IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Closed Thread
Old 14th April 2020, 07:09 AM   #1
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The all-new "US Politics and coronavirus" thread

To get us started:

A month after Trump's Rose Garden speech, the majority of his promises remain unfulfilled
Old 14th April 2020, 09:07 AM   #2
Lithrael
Master Poster

I’m still highly salty about Texas declaring all abortion services non-essential. Nice job with de facto outlawing there.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 09:37 AM   #3
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
I’m still highly salty about Texas declaring all abortion services non-essential. Nice job with de facto outlawing there.
It's a complete distortion of the concept of "essential services." Essential services are those that need to be done now, because they can't wait until later. Grocery stores are good examples, because we need food, and we can't just wait 2 months to get food.

The same is true for abortions. Given the time constraints imposed on abortions, if one is to have an abortion, it needs to be done now, and can't be put off. It's actually a perfect example of what constitutes an essential service.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 09:58 AM   #4
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
It's a complete distortion of the concept of "essential services." Essential services are those that need to be done now, because they can't wait until later. Grocery stores are good examples, because we need food, and we can't just wait 2 months to get food.

The same is true for abortions. Given the time constraints imposed on abortions, if one is to have an abortion, it needs to be done now, and can't be put off. It's actually a perfect example of what constitutes an essential service.
Abortions are not essential, to liken them with the need for food is comical, at least the frivolous ones.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 10:38 AM   #5
Meadmaker

If only they had lived in Florida, instead.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...s-service.html

(Professional wrestling - essential service)
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 10:39 AM   #6
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
From your link:

Quote:
In response to this story, the White House said Monday night that the president had taken "bold and decisive actions" to combat the coronavirus crisis.

"President Trump and this Administration are using the full power of the federal government and working in close partnership with the private sector to respond to the health and economic challenges posed by COVID-19," White House spokesperson Judd Deere said in a statement.
I see Trump and his cronies are still living in the world of "alternative facts" as Kellyanne put it. The WH resorts to "Say it, and they will believe". Sadly, so many Trump supporters do just that. Because, after all, Trump doesn't lie.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
If only they had lived in Florida, instead.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...s-service.html

(Professional wrestling - essential service)
From you link:

Quote:
The governor, often referred to as a “mini-Trump,” is granting this lucrative exemption to the WWE, which is owned by Trump booster Vince McMahon, whose wife, Linda McMahon, served in the Trump Cabinet and runs a Trump 2020 super PAC.
Perhaps I'm just being cynical here, but could this possibly have anything to do with DeSantis' decision? Naaaaahhhhhhh.....
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 10:48 AM   #8
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Abortions are not essential, to liken them with the need for food is comical, at least the frivolous ones.
Wow, that point went flying way over your head....
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 10:49 AM   #9
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Does that remain true if without an abortion both the mother and foetus will die?
Old 14th April 2020, 10:52 AM   #10
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
From you link:

Perhaps I'm just being cynical here, but could this possibly have anything to do with DeSantis' decision? Naaaaahhhhhhh.....
Trump has pretty close ties to professional wrestling, I think via McMahon.

Trump is a member of the WWE Hall of Fame. (For those new here, no I am not making that up.)
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 10:55 AM   #11
Meadmaker

I think this is just so typical for Trump and his response.

He says all the right things, and acts like they are done, but they aren't. He just isn't getting the job done, and he doesn't even seem aware that he isn't. He announced that something good will happen. Yay. Now, about that testing...
Old 14th April 2020, 10:58 AM   #12
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is a member of the WWE Hall of Fame. (For those new here, no I am not making that up.)
Yep...which is exactly my point. That and Linda McMahon runs a Trump Super PAC which I think is the major reason for DeSantis' decision.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:13 AM   #13
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Yep...which is exactly my point. That and Linda McMahon runs a Trump Super PAC which I think is the major reason for DeSantis' decision.
Yes, there are ties between Trump and McMahon.

To be honest though, I don't think that factors much into the decision to let the WWE continue creating shows in Florida.

I do watch wrestling, and the shows themselves seem to be fairly low-risk affairs.... no audience, probably minimal staff. Employees are also screened regularly (temperatures taken before entering the arena) and mask use is encouraged. (I don't know if they make any effort to keep wrestlers separate backstage; I hope they do.)

The WWE does have a significant media presence so it makes sense that the Florida gov. would want to keep them happy (even if they didn't have a relationship with Trump.)

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 11:18 AM   #14
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Remember that anti-Malarial drug Trump kept pushing as some sort of miracle cure? "How can it hurt" he said.

From: https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...1-patients-die
A possible treatment for COVID-19, heavily touted by U.S. President Donald Trump in recent weeks, has been withdrawn from high-dose use in a Brazilian trial because it was feared to be having adverse effects on patients’ hearts. Chloroquine...has inspired hope in some medical circles amid reports that it can help to offset the symptoms of the deadly virus. But the New York Times reports that a recent clinical trial saw patients develop irregular heartbeats, a number of whom developed heart arrhythmias and later died.

(I think someone else posted in another thread about other studies from Europe that wer likewise canceled amid problems.)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 11:21 AM   #15
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, there are ties between Trump and McMahon.

To be honest though, I don't think that factors much into the decision to let the WWE continue creating shows in Florida.

I do watch wrestling, and the shows themselves seem to be fairly low-risk affairs.... no audience, probably minimal staff. Employees are also screened regularly (temperatures taken before entering the arena) and mask use is encouraged. (I don't know if they make any effort to keep wrestlers separate backstage; I hope they do.)

The WWE does have a significant media presence so it makes sense that the Florida gov. would want to keep them happy (even if they didn't have a relationship with Trump.)
How anyone thinks the WWE is an essential service is beyond me. Keeping the WWE 'happy' is about as unimportant as it gets.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:21 AM   #16
rockysmith76
Banned

Does that remain true if without an abortion both the mother and foetus will die?
I said the frivolous ones, the ones where baby was basically an oops and an act of irresponsibility and would also take away a hospital bed from one of the life threatening ones. That said, likening abortions, given the myriad of other potential serious operations that could be needed, to being as essential as food is just a stupid analogy.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 11:25 AM   #17
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Remember that anti-Malarial drug Trump kept pushing as some sort of miracle cure? "How can it hurt" he said.

A possible treatment for COVID-19, heavily touted by U.S. President Donald Trump in recent weeks, has been withdrawn from high-dose use in a Brazilian trial because it was feared to be having adverse effects on patients’ hearts. Chloroquine...has inspired hope in some medical circles amid reports that it can help to offset the symptoms of the deadly virus. But the New York Times reports that a recent clinical trial saw patients develop irregular heartbeats, a number of whom developed heart arrhythmias and later died.

(I think someone else posted in another thread about other studies from Europe that wer likewise canceled amid problems.)
Fake News! It's a 'game changer' and the early testing results are 'very, very encouraging'! (Not a) Dr.Trump says so.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:36 AM   #18
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I said the frivolous ones, the ones where baby was basically an oops and an act of irresponsibility and would also take away a hospital bed from one of the life threatening ones.
In case you didn't know...

Most abortions take place in the first trimester and don't require hospitalization.

Also, keep in mind that if the goal were really to limit the spread of Covid-19, then banning abortions is the worst thing to do... after all, an abortion would require maybe one or 2 visits to a clinic, and its done... On the other hand, a pregnant woman who is keeping the baby will have to go to seek medical attention multiple times (for example, a recommended once a month visit at minimum to the doctor, plus other visits for ultrasounds, blood tests, etc.) And that's assuming the baby and mother are healthy. Each one of those visits provides additional risk for spreading the virus.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th April 2020, 11:40 AM   #19
rockysmith76
Banned

Most abortions take place in the first trimester and don't require hospitalization.

Also, keep in mind that if the goal were really to limit the spread of Covid-19, then banning abortions is the worst thing to do... after all, an abortion would require maybe one or 2 visits to a clinic, and its done... On the other hand, a pregnant woman who is keeping the baby will have to go to seek medical attention multiple times (for example, a recommended once a month visit at minimum to the doctor, plus other visits for ultrasounds, blood tests, etc.) And that's assuming the baby and mother are healthy. Each one of those visits provides additional risk for spreading the virus.
Or maybe just keep ones legs shut. Seems simpler.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:00 PM   #20
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

How anyone thinks the WWE is an essential service is beyond me. Keeping the WWE 'happy' is about as unimportant as it gets.
Keeping Donald Trump happy is pretty darned if you don’t want the federal government shorting you on ventilators and other pandemic related medical supplies. Trump is in the WWE hall of fame, and Linda McMahon has been part of the Trump administration since 2017.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:02 PM   #21
Meadmaker

The posts that I saw (and I posted a link to one of them) were also about the Brazilian study.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:05 PM   #22
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If the anti-choice people have their way, abortions won't even take place in a medical facility at all but in backrooms and basements like they did before. Many of those women ended up in the hospital and/or dead.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:14 PM   #23
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

If the anti-choice people have their way, abortions won't even take place in a medical facility at all but in backrooms and basements like they did before. Many of those women ended up in the hospital and/or dead.
Read the response above. Those sluts should have just kept their legs shut.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:15 PM   #24
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

No mention of the guy's responsibility of course.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 12:16 PM   #25
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Keeping Donald Trump happy is pretty darned if you don’t want the federal government shorting you on ventilators and other pandemic related medical supplies. Trump is in the WWE hall of fame, and Linda McMahon has been part of the Trump administration since 2017.
This is Florida, not some blue state, and Trump's home state. DeSantis is one of Trump's biggest supporters and a Trump favorite. Not declaring the WWE an essential business is not going to make Trump turn on his state and one of his favorite sycophants by shorting them on PPEs and ventilators.

Linda McMahon has not been a member of Trump's admin. since 2019. It's her position as chair of his re-election SuperPAC that and wife of the WWE's owner that are the motivating factors for this. Trump being a member of the WWE Hall of Fame is completely irrelevant.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:20 PM   #26
Lithrael
Master Poster

Yeah! Just like all you have to do to make Marxist communism work is have no corruption, laziness or greed.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 12:20 PM   #27
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I stand corrected. And it's not like women ever get pregnant by rape because their bodies just shut down like Todd Akin said, right? And condoms never break. And birth control never fails.

ETA: I can only see his comments if someone quotes them. Otherwise, I'm spared.
Old 14th April 2020, 01:26 PM   #28
Armitage72
Philosopher

I think this is just so typical for Trump and his response.

He says all the right things, and acts like they are done, but they aren't. He just isn't getting the job done, and he doesn't even seem aware that he isn't. He announced that something good will happen. Yay. Now, about that testing...

The complete lack of substantive content in the response reminds me of an episode of "Good Times" in which a local politician was running for reelection. He responded to questions about any issue with the exact same phrase, "I have very definite opinions about that! Very definite opinions!" He never stated what those opinions actually were, but his bombastic presentation won over enough of the voters.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 01:32 PM   #29
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I said the frivolous ones, the ones where baby was basically an oops and an act of irresponsibility and would also take away a hospital bed from one of the life threatening ones. That said, likening abortions, given the myriad of other potential serious operations that could be needed, to being as essential as food is just a stupid analogy.
Abortion is a responsible act. To take away choice takes away responsibility. That said, abortions are essential because they are time dependent. But that point went right over your head, as was said by others.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 01:34 PM   #30
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

And that's what anti-abortion is all about. It's about punishing women for having sex. Thank you for making that point loud and clear.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 01:35 PM   #31
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

That's the goal. To punish/kill women for having sex.
Old 14th April 2020, 03:32 PM   #32
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

So now Trump has announced that he will stop US funding to the WHO.

Though what they need with it, I don't know. Roger Daltrey's got a trout farm, for God's sake.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 03:51 PM   #33
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If you consider that the answer and it is a reasonable standard for anyone to follow do you really want someone who couldn’t even manage that to be raising a child?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 04:26 PM   #34
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is just trying to pass blame to anyone but himself, including the W.H.O. Remember, he takes no responsibility.
Old 14th April 2020, 05:27 PM   #35
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
So now Trump has announced that he will stop US funding to the WHO.
Does anyone know if he can actually do that?

Normally it is Congress that deals with financial issues (although they may allocate funds with the president actually spending money). Just wondering if trump actually has the authority to withhold funds to the WHO or does he need Congress to agree.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th April 2020, 05:28 PM   #36
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If you consider that the answer and it is a reasonable standard for anyone to follow do you really want someone who couldn’t even manage that to be raising a child?
Not his problem. Let the child starve for all he cares.
Old 14th April 2020, 05:49 PM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Not his problem. Let the child starve for all he cares.
Correct. Fetuses are beloved of Gawd. He doesn't give a **** about actual children.
Old 14th April 2020, 05:52 PM   #38
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Does anyone know if he can actually do that?

Normally it is Congress that deals with financial issues (although they may allocate funds with the president actually spending money). Just wondering if trump actually has the authority to withhold funds to the WHO or does he need Congress to agree.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
Apparently he does. This is Trump lashing out at the WHO in his continuing attempt to blame others and take no responsibility for his own screw ups. After all, his handling of the crisis has been "perfect" just like his Ukraine phone call.
Old 14th April 2020, 06:10 PM   #39
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

I do watch wrestling, and the shows themselves seem to be fairly low-risk affairs.... no audience, probably minimal staff. Employees are also screened regularly...
Personally I don't think it is an "essential service"... just that they take enough steps to minimize the risk that it could be considered acceptable.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th April 2020, 06:15 PM   #40
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Personally I don't think it is an "essential service"... just that they take enough steps to minimize the risk that it could be considered acceptable.
DeSantis declared it an 'essential service' which is ludicrous.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics