IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 14th April 2020, 05:30 PM   #201
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
So Trump says he's granting authority to the governors as to when they open up their state.
I don't understand why. But I'll grant you the authority to continue posting in the forum.....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 05:33 PM   #202
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump: States needed ventilators but weren't doing anything.
Reality: Colorado ordered 500, Feds seized them, then sent 100 and credited R senator.
Old 14th April 2020, 05:39 PM   #203
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Reality: Colorado ordered 500, Feds seized them, then sent 100 and credited R senator.
Exact same thing in Arizona.

Quote:
The state of Arizona, led by Republican Gov. Doug Ducey and Health Services Department Director Dr. Cara Christ, initially asked the federal government for 5,000 ventilators. That ask was approved by federal officials. But Arizona’s request was dramatically downsized to just 500 ventilators last week as it became clear that the federal government didn’t actually have the resources to follow through on its original agreement. By ultimately sending 100, the feds are fulfilling just 2 percent of what they initially agreed to send and only 20 percent of the request the state made just last week.
Martha McSally crowed about this - so this seems to be the WH game plan for endangered senators.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/13/212189...rs-coronavirus
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 05:46 PM   #204
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I don't understand why. But I'll grant you the authority to continue posting in the forum.....
Thank you! I'm granting you the authority to grant me authority to continue posting in the forum!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 05:50 PM   #205
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

And if anyone dies in Colorado because of a lack of ventilators.... it'll be the WHO's fault.

... and the do-nothing-Dems fault (cuz they exist)

... and Obama's fault (cuz he exists)

... and Hillary's fault (cuz she exists)

... and Cuomo's fault (uh... oh hell, just because)
Old 14th April 2020, 05:57 PM   #206
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

So Trump says he's granting authority to the governors as to when they open up their state. LOL! He has no power to 'grant authority' over this but it's amusing how he's trying to spin the fact that he was just plain wrong. Remember yesterday when he said he'd have a list of the legal reasons he has "total control" over the governors? He just can't admit he was wrong. Lying putz.
It's almost amusing what a putz he is. Trump HAD NOTHING to do with them shutting down and now after they announce plans to begin to reopen Trump says they can.

What a putz.
Old 14th April 2020, 05:58 PM   #207
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I am seriously regretting not looking more seriously into moving to Canada four years ago and building a house in the USA instead.
Old 14th April 2020, 06:22 PM   #208
Cain
Straussian

WaPo headline: "Coming to your $1,200 relief check: Donald J. Trump’s name"

Quote:
The Treasury Department has ordered President Trump’s name be printed on stimulus checks the Internal Revenue Service is rushing to send to tens of millions of Americans, a process that is expected to slow their delivery by several days, senior agency officials said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2b7_story.html

NPD.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 06:24 PM   #209
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post

NPD.
If it came out of his personal pockets, no problem. But it doesn't. His narcissism knows no boundries.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 06:26 PM   #210
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He probably got wind of the inane "Oh so you triggered liberals are too good to cash a check from Trump" arguments/bear pokings I've seen various versions of floating around social media.
Old 14th April 2020, 06:26 PM   #211
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Looks like Trump found his scapegoat for the corona virus.

USA withdraws monetary support to WHO.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 06:29 PM   #212
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I can't wait for the "Endorsing this check counts as a legally binding vote for Donald J. Trump for the office of President in 2020" fine print on the checks to come next.
Old 14th April 2020, 06:59 PM   #213
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I can't wait for the "Endorsing this check counts as a legally binding vote for Donald J. Trump for the office of President in 2020" fine print on the checks to come next.
Hell, for months now I've been expecting news that all those "text TRUMP to xXxX" screeds carry a hidden automatic $5 hit to your PayPal.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 07:01 PM   #214
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It's almost amusing what a putz he is. Trump HAD NOTHING to do with them shutting down and now after they announce plans to begin to reopen Trump says they can.

What a putz.

The power of Trump compels you!
Old 14th April 2020, 07:29 PM   #215
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Well, he is God's gift to the world!
Old 14th April 2020, 07:34 PM   #216
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The Treasury Department has ordered President Trump’s name be printed on stimulus checks the Internal Revenue Service is rushing to send to tens of millions of Americans, a process that is expected to slow their delivery by several days, senior agency officials said.
Standard behavior for all preening dictators. Slow the delivery "by several days" so his name can be added to the check? What, no 'Vote for Me - KAG 2020,' slogan stamped on the checks too? Or was that rejected as being a little bit too much?

What a piece of garbage Trump is.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 07:48 PM   #217
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Looks like Trump found his scapegoat for the corona virus.

USA withdraws monetary support to WHO.
Thew USA will not have a friend left in the world when Donnie is through. Not even Russia.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 07:49 PM   #218
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am seriously regretting not looking more seriously into moving to Canada four years ago and building a house in the USA instead.
Some of us don't have that option. and will have fo fight it wout here..perhaps literraly.
And if Trump does wreck the USA, the suction will probably drag Canada down with it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 08:07 PM   #219
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

So who got their corona money already? Mine's showing as "pending" for tomorrow as a direct deposit. It just says "IRS" something something, no mention of Trump.
Old 14th April 2020, 08:16 PM   #220
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Well, he is God's gift to the world!
You don’t know the president very well.

Trump thinks he is Trump’s gift to the world.
Old 14th April 2020, 08:18 PM   #221
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
So who got their corona money already? Mine's showing as "pending" for tomorrow as a direct deposit. It just says "IRS" something something, no mention of Trump.
Are you going to spend it all on glitter, or just most of it?

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 08:27 PM   #222
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It won't. Even if he loses the election, we're stuck with him until January.

And I'm betting that those months are going to make us nostalgic for the relative calm of March and April.
He'll tease that he's going to nullify the election results (even though the president plays no role in certifying the election). In the end, I figure he'll spend the the time in Florida. I'm sure he won't show up for the inauguration.
Old 14th April 2020, 08:38 PM   #223
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He'll tease that he's going to nullify the election results (even though the president plays no role in certifying the election). In the end, I figure he'll spend the the time in Florida. I'm sure he won't show up for the inauguration.
He's already started trying to nullify the election, and can count on support from at least 4/5 of the Supreme Court.
You are right about not showing up for the inauguration. Unless it's his second one, which will be the biggest of all time.
Old 14th April 2020, 09:02 PM   #224
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The Trumps look out for themselves.
Quote:
As the dust settles on the $2.2 trillion legislation, it has become clear that one of its largest provisions, a $170 billion tax giveaway, appears to be tailor-made for the benefit of wealthy real estate investors such as President Trump and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, who is running one of Trump’s coronavirus task forces.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...emic-windfall/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 10:26 PM   #225
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

NPD.
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
What people need to use is an official Donald J. Trump endorsed Sharpie to black out his name before cashing it.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 10:48 PM   #226
Carnivore
Salad Dodger

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Trump just announced he is suspending WHO funding.
Is it too early/unfair for the world to start calling Covid 19 the Trump virus? It's starting to seem like he is it's champion, doing all he can to promote it's spread around the world.
Old 14th April 2020, 10:49 PM   #227
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
Is it too early/unfair for the world to start calling Covid 19 the Trump virus? It's starting to seem like he is it's champion, doing all he can to promote it's spread around the world.
He was already a nasty, mindless virus long before COVID-19.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 10:59 PM   #228
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What people need to use is an official Donald J. Trump endorsed Sharpie to black out his name before cashing it.
How long until we can get a reporter to ask “is the Treasury Department keeping track of how many cashed checks have the president’s name crossed off?”
Old 14th April 2020, 11:01 PM   #229
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Any bets on when, in one of these weird pressers he gives, he unleashes a word 'bomb'? The S-bomb, F-bomb ... worse? He's behaving like a kid on the autistic spectrum that has few inhibitions, and it's almost as if he's unaware millions of people are tuned in.
Meh, I don’t care about profanity.
I’m waiting until he orders his USSS detail to escort a reporter out of the building.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:08 PM   #230
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Only the paper checks will have his name on them.

What gets me is that the people who will get the paper checks are those most in need of the money ASAP. A lot of these are people who didn't file their tax returns electronically because they didn't make enough to file taxes. They will receive the money later than those who did and now it will be delayed even longer. All for Trump's ego. POTUS: Piece of Totally Useless S***.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:48 PM   #231
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Thew USA will not have a friend left in the world when Donnie is through. Not even Russia.
No worries. They already don't.
Hans
Old 15th April 2020, 12:45 AM   #232
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
No worries. They already don't.
Hans
Haha! I was going to say just that.

Modi - another useless, racist pig, is about Donny's only pal, and I suspect Modi's playing him like a fiddle anyway.
Old 15th April 2020, 03:21 AM   #233
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I rather suspect that will be temporary. Once Trump is replaced, either with Biden next January or someone else in 2024, likely most of the countries that aren't enamored with the current administration will breathe a huge sight of relief and relations will return to their pre-Trump normal over the course of the next year.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 03:42 AM   #234
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I'm not so sure, not now the world knows a treaty signed by one President can just be torn up by a later one.
Old 15th April 2020, 03:59 AM   #235
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm not so sure, not now the world knows a treaty signed by one President can just be torn up by a later one.
It's certainly something everyone needs to consider when doing business with the US. Previously, a new administration could be counted on to uphold the committments made by a previous one. No more.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 04:07 AM   #236
Tero
Illuminator

Trump gives 25 billion to airline industry, cancels pitiful 400 million we give each year to WHO.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 04:16 AM   #237
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Trump gives 25 billion to airline industry, cancels pitiful 400 million we give each year to WHO.
Presumably, he doesn't think the airline industry has been mean to him.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 04:23 AM   #238
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I rather suspect that will be temporary. Once Trump is replaced, either with Biden next January or someone else in 2024, likely most of the countries that aren't enamored with the current administration will breathe a huge sight of relief and relations will return to their pre-Trump normal over the course of the next year.
Oh a lot of people will cry when Trump is gone. Most from relief. However, as other posters note, we now know that we can't trust the US. Trump may have a sensible successor, but his voters are still there. Another Trump can come.

For a long time to come, decades, nations and businesses all over the world will be vare wary when making deals with the US. It will not be enough to have someone else in the WH. The US needs to replace their election system with something that allows less room for populists to take over. - It's not hard, such systems are out there, well-tested and established.

Hans
Old 15th April 2020, 04:35 AM   #239
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

What a putz.

He's adopted my system for training cats. You can have a cat that obeys every order. The key is to order them to do what you know they're about to do anyways.

"Jump up on the counter! Good Cat! Now lick you butthole! Good Cat!"
Old 15th April 2020, 05:23 AM   #240
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Only the paper checks will have his name on them.

What gets me is that the people who will get the paper checks are those most in need of the money ASAP. A lot of these are people who didn't file their tax returns electronically because they didn't make enough to file taxes. They will receive the money later than those who did and now it will be delayed even longer. All for Trump's ego. POTUS: Piece of Totally Useless S***.
Have you had to file your taxes already this year to get the money electronically, or just if you have done so in the past?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics