IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 21st May 2020, 01:17 PM   #3201
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
No, it was started by Captain Swoop in this post
Quote:
Quote:
"I happen to be taking it right now, yeah"

Trump claims he's taking hydroxychloroquine, he claims the White House doctor signed off on him taking it.

Jeff Mason of Reuters asked. "What is the evidence that hydroxychloroquine has a preventative impact?"
Trump said "Are you ready? Here's my evidence, I get a lot of positive calls about it, what do you have to lose?"

“I’m taking it on the advice of my exceptional, terrific person, who happened to be also very a regular guy doctor, Dr. Dennison believe me”
Yep. That's where I got it. I think it's understandable why a lot of us believed it was an actual quote. We need to be more careful about posting things that look like quotes when they're not. Remember that Poe's law has never been more true than with Trump.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:18 PM   #3202
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Ugh, the moron just took a plastic face shield he was playing with and tried to hand it to a reporter. Finally, someone actually accepted it.

Idiot.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:20 PM   #3203
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
As an Oregonian, this disgusts me. What's that phrase I'm not supposed to use again? Totally true here.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:31 PM   #3204
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump today:

"I tested very positively in another sense this morning, yeah. I tested positively toward negative, right? I tested perfectly this morning, meaning I tested negative. But that's a way of saying it: positively toward the negative."
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
He just said not wearing a mask sets an example both ways?

WTF does that mean? The nonsense that he says is crazy.
Sadly, it makes perfect sense to his base.
Old 21st May 2020, 01:32 PM   #3205
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
As an Oregonian, this disgusts me. What's that phrase I'm not supposed to use again? Totally true here.
This is another illustration of the need for ranked choice voting. The other candidates together actually won the majority of votes, but they split it three ways.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:42 PM   #3206
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

OK, here's another guess: The President's statements do not just "disappear".

Prove me wrong.
Swoop made a mistake and rather than just point it out, you went all passive aggressive. For what end?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 01:58 PM   #3207
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Swoop made a mistake and rather than just point it out, you went all passive aggressive. For what end?
I wanted to know if Trump had actually said the thing that Swoop said he did.

So I asked him.

He lied to me about it.

I pointed this out.

What's your problem with that?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 02:03 PM   #3208
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
10 open "Twitter" as file #1 for output
i=1
while i>0
print #1, "WE LOVE PRESIDENT TRUMP! HE IS SO GREAT!"
end while

More accurately:

10 откройте «Твиттер» как файл № 1 для вывода
I = 1
пока I> 0
печать № 1, «МЫ ЛЮБИМ ПРЕЗИДЕНТ ТРУМП! ОН ТАК БОЛЬШОЙ!»
конец пока
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 02:26 PM   #3209
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump today:

"I tested very positively in another sense this morning, yeah. I tested positively toward negative, right? I tested perfectly this morning, meaning I tested negative. But that's a way of saying it: positively toward the negative."
Wait, what?!

Someone get this guy some help.
Old 21st May 2020, 02:31 PM   #3210
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

"But that's a way of saying it: positively toward the negative."

No, it isn't.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 02:33 PM   #3211
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Double post.

Last edited by Matthew Best; 21st May 2020 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 21st May 2020, 02:40 PM   #3212
carlitos
"más divertido"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 02:50 PM   #3213
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Orange Menace
Indeed! And the USA has the most positive worst death figures in the world due to COVID-19. So much winning!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 03:01 PM   #3214
eerok
Quixoticist

I'm positive that Trump's presidency has been a huge, stinking negative, so there's that.
Old 21st May 2020, 03:14 PM   #3215
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
The President can delete them, and has done so on several occasions, I believe.
Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
I'm sure you both know this, but twitter is the medium. Anything Trump tweets from his POTUS account is an official statement from the office of the President of the United States.

Official statements from the office of the President of the United States do not just disappear.
Legally, at least. Presidential Records Act, IIRC. That doesn't stop Trump from deleting tweets at will. On inquiry about that previously in relation to potential violations of the PRA, empty assurances that it was all being handled were given.

As a related side note, there's also stories about Trump habitually ripping up and throwing away documents that fall under the PRA and that White House staff was effectively going behind his back to go through the trash and piece those documents back together.

I'm going to rule (with my incredible authority) that there's no need to fight about this. By the evidence at hand, Trump has little to no regard for the PRA, like so much of the rest of the law. That leaves upholding it to staff that's generally repeatedly been combed through by the loyalty police and, when it comes to outlets like twitter, watchdog accounts. How much you want to trust them to catch all of Trump's potentially illegal actions and make them not quite actually breaking the law technically is up to you, of course.

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Wow. He believes news organizations should be helping Republicans get elected....

He's not wrong, though, Fox has been helping Republicans get elected since the beginning. Still, he's saying it out loud when Fox still tries to claim it's "fair and balanced" in a way.
"Fair and balanced" was officially dropped as a slogan years ago, IIRC.
Old 21st May 2020, 03:17 PM   #3216
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

Yes, but they still try to present themselves as a legitimate news organization, which they are not.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 03:19 PM   #3217
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

August 2016 was the last time it was used. I guess even they couldn't handle the hypocrisy of that!
Old 21st May 2020, 03:42 PM   #3218
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
RT if President Trump should withhold federal funds to states that try to STEAL our elections with voter fraud!
What does the RT stand for?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 03:45 PM   #3219
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Re-tweet?
Old 21st May 2020, 03:48 PM   #3220
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Too bad that's not a negative in the eye4s of some Republican voters. The inland areas of Oregon harbor some real loons.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 03:51 PM   #3221
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Too bad that's not a negative in the eye4s of some Republican voters. The inland areas of Oregon harbor some real loons.
As in my state of Washington, the Cascade Range is more than a geographic divide.
Old 21st May 2020, 04:12 PM   #3222
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Looks like no mask today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY-r-_B_lcg

He was just asked about it and again claims he was wearing one in the back area earlier.

A question just lobbed by a reporter:

"Mr. Ford, can you confirm the President was told he didn't have to wear one in this area"

Response" "It's up to him"

Translation: No, but I don't want to annoy the giant orange baby.
I saw a clip where he said he "put one on in the back earlier" rather than "wore" one. I imagine he snapped it on, grinned foolishly underneath it and turned his head from side to side, as if to say "See? I'm wearing one!!", and then immediately took it off. I bet he didn't have it on more than 10 seconds, if he did, just so he could claim he wore one.

All speculation, of course.
Old 21st May 2020, 04:23 PM   #3223
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I will be lowering the flags on all Federal Buildings and National Monuments to half-staff over the next three days in memory of the Americans we have lost to the CoronaVirus....

....On Monday, the flags will be at half-staff in honor of the men and women in our Military who have made the Ultimate Sacrifice for our Nation.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 04:43 PM   #3224
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The more rural it gets in OR the loonier they get. Especially Eastern OR.
Old 21st May 2020, 04:48 PM   #3225
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
RT if President Trump should withhold federal funds to states that try to STEAL our elections with voter fraud!
Mail in voter fraud is easy: we just change hats or clothes when going to the mailbox.

Of course, no state has tried to commit mail-in voter fraud, is doing that, or is planning on doing that.
Old 21st May 2020, 04:56 PM   #3226
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I wanted to know if Trump had actually said the thing that Swoop said he did.

So I asked him.

He lied to me about it.

I pointed this out.

What's your problem with that?
For what it's worth, I think you had a point and Swoop should have said he didn't know the source of that quotation.

But even though Swoop hasn't said that, it's time to let it go. This constant harping on the point is becoming a worse crime than repeating a false quote without apology.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 05:02 PM   #3227
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

"But that's a way of saying it: positively toward the negative."

No, it isn't.

Every ******* day he does something childish.

Every
day!

Old 21st May 2020, 05:22 PM   #3228
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I will be lowering the flags on all Federal Buildings and National Monuments to half-staff over the next three days in memory of the Americans we have lost to the CoronaVirus....

....On Monday, the flags will be at half-staff in honor of the men and women in our Military who have made the Ultimate Sacrifice for our Nation.
This is their new hoax...

It's just one person coming in from China...

I want the churches to be packed on Easter...

Like a miracle it'll all go away....
Old 21st May 2020, 05:33 PM   #3229
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
For what it's worth, I think you had a point and Swoop should have said he didn't know the source of that quotation.

But even though Swoop hasn't said that, it's time to let it go. This constant harping on the point is becoming a worse crime than repeating a false quote without apology.
I think I've made my point and I am quite happy to leave it there. At this point I'm just responding to people who ask me questions about it.
Old 21st May 2020, 05:56 PM   #3230
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Trump Tweets

"...that way, I only have to pay the Flag Guy once for both jobs! #FicallyConservative #GetYourMoneyUpFrontWhenDealingWithTrump"
Old 21st May 2020, 06:07 PM   #3231
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Trump loyalist John Ratcliffe confirmed as new US intelligence chief

*sigh*

Not a surprise, but still pathetic.
Old 21st May 2020, 06:15 PM   #3232
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Did we really expect any other outcome considering the history of the McConnell led Senate? Trump is thoroughly removing any semblance of non-partisanship in our historically apolitical agencies and positions.
Old 21st May 2020, 06:22 PM   #3233
carlitos
"más divertido"

Re-tweet?

Yes but a smart ass like me would say “Russia Today.”
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 06:31 PM   #3234
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Out here on the southern coast too.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 06:35 PM   #3235
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

The more rural it gets in OR the loonier they get. Especially Eastern OR.
Folks hold up Idaho as an example but there's a large contiguous block of Idaho, SE Oregon, NW Nevada and NE California where let's say... having more than a tan can be bad for your health.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 21st May 2020 at 06:40 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 06:39 PM   #3236
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Folks hold up Idaho as an example but there's a block of Idaho, SE Oregon and NE California that let's say... having more than a tan can be bad for your health.
My SIL and her husband just retired to Eagle, Idaho. Lovely and cost of living is much lower but it will be interesting to see what she thinks about the politics after a few months. She's a Dem while her husband is a Repub. but he's not a loony far right winger.
Old 21st May 2020, 06:49 PM   #3237
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

My SIL and her husband just retired to Eagle, Idaho. Lovely and cost of living is much lower but it will be interesting to see what she thinks about the politics after a few months. She's a Dem while her husband is a Repub. but he's not a loony far right winger.
My (very white) niece and nephew were vol crew fighting wildfires out there many years ago, with a few POC vols as well.
Staying in the local motels was as you say... "Interesting".
Nobody did any exploring of the little towns.

(I had to add Nevada to my post above... I'm always forgetting Nevada. )

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 21st May 2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 21st May 2020, 07:06 PM   #3238
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
My (very white) niece and nephew were vol crew fighting wildfires out there many years ago, with a few POC vols as well.
Staying in the local motels was as you say... "Interesting".
Nobody did any exploring of the little towns.

(I had to add Nevada to my post above... I'm always forgetting Nevada. )
A friend from years ago in Calif. moved to Eagle Idaho about 20 years ago. While always conservative he was more a Reagan Repub. Never right wing. After a few years in ID, he turned into absolute nutter. His son's FB page looks like a survivalist whacko page. Trucker with semi-automatic rifles, camouflage, and Trump conspiracy crap all over his page. And he was such a nice little boy.

Mod InfoThread continues here.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 22nd May 2020 at 03:20 AM.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics