IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Closed Thread
Old 14th April 2020, 06:17 PM   #41
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Indiana congressman, Republican Rep. Trey Hollingsworth, says a higher death toll from COVID-19 is the lesser of two evils when compared to a 20% drop in the Gross Domestic Product in a financial quarter.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/polit...rus/index.html
Old 14th April 2020, 06:34 PM   #42
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Indiana congressman, Republican Rep. Trey Hollingsworth, says a higher death toll from COVID-19 is the lesser of two evils when compared to a 20% drop in the Gross Domestic Product in a financial quarter.

Is letting people die one of those 'family values' the GOP claims to support?

Economies come back. Dead people don't.

Yeah, yeah...that's an opening for zombie jokes, I know.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 06:39 PM   #43
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I should feel refreshed that the subtext is becoming the text. Generally speaking I'll take honest evil over passive aggressive dishonest evil anytime.

I still don't though.
Old 14th April 2020, 06:47 PM   #44
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So much for the claim that the halting of abortions in TX was due to not wanting to take away PPE, other essentials to fight Covid 19 and hospital beds:

The order also prohibited medical abortions which require none of the above. A woman takes two pills in early pregnancy and basically has a heavy period. A TX judge just threw the ban on medical abortions out. This was just another way that TX is trying to prevent women from having abortions.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 07:53 PM   #45
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Does anyone know if he can actually do that?

Normally it is Congress that deals with financial issues (although they may allocate funds with the president actually spending money). Just wondering if trump actually has the authority to withhold funds to the WHO or does he need Congress to agree.

Trump has absolute authority. He said so himself.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 08:11 PM   #46
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
And that's what anti-abortion is all about. It's about punishing women for having sex. Thank you for making that point loud and clear.
+1
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 08:17 PM   #47
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
So now Trump has announced that he will stop US funding to the WHO.

Though what they need with it, I don't know. Roger Daltrey's got a trout farm, for God's sake.
I saw him last May. His voice is going. That's the bread and butter.
Old 14th April 2020, 08:18 PM   #48
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
I said the frivolous ones, the ones where baby was basically an oops and an act of irresponsibility and would also take away a hospital bed from one of the life threatening ones. That said, likening abortions, given the myriad of other potential serious operations that could be needed, to being as essential as food is just a stupid analogy.
How is the view from the cheap seats? Easy for you to say being that you don't have to carry the baby.
Old 14th April 2020, 08:41 PM   #49
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My cousin is dead. **** you, Trey.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:51 PM   #50
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

That’s makes at least two Republicans who have suggested that we should just let people die.

It makes me nostalgic for the time when comparing Republicans to Nazis was just hyperbole.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 12:59 AM   #51
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

They don't bother pretending anymore, do they? All hail the great and mighty Free Market, and **** the masses.

******* sociopaths.
Old 15th April 2020, 04:16 AM   #52
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's name will be printed on stimulus cheques, which some sources claim will delay them by days
Old 15th April 2020, 06:03 AM   #53
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Fortunately, that will not hinder those people who receive direct deposit.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 07:51 AM   #54
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Yeah! Just like all you have to do to make Marxist communism work is have no corruption, laziness or greed.
no one is silly rhetoric and the other is having individual responsibility for ones actions rather than create a medical issue later.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 07:52 AM   #55
rockysmith76
Banned

Abortion is a responsible act. To take away choice takes away responsibility. That said, abortions are essential because they are time dependent. But that point went right over your head, as was said by others.
or a little restraint goes a long way in most cases, freeing up the care needed for the actually life threatening ones.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 07:54 AM   #56
rockysmith76
Banned

And that's what anti-abortion is all about. It's about punishing women for having sex. Thank you for making that point loud and clear.
no punishment, women having casual sex as much as anyone else, they should have the responsibility to handle the weight of their actions. Life threatening situations regarding abortion bear the need for care the others should lessened in priority. Spare me the liberal nonsense otherwise.
Old 15th April 2020, 07:55 AM   #57
rockysmith76
Banned

That's the goal. To punish/kill women for having sex.
No thats just the rush of liberals towards hyperbole.
Old 15th April 2020, 08:03 AM   #58
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

no one is silly rhetoric and the other is having individual responsibility for ones actions rather than create a medical issue later.

Do you think such people make good parents?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:06 AM   #59
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I doubt he cares. After all, it's about punishing women for having sex.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:10 AM   #60
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I gotta say the Right's...

Step 1: Do/say something evil.
Step 2: Wait for someone to go "That's evil, stop doing it."
Step 3: Tell the person they are being hyperbolic.
Step 4: Keep being evil

...strategy is working better then I thought.
Old 15th April 2020, 08:11 AM   #61
Lurch
Master Poster

or a little restraint goes a long way in most cases, freeing up the care needed for the actually life threatening ones.
Tell that to the folk whose diets and lifestyles lead to heart disease and diabetes, to take just two bad outcomes that can lead to ongoing strain on the medical system. That consumes a hell of a lot more resources than conducting abortions, and results in good part from lack of discipline. Yet you get your knickers in a twist over women's reproductive rights.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:13 AM   #62
rockysmith76
Banned

If you consider that the answer and it is a reasonable standard for anyone to follow do you really want someone who couldn’t even manage that to be raising a child?
fair point, but the responsibility angle is being overlooked by some in the thread, also, a seperate thread for abortion discussion. This one was for covid I thought.
Old 15th April 2020, 08:14 AM   #63
rockysmith76
Banned

Not his problem. Let the child starve for all he cares.
or they could be put up for adoption etc etc, Im not the one advocating dead kids..
Old 15th April 2020, 08:16 AM   #64
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Correct. Fetuses are beloved of Gawd. He doesn't give a **** about actual children.
and yet aborting the kid is the only option, so much love behind that notion. Right.....

The trouble with all this noise, is that abortion shouldn't be treated as black and white, but case by case and granular is scope, but all I see the liberal end doing is in black and white terms. And false nazification of any who disagree with that black and white notion.
Old 15th April 2020, 08:16 AM   #65
Suddenly
No Punting

no punishment, women having casual sex as much as anyone else, they should have the responsibility to handle the weight of their actions. Life threatening situations regarding abortion bear the need for care the others should lessened in priority. Spare me the liberal nonsense otherwise.
Carrying a child to term uses far far far far far far far more medical resources than an abortion. Also far far far.... far more dangerous and unsafe.

If medical capacity is the controlling issue, the government should be even more supportive of abortions than usual.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:18 AM   #66
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Carrying a child to term uses far far far far far far far more medical resources than an abortion. Also far far far.... far more dangerous and unsafe.

If medical capacity is the controlling issue, the government should be even more supportive of abortions than usual.
so a life is ended for convenience, how compassionate. Theres more than one option.
Old 15th April 2020, 08:20 AM   #67
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

or they could be put up for adoption etc etc, Im not the one advocating dead kids..
Who is advocating for dead kids? I'm advocating for abortion rights, which is about terminating a medical condition of a woman.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:21 AM   #68
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

and yet aborting the kid is the only option
Kids are not aborted. Please stop pushing this lie. Pregnancies are aborted.
Old 15th April 2020, 08:22 AM   #69
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
How is the view from the cheap seats? Easy for you to say being that you don't have to carry the baby.
better than being the one killing it, there are two lives involved after all. False nazification dully noted
Old 15th April 2020, 08:23 AM   #70
rockysmith76
Banned

adoption is another option if not
Old 15th April 2020, 08:25 AM   #71
rockysmith76
Banned

Who is advocating for dead kids? I'm advocating for abortion rights, which is about terminating a medical condition of a woman.
which is carrying a child, and killing it in the process, so, you are
Old 15th April 2020, 08:26 AM   #72
Suddenly
No Punting

and yet aborting the kid is the only option, so much love behind that notion. Right.....

The trouble with all this noise, is that abortion shouldn't be treated as black and white, but case by case and granular is scope, but all I see the liberal end doing is in black and white terms. And false nazification of any who disagree with that black and white notion.
Uh huh.

Early term abortions should be freely available and carry no more stigma than being on the pill. Do them in malls like they do lasik surgery.

Forcing a woman to bring an unwanted child to term is torture.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:26 AM   #73
rockysmith76
Banned

Kids are not aborted. Please stop pushing this lie. Pregnancies are aborted.
not a lie, how some see it, maybe not convenient for a black and white look at the subject, so not a lie. Rationalization denied
Old 15th April 2020, 08:33 AM   #74
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Early term abortions should be freely available and carry no more stigma than being on the pill.
Let's not let people in on the fact that the pill can work by preventing a fertilised egg from attaching to the lining of the womb. They'll just seek to restrict women's reproductive rights further.
Old 15th April 2020, 08:33 AM   #75
Meadmaker

fair point, but the responsibility angle is being overlooked by some in the thread, also, a seperate thread for abortion discussion. This one was for covid I thought.
It's not a responsibility angle in any meaningful way.

What has happened is that there is a service, abortion, which is normally available. It is a service that cannot be put off. There is a time limit. It is a service that has a major impact on a person's life.

So, it is normally available, it has a time limit, and has a major impact on someone's life.

So, should it continue to be available. The answer ought to be yes, unless its continued availability is jeopardizing other people's lives. Can you say, with a straight face, that the continued availability of abortions constitutes a sufficiently extreme risk to either providers or recipients of the service that continuing to off that service is something that ought to be prohibited?

I'm prepared to say that about, for example, restaurant food. I miss eating at restaurants, but under the circumstances, it risks the health of patrons and providers. While I enjoy restaurant food, the lack of it will have no impact on my life in the post-pandemic world. Therefore, I'm ok with banning it.

Can you say the same about abortions?

Is there any other service that has those three characteristics,

Normally available,
Time limited,
Major impact on life,

which has been restricted, or ought to be restricted, due to the pandemic?

I can't think of any. It seems to me that some politicians who do not want abortions to be available, ever, are taking advantage of the epidemic to push an unrelated agenda.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:38 AM   #76
Suddenly
No Punting

which is carrying a child, and killing it in the process, so, you are
We can do all sorts of absurd things by shifting meanings and considering a zygote or fetus to be a child.

If a child did to someone what a fetus does to the mother carrying it we would condone any force necessary to escape or prevent the situation.

Which is no less an absurd way to look at this than is claiming a fetus is a child.
Old 15th April 2020, 08:42 AM   #77
rockysmith76
Banned

We can do all sorts of absurd things by shifting meanings and considering a zygote or fetus to be a child.

If a child did to someone what a fetus does to the mother carrying it we would condone any force necessary to escape or prevent the situation.

Which is no less an absurd way to look at this than is claiming a fetus is a child.
No opinions vary. Its just as easy to ask why of all things, say Heart ailments, stroke patients and a myriad of other things, what makes abortion so much more "essential" than any of those when you have a limited number of beds during a pandemic?
Old 15th April 2020, 08:46 AM   #78
Meadmaker

No opinions vary. Its just as easy to ask why of all things, say Heart ailments, stroke patients and a myriad of other things, what makes abortion so much more "essential" than any of those when you have a limited number of beds during a pandemic?
But that's just absurd. Do you think the "beds" in an abortion clinic would suddenly be made available to stroke patients now that abortion is ruled non-essential? It's a phony argument. Abortion is an outpatient procedure generally conducted in a facility specific for that purpose.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:50 AM   #79
Lukraak_Sisser
Philosopher

How is it legal for a politician to use tax payers money in a crisis and then put his name on it?
Does that mean democrats can do that too? Especially during election years?
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2020, 08:53 AM   #80
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
But that's just absurd. Do you think the "beds" in an abortion clinic would suddenly be made available to stroke patients now that abortion is ruled non-essential? It's a phony argument. Abortion is an outpatient procedure generally conducted in a facility specific for that purpose.
********, when theres a shortage of beds theirs are as good as any for helping to stem the curve. Nothing absurd about it. Whats absurd is the obsession of one type treatment when all could be potentially impacted by the pandemic. Never mind there's a rising number of Covid patients each day, just keep flushing fetuses. That's absurd.

Last edited by zooterkin; 16th April 2020 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Rule 10
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics