig; 16th April 2020 at 09:04 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 10:01 PM   #365
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

If he's too vain to wear glasses then he could wear 'reading' contacts that correct both near and far seeing problems. Or, he could get laser surgery that does the same thing. I got that almost 30 years ago. It was very easy. Personally, I'd rather get either than look like a 3rd grade school kid reading a book report that clearly my high school sibling wrote for me.
He can have his statement printed in any size type he needs. Glasses aren't the problem.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 10:21 PM   #366
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Let me get this straight... an OANN poll gives Trump a 7-point lead in Jesse Helms Country?
Perhaps a better first question is... does that poll even exist in the first place? Apparently, there is no such OANN poll. There is, apparently, a poll by a right wing think tank that matches the numbers, but... meh. Right wing think tanks tend not to be anywhere close to as reliable as they like to try to make themselves sound.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

Crazy Nancy Pelosi deleted this from her Twitter account. She wanted everyone to pack into Chinatown long after I closed the BORDER TO CHINA. Based on her statement, she is responsible for many deaths. She’s an incompetent, third-rate politician!

(link to video in tweet). https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...52583318736896
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
The big fat liar did no such thing.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-tr...deb1ce0b3.html
Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
is this another one of his "I know you are but what am I" defenses?
I'm mildly surprised that the obvious wasn't pointed out. Chinatown is NOT China.

The United States could send Russia ventilators

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/...mp-says-a70008
Fits the usual pattern of Make Russia Great Again.

Last edited by Aridas; 16th April 2020 at 10:23 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 12:02 AM   #367
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I doubt the original order came from Pence.
Perhaps not but shouldn't his 'office' have run it past him first?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 12:04 AM   #368
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
He can have his statement printed in any size type he needs. Glasses aren't the problem.
I agree. I've never thought the problem is related to not wearing glasses.
Old 17th April 2020, 12:24 AM   #369
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I have a question. Is he really as inarticulate as he seems, or is he just pandering to his base by not using them fancy words?
He really is like that. It's a marriage made in heaven.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 01:45 AM   #370
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

THANK GOD FOR TRUCKERS!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 01:47 AM   #371
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

THANK GOD FOR TRUCKERS!
He really is like Toad in Wind in the Willows "Poop, poop"
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 06:24 AM   #372
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'll say it again. Even rats in a maze figure out how to avoid getting shocked. These morons are dumber than rats.
Old 17th April 2020, 06:33 AM   #373
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump tweets - Crazy Nancy Pelosi deleted this from her Twitter account. She wanted everyone to pack into Chinatown long after I closed the BORDER TO CHINA. Based on her statement, she is responsible for many deaths. She’s an incompetent, third-rate politician!
It's really off-the-rails the way this moron addresses other elected leaders. The name calling. Nancy Pelosi is crazy, she's incompetent, a third-rate politician, responsible for people dying. WTF? Who addresses other people this way? Other elected officials don't refer to Trump this way. This is how a president addresses the leader of the opposition party? In what ******** country is this the norm? Sadly, in our ******** country, thanks to the ******** president we have.

This is the moron's wife discussing the use of the internet:
Quote:
Communicate your values clearly so your kids can make thoughtful decisions when they face tricky situations...The internet — and technology in general — are powerful forces for good. I believe that, together, we can make a real difference in encouraging positive behavior online. First Lady Link
Yet nobody in public life calls this whackjob out on this. I guess he's already degraded our standards beyond that point.

Unbelievable.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 06:59 AM   #374
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Who watches these things (other than idiots and masochists)?

While I was briefly in the office yesterday to collect and mail some checks, a coworker walked past my office and we started talking (at a safe distance). He watches Trump's and Governor Cuomo's press conferences obsessively to stay informed on what's happening.
However, I mentioned a few past events.

Trump not wanting to remove passengers from a cruise ship because "it will make our numbers go up".
"I thought that was the Governor of California."

Trump saying he had inherited a bad test that was just developed in January.
"Maybe he meant a test for a different coronavirus strain."

Trump cutting WHO funding.
"This may not be the best time, but if they're showing favoritism to certain countries or helping cover things up, maybe we should put it on hold while they're investigated."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 07:20 AM   #375
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
It's really off-the-rails the way this moron addresses other elected leaders. The name calling. Nancy Pelosi is crazy, she's incompetent, a third-rate politician, responsible for people dying. WTF? Who addresses other people this way? Other elected officials don't refer to Trump this way. This is how a president addresses the leader of the opposition party? In what ******** country is this the norm? Sadly, in our ******** country, thanks to the ******** president we have.

Yet nobody in public life calls this whackjob out on this. I guess he's already degraded our standards beyond that point.

Unbelievable.
A word that few seem to use anymore: Propriety, "the state or quality of conforming to conventionally accepted standards of behavior or morals."

Trump didn't degrade conventionally accepted standards by himself. The degradation is a progression that began with cable television, the proliferation of television stations that didn't have to conform to the standards of the Big 3 networks.

The next step was the gutting of the "Equal Time Rule" and the "Fairness Doctrine." This left radio and television stations free to air biased material.

Then Rush Limbaugh reached syndication in 1988. Next, the development of the Internet in the early 90's. After that, in 1996, the birth of Fox News. Soon after, the proliferation of cell phones and social media.

All of this and other factors, has led to the degradation of accepted standards of behavior and morals in the U.S. Trump himself didn't cause this, he is the product of it and has taken full advantage.

40 years ago, idiots didn't have a worldwide soapbox for their racism, sexism, xenophobia, conspiracy theories, etc. They couldn't spread their hatred widely. Now they have that ability, and the ability to recruit others into their insanity.

I can remember a time, at least where I grew up, when people who expressed the kind of views that are now considered normal who have been shunned. Today, almost half the people in this country agree with these views.

We've become a nation of fear and loathing. We opened Pandora's box in the name of freedom of speech and ideas, and we can never close it again.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."

Last edited by shemp; 17th April 2020 at 07:22 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 07:25 AM   #376
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That's all part of his "charm."

We've become a nation of "kneejerks" who are "too easily offended" and "fake" and "phony" and worst of all... *pause as I build the moral strength required to even say such a vile word....* "DRAMATIC."

We need a "think from the gut" no nonsense leader who "speaks his mind" to counter all the damage done by those uppity intellectuals.
Old 17th April 2020, 07:27 AM   #377
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

Unbelievable.
I watched a movie last night. "Deep Impact". For those of you who haven't seen it, it's one of the "killer asteroid" movies. Not a bad flick, in my opinion. What struck me was that Morgan Freeman plays the president, and he is portrayed as a sort of ideal president. Yes, he was working from a script, so he could be ideal pretty easily. However, he wasn't all that different from every president in my lifetime, until this one. When the scriptwriters put together an image of a perfect president, they took real presidents, and made them a bit better. There was absolutely no trace of Trump in that character.

How did we sink so low, from that ideal of a president, to the current reality?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 07:39 AM   #378
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

The next step was the gutting of the "Equal Time Rule" and the "Fairness Doctrine." This left radio and television stations free to air biased material.

Then Rush Limbaugh reached syndication in 1988. Next, the development of the Internet in the early 90's. After that, in 1996, the birth of Fox News. Soon after, the proliferation of cell phones and social media.

All of this and other factors, has led to the degradation of accepted standards of behavior and morals in the U.S. Trump himself didn't cause this, he is the product of it and has taken full advantage.
I agree with a lot of this.

Quote:
40 years ago, idiots didn't have a worldwide soapbox for their racism, sexism, xenophobia, conspiracy theories, etc. They couldn't spread their hatred widely. Now they have that ability, and the ability to recruit others into their insanity.

I can remember a time, at least where I grew up, when people who expressed the kind of views that are now considered normal who have been shunned. Today, almost half the people in this country agree with these views.
On this point, though, I disagree. Where I grew up at least, racism was pretty common, and a lot more than is acceptable now And sexism and homophobia were just normal. (I was born in 62, graduated high school 40 years ago) I was a liberal, so I occasionally objected when people complained about (insert the N word here), but I wasn't too vocal about it, because that could be kind of dangerous. I think there was a lot more racism then, at least in small town Illinois, but it wasn't a whole lot different when I went of to a University where there were a lot more city and suburban folk, in a lot more cosmopolitan atmosphere.

To me, Trump's ideology isn't so incredibly extreme that I find it unacceptable. I don't agree with it, but it doesn't make my skin crawl. It's his attitude, his manners, his general embracing of anti-intellectualism. I contrast Donald Trump with Jack Kennedy sometimes. I feel like Donald Trump is "We are entitled to greatness because we are Americans", where Jack Kennedy was more, "We are obligated to be great, because we are Americans."

I don't remember Kennedy, and I'm sure the real Kennedy wasn't as good as the sound bites, but we really need someone like that now.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 17th April 2020 at 07:41 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 07:43 AM   #379
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
How did we sink so low, from that ideal of a president, to the current reality?
One reason is that he ran on the oldest, simplest of political promises: "If you vote for me, I will make your life better," and the people who felt left behind and left out by a changing economy believed him. His clueless opponent told those people "You're a basket of deplorables."
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 07:43 AM   #380
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Who knew, Governor Lepetomane was real.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 07:51 AM   #381
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

One reason is that he ran on the oldest, simplest of political promises: "If you vote for me, I will make your life better," and the people who felt left behind and left out by a changing economy believed him. His clueless opponent told those people "You're a basket of deplorables."
If they felt she was saying they were a basket of deplorables, it was because they did not fit in the other basket, of those who felt that they hadn't been served well by previous administrations and were looking to improve themselves.

But I'm sure they would have voted for her if not that for that statement, right?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 07:52 AM   #382
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Adjust that to "If you vote for me, I will make life worse for the people who you think wronged you."
Old 17th April 2020, 07:52 AM   #383
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

To me, Trump's ideology isn't so incredibly extreme that I find it unacceptable. I don't agree with it, but it doesn't make my skin crawl. It's his attitude, his manners, his general embracing of anti-intellectualism. I contrast Donald Trump with Jack Kennedy sometimes. I feel like Donald Trump is "We are entitled to greatness because we are Americans", where Jack Kennedy was more, "We are obligated to be great, because we are Americans."

I don't remember Kennedy, and I'm sure the real Kennedy wasn't as good as the sound bites, but we really need someone like that now.
When the cameras were off, was Kennedy actually a good man though? I hear what you are saying about the way Trump comes across, and I can empathise with your reaction. But plenty of terrible people know how to put on a suit and can make a good speech about hope and change. They do that because it appeals to the prejudices, fears, desires and expectations of their audience. Is the presentation really that important?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 07:57 AM   #384
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I agree with a lot of this.

On this point, though, I disagree. Where I grew up at least, racism was pretty common, and a lot more than is acceptable now And sexism and homophobia were just normal. (I was born in 62, graduated high school 40 years ago) I was a liberal, so I occasionally objected when people complained about (insert the N word here), but I wasn't too vocal about it, because that could be kind of dangerous. I think there was a lot more racism then, at least in small town Illinois, but it wasn't a whole lot different when I went of to a University where there were a lot more city and suburban folk, in a lot more cosmopolitan atmosphere.

I didn't say that it wasn't common. There are two key differences between that era and today.

In 1980:

1. There were no national media outlets that portrayed it as normal and acceptable.

2. Many people who had those beliefs knew that those beliefs were unacceptable, and they kept it to themselves. Some, of course, did not, but they were generally portrayed in the media as outliers.

In 2020:

1. There are national media outlets that portray it as acceptable, often claiming the false equivalency that it's no different than the beliefs and behavior of liberals. Indeed, many national media outlets claim that these kind of beliefs and behaviors are necessary to "save America."

2. Individuals who harbor these beliefs find their beliefs justified by the large numbers of like-minded individuals on social media. They get the idea that these beliefs are commonplace and acceptable, and that they themselves are not outliers but in fact a majority.

I think it's difficult to make a case that America's standards for decency and morality haven't fallen in the last 40 years. They've collapsed almost completely. People are more openly embracing bad standards.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."

Last edited by shemp; 17th April 2020 at 08:05 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 08:03 AM   #385
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Adjust that to "If you vote for me, I will make life worse for the people who you think wronged you."
Exactly.

After seeing the display yesterday from Trump supporters protesting people trying to save their lives, any lingering shred of doubt that I had regarding their motives has evaporated.

Despite the BS they’ve been shoveling for the last decade or more, there is no defining or consistent principle that drives these people. They’ve proven themselves hypocrites at every turn.

These people are driven by fear and hatred, pure and simple.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 08:03 AM   #386
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Yeah, there was that too.

Last edited by Bob001; 17th April 2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 17th April 2020, 08:05 AM   #387
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I didn't say that it wasn't common. There are two key differences between that era and today.

In 1980:

1. There were no national media outlets that portrayed it as normal and acceptable.

2. Many people who had those beliefs knew that those beliefs were unacceptable, and they kept it to themselves. Some, of course, did not, but they were generally portrayed in the media as outliers.

In 2020:

1. There are national media outlets that portray it as acceptable, often claiming the false equivalency that it's no different than the beliefs and behavior of liberals. Indeed, many national media outlets claim that these kind of beliefs and behaviors are necessary to "save America."

2. Individuals who harbor these beliefs find their beliefs justified by the large numbers of like-minded individuals on social media. They get the idea that these beliefs are commonplace and acceptable, and that they themselves are not outliers but in fact a majority.

I think it's difficult to make a case that America's standards for decency and morality haven't fallen in the last 40 years. They've collapsed almost completely.
Different country, I know... but in the UK the Black and White minstrel show was airing in the UK until 1978 on the BBC. I struggle to believe that any western country is a more racist place now than it was in 1980.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 08:06 AM   #388
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
If they felt she was saying they were a basket of deplorables, it was because they did not fit in the other basket, of those who felt that they hadn't been served well by previous administrations and were looking to improve themselves.

But I'm sure they would have voted for her if not that for that statement, right?

Probably not, but some might have been less motivated to say "I'll show you!" and vote for Trump.
Old 17th April 2020, 08:08 AM   #389
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
These people are driven by fear and hatred, pure and simple.
It sounds like you fear and hate them.
Old 17th April 2020, 08:15 AM   #390
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Different country, I know... but in the UK the Black and White minstrel show was airing in the UK until 1978 on the BBC. I struggle to believe that any western country is a more racist place now than it was in 1980.
It certainly seems much more acceptable to express openly racist opinions than it was back in 1980.

That's not to say that such opinions didn't exist and were merely unexpressed and of course it may be that the issue is that the internet and social media gives a tiny number of racists far better reach than they had back then.

40 years ago it was just a handful of misfits in a pub. Now it's groups of misfits banding together and broadcasting their opinions, which are then picked up by the mainstream press.

Maybe people are indeed less racist, some forms of institutional racism have been directly addressed in the UK, but BAME people still seem to suffer disproportionately from educational, financial, and health inequalities in the UK.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 08:23 AM   #391
Meadmaker

When the cameras were off, was Kennedy actually a good man though? I hear what you are saying about the way Trump comes across, and I can empathise with your reaction. But plenty of terrible people know how to put on a suit and can make a good speech about hope and change. They do that because it appeals to the prejudices, fears, desires and expectations of their audience. Is the presentation really that important?
From what I have read of Kennedy, I think he was a good man when the cameras were off. Obviously, I don't know. Famously, he wasn't faithful to his wife, so if that's something that you think matters, that is a flaw, but generally, I don't think he was a bad guy.

Trump is a bad guy, even when the cameras are on. Narcissistic, lying, puts himself above anyone else, and surrounds himself with sycophants, getting rid of anyone who challenges him.

Maybe Kennedy was only good when the cameras were rolling, but I'd settle for that. If you can't even be good when you're on stage, there's no hope that you'll be good when no one is looking.
Old 17th April 2020, 08:38 AM   #392
johnny karate

I hate their ignorance and selfishness and fear that they’re going to get people killed because of it.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 08:45 AM   #393
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

From what I have read of Kennedy, I think he was a good man when the cameras were off. Obviously, I don't know. Famously, he wasn't faithful to his wife, so if that's something that you think matters, that is a flaw, but generally, I don't think he was a bad guy.
I think it goes a little deeper than that "[Kennedy] wasn't faithful to his wife"]. For myself I don't expect psychologically good, normal people to run countries. If one did, they'd be no good at it.

Trump is a bad guy, even when the cameras are on. Narcissistic, lying, puts himself above anyone else, and surrounds himself with sycophants, getting rid of anyone who challenges him.
Is your moral judgement of him as a person the most important thing, or the outcomes in terms on enacted policies and their consequences? The former is certainly very entertaining, but is it actually important?

Maybe Kennedy was only good when the cameras were rolling, but I'd settle for that. If you can't even be good when you're on stage, there's no hope that you'll be good when no one is looking.
You don't think there is a certain kind of honesty in Trumps approach of "saying the quiet part loud"?
Old 17th April 2020, 08:48 AM   #394
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

I hate their ignorance and selfishness and fear that they’re going to get people killed because of it.
Everybody has a story for why the hate and fear that motivates them is justified.
Old 17th April 2020, 09:00 AM   #395
johnny karate

Everybody has a story for why the hate and fear that motivates them is justified.
My story is that idiots are putting all of our lives at risk with their stupid and reckless behavior.

What’s the story for these people you seem to want to defend?
Old 17th April 2020, 09:02 AM   #396
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It certainly seems much more acceptable to express openly racist opinions than it was back in 1980.
I strongly suspect that is due to who you were hanging around with back then. I can remember teachers behaving in ways/saying things that would have them thrown out of the profession today.

That's not to say that such opinions didn't exist and were merely unexpressed and of course it may be that the issue is that the internet and social media gives a tiny number of racists far better reach than they had back then.
This is certainly true.

40 years ago it was just a handful of misfits in a pub. Now it's groups of misfits banding together and broadcasting their opinions, which are then picked up by the mainstream press.
I think this really depends what you mean. If you are talking about people whose worldview is defined by race, and want to be active about it... then I'm sure it was a relatively small group that probably finds it easier to connect now. The background level of everyday racism though seems to me like it was much more common then.

Maybe people are indeed less racist, some forms of institutional racism have been directly addressed in the UK, but BAME people still seem to suffer disproportionately from educational, financial, and health inequalities in the UK.
Maybe? The reason we are talking about institutional racism and micro-aggressions now is because actual racism has massively declined. Imagine what would happen if somebody tried to put the Black and White Minstrels on the BBC today?
Old 17th April 2020, 09:03 AM   #397
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That just sounds like a new minor variation on someone not understanding the paradox of tolerance.
Old 17th April 2020, 09:09 AM   #398
Meadmaker

I think it goes a little deeper than that "[Kennedy] wasn't faithful to his wife"]. For myself I don't expect psychologically good, normal people to run countries. If one did, they'd be no good at it.
Well, certainly presidents are not "normal" or "average".

Quote:
Is your moral judgement of him as a person the most important thing, or the outcomes in terms on enacted policies and their consequences? The former is certainly very entertaining, but is it actually important?
I think the former leads to the latter.

Quote:
You don't think there is a certain kind of honesty in Trumps approach of "saying the quiet part loud"?
There's a certain transparency on people with no filter, but it isn't honesty with Trump. It's just impulsiveness. He has no regard for the truth. Reality is expected to bend to his will. Trump isn't a phony. What you see is what you get, and I wouldn't say that about every politician or every president. What you see is the real deal with Trump. And it's ugly.
Old 17th April 2020, 09:18 AM   #399
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing

My story is that idiots are putting all of our lives at risk with their stupid and reckless behavior.
Do you mean the people protesting? I imagine some of them are concerned that rights are being infringed with very little thought, and in some cases to very little purpose. Wasn't there a state that was banning drive through Easter services, I think at the same time as drive through liquor stores were still allowed? It's not like there aren't lots of examples of official overreach if its the sort of thing one is interested in. In the UK police were threatening to search peoples shopping baskets in case they bought something non-essential with their essential purchases.
Old 17th April 2020, 09:20 AM   #400
Meadmaker

Maybe? The reason we are talking about institutional racism and micro-aggressions now is because actual racism has massively declined. Imagine what would happen if somebody tried to put the Black and White Minstrels on the BBC today?
Have you ever noticed that you never see "Holiday Inn" at Christmas anymore? (In case there are youngster's in the audience, "Holiday Inn" is the movie where the song "White Christmas" appeared, sung by Bing Crosby.

I wondered about that. I figured it was just an old fashioned movie, gone out of style, but there were other oldies that appeared at Christmas. Then I remembered, there's a blackface scene in it. It wouldn't be acceptable today.

In general, I absolutely agree that there was a lot more racism then. I'm puzzled that anyone could think any differently. I can remember "****** lover" being used as an insult, among people who were pretty much normal folks. Today, it's censored (as you can no doubt see in the asterisks in the previous sentence.)

Remember Archie Bunker? He was portrayed as old fashioned and dimwitted, but he was not portrayed as a bad person, because he was pretty normal. He was portrayed as a good man who was mired in a time of ignorance, but he was not portrayed as a bad man.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics