IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 15th April 2020, 05:22 PM   #281
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
"His" meaning George, or Trump? Makes a difference!
Trump's arse, of course.
Old 15th April 2020, 05:46 PM   #282
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
There was a lot of misinformation about the virus coming from China and the WHO Trump.
Edited for the sake of correctness.

Our economy will bounce back as Globalism has finally been revealed for what it is, a shortage of vital interests.
I have no idea what you're saying with this sentence. Please restate in clearer terms.

I expect to see many major startups and many products that were made elsewhere before will be made in the USA again after all is said and done.
Why? The economics of cheap foreign labor will not change because of the pandemic. Trends in robotics and AI will play a larger role in manufacturing and, increasingly, in services than any transient pandemic effects.

How will you know when "all is said and done". Covid-19 infections and deaths are now a fact of life and are likely to remain so for a long time.

Last edited by SezMe; 15th April 2020 at 05:48 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 05:53 PM   #283
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

It’s being reported Trump is weighing the option of suspending Congress under some sort of emergency authority.

Hate to know how to process that. Game show host just thriving on controversy or something he’s really considering.

Edited to add: Rachel Maddow’s chyron now showing 32,000 US deaths.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 15th April 2020 at 05:57 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 05:55 PM   #284
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Now I'll have horrible nightmares all night long. Thanks.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 05:58 PM   #285
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
It’s being reported Trump is weighing the option of suspending Congress under some sort of emergency authority.

Hate to know how to process that. Game show host just thriving on controversy or something he’s really considering.
It's being reported by whom?

IF true, I don't think even Trump could get away with suspending Congress.
But, I do hope he tries. It would be rather enjoyable watching the GOP Congress turn on Dear Leader.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 05:58 PM   #286
dmaker
Graduate Poster

It occurred to me today while watching the daily press thingy that an interesting comparison would be how many times has Trump said something comforting about the number of deaths and suffering Americans vs how many times he has either boasted about his travel ban or complained about an inherited broken system.

I would bet that one would be a single digit while the other would easily be triple digits.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:05 PM   #287
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Sounds legit.

Total authority clearly means he can do anything.

Please let that be true - the LULZ on that would be worth the price of admission.
Old 15th April 2020, 06:09 PM   #288
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Apparently the NY Times. Pushed to me via AppleNews.

Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:29 PM   #289
DallasDad
Graduate Poster

But, I do hope he tries. It would be rather enjoyable watching the GOP Congress turn on Dear Leader.
Trump himself, at today's briefing; multiple media commentaries about it, too.

A never-used Article I power allows the President to adjourn Congress if the two houses cannot agree on an adjournment date or a resumption date after adjournment. A similar power allows him to convene emergency sessions if Congress happens to be be adjourned during a national emergency.

The problem with the power to force an adjournment is that Congress (both houses) are technically still in session (not recessed), gavelling in and out with the bare minimum of personnel to meet the requirements, and they don't disagree about adjournment/resumption dates. Congress would have to recess without adjournment for Trump to invoke this extraordinary step.

Trump also made clear his reason for threatening to do this: He wants to make recess appointments, which can only happen when Congress is recessed or adjourned for 10 or more days and the appointment is considered necessary.

McConnell has been ensuring that the Senate is not in recess by having pro-forma gavelling in/out every couple of days.

Of note, the question of recess appointments during times when the Senate is only holding pro-forma sessions has already been to SCOTUS and resoundingly rejected. Obama or Bush 43 (don't recall) tried the recess appointment trick when the Senate was holding only pro-forma sessions specifically to prevent being in recess. SCOTUS said the Senate has the sole power to decide how to manage its affairs, and whether the conduct is a pretext or honest is not up to the courts to hear, let alone decide.

At best, this is an attempt at a legal strategy that's already been ruled against by SCOTUS. Even if Trump tried it, McConnell (who is jealous of the Senate's prerogatives, if not sensible about anything else) could simply call the Senate back into session before Trump could make any appointments.

It's grandstanding, nothing more.
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:29 PM   #290
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
So, the “re-open” committee is going to have such metric-savvy people as Ivanka.

A committee full of people who are going to give their proxy vote to President Trump.

Quelle surprise
I did a quick look around to see the composition of this committee but couldn't find anything. Got a link?
Old 15th April 2020, 06:32 PM   #291
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post

A never-used Article I power allows the President to adjourn Congress if the two houses cannot agree on an adjournment date or a resumption date after adjournment. A similar power allows him to convene emergency sessions if Congress happens to be be adjourned during a national emergency.

The problem with the power to force an adjournment is that Congress (both houses) are technically still in session (not recessed), gavelling in and out with the bare minimum of personnel to meet the requirements, and they don't disagree about adjournment/resumption dates. Congress would have to recess without adjournment for Trump to invoke this extraordinary step.

Trump also made clear his reason for threatening to do this: He wants to make recess appointments, which can only happen when Congress is recessed or adjourned for 10 or more days and the appointment is considered necessary.

McConnell has been ensuring that the Senate is not in recess by having pro-forma gavelling in/out every couple of days.

Of note, the question of recess appointments during times when the Senate is only holding pro-forma sessions has already been to SCOTUS and resoundingly rejected. Obama or Bush 43 (don't recall) tried the recess appointment trick when the Senate was holding only pro-forma sessions specifically to prevent being in recess. SCOTUS said the Senate has the sole power to decide how to manage its affairs, and whether the conduct is a pretext or honest is not up to the courts to hear, let alone decide.

At best, this is an attempt at a legal strategy that's already been ruled against by SCOTUS. Even if Trump tried it, McConnell (who is jealous of the Senate's prerogatives, if not sensible about anything else) could simply call the Senate back into session before Trump could make any appointments.

Why does McConnell want to have pro forms sessions?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:51 PM   #292
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

The White House
@WhiteHouse
President @realDonaldTrump is halting funding of the World Health Organization while a review is conducted to assess WHO's role in mismanaging the Coronavirus outbreak.
Perfect. The people who mismanaged the Coronavirus in the USA are going to review the people who mismanaged the Coronavirus around the world. What could go wrong?
Old 15th April 2020, 06:52 PM   #293
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It won't. Even if he loses the election, we're stuck with him until January.

And I'm betting that those months are going to make us nostalgic for the relative calm of March and April.
Yep. Those few months promise to be ball-busters.
Old 15th April 2020, 06:55 PM   #294
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I did a quick look around to see the composition of this committee but couldn't find anything. Got a link?
See my post #171 page 5. The link is there.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 06:59 PM   #295
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
So who got their corona money already? Mine's showing as "pending" for tomorrow as a direct deposit. It just says "IRS" something something, no mention of Trump.
Don't have mine yet. If the processing goes alphabetically, my last name (IRL) begins with an "S" so it might be a week or so.
Old 15th April 2020, 07:00 PM   #296
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Don't have mine yet. If the processing goes alphabetically, my last name (IRL) begins with an "S" so it might be a week or so.
Mine also begins with "S" and I got mine already.
Old 15th April 2020, 07:05 PM   #297
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I looked at the IRS website and it said ours was expected today. I didn't check the bank to see if it showed up.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 07:11 PM   #298
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post

Yep. But he can't do it because:

Quote:
A McConnell spokesman said Trump and McConnell spoke about the issue on Wednesday: "The Leader pledged to find ways to confirm nominees considered mission-critical to the Covid-19 pandemic, but under Senate rules that will take consent from Leader (Chuck) Schumer."
That last point is an important one. McConnell, who is careful with his words, appears to be saying any solution to the confirmation issue will require Democratic consent.
Link
Old 15th April 2020, 07:11 PM   #299
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
On one level it's not how you filed, but how you had a refund returned to you. I just today mailed in my 2019 return. I also today received that $1,200 as a direct deposit, because for 2018 I mailed in a paper form but had my whopping $5.00 refund done as a direct deposit to that same account.

I'm sure there are other permutations, but regardless of how you filed and if you have or haven't filed 2019 yet, if you received a refund from 2018 as a direct deposit you'll get the $1,200 DD'd to that same account.
I think Social Security recipients who do direct deposit will automatically get their payment in the same manner.
Old 15th April 2020, 07:19 PM   #300
Meadmaker

When I tried to sign on to see the status of my stimulus payment, I got a message saying they can't determine my eligibility for a refund.

Well ain't that peachy? I filed taxes in 2018 and 2019, although I didn't get a refund either year. I was expecting to have to get to the site and enter my bank information for direct deposit, but I didn't get that far.

I put in my social security number, address, and zip code, and it said they couldn't determine anything.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 07:20 PM   #301
SezMe
post-pre-born

Mine also begins with "S" and I got mine already.
Must be some other ordering of the direct deposits then. I'm on the coast of the west coast so maybe its sweeping east to west. The poor folks in Hawaii.
Old 15th April 2020, 07:22 PM   #302
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I confessed to be absolutely 100% wrong about this on a previous page.

I have no problem admitting my error on this page also.
Old 15th April 2020, 07:28 PM   #303
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

They're not. I'm not far from "S" myself. They may be doing it in order of who has the simplest filings. I had nothing but the standard deduction for 2019 so my taxes were as simple as they come. It's based off the AGI for that year so if your tax situation involves anything complicated to calculate your AGI that might be a reason for a delay.
Old 15th April 2020, 07:32 PM   #304
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
When I tried to sign on to see the status of my stimulus payment, I got a message saying they can't determine my eligibility for a refund.

Well ain't that peachy? I filed taxes in 2018 and 2019, although I didn't get a refund either year. I was expecting to have to get to the site and enter my bank information for direct deposit, but I didn't get that far.

I put in my social security number, address, and zip code, and it said they couldn't determine anything.
Exactly our situation.

No refund for either 2018 or 2019, but both my wife and I get Social Security direct deposits to our bank account - in fact those payments hit today. Hopefully we’ll see our stimulus payments in short order, though we’re lucky in that we’re not in dire need of said payments.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 15th April 2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 15th April 2020, 07:34 PM   #305
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Must be some other ordering of the direct deposits then. I'm on the coast of the west coast so maybe its sweeping east to west. The poor folks in Hawaii.
I also live on the West Coast.
Old 15th April 2020, 08:25 PM   #306
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Speaking of Tubby Kim, he sent another rocket into the sea yesterday.
Yup. That got lost in the mess.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:33 PM   #307
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

This may not be the appropriate thread for this, but Canada's response for anyone out of work due to the epidemic is the CERB: Canada Emergency Relief Benefit. It's $2,000/month for up to four months. People have to apply for it and self-declare that they're eligible.

I applied and it was very straightforward. It appears the goal is to get money to the people who apply as quickly as possible, and look for irregularities later. I don't know if the plan is to audit every claim once the emergency is over or to look for patterns that might indicate unsupported claims. As of today over 6 million Canadians have applied. My roommate, who applied for E.I. when he was laid off from his job due to COVID-19, was automatically enrolled in the CERB when it was announced. He received his first payment this week.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:54 PM   #308
Dread Pirate Roberts
Critical Thinker

I also live on the West Coast.
I'm in Vegas and a bunch of people I know here have received them.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 09:25 PM   #309
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Even suspending Congress wouldn't cause that to happen.
Old 15th April 2020, 09:43 PM   #310
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Haven't seen anything yet in my account, though the few gringos living in my area all have it now. Oh, well. Left behind...again.
Old 16th April 2020, 12:17 AM   #311
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Speaking of Tubby Kim, he sent another rocket into the sea yesterday.
He is suffering hugely from the amount attention he is missing out on. The only thing he could do to get it back would be to fire a nuke.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 05:16 AM   #312
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yup. That got lost in the mess.
I’m of a generation where SOP was local news at 6P, national news at 6:30P. Though I absorb news from multiple sources during the day, I still enjoy the 30 minute summary I get from network news.

That said, for weeks now it’s been virtually nothing but Coronavirus news. That is, of course, important, but could be condensed to no more than 20 minutes or so, leaving time for other stories. Like deadly tornadoes in the south a few days ago not far from us, or Kim Jong Un’s shenanigans, China’s military maneuvering, threats by Trump to adjourn Congress and so on.
Old 16th April 2020, 07:00 AM   #313
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Crazy “Nancy Pelosi, you are a weak person. You are a poor leader. You are the reason America hates career politicians, like yourself.” @seanhannity She is totally incompetent & controlled by the Radical Left, a weak and pathetic puppet. Come back to Washington and do your job!

@OANN Poll “Gives President Trump a 52% Approval Rating in North Carolina, and a seven point lead over (Sleepy) Joe Biden. The President also helps other Republican Candidates, including @SenThomTillis, who has a 4% lead over his Democrat rival.”
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 07:40 AM   #314
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Crazy “Nancy Pelosi, you are a weak person. You are a poor leader. You are the reason America hates career politicians, like yourself.” @seanhannity She is totally incompetent & controlled by the Radical Left, a weak and pathetic puppet. Come back to Washington and do your job!

@OANN Poll “Gives President Trump a 52% Approval Rating in North Carolina, and a seven point lead over (Sleepy) Joe Biden. The President also helps other Republican Candidates, including @SenThomTillis, who has a 4% lead over his Democrat rival.”
Reputable poll taken 4/14-15 shows Biden with a 48/47 edge in North Carolina:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...orth-carolina/

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 07:45 AM   #315
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Exactly our situation.
Same here. I'm hoping that they are prioritizing those who need it more than I do.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 07:46 AM   #316
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Quote:
@OANN Poll . . .
Bwahahhahhahhah.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 07:53 AM   #317
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Same here. I'm hoping that they are prioritizing those who need it more than I do.
I'm not thinking that's likely. I don't think that computer has enough information to determine need.

I would have preferred they did that in the first place, instead of just printing a bunch of money and throwing it out to everyone. i.e. I think "Give everyone money" is a really terrible plan. However, since they did it, I would like to get my hands on the part that has been allocated to me.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 07:56 AM   #318
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Don't let the checks going out distract you. Those checks are a band-aide on a sucking chest wound. It's the failure of getting the unemployment for people who need it started that's the real story.
Old 16th April 2020, 09:48 AM   #319
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Meanwhile, the $349 billion small business loan program is tapped out.

The government's small business loan money is gone. Now what?

Quote:
(CNN)The money is gone.

On Thursday morning, the $349 billion emergency small business lending program officially tapped out. The Small Business Association officially ran out of money for the Paycheck Protection Program, according to a message for lenders posted on the administration's website.

Negotiations on Capitol Hill have yet to generate a path forward to replenish the money, all as the US economy continues to stagger under the pressure of near-nationwide closures.

Bottom line: Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Democrats will reconvene Thursday to try and reach agreement on a package that will immediately increase funding for the program. But they aren't there yet and this is no longer a theoretical exercise. The program had, and continues to have, glitches and difficulties. But it also rolled through $349 billion in less than two weeks. That's how urgent it is for small business owners. That's how desperate, how flat catastrophic, the economic situation is amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Nah, it'll all be fine, Trump has said so!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 10:20 AM   #320
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I’m of a generation where SOP was local news at 6P, national news at 6:30P. Though I absorb news from multiple sources during the day, I still enjoy the 30 minute summary I get from network news.

That said, for weeks now it’s been virtually nothing but Coronavirus news. That is, of course, important, but could be condensed to no more than 20 minutes or so, leaving time for other stories. Like deadly tornadoes in the south a few days ago not far from us, or Kim Jong Un’s shenanigans, China’s military maneuvering, threats by Trump to adjourn Congress and so on.
Ditto.

So many news stories are being lost in the All Covid 19, All the Time coverage.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics