IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 15th April 2020, 05:24 AM   #241
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What people need to use is an official Donald J. Trump endorsed Sharpie to black out his name before cashing it.
I'm expecting we're going to be seeing some memes where the name is creatively obliterated.
Old 15th April 2020, 05:31 AM   #242
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm not so sure, not now the world knows a treaty signed by one President can just be torn up by a later one.
Congress already had power to pass a law, and if that law contradicted a treaty, it automatically nullified that part of the treaty. There is not a requirement a treaty be officially revoked.

What country has a rule that the legislature simply can't ignore a treaty when legislating?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 05:53 AM   #243
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Only the paper checks will have his name on them.

What gets me is that the people who will get the paper checks are those most in need of the money ASAP.
My first instinct was to think someone should seek a restraining order preventing the checks from having Trump’s name on them. Grounds would be that it would be a de facto campaign contribution, giving the false impression that it was somehow Trump “gifting” the money to his “subjects”. But of course he would paint it as evil Democrats delaying needed funds to the poor. So, a “Catch 22”.

Or maybe actually illegal, to wit:

Misuse of Position
An employee may not use his public office for his own private gain or for that of persons or organizations with which he is associated personally. An employee's position or title should not be used to coerce; to endorse any product, service or enterprise; or to give the appearance of governmental sanction. An employee may use his official title and stationery only in response to a request for a reference or recommendation for someone he has dealt with in Federal employment or someone he is recommending for Federal employment.

5 C.F.R. § 2635.702 (see Subpart G - Misuse of Position; Use of Public Office for Private Gain)

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 15th April 2020 at 06:04 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:07 AM   #244
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Congress already had power to pass a law, and if that law contradicted a treaty, it automatically nullified that part of the treaty. There is not a requirement a treaty be officially revoked.

What country has a rule that the legislature simply can't ignore a treaty when legislating?
All of Europe (including Russia and Turkey)! EU treaty law limits national legislation. European human rights treaty limits national legislation.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:11 AM   #245
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Art of an Oil Deal
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:16 AM   #246
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
All of Europe (including Russia and Turkey)! EU treaty law limits national legislation. European human rights treaty limits national legislation.
It seems if we factor in the states we have an analogy closer to federal-state.

But how does it work in Russia?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:21 AM   #247
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Art of an Oil Deal
The Fart of the Veal

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:26 AM   #248
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Have you had to file your taxes already this year to get the money electronically, or just if you have done so in the past?
My stimulus money was deposited this morning, and I had not filed my taxes for this year* yet.

*edited to add: 2019

Last edited by wareyin; 15th April 2020 at 06:39 AM.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:27 AM   #249
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
How long until we can get a reporter to ask “is the Treasury Department keeping track of how many cashed checks have the president’s name crossed off?”
My concern is, given Trump's toxic history with U.S. banks, with his name on the check, it may be declined!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:48 AM   #250
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

I'm not so sure, not now the world knows a treaty signed by one President can just be torn up by a later one.
The world already kinda knew that since Dubya unsigned the treaty for the International Criminal Court.
Old 15th April 2020, 06:49 AM   #251
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

So Trump says he's granting authority to the governors as to when they open up their state. LOL! He has no power to 'grant authority' over this but it's amusing how he's trying to spin the fact that he was just plain wrong. Remember yesterday when he said he'd have a list of the legal reasons he has "total control" over the governors? He just can't admit he was wrong. Lying putz.
Some reality:
Quote:
New York, New Jersey and Connecticut are among seven states in the region forming committees to determine proper protocols to reopen the economy in the region as the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continues to plague the country. The governors from the tristate area joined their counterparts from Pennsylvania, Delaware and Rhode Island in announcing during a conference call on Monday, April 13 that they are forming committees to share information and advice as they look to slowly begin reopening some parts of their economies.

[New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said], “We’re going to study the data, the research of other countries, other states, and this committee will give us guidance and the parameter of what we should do moving forward. We’re going to be smart and cooperative and learn from one another. We’re better together, and that’s inarguable.” Link
Trump? We don't need no stinkin' Trump!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 07:28 AM   #252
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It's certainly something everyone needs to consider when doing business with the US. Previously, a new administration could be counted on to uphold the committments made by a previous one. No more.
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Oh a lot of people will cry when Trump is gone. Most from relief. However, as other posters note, we now know that we can't trust the US. Trump may have a sensible successor, but his voters are still there. Another Trump can come.

For a long time to come, decades, nations and businesses all over the world will be vare wary when making deals with the US. It will not be enough to have someone else in the WH. The US needs to replace their election system with something that allows less room for populists to take over. - It's not hard, such systems are out there, well-tested and established.

Hans
Excellent points. It appears I'm too much of an optimist.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:35 AM   #253
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
My concern is, given Trump's toxic history with U.S. banks, with his name on the check, it may be declined!
The good news is that his name is only in the MEMO portion of the check.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:55 AM   #254
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Standard behavior for all preening dictators. Slow the delivery "by several days" so his name can be added to the check? What, no 'Vote for Me - KAG 2020,' slogan stamped on the checks too? Or was that rejected as being a little bit too much?

What a piece of garbage Trump is.
"Piece?"
Old 15th April 2020, 09:00 AM   #255
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Standard behavior for all preening dictators. Slow the delivery "by several days" so his name can be added to the check? What, no 'Vote for Me - KAG 2020,' slogan stamped on the checks too? Or was that rejected as being a little bit too much?

What a piece of garbage Trump is.
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
"Piece?"
"Garbage"?

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 09:05 AM   #256
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
He's adopted my system for training cats. You can have a cat that obeys every order. The key is to order them to do what you know they're about to do anyways.

"Jump up on the counter! Good Cat! Now lick you butthole! Good Cat!"
"Jump up on the counter! Good Trump! Now lick your butthole! Good Trump!"

I like it.
Old 15th April 2020, 09:25 AM   #257
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post

It doesn't.
Old 15th April 2020, 09:34 AM   #258
Armitage72
Philosopher

Some reality:

Trump? We don't need no stinkin' Trump!

Yesterday a coworker started ranting at the end of a conference call (working remotely).

"The Governors had no problem coming to Trump with their hand out, begging for masks and respirators. Now they're saying they don't need to listen to him about when to reopen. I have news for them. The Constitution says he absolutely does have the power to make them reopen."

(Click) Back to work and let the other person still on the call listen to him.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 10:54 AM   #259
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Our GREAT Senator from South Carolina, @SenatorTimScott just released a fantastic new book, “OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS: How Hard Work, Community, and Business Can Improve Lives and End Poverty.” Get your copy today!

My condolences to the Steinbrenner family, and the entire @Yankees Organization, on the passing of Hank Steinbrenner. He was a friend and will be missed greatly by all!

ThanksForDelivering @UPS!
Quote Tweet

UPS
@UPS
Want to send your thanks to every UPS employee out there keeping the world going? They would love it. Post it with #ThanksForDelivering
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 10:59 AM   #260
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Yesterday a coworker started ranting at the end of a conference call (working remotely).

"The Governors had no problem coming to Trump with their hand out, begging for masks and respirators. Now they're saying they don't need to listen to him about when to reopen. I have news for them. The Constitution says he absolutely does have the power to make them reopen."
If you hear from him again, ask him where the Constitution supports his claim. He'll be looking for a long time.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 11:05 AM   #261
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

(Click) Back to work and let the other person still on the call listen to him.
But Trump, in his infinite generosity, just kindly gave them the right to choose when to reopen? Was the trumpbot missing a system update? They're usually pretty well in sync with what the Führer is saying (and tweeting)?
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 11:10 AM   #262
Joe Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Have you had to file your taxes already this year to get the money electronically, or just if you have done so in the past?
On one level it's not how you filed, but how you had a refund returned to you. I just today mailed in my 2019 return. I also today received that $1,200 as a direct deposit, because for 2018 I mailed in a paper form but had my whopping $5.00 refund done as a direct deposit to that same account.

I'm sure there are other permutations, but regardless of how you filed and if you have or haven't filed 2019 yet, if you received a refund from 2018 as a direct deposit you'll get the $1,200 DD'd to that same account.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 11:34 AM   #263
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
On one level it's not how you filed, but how you had a refund returned to you. I just today mailed in my 2019 return. I also today received that $1,200 as a direct deposit, because for 2018 I mailed in a paper form but had my whopping $5.00 refund done as a direct deposit to that same account.

I'm sure there are other permutations, but regardless of how you filed and if you have or haven't filed 2019 yet, if you received a refund from 2018 as a direct deposit you'll get the $1,200 DD'd to that same account.

IRS has an information page.
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus-tax-...mpact-payments
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 11:54 AM   #264
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

And if you owed or didn't do a direct deposit, you can click on "check payment status" to provide your dd info.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 12:02 PM   #265
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Haha! I was going to say just that.

Modi - another useless, racist pig, is about Donny's only pal, and I suspect Modi's playing him like a fiddle anyway.
Modi took lessons from Kim Jong Un: flatter him, tell him how great/smart/correct he is and you can get anything you want from him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 12:09 PM   #266
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Modi took lessons from Kim Jong Un: flatter him, tell him how great/smart/correct he is and you can get anything you want from him.
Speaking of Tubby Kim, he sent another rocket into the sea yesterday.
Old 15th April 2020, 12:10 PM   #267
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
"Jump up on the counter! Good Trump! Now lick your butthole! Good Trump!"

I like it.
Nah. Trump has people who do that for him already: Graham, Meadows, Barr, etc.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 12:11 PM   #268
Planigale
Philosopher

https://echr.coe.int/Documents/CP_Russia_ENG.pdf
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 12:12 PM   #269
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
If you hear from him again, ask him where the Constitution supports his claim. He'll be looking for a long time.
When he can't find it, he'll just claim the Libtards had it removed under orders from Obama's administration.
Old 15th April 2020, 12:16 PM   #270
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

We filed electronically and received our auto deposit today.
Old 15th April 2020, 01:06 PM   #271
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking of Tubby Kim, he sent another rocket into the sea yesterday.
When does Fire and Fury (TM) start?
Old 15th April 2020, 01:49 PM   #272
slyjoe
Illuminator

Same here.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 02:26 PM   #273
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
When does Fire and Fury (TM) start?
Can't someone tell him that we're busy and he needs to play by himself for a while?
Old 15th April 2020, 02:38 PM   #274
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Can't someone tell him that we're busy and he needs to play by himself for a while?
And have him toss a tantrum when he isn't getting attention?
Old 15th April 2020, 03:02 PM   #275
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We got our tax refund today but no stimulus yet.
Old 15th April 2020, 03:09 PM   #276
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
We got our tax refund today but no stimulus yet.
My sister mailed in her tax returns via registered letter back in mid February. She received notification they'd been received but still hasn't gotten her refund.
We sent ours in electronically and had both state and federal refunds deposited within 10 days.
Old 15th April 2020, 03:09 PM   #277
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Nah. Trump has people who do that for him already: Graham, Meadows, Barr, etc.
The one I don't understand at all is Kellyanne Conway. Her husband seems like a reasonable type and I can't figure out how he can bear to kiss her when she's licking his butt every day.

Strangest marriage ever. I certainly couldn't do it.
Old 15th April 2020, 03:20 PM   #278
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
WaPo headline: "Coming to your $1,200 relief check: Donald J. Trump’s name"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2b7_story.html

NPD.
We have vanity license plates, vanity publishers, and now we have vanity stimulus checks!
Old 15th April 2020, 03:36 PM   #279
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The one I don't understand at all is Kellyanne Conway. Her husband seems like a reasonable type and I can't figure out how he can bear to kiss her when she's licking his butt every day.

Frasier on Cheers "She's a behaviorist and I'm strictly Freudian. But it does lead to some wild times in the boudoir, I don't have to tell you"
Norm: "I wish you hadn't."
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 04:52 PM   #280
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"His" meaning George, or Trump? Makes a difference!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics