IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 14th April 2020, 11:35 AM   #161
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I agree, Bill de Blasio needs to be fired.

And I agree, Bill de Blasio needs to be fired.

Now let's see you do Trump.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:35 AM   #162
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...ity-mayor.html
Trump used similar rhetoric.

Should he also be fired?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 11:47 AM   #163
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Chris B.
Yes or no, did Trump call the virus a hoax? Simple question.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:49 AM   #164
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Chris B.
De Blasio was wrong. As he is in the last year of his second term and cannot serve as mayor again until 4 years after he leaves office, he likely won't face the consequences of his lack of action.

From your post, I take it you think Trump should be 'fired', too?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 11:52 AM   #165
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Quote:
Hopefully this indicates Wisconsin voters are fed up with the GOP and will vote Dem in Nov.
I'd place it in the 50/50 range. I suspect that the Republicans' insistence on holding the election on time pissed people off, which affected their votes. Whether that anger holds to November will probably depend on how long the overall economy remains closed.
Correct me if I'm wrong... but the presidential primaries run at the same time as the state Supreme court elections?

If so that might have been a factor in the Democratic victory... after all, since Trump was basically running unopposed, his supporters didn't have to go to the polls to ensure he won the primaries, whereas the democratic primaries still had 2 possible candidates to vote for. That meant more democratic turnout to vote in the primary (and thus more left-leaning voters able to cast their votes for the supreme court nominees, who would be more likely to pick the left-wing candidate.)

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 11:56 AM   #166
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'd place it in the 50/50 range. I suspect that the Republicans' insistence on holding the election on time pissed people off, which affected their votes. Whether that anger holds to November will probably depend on how long the overall economy remains closed.
Trump won Wisconsin with a razor thin margin of 0.77%. Wisconsin is traditionally a blue state and this could return them to voting Dem.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 11:57 AM   #167
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong... but the presidential primaries run at the same time as the state Supreme court elections?

If so that might have been a factor in the Democratic victory... after all, since Trump was basically running unopposed, his supporters didn't have to go to the polls to ensure he won the primaries, whereas the democratic primaries still had 2 possible candidates to vote for. That meant more democratic turnout to vote in the primary (and thus more left-leaning voters able to cast their votes for the supreme court nominees, who would be more likely to pick the left-wing candidate.)
That's definitely a factor. Still, every non-Republican (non-crazy person) in this country should be enraged by states pushing ahead with in-person elections right now. It's ******* insane and will almost certainly kill people who would otherwise have stayed alive.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 12:12 PM   #168
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

So, the “re-open” committee is going to have such metric-savvy people as Ivanka.

A committee full of people who are going to give their proxy vote to President Trump.

Quelle surprise
Old 14th April 2020, 12:24 PM   #169
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
So, the “re-open” committee is going to have such metric-savvy people as Ivanka.

A committee full of people who are going to give their proxy vote to President Trump.

Quelle surprise
I was gonna say that at least she's smarter than her father, but there's no evidence of that.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 12:28 PM   #170
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I was gonna say that at least she's smarter than her father, but there's no evidence of that.
She might, at times, appear smarter than her father but that is just a matter of her not having an all-consuming mental disorder.

ETA
She smart enough to know her life will be hell if she publicly disagrees with her father about a re-open date.

Last edited by Ladewig; 14th April 2020 at 12:29 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 12:29 PM   #171
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quelle surprise
Not according to what Trump told reporters.

Quote:
The President's senior advisers Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump will not participate, Trump told reporters on Monday. The disclosure caught some of his aides by surprise because the President's son-in-law and daughter were expected by some to be involved.
link
Old 14th April 2020, 12:37 PM   #172
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

link
From the link.

Quote:
Inside the West Wing, the new panel is viewed as a counterbalance to the health-focused task force, particularly as Trump weighs whether to lift mitigation recommendations by May 1 -- a move that he hopes will lead to a "reopening" of the country. Officials have been trying to tamp down the formality of the second task force, hinting that it won't meet regularly like the one focused on public health does.
A ******* health crisis doesn't need a counterbalance. It needs fact-based decision making, not gut instinct or or whatever nonsense is floating around in that rock-filled space Trump was tapping the other day. It certainly doesn't need a bunch of $$$ pimps pushing against medical science.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 01:08 PM   #173
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

On Bill Blasio:

Quote:
Three days later, facing (to use a favorite de Blasio-ism) “a very different reality,” including a growing outcry from parents and from his own public-health officials, some of whom threatened to quit if he didn’t shutter schools and start taking the outbreak more seriously, New York City public schools were officially closed, probably for the rest of the school year.

Shortly thereafter, he declined to cancel St. Patrick’s Day parade and then did. He resisted calls to cancel regular street sweeping and then did. He had a photo op at a 311 call center, where he told a caller who had just returned from Italy that she did not need to self-quarantine, advice that forced 311 to actually call the woman back and tell her to stay inside for 14 days. The mayor touted the city’s new, wide-scale testing capacity, only to have his Health Department announce that only hospitalized patients should be tested. He tweeted at Elon Musk to supply the city with ventilators. When a New York Times reporter wrote of his own gut-wrenching story about contracting COVID-19 and being unable to get help, a top mayoral aide chastised him online for seeking help at all rather than just getting better at home. And the mayor himself told a radio host that people who don’t display symptoms can’t transmit the disease, an assertion that contradicts information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Wow, this reads... just like Trump's MO.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 01:22 PM   #174
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Tell the Democrat Governors that “Mutiny On The Bounty” was one of my all time favorite movies.

Wrong mutiny. The present one looks like finishing up as this:

Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers...

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 01:57 PM   #175
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

link
Well, I got that completely wrong.
Old 14th April 2020, 02:25 PM   #176
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Well...this is tangential, but a bit relevant to what you just said, conveniently.

Trump Campaign Sues Small Wisconsin TV Station Over Critical Super PAC Ad

Yup. The Trump campaign is on the attack in relation to that Priorities USA ad.

For the fun of it from that, though...
WJFW is my local NBC affiliate, and I can confirm it is indeed a small station. I guess Trump's people were too scared to sue the larger WAOW (ABC) and WSAW (CBS) stations.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 02:37 PM   #177
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

link

Quote:
"It's a mess right now," someone in close contact with the White House said.

Can we just make that a sticky post for the whole Trump administration?
Old 14th April 2020, 02:37 PM   #178
autumn1971
Illuminator

There’s been a pattern over the last twenty years or so of left-leaning people acknowledging that “oh, this left-leaning person did something that is equivalent to the right-Leaning person. They were wrong and should face consequences. So how do you feel about the abuse you just described being done by a right-leaning person?”

“Ha! You admitted it! That means my guy is perfectly correct!”
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 02:40 PM   #179
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Quote:
Trump said Monday he expects recommendations from the committee "soon."
"They already know what I want," he said, "I don't have to give them instructions. They are sophisticated people, the best people in their fields."

"Will no one rid me of this turbulent virus?"
Old 14th April 2020, 03:15 PM   #180
Meadmaker

Trump just announced he is suspending WHO funding.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 03:19 PM   #181
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
WHO's fault it is.
Old 14th April 2020, 03:20 PM   #182
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Look, a squirrel!

WS
Old 14th April 2020, 03:27 PM   #183
KDLarsen
Philosopher

Sounds like trump is a greatest hits today. So far he's attacked the WHO, Govenor Cuomo, and President Obama.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 03:29 PM   #184
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Sounds like trump is a greatest hits today. So far he's attacked the WHO, Govenor Cuomo, and President Obama.
Look, more squirrels!

WS
Old 14th April 2020, 03:36 PM   #185
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

And he's claiming victory that tens of thousands of us have died so far......
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 03:39 PM   #186
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Officially, about 6,000 Americans died from covid-19 today and he's claiming victory......
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 03:47 PM   #187
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

"Is there some way I can increase the probability that, if I lose the election, the next president will have to deal with a viral pandemic? Defunding WHO will help? Do that!"
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 03:49 PM   #188
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

What would be amazing: If one of our Trump-hating billionaires stepped up and covered this year's US WHO funding. Perhaps accompanied by the statement, "If things go well, I won't have to do this again next year because we'll have a new president."
Old 14th April 2020, 03:49 PM   #189
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What the hell kind a ******* **** stain cuts funding for the WHO during a global pandemic? He really is just stupid. And now all the vile lick spittles and the Trumptrash scum are going fawn all over the **** like he took some bold action. Those few of its supporters with near human intelligence know just how stupid this is and they'll still say it was a great move.

I am amused by how the bastard put his tail between his legs while abdicating all responsibility for reopening the economy. NBC reported today that he's having a hard time getting CEOs and other executives to join his "task force". Most of them got to their positions by knowing how to avoid a complete **** show.
Old 14th April 2020, 03:52 PM   #190
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I am amused by how the bastard put his tail between his legs while abdicating all responsibility for reopening the economy. NBC reported today that he's having a hard time getting CEOs and other executives to join his "task force". Most of them got to their positions by knowing how to avoid a complete **** show.
Even the CEOs who might complain about how long the economy remains closed are likely to be smart enough to not want to make that decision, especially prematurely as is certainly going to be Trump's the task force's recommendation.
Old 14th April 2020, 03:54 PM   #191
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What the hell kind a ******* **** stain cuts funding for the WHO during a global pandemic? He really is just stupid. And now all the vile lick spittles and the Trumptrash scum are going fawn all over the **** like he took some bold action. Those few of its supporters with near human intelligence know just how stupid this is and they'll still say it was a great move.

If Steve Wynn won't do it, then there is a serious problem.

We've got a great brain trust lined up. Scott Baiao, Kirstie Alley, Hulk Hogan...
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 03:59 PM   #192
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I got that completely wrong.
Which is understandable considering Trump's blatant nepotism.
Old 14th April 2020, 04:14 PM   #193
Lurch
Master Poster

Trump Tweets

My Administration is committed to protecting the Homeland from the scourge of narco-terrorists and traffickers seeking to destabilize the United States and our Hemisphere. Our military deployments in the Caribbean & Eastern Pacific will endure until these threats are neutralized!
Cheeto Benito is doing far more to destabilize the US than probably the entire collection of external terrorists.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 04:20 PM   #194
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So Trump says he's granting authority to the governors as to when they open up their state. LOL! He has no power to 'grant authority' over this but it's amusing how he's trying to spin the fact that he was just plain wrong. Remember yesterday when he said he'd have a list of the legal reasons he has "total control" over the governors? He just can't admit he was wrong. Lying putz.
Old 14th April 2020, 05:06 PM   #195
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Cheeto Benito is doing far more to destabilize the US than probably the entire collection of external terrorists.
I think once Trump is out of office for a while the stories are going to start coming out about how bad he really was. And I don't mean Rachel Maddow-style hit pieces, I mean good solid reporting. What we're seeing now is the tip of the iceberg. I'm convinced of it.

Once Trump is gone we're going to start finding out about all the damage he has done. Programs that were allowed to whither through neglect. Millions wasted because Donnie Boy couldn't be bothered with oversight. All the mistakes that were made. The mini-disasters. The fact is, far from being a 'fake' news media, because Trump IS the president, I'd bet there's all kinds of stuff the media is keeping the lid on because it would be just too damaging to the U.S. In fact, I'd bet there's tons of dirt Pelosi and Schiff have on the whackjob in the White House but they keep it quiet because they're ethical people. They pick their spots. It's corny but it's probably true: they love their country more than they despise Trump.

A precedent is Richard Nixon in 1974. The media never reported he was roaming the White House halls at night, three sheets to the wind, talking to the presidential portraits on the wall. And much worse. Back then the news media was reviled by Nixon the same way Trump attacks them today.

I just hope this insanity ends this November.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 05:19 PM   #196
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

The White House
@WhiteHouse
President @realDonaldTrump is halting funding of the World Health Organization while a review is conducted to assess WHO's role in mismanaging the Coronavirus outbreak.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 05:24 PM   #197
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I just hope this insanity ends this November.

It won't. Even if he loses the election, we're stuck with him until January.

And I'm betting that those months are going to make us nostalgic for the relative calm of March and April.
Old 14th April 2020, 05:25 PM   #198
slyjoe
Illuminator

What would be amazing: If one of our Trump-hating billionaires stepped up and covered this year's US WHO funding. Perhaps accompanied by the statement, "If things go well, I won't have to do this again next year because we'll have a new president."
The US funds about $400 million of a $6 billion budget. He's cutting the funding so he has someone to blame - WHO was late in identifying a pandemic, so we are cutting their funding (very strongly).
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 05:27 PM   #199
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
In fact, I'd bet there's tons of dirt Pelosi and Schiff have on the whackjob in the White House but they keep it quiet because they're ethical people.
I'm pretty certain GOP lawmakers also have very damaging stuff on Trump but they keep it quiet because they still hope to ride his coattails to victory.

The RNCC called my mom's house with a question about whether the coronavirus coverage has been fair and accurate. The significance may be that this organization is tasked with getting/keeping Republicans in the House. Do they embrace Trump's "fake news" refrain or try to put some distance between their candidacy and Trump's coronavirus response?

I have plenty of criticism for CNN etc. but seriously, there's absolutely no doubt over who is more credible. I might critique how much "mainstream media" coverage seems aimed at getting people to click on "Trump controversy" stories, but it's far simpler to believe he really is that bad (and worse) than to posit that every single organization is following a "criticize Trump" business plan.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 05:28 PM   #200
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

The White House
@WhiteHouse
President @realDonaldTrump is halting funding of the World Health Organization while a review is conducted to assess WHO's role in mismanaging the Coronavirus outbreak.
Maybe we should halt funding Trump's visits to Mar a Lago and his golf outings until a review is conducted to assess his role in mismanaging the Coronavirus outbreak.

Oh, wait... The NY Times just did that.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics